homosexuality

Friendly, spirited debates please people! Keep it clean.

Should gay marriage be legalized

yes
71%
no
29%

Total votes: 183

levina
Commander

Re: homosexuality

Postby levina » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:11 am

It doesn't matter whether it's 4% or 10%. Different studies can yield different results, and homosexuality is a hard thing to measure. Besides, my point was that it was a very small percentage of the overall population.

Yes, it's all fine if you just state the fact that you think someone's argument is weak, but I think in a debate "show, don't tell" is the way, so why do it?

Tenzen12
Pixie

Postby Tenzen12 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:47 am

OK I have impression hat I get what you mean. But what about little example? :laughing: I would like know your oppinion on both of these arguments (Kitsi and mine) not from perspective of sides but mere logic, who do you think is more right on this one and why? (It is not trick or anything but just I wonder about that a bit)
Spot light steeling squad
Spoiler:
Criminal: Who are you guys!?
Tiger: You mean us? We're-
Blue Rose:We're the heroes of this town! [Steps on criminals face] My name is Blue Rose. We keep the peace in Sternbild at all times!
Tiger: ...What she said.
—Tiger and Bunny

Wolverine: Stay on topic, bub! This movie's about me!
Rorschach: Weren't all the X-Men movies about you?
— I'm A Marvel... And I'm A DC: Wolverine and Watchmen

Heroic Blue screen of Death
Spoiler:
Artemis: I don't like lollipops...

Venkman: Ray has gone bye-bye, Egon... what've you got left?
Egon: Sorry, Venkman, I'm terrified beyond the capacity for rational thought.
—Ghostbusters

Antonio: Hey, Blue Rose, help us out!
Karina(Blue Rose): Daughter... Wife... Haha. Hahaha... *eye twitch*
Antonio: It's no use! We broke her!
—Tiger and Bunny (get know her crush better... he is widower, though)

levina
Commander

Postby levina » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:17 am

Heh, I've only seen one of your posts against Kitsy's, so I don't have much to go on. If you really want to know, I don't think either of your arguments is "more right." You're both right with the facts you bring up, but you have different opinions about what these facts might mean. Kitsy's makes more sense to me - that's probably why I was arguing with you - because my opinion is similiar to hers...does that make sense?

P.S. Your avatar makes me feel weird when it stares at me . . . . .

Tenzen12
Pixie

Postby Tenzen12 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:11 am

I am not sure, but whatever I would say right now, would sound somehow querulously, which would be bad as I asked for your opinion from curiousity. I will thing what exactly say to this to bring my arguments clearly without that. (I will do it tomorow not later).

Anyway you others please ignore these two or three post between me and Levina until then and express yourself directly to KittsiXmine arguments (or bring yours own totaly unrelated to us :laughing: )

OK I am back and after thorought thinking I can say honestly It doesn't. Despite fact that there isn't issue about humanity dying out due homosexuality right now (which is issue I don't think anyone ever brought here yet), argument that homosexuals would do somethink that they find repulsive just to contribute society is ulikely in most cases. Straight people are same on that anyway.
Spot light steeling squad
Spoiler:
Criminal: Who are you guys!?
Tiger: You mean us? We're-
Blue Rose:We're the heroes of this town! [Steps on criminals face] My name is Blue Rose. We keep the peace in Sternbild at all times!
Tiger: ...What she said.
—Tiger and Bunny

Wolverine: Stay on topic, bub! This movie's about me!
Rorschach: Weren't all the X-Men movies about you?
— I'm A Marvel... And I'm A DC: Wolverine and Watchmen

Heroic Blue screen of Death
Spoiler:
Artemis: I don't like lollipops...

