What are you reading at the moment. (V2)

The Literature Forum is where you can talk about your favourite books, authors and short stories. Please direct all Artemis Fowl/Eoin Colfer related discussion to the appropriate forum though!
AF Lover
Truly Devoted Fan
Real First Name: Lucy

Re: What are you reading at the moment. (V2)

Postby AF Lover » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:25 pm

Catch You Later, Traitor by Avi. I recently finished Schooled by Gordon Korman.

GMontag
Swear Toad

Postby GMontag » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:07 am

Artemis Fowl: The Aztec Incident by AgiVega... because every once in a while, it's worth re-reading (and because it's totally part of my headcanon).

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Axxonu

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:51 pm

My mom always has a stack of fifteen books and she'll read a little of each one at a time. I always asked her why she didn't just read one thing at a time and actually finish something...now I stopped wondering because I realize I do the same thing. XD!!

I have quite a few things I'm in the middle of. I'll get in the mood for something, read a lot of it, then put it aside and start reading something else, then come back to the other later. So here's what I have going right now:

I just finished Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone, so my most current book is HP and the Chamber of Secrets. I've been working on trying to finish one of my old fanfictions I started back in 2005 (a YGO/HP crossover xD), and it really put me in the mood to read through the whole HP series again.

Uncle Tom's Cabin (at about 70% on my kindle, as far as classics go, one of my favorite books)

Blue and Hazel (an AF fanfiction by optimic girl94; I'm pretty sure I read the first chapter or two years ago, as I did with quite a few af fanfictions back then, and I was looking at it again recently and completely got sucked in. One of the very, very few fanfictions that I was actually tempted to skip to the end and see what happened because I was that impatient to find out, though I forced my patient side to reassert itself.)

Artemis Fowl and the Time Paradox (I bought the kindle versions of all the AF book ages ago, and I realized that I'd never actually physically read the series clear through [I'd only listened to the audiobooks], so I started reading them. I'm finally on TTP now, but it's kind of been sitting there for a while. I've tried to draw out reading the AF series as long as possible, because reading it helps keep me thinking about the series and inspires me to keep working on my AF related projects. Though in fact, I find I draw most of these out intentionally to enjoy them for as long as possible. XD)

May be others, but I'm not sure.

On audiobook: (Now, for audiobook, I tend to just read one thing at a time, unless it has to go back to the library before I'm finished, because it's too much work to switch back and forth and keep track of where I am.) I started in on Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe not too long ago. It's too early to tell whether it's going to be way over my head—many of the scientific concepts being gone over so far (relativity, particles also acting as waves, etc.) are concepts I've already been introduced to, so I mostly understood them, but some of the newer ones I'm not too sure about. (It didn't help that as I was listening, I was working on a commissioned artwork, and so my concentration was divided. X3) Now I'm sort of getting into the section that describes string theory now, so we'll see how I get that. (I always think I'm understanding it until I try to explain what I learned to someone else; then I realize I didn't get it at all. XD)

I'm a little ashamed to say I haven't read Agivega's fics yet...they are staples of the AF fanfiction world, and have been on my list forever (and I know I read the first few chapters at one time), but I haven't gotten around to it yet. (Like I said, I tend to read a little of things, then go away and come back again later. I have this thing where I have a tendency to save things until I'm in exactly the right mood to enjoy them to their fullest, because my mood can have quite a large impact how I respond to a book/series. So I like to wait until the time is right.) I am a part of AgiVega's AF group on deviantArt, though. (So I have felt the effects of AgiVega's enormous, far-reaching influence on this fandom.)

So, I guess that's what I'm reading. X3 My only real two times for reading are either when I'm listening to audiobooks while working on art projects, or when I'm too tired to do anything else (maybe during my breaks at work or after I get home from work), so I'll go through periods where I don't read that much. (Like now, I have a huge stack of audiobooks backed up because I've been going through a dry spell as far as art goes, and I don't read as much physically when I'm in a state of high mentally energy enough to work on my writing, which I've managed to do at least on and off lately.)

But, anyway. XD
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [Post TAC]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28912232/Artemis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

AF Lover
Truly Devoted Fan
Real First Name: Lucy

Postby AF Lover » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:10 pm

Legend by Marie Lu

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Axxonu

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:56 pm

Ooh, so many people ask for that one in the bookstore I work at. X3 I always figured it must be good. (Unfortunately, for a long time we only had 'Prodigy,' the second book in the series. The store I work at has limited space, and it has a penchant for only have the second or third books in a series...I have to apologize to customers a lot. XD)

Update on what I'm reading:

Finished HP and the Chamber of Secrets, and am partway through The Prisoner of Azkaban.

