Stricter Gun Laws?

Friendly, spirited debates please people! Keep it clean.
Juice
Pixie
Posts: 345
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:11 pm
Real First Name: Jo[CENSORED]
Location: Why not?
Gender: Male
Status: Offline

Re: Stricter Gun Laws?

Postby Juice » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:03 pm

lethe_naiad wrote:And nobody has refuted me on the fact that nations which allow guns have higher rates of gun death than nations without them.



It snows more in Canada then in America. Why? Because it's Canada, not America. Just because gun restriction laws work elswhere doesn't mean they'll work in the States. No, I won't argue with that fact, because it's a fact, but that doesn't mean it applies to everybody.
"Coffee: Killing people and then bringing them back to life since 23,486 B.C."
Image

User avatar
Venom Wolf
Pixie
Posts: 421
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:49 pm
Location: Down in Rapture, smacking splicers with a wrench.
Status: Offline

Re: Stricter Gun Laws?

Postby Venom Wolf » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:01 am

From an outsider's point of view, it seems as though there are lots of high school shootings in America. Only one event like that, that I can think of in the UK was the Dunblane masssacre. 15 children and a teacher died. One of the surviors was that tennis player Andy Murray, who was 8 at the time and hid under the table. The person who commited it, however, was an adult and not a member of the school, though.

To me it seems that guns are far too easily obtained. At least for teenagers anyway.
Last edited by Venom Wolf on Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
Zobo
Elf
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:27 pm
Location: Turn Around...
Gender: Male
Status: Offline

Re: Stricter Gun Laws?

Postby Zobo » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:08 am

Lime Yay wrote:With less access to guns, there'd be less gun-deaths.

~Lime Yay

Guns don't kill people. People kill people.
Ello.

User avatar
lethe_naiad
The Splendiferous
The Splendiferous
Posts: 2436
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:49 am
Real First Name: Lauren
Location: Back off, man. I'm a scientist.
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: Stricter Gun Laws?

Postby lethe_naiad » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:01 am

But people are more inclined to kill other people if they have an easy way to do so, such as with guns.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Juice
Pixie
Posts: 345
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:11 pm
Real First Name: Jo[CENSORED]
Location: Why not?
Gender: Male
Status: Offline

Re: Stricter Gun Laws?

Postby Juice » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:10 am

I have to admit that lethe is right. I bet if we banned guns there would be a sudden increase in knife-related deaths. </unnecessary humor>

But I don't think guns will get banned anytime soon. It's in our Bill of Rights, amendment two. The right to bear arms. There'd be some major protest from all the people who love owning guns if they got banned. I just have trouble seeing it from the other side (being pro-gun ownership myself), which is bad, because I feel so narrow minded.
"Coffee: Killing people and then bringing them back to life since 23,486 B.C."
Image

The Walrus
Our Fair Lady
Posts: 498
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:09 am
Location: Out on Highway 61
Status: Offline

Re: Stricter Gun Laws?

Postby The Walrus » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:03 am

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you but just because a lot of people disagree with something doesn't mean you should disagree with that something. What the majorities think really doesn't matter all that much. For example, the vast majority of U.S. residents (I don't use the term "american") think atheists are horrible people but that doesn't stop me from supporting atheism. That said, I really don't have an opinion on gun control. The concept of banning guns simply sounds too alien to me. It's not like in Britain where y'all are used to not being able to own them; in the United States, the right to bear arms is a long tradition dating back to the period when we first won our independence. I just can't wrap my head around getting rid of our 2nd amendment.
Official Mascot of the AFC Secret Agents

Well, John the Baptist after torturing a thief
Looks up at his hero the Commander-in-Chief
Saying, "Tell me great hero, but please make it brief
Is there a hole for me to get sick in?"

The Commander-in-Chief answers him while chasing a fly
Saying, "Death to all those who would whimper and cry"
And dropping a bar bell he points to the sky
Saying, "The sun's not yellow it's chicken"
-Tombstone Blues, Bob Dylan

User avatar
lethe_naiad
The Splendiferous
The Splendiferous
Posts: 2436
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:49 am
Real First Name: Lauren
Location: Back off, man. I'm a scientist.
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: Stricter Gun Laws?