Venkman: Ray has gone bye-bye, Egon... what've you got left?
Egon: Sorry, Venkman, I'm terrified beyond the capacity for rational thought.
—Ghostbusters

Antonio: Hey, Blue Rose, help us out!
Karina(Blue Rose): Daughter... Wife... Haha. Hahaha... *eye twitch*
Antonio: It's no use! We broke her!
—Tiger and Bunny (get know her crush better... he is widower, though)

#Aurum Est Potestas#
Gremlin

Re:

Postby #Aurum Est Potestas# » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:05 pm

sudenkarento wrote:I believe that gay marraige is wrong; I believe it is a sin. I was raised to believe that homosexuality is a sin, and I believe it because I have read it in the Bible.

The Bible is my final authority on everything... I believe what it says.

Removed by staff.I am an atheist, but i won't start on that. You think that, because of the bible, you have a right to deny homosexuals happiness and love? Removed by staff. I have a whole lot of friends who are gay, and they may very well be the nicest and funniest people I've ever met. They deserve their rights!
"Trust me. I'm a genius."
-Artemis

Antilles
Rolling Thunder
Real First Name: Mohammad

Postby Antilles » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:11 pm

Aurum, regardless of your opinions you do not have the right to insult or attack other forum members. The debate forum is meant to be a civil discussion. I don't care if you disagree with their points of view but you will show respect to other members.
"oh sharkie is so evul" -sharkie
"Oh sure, ANTILLES gets love and hugs and confetti. What do I get? The halfway empty coffee carafe...and someone left the creamer out...it has lumps in it. I hate you all." -IzzyTehMuze
"OMGWOOT I COULD FEED 33 HUNGRY WEASELS" -Nick

AliceFowl
Dwarf
Real First Name: Alice

Postby AliceFowl » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:54 pm

I happen to be very good friends with some gay and bi-sexual people. I love them dearly and would never hurt them or attack them. However, I do personally believe, because I am a Christian, that it goes severely against God's plan for us as human beings. We were created to have children as male and female. The power to do so is, to me, strictly to be used between these two. Even for those who are atheists, you cannot say that evolution will kick in and change the human body to be capable of creating children between anything other than a male and female. It is simply how we were created.

As I have said, I have dear friends who are homosexuals, and I would never do anything to harm them, or attack them for their own feelings. But these are my beliefs, and I will stick by them.
Alice

Cosplayer. Shinigami. Some know me as the Shiki.

levina
Commander

Postby levina » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:57 pm

Evolution will never do that, but adoption can suffice. We have far more orphans in the world than we can deal with anyway, so perhaps more homosexual couples can be a good thing.

opalkoboi
Heiki Koboi
Real First Name: Phoebe
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Heiki Koboi

Postby opalkoboi » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:03 pm

To be honest there is no purpose to heterosexuality than to reproduce, other than that homosexual and heterosexual relationships. Just sayin'. As for 'God's design' well, I can't argue that as that is your belief, I personally think even if God made man to be with woman he a) made all humans, so gay people can't be a mistake, right? And god loves all his children so... b) over population, no harm in a few gay couples, in fact we could use a few more haha.

Also, this:
you cannot say that evolution will kick in and change the human body to be capable of creating children between anything other than a male and female. It is simply how we were created.

If I understand this correctly, you say there is only male and female? What about intersex people? Or people who identify as neither/both genders? Just sayin' again.

But Alice makes a good point, regardless of belief we should all respect each other, and just because you don't agree with something someone does doesn't mean you can't get along with them or be friends with them, and you're entitled to your belief just don't force it on others. Everyone deserves to be happy and live their life how they want :3
I see you too! XD

Merv Simestra
Council Member
Real First Name: Meg
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Merv Simetra

Postby Merv Simestra » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:12 pm

AliceFowl wrote:I happen to be very good friends with some gay and bi-sexual people. I love them dearly and would never hurt them or attack them. However, I do personally believe, because I am a Christian, that it goes severely against God's plan for us as human beings. We were created to have children as male and female. The power to do so is, to me, strictly to be used between these two. Even for those who are atheists, you cannot say that evolution will kick in and change the human body to be capable of creating children between anything other than a male and female. It is simply how we were created.