Finished Blue and Hazel (sooo awesome, I love it. For some reason, I feel like optimisticgirl and I have similar ways of thinking...a bit diabolical. Still need to type up the notes I wrote for my reviews and submit them, though.)

One disc away from being done with The Elegant Universe, I'm planning to finish it up today while I clean out my art cabinet. (...Ergh. That place is a toxic waste dump, I'm telling you.)

Haven't made any progress on TTP or Uncle Tom's cabin, I'm going to wait until my mood comes back around to them.

Haven't decided what I'll listen to on audiobook after I'm finished with Brian Greene, but I'll probably decide today. Possibly something by Ben Carson, I've heard a lot of good things about him, and I have a few audiobooks from the library sitting in my stack. (Along with a lot of other stuff. X3 Haven't been drawing much lately, so they've just kind of stacked up...But on the bright side, that means I've been getting quite a bit done on my writing projects. I finally overcame my writer's block on new NH material yesterday and forced my way through the end of a chapter, and got a fair way into a new one.)

Also, on ffnet, The Fowl Team was updated not too long ago, so I've been slowly reading through that, bit by bit. (I like to savor things...part of why I'm holding back reading through the rest of TTP. X3) After that, I might try to pick up something else. (Since GMontag recommended AgiVega's fic, that might be next, though I'm not sure at the moment.)
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [Post TAC]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28912232/Artemis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

FadingLight
Mud Man

Postby FadingLight » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:57 pm

I'm reading This Dark Endeavor, by Kenneth Oppel, and pretty recently got caught up on the Wings of Fire series, by Tui T. Sutherland. Also, I think I'm going to read Child Of The Dark Prophecy, by T. A. Barron, and reread Atlanis In Peril, by the same author.

Also, I recently read a bunch of fics by Stradivari, on fanfiction.net. They aren't quite like the books, but the descriptions really paint a picture in your head and the author is good at symbolism and metaphors. My favorite's "Shamrock". And Rocket Axxonu, I was actually reading your fic, Noble Heart, as well.

Also, I started cheering inside the moment I read the words "The Fowl Team was updated not too long ago", since I read that in February and when it cut off at Chapter Fifteen (I think), I was afraid that it was abandoned, despite the author page saying that it wasn't, or that it would stay dormant for a really long time. So it's great that it's been updated.
I said you were smart, Mud Boy. I was wrong; are exceptional.—Qwan
Which do you think seems more suspicious? An alien-looking craft hovering in the yard of a country home, or a floating doorway with a centaur standing in it?—Domovoi Butler
We can only change the future, not the past or present.—Artemis Fowl II
I'm trying to care, Artemis. But I thought it was all supposed to be over when the fat lady sings. Well, she's singing, but it doesn't appear to be over.—Holly Short

GMontag
Swear Toad

Postby GMontag » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:59 pm

Just finished reading The Three Body Problem by Liu Cixin. It's one of the first "hard-sci-fi" books I've read in a while, but it's pretty different from what I'm used to for sci-fi. It's much more meditative, and incorporates a fun amount of speculative science (that isn't just "it's there because we needed a FTL drive" type of thing) which I was amused by. Also, that fact that it was from a Chinese perspective, and a good portion of it happens in the 1960's made it pretty different than a lot of the sci-fi books I'm more used to, which are typically much more futuristic and western-oriented.

Merv Simestra
Council Member
Real First Name: Meg
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Merv Simetra

Postby Merv Simestra » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:34 pm

What am I reading right now? I'm reading Shadows on the Stars by T.A. Barron (part of The Great Tree of Avalon series), a collection of Edgar Allan Poe's works, Sense and Sensibility, and a collection of Grimm's fairytales. So you could say I'm kind a busy with reading. :P I am enjoying the stories though. I forgot how much fun it was to finish a book in a week. College takes a lot of free time out of reading.
"On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God."
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble."

Procrastinator and Obsessive are my middle names.

Spoiler:
Voted Eternity Awards 2013 winner of...
Favorite Moderator/Administrator
Best Journal Writer
The Sensible One
Most Likely to Run for President
Most Devoted to AFC
and Always in the Know.
Again with the president thing.

Shameless plug: visit my website!.

Pandora Hearts, the most epic manga to have existed. 2006--2015

Return to “Literature”