homosexuality

Friendly, spirited debates please people! Keep it clean.

Should gay marriage be legalized

yes
71%
no
29%

Total votes: 183

Multiverse
Elf

Re: homosexuality

Postby Multiverse » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:48 pm

cezen wrote:Looking through this page of the thread, I feel like their can be strong arguments against anti-gay marriage.

...against anti-gay marriage? So you're saying there's strong reasons why hetero people shouldn't be allowed to marry? =P

bluealice
Sprite
Real First Name: Alsacia

Postby bluealice » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:34 am

No, I think cezen simply implies that this thread makes the anti-gay-marriage argument vulnerable from those who are against it. Which means, pro-gay marriage is getting stronger. What does it have to do with heteros? We're in the center of an argument only between the homos, because homosexuality is controversial. Why add heteros? Ugh.
ZZZ

cezen
Elf

Postby cezen » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:51 am

bluealice wrote:No, I think cezen simply implies that this thread makes the anti-gay-marriage argument vulnerable from those who are against it. Which means, pro-gay marriage is getting stronger. What does it have to do with heteros? We're in the center of an argument only between the homos, because homosexuality is controversial. Why add heteros? Ugh.

It was a joke, he's playing on the meaning of "anti" as opposite(opposite of gay marriage is heterosexual marriage) as opposed to its other meaning "against" that I used... It's a good joke.

And no, that doesn't mean pro-gay marriage is getting stronger. ('-' )
Truth is: Texas sucks.

How is Gunny feeling on First Earth?

cezen
Elf

Postby cezen » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:24 am

Multiverse wrote:
Heiks wrote:...Personally, and I speak for a lot of people here...

I'm not sure whether it was on purpose, but either way that's a brilliant phrase that I will, given the opportunity, use. :laughing:

Heiks wrote:Also, just adding an argument of my own, just let gay people get married, someone else's marriage doesn't affect you.

Exactly. For that very specific reason, I find it quite silly to be anti-gay marriage.
Homophobia is one thing - it's unfortunate, but if you're genuinely uncomfortable about it, that's an honest matter. However, logic should be enough to convince anyone to leave people alone if you don't get along with them.
I think, by the way, that this argument, as phrased by Heiks, is where the discussion tends to come to a standstill. I've seen no arguments yet to counter it.

Here's my counter:

The issue that a large chunk of people - religious people - have with gay marriage is more than simply being "uncomfortable" with it or simply homophobia. There's certainly more to it than simply not getting along with homosexuals.

Certain religions, like Christianity, believe that the religious principle is that marriage should only be between a man and a woman. Christians have a problem with it because they percieve gay marriage as polluting the their religious doctrines - the word of God. It doesn't matter if it doesn't directly affect you; it spits in the face of your religion. Whether or not homosexuals hold their religion is irrelevant to a Christian whom believes that God’s laws apply to society in general, even sinners and nonbelievers.

Not to mention, the idea that you shouldn't care about something because it doesn't affect you does not hold up as a general principle. When Martin Luther King protested against slavery, he had the help of a few white religious leaders and others. Should whites have simply left the equality movement alone because Segregation doesn't affect them(like it negatively affected minorities)? Should Americans not care a bit about helping the starving kids in Africa, since it doesn’t directly affect them? It all comes down to principles of morality. And you may say “but in those examples, they are helping people”. And with those who protest gay marriage on religious grounds, they think they are helping society by preventing people from disobeying God’s laws.

Parrot
Mud Man

Postby Parrot » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:38 pm

So... What should atheists do?
People who get divorced are technically disobeying God. That's why there's a Church of England, because Henry VIII got divorced. Techincally it's because he thought he shouldn't have married his dead brother's wife, but still... And millions of couples are getting divorced.
If we're breaking this religious law, what's wrong with gay marriage?
:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐

cezen
Elf

Postby cezen » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:40 pm

Parrot wrote:So... What should atheists do?
People who get divorced are technically disobeying God. That's why there's a Church of England, because Henry VIII got divorced. Techincally it's because he thought he shouldn't have married his dead brother's wife, but still... And millions of couples are getting divorced.
If we're breaking this religious law, what's wrong with gay marriage?
:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

1. What do you mean by your question "What should atheists do" ?
2. Does divorce technically break God's law? I think you're gonna have to go ahead and support this statement instead of throwing it out there.
Here's a list of bible verses about it:
http://www.religioustolerance.org/div_bibl.htm/
Some of the wording of them implies the allowance of divorce.
3. Even supposing that divorce break's God's law, do the majority of the christian sects interpret the scripture that way? Do they believe it as so?
4. Even supposing divorce break's God law, does that mean christians should ignore gay marriage because they are choosing to focus on it instead of another social practice that break's God's law, but doesn't offend their religious zeal to the same extant?
5. What if the anti-gay marriage christians simply think the issue of gay marriage is more important, more fundamental law of God that's being broken than divorce - and thus assign it more importance?

Athena32
Goblin
AFC Fan Fiction Name: MyshiCorp

Postby Athena32 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:03 pm

acbrandt wrote: The bible tells us that homosexuality is a sin.

(That is just an interpretation)

The bible directly says that "God loves all his children". Which part do we listen to?

I'm for gay marriage, because marriage is a right. I know a couple who have had an ongoing relationship for 50 years, yet aren't allowed to marry. Is that right? You're stripping people of their basic rights to form a union under the law, and that, in my opinion, is a violation of a person's basic rights. You can't say whether or not a person acts gay, and you will never know unless they decide it themselves. It is a personal decision based on your feelings.
I'm fine, seeing as you asked.-Foaly
Gnommish… Gnommish… What blasted translation system doesn’t have Gnommish?

Merv Simestra
Council Member
Real First Name: Meg
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Merv Simetra

Postby Merv Simestra » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:45 am

Technically speaking, the purpose of this debate no longer exists, since it was asking whether gay marriage should be legal in America or not. It's legal now, so the only purpose left is to argue whether it's right or not.

Personally, I feel it's fine this way as long as religious people have the right to disagree and turn people away from their private businesses because they don't want their work at an event they don't support. Similar to the Christian bakery that had been sought out to make a cake for a gay couple. Now, if the couple had asked for a bunch of cupcakes, and not told the owners they would be served at their wedding, I'm certain the owners would have been fine. However, the couple specifically asked that the owners cater their gay wedding. Thus the owners declined, pointed the couple to different bakeries, and there it really should have ended. But the couple got mad, claimed discrimination, and thus the large mess that has occurred.

I don't want to get into an argument about the details of the above event (I've seen both sides on Facebook, and they both are calling the other names at this point, so let's not start that here). However, I do want to make clear the concern that religious and personal freedoms maybe restricted because of whether or not we, religious individuals, agree with the new law. That is all.

P.S. You can love the sinner and hate the sin, and vice versa. Though I prefer the former immensely over the latter.
"On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God."
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble."

Procrastinator and Obsessive are my middle names.

Spoiler:
Voted Eternity Awards 2013 winner of...
Favorite Moderator/Administrator
Best Journal Writer
The Sensible One
Most Likely to Run for President
Most Devoted to AFC
and Always in the Know.
Again with the president thing.

Shameless plug: visit my website!.

Pandora Hearts, the most epic manga to have existed. 2006--2015

Return to “The Debate Forum”