Postby lethe_naiad » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:02 am

Juice wrote:I have to admit that lethe is right. I bet if we banned guns there would be a sudden increase in knife-related deaths. </unnecessary humor>


I'd rather have someone threaten me with a knife than a gun. There's not as much danger to bystanders, and you can try running without them killing you (unless they're a throwing-knife expert, which I doubt is likely).
ImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Lime Yay
Ten o' clock
Posts: 1329
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:27 am
Location: The Mitten of America
Status: Offline

Re: Stricter Gun Laws?

Postby Lime Yay » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:04 am

Zobo wrote:
Lime Yay wrote:With less access to guns, there'd be less gun-deaths.

~Lime Yay

Guns don't kill people. People kill people.



Not all gun-deaths are on purpose. Little kids get their hands on them and accidentally kill each other. The person would not have died if the gun did not exist. Gus can accidentally go off. People kill people and a common way to do so is with a gun. Without guns, murder is harder to accomplish.


~Liem Yay
Image
Thanks to Diana for the sweetest (erm... sourest?) signature ever!

Juice
Pixie
Posts: 345
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:11 pm
Real First Name: Jo[CENSORED]
Location: Why not?
Gender: Male
Status: Offline

Re: Stricter Gun Laws?

Postby Juice » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:38 pm

lethe_naiad wrote:
I'd rather have someone threaten me with a knife than a gun. There's not as much danger to bystanders, and you can try running without them killing you (unless they're a throwing-knife expert, which I doubt is likely).


Well, I have seen a sudden increase in ninjas lately. Throwing stars and all that.



Lime Yay wrote:Not all gun-deaths are on purpose. Little kids get their hands on them and accidentally kill each other. The person would not have died if the gun did not exist. Gus can accidentally go off. People kill people and a common way to do so is with a gun. Without guns, murder is harder to accomplish.


~Liem Yay


I'll have to agree with this. It's much easier to pull a trigger than to strangle someone or plunge hard steel into them*gag*. Still, people that are crazy enough to murder someone are probably crazy enough to steal a gun from somewhere. In the event that guns are banned, some serious enforcement is going to have to follow.
"Coffee: Killing people and then bringing them back to life since 23,486 B.C."
Image

User avatar
jenn-jenn
Atlantean
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:28 pm
Real First Name: Jennifer
Location: USA
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: Stricter Gun Laws?

Postby jenn-jenn » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:29 pm

It'd be nice if assault-type guns (I'm not sure what their technical name is, but not hunting guns) were banned/outlawed in America, because they're used for assaulting/killing someone. However, does America really want to give criminals another thing to smuggle into the country and make a ton of money off of? Outlawing guns today would be like prohibition in the 1920's: unenforceable.
"How can you lose time? ...Time doesn’t belong to anybody."

"The sea, the sea, the sea. It rolls and rolls and calls to me."

Sometimes, I wish we could completely delete the bad memories from our lives so we'd have more room for good ones. But then we'd all have memory loss problems.

Image

User avatar
Raineesun
Special Agent of Mr. Shiny
Posts: 1636
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 8:24 pm
Real First Name: Bethy c:
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: Stricter Gun Laws?

Postby Raineesun » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:15 pm

Lime Yay wrote:
No, I think Lethe's right. With less access to guns, there'd be less gun-deaths.

~Lime Yay


Ummm, I don't think so. Look at the places where citizens can't have guns. There are MORE gun-deaths because people can't defend themselves. I mean, they could if they had proper knife training, but knives are harder than guns. My brother's friend got killed in england 'cuase he didn't have a gun. He was shot. So even though guns are illegal there, the people who SHOULDN'T have a gun have guns. I know that's how it would be if they outlawed guns here.

So, although gun laws should be more strict in the US, where I live they're pretty good. In some places to get a concealed carry permit, all you have to do it show your ID, and that's not how it should be. I think they should do a background test & stuff, and thats what they do where I live.

My opinion.
Image
Ones that could hope to change anything
Are ones who could bear to abandon anything
Without bearing any risk at all
How could you hope to attain anything?
Victory to the charging slaves!
Feuerroter Pfeil und Bogen ~ Attack on Titan
signature credit: ~tammypain

User avatar
sharkie
Crazy Cat Lady
Crazy Cat Lady
Posts: 4596
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:33 am
Location: Land of Tweed, Tartan, and Deep Fried Mars Bars
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: Stricter Gun Laws?