As I have said, I have dear friends who are homosexuals, and I would never do anything to harm them, or attack them for their own feelings. But these are my beliefs, and I will stick by them.

Here here, AliceFowl!

My opinion stands on this matter that everyone, including homosexuals, inter-sexuals, bi-sexuals, and everyone in between is entitled to all his/her rights in life. However, marriage is not a right. It is a sacred commitment between a man and woman that they should give their lives for each other and serve one another until death do they part. Marriage is (at least in Christianity) a symbol of Christ's sacrifice for the church and vice versa. Unfortunately, this world has taken marriage to mean something that is much less than that, and that is why most people view marriage as a right.

I do believe that everyone has the right to life, the right to love, the right to decide what path he/she should take in life, the right to education, the right to religion, and whatever other rights are out there that I can't think of. That's where I stand on the issue of homosexuality. My view is heavily dependent on the Bible, but that is because I believe in God.
"On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God."
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble."

Procrastinator and Obsessive are my middle names.

Spoiler:
Voted Eternity Awards 2013 winner of...
Favorite Moderator/Administrator
Best Journal Writer
The Sensible One
Most Likely to Run for President
Most Devoted to AFC
and Always in the Know.
Again with the president thing.

Shameless plug: visit my website!.

Pandora Hearts, the most epic manga to have existed. 2006--2015

Yona of the Dawn, Most Epic Romantic Manga

Shut up, I know I'm trash.

levina
Commander

Postby levina » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:47 am

Well, marriage isn't exclusive to Christians, so why are you assigning it the meaning that applies to Christians?

Marriage is, in the most basic definition, the joining of two people who love each other. Love and commitment is everyone's right, as you've said, so why can't marriage be everyone's right?

Merv Simestra
Council Member

Postby Merv Simestra » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:06 am

It was an example. I should clarified about that, sorry. :blush:

levina wrote:Marriage is, in the most basic definition, the joining of two people who love each other.

Yes, that is the most basic definition of marriage. But part of the true definition of marriage is a sacred commitment between man and woman. As I said before, this world has twisted that to mean something different. I am a Christian, as I also said, so this is my view on homosexuality and on marriage.

And love and commitment is everyone's right, but marriage is so much more than just those two things. It's giving up your time, love, and life for someone, living with them for the rest of your life, taking care of them and loving them through the hard and the bad times. I'm not an expert on this subject, so this is the best definition I can give for now. If you want, I can look for a better definition of marriage to show you. :)

Spoiler:
Best Journal Writer
The Sensible One
Most Devoted to AFC
and Always in the Know.

nindra
Council Member

Postby nindra » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:37 am

Merv Simestra wrote: It's giving up your time, love, and life for someone, living with them for the rest of your life, taking care of them and loving them through the hard and the bad times.
And two homosexuals can't do that to each other, because...?
æ

Merv Simestra
Council Member

Postby Merv Simestra » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:33 pm

Well, is it out of true love that gay people want to marry, or is it simply infatuation? If it is infatuation, then the marriage is bond to fail so why let it happen? If it is true love, then all right let them have one shot at it.

Please keep in mind that marriage is a very serious thing. Marriage is a lifelong commitment. That means that every couple who gets married has to take things seriously. (Do not use Hollywood's examples of marriage as true examples. They messed it up completely.) Imagine the reaction of the parents of the couple if they got a divorce over something stupid. That's a lot of money down the drain.

Spoiler:
Best Journal Writer
The Sensible One
Most Devoted to AFC
and Always in the Know.

levina
Commander

Postby levina » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:37 pm

I don't know what your intentions are, but it sounds like you're implying that gay love can not possibly be true, real, love - heterosexual love, for example. So any marriage bourne out of it can not possibly last.

I'm pretty certain that gay people know that marriage is a serious thing. Otherwise they wouldn't bother fighting so hard for it.

Return to “The Debate Forum”