[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/paybas/breadcrumbmenu/event/listener.php on line 190: Undefined index: 84
BETA Testing the new site! **READ** -- [[Page update 25/07]] - Page 2 - Artemis Fowl Confidential Fan Forum

BETA Testing the new site! **READ** -- [[Page update 25/07]]

All other projects from the past.
J
Dwarf

Postby J » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:37 pm

On the subject of iframes: in theory they should be a lot faster than php includes because the browser can cache them so they'll only be loaded once. After you've been to one page on the site, every other page you navigate to shouldn't have to load the left and right frames since they're identical on every page.

However, for this to work you need to set your HTTP headers correctly, otherwise they'll still being loaded for every page because the browser can't tell if they've been changed since the last time they were received (which is what is happening at the moment). Actually this applies for all pages on the site, but it's more of an obvious problem for the frames.

There are a couple of ways of doing this. The most efficient headers to use are Max-Age or Expires (best combined with Date). This tells the browser how long it can reuse a copy of the page that it has received before it should download it from the server again. If you set the Expires date to some time in 2008, in theory the browser won't even connect to your server again until 2008. Unfortunately that also means the user won't see any changes you've made to the page between now and 2008 so this is not something you should set to longer than a day or two (and definately not advisable right now when you're beta testing and changing things a lot).

A more realistic form of caching is the use of the Last-Modified header. With regular HTML the webserver should handle this automatically, but if you're generating the pages with PHP you're going to need to do it yourself. Everytime you change the PHP (or any other content/database/whatever that will effect the output of the page) you should update the Last-Modified header. The browser will still connect to the server every time it needs to see the page, but it can tell the server the date it last received the page and if it hasn't changed the server won't send anything back which will save a huge chunk of bandwidth.

The Last-Modified technique requires the server to respond to If-Modified-Since headers and I'm not sure if that is done automatically for PHP or how much you'd need to do manually. If you need to do it all yourself it's not that straightforward, but I can probably help out if you want to give it a try.

Anyway, I hope that explanation made some sense. Let me know if you want more details.

J
Dwarf

Postby J » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:49 pm

Some other things I noticed when looking at how the server was responding:

Your favicon link is broken. It's currently set to http://beta.artemis-fowl.com/includes/linkhref.jpg which is returning 404.

Also I noticed a bunch of permanent redirect from the Images directory to the images directory. This is just a couple of examples:

http://artemis-fowl.com/Images/newsrightbg.jpg
http://artemis-fowl.com/Images/Author/colfer1.jpg
http://artemis-fowl.com/Images/hayfestival.jpg
http://artemis-fowl.com/Images/competit ... banner.jpg

This is quite inefficient since the browser needs to make two connects for every image. You should either change all the URLs in your HTML/PHP to point to the new directory, or use an internal redirect (using mod_rewrite) so the browser won't even notice. Changing the links in your HTML is better, though, because it puts less load on the server.

Matt
Ruler of the People
Ruler of the People
Real First Name: Matt
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Matt

Postby Matt » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:15 pm

I've fixed all spelling errors and a few coding errors up to this point. My main concern is to get the complete site up And then modify, but this is working out great so far, thanks, and keep em' coming!

nindra
Council Member

Postby nindra » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:01 pm

TOD (bookfour.php)
Page Checked In: Firefox, Konqueror
Page Displays Correctly: No errors
Spelling Errors: None
Link Errors: None
Other: Charset-problems, '-character doesn't display correctly on Firefox or Konqueror (screenshot from Firefox), I tried to fix used charset manually from browser's options (I tried ISO-8859-1, ISO-8859-2, ISO-8859-14, ISO-8859-15, Windows-1252 (default)), but I didn't find any that works (UTF-8 gave the best result so far (only one question-mark-character, or a box), but still the wrong).
TLC-page's '-marks worked well.
æ

Matt
Ruler of the People
Ruler of the People

Postby Matt » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:11 pm

The 'bookfour.php' problem should be fixed now. When the site gets moved to the correct server, that issue will be resolved, I haven't uploaded the image directories to the new testing subdomain.