Postby sharkie » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:11 am

Raineesun wrote:
Lime Yay wrote:
No, I think Lethe's right. With less access to guns, there'd be less gun-deaths.

~Lime Yay


Ummm, I don't think so. Look at the places where citizens can't have guns. There are MORE gun-deaths because people can't defend themselves.




That's not true.
*TEETH KNASH* The yellow ducks shall eat your socks in the nighttime
Took Jangrafess out my sig, clearly he doesn't appreciate old respect when he's pulling stunts like that
Raped your sig to tell you, that yes it is! ~AG
Who cares. - Someone

I want to verb your noun

POKEMON BEASTIALITY PWNS ALL (yes, that was me - Jangra)

SORREH, Niki, teal is my color. ^_^ *rape* BOLD FTW. - Voldylicious
i thought you needed new rape from me and i like this color so *rapes* (:
oohhh kittyyy, she's so orgasmically amazing. *rapes*

User avatar
Raineesun
Special Agent of Mr. Shiny
Posts: 1636
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 8:24 pm
Real First Name: Bethy c:
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: Stricter Gun Laws?

Postby Raineesun » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:45 am

? All the info meh dad has and a lot of other people who train 'im all say that... ??? My brother knew like, 5 people who were in england and all got killed (almost) at the same time. I don't know if there were others or anything. That was a few years back.

But my logic is this:
if you don't have a gun, how can you defend yourself when people try to kill you?!?! Learning how to use a knife is dangerous, and can you even use a knife in the UK?
Image
Ones that could hope to change anything
Are ones who could bear to abandon anything
Without bearing any risk at all
How could you hope to attain anything?
Victory to the charging slaves!
Feuerroter Pfeil und Bogen ~ Attack on Titan
signature credit: ~tammypain

User avatar
jenn-jenn
Atlantean
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:28 pm
Real First Name: Jennifer
Location: USA
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: Stricter Gun Laws?

Postby jenn-jenn » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:51 am

Raineesun wrote:if you don't have a gun, how can you defend yourself when people try to kill you?!?!


The problem isn't guns, the problem is why the heck people are trying to kill you in the first place.
"How can you lose time? ...Time doesn’t belong to anybody."

"The sea, the sea, the sea. It rolls and rolls and calls to me."

Sometimes, I wish we could completely delete the bad memories from our lives so we'd have more room for good ones. But then we'd all have memory loss problems.

Image

User avatar
Raineesun
Special Agent of Mr. Shiny
Posts: 1636
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 8:24 pm
Real First Name: Bethy c:
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: Stricter Gun Laws?

Postby Raineesun » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:04 am

Although people think terrorists don't exist, they do.
Did you hear about what happened in Texas?
Well, this guy killed 13 people and wounded like 20 something more.
He was Muslim.
I'm NOT! saying all Muslims are terrorists! I've met some that I'm friends with! But, I AM saying some of them are radical Muslims, and they DO exist.

And what if someone breaks into your house or something? Or tries to rape you? Tries to kidnap your kid? If you can't defend yourself, how can you defend them?
Plus, thiefs are armed with guns. A lot of them just run away when they see one in your hand, but still. You HAVE a gun.

Also, once there was this guy who knocked on my dad's door. He said, "Hey, can I use your phone? My car broke down and I need to call someone to pick me up." the whole time he had his right hand behind his back. My dad said, "Wait a sec please" and got the phone. He dialed 911 (duh) and the police came, but they came too late. What if that guy decided to shoot my dad? He would've. That's whem my dad decided he would learn to shoot a gun. He didn't want to be defenseless.
I know, you're thinking, "But the gun was the thing that brought the whole situation to pass!!"
That's true, of course, but even if the laws were more strict, people would still have guns, but the people who would have them would be the ones who wanna hurt people with them.
Image
Ones that could hope to change anything
Are ones who could bear to abandon anything
Without bearing any risk at all
How could you hope to attain anything?
Victory to the charging slaves!
Feuerroter Pfeil und Bogen ~ Attack on Titan
signature credit: ~tammypain


Return to “The Debate Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Artemis Fowl Confidential Fan Forum : Disclaimer

Login  •  Register