J
Dwarf

Postby J » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:10 pm

I'm not sure is this is something you care about, but I have a suggestion for fixing the effects problems that I've been seeing on linked images.

First add the following styles to your stylesheet.

a.imglink img {
border: 2px solid #ffffff;
}

a.imglink img:hover {
border: 2px solid #000000;
}

a.imglink:hover {
background-color: transparent;
}

Then assign any a tags surrounding an img with the class imglink. That gets the border to change color between white and black on both Firefox and Opera. It still doesn't work in IE7, but at least this way it's always white rather than the default blue link colour which looks lame.

The background-color:transparent should hopefully also solve that other weird effect that [s]Gus[/s] nindra (got my penguins confused) was reporting.

Anyway, that's just a suggestion. I don't know that much about css so there may be much better ways to do this, but it seemed to work in the couple of tests I ran on my browsers.
Last edited by J on Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matt
Ruler of the People
Ruler of the People

Postby Matt » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:26 pm

Lovely, I'll add that in now. Keep em' coming guys, you'll all be receiving a... gift for this... Wink

Hoonah*
Pixie

Postby Hoonah* » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:41 pm

Agh! I forgot that I was a BETA tester! And I did not even mean to become one..I accidently clicked the button! Not that I mind. Taking a look at the site, now. Not that I understand all this tech stuff...
I am/will/a/an/the:

<><Jesus><>,

Lordess Hoonah of the OMGIMTFRGA club

Accidental Typo

Resident RPG expert

Encase all of your pocket change in Lime Green Jell-O

Dominate the world with an army of mini robotic decorative knights constructed of melted tin foil, armed with curling ribbon

Hoonah*
Pixie

Postby Hoonah* » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:55 pm

The Lost Colony page
Page Checked In: IE
Page Displays Correctly: No Problems in IE
Other: All looks good, now. I think this page is fine, but I do agree that the US cover should be added at some point.

The Opal Deception Page
Page Checked In: IE
Page Displays Correctly: No problems in IE
Other:

This-
I am/will/a/an/the:

<><Jesus><>,

Lordess Hoonah of the OMGIMTFRGA club

Accidental Typo

Resident RPG expert

Encase all of your pocket change in Lime Green Jell-O

Dominate the world with an army of mini robotic decorative knights constructed of melted tin foil, armed with curling ribbon

arty_gal
Tomato President

Postby arty_gal » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:02 am

Book Pages

(New covers should be added.)

Book1: Tested on Firefox working fine. No typing errors.
Book2: Same....working fine, no typos.
Book3: Same again.
Book4: Same thing Hoonah pointed out.
Book5: No problems as far as the technoligically challenged eye can see. Razz

Main Menu

HomeLink: Works fine in FF
About: Again fine
Advertising: Fine I think?
Chat: Fine
Competitons: Error 404 Page not found on FF
Contact us: Error 404 again
Fowl Casts: Again 404!
Links/ Link to us: 404
Archived news: Working
Site Staff: 404
Upcoming features: Again 404

Hope that helped

Matt
Ruler of the People
Ruler of the People

Postby Matt » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:56 pm

New Page up for testing. I think what I'd like is to have all the errors pointed out, and when I've finished site, I'll comb through and fix all of the errors and then we'll be ready.

http://beta.artemis-fowl.com/quizzes.php

Voldy
Here's my card.
Here's my card.

Postby Voldy » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:12 pm

The quizzes work fine for me, however the links to the Book One and Book Two quizzes don't work. For the second quiz, http://artemis-fowl.com/quiz-bk3.php is the link, and I get an error. It gives a similar link that may work, http://artemis-fowl.com/quiz-bk3.htm and it does work...

Matt
Ruler of the People
Ruler of the People

Postby Matt » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:15 pm

They should work now.

J
Dwarf

Postby J » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:38 pm

The Book Three Quiz link is still not working for me. It's currently set to:

http://artemis-fowl.com/quiz-bk3.php