maturity males vs. females

Friendly, spirited debates please people! Keep it clean.
Azura Koboi
Atlantean
Posts: 195
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:51 pm
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Azura Koboi
Location: Flying high...lonely.
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: maturity males vs. females

Postby Azura Koboi » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:17 pm

shiaw_bing2000 wrote:(ontopic)> But what about emotional maturity. Mostly i think girls would also take the prize with this one because do you really see girls saying something like "your mom goes to college" or do you here girls brag and say i had sex last night (when they didn't). Though there are some guys that have a level of maturity that may egual a girls maturity. These guys are usually the quite ones that like to read. Though there arent very many.

If that makes any sense at all.


I agree with the reading thing. Most/all of my guyfriends love to read, and while they do constantly make inane sex jokes about my crush, they are, on the whole, as mature as I am.

Although, in fact, they may have influenced the fact that I swear like a moron at the slightest provocation.
A swirl of colors, a gentle tinkling music, the scent of flowers. An apparition appears. Voices sing softly, melodically as the vision shimmers. The beautiful spirit beckons, urging you forward.
It is the Illuminate Spectre.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
****************************Do not click on this link.****************************

User avatar
bentj96
Ruler of the People
Posts: 2721
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:29 am
Real First Name: Steven
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Dark Star
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Gender: Male
Status: Offline

Re: maturity males vs. females

Postby bentj96 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:13 am

Please be serious people. Girls are just not mature, but guys aren't either. Guys, always brag, show off and of course lie to keep their reputation up.

Girls, always giggle. I find it so annoying. Especially in class. It makes me paranoid. The only thing I hear is EWW... Then, if there is a girl behind me, she leans over to her friend immediately, and they start laughing and giggling. Then there are inappropriate conversations. And quite often, calling guys cute in their faces when they know it annoys them.

Three things for each sex. I guess we're all the same.
Also known as Dark Star.

---98% of teenagers do or have tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.---

I WON the game.

Glow sticks glow when snapped. Why can't my leg?


"How? She gonna blink Morse code?" -Amaury Nolasco (Prison Break: The Final Break)

http://www.fanfiction.net/~lorddarkstar

User avatar
Laotzu
Pixie
Posts: 373
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:01 am
Real First Name: Derek
Gender: Male
Status: Offline

Re: maturity males vs. females

Postby Laotzu » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:57 am

sharkie wrote:
Beckett Fowl wrote:Heavens no. Maturity is based on experience, and the property to respond to situations in an appropriate manner through reason rather than impulse. It is a matter of the environment that you grow up in and the moral and ethical teachings you have been subjected to that dictates your maturity. The myth that girls are born with more maturity than guys is hogwash. You learn through experience and wisdom, and your past directly regulates your responses to different situations. So my answer, psychologically speaking, is no, unless every girl ever born into existance has been taught from birth to be more mature than men, and men are nothing more than a ludicrous parcel of driveling galoots.


My counter to that- well first of all I think that you, no doubt think that you yourself are very mature. And you think, in a way that pisses so many people off, that drowning your vocabulary with unnessacary words is a good way to convey your maturity. This makes you sound pompous so please I advise that if you ever want people's respect- you won't do it.

And secondly- girls growing up ARE more mature than boys. They are not born that way, but they ARE.

Boys find it much harder to understand matters that affect the opposite sex. For example: On msn last week there was this group conversation and the other girl and I started having this looong discussion about our periods and blah blah blah (like how some people only get theirs every three or six months- UNFAIR)- the male is silent for the entire conversation. then the subject shifts to boobs (don't ask why it just did) and immediatley he perks up and starts yapping away and making crude statements.

It's not a bad thing that teenage (I'll say teenage, okay) boys aren't as mature as girls- but they just aren't. You do get immature girls but the fact is that I've found guys are much more likely to hold prejudices (towards gays and minorities). You're going to say that's a generalisation but I'm saying the last part from expieriance that males are much more likely to be homaphobic.


In Beckett Fowl's defense, I must say that assaulting someone based on the way that they speak is rather low of a blow. Secondly, the question is not whether males or females mature faster, it is males vs. females in general (though I suppose that speed of maturity does play a factor because if females mature faster then there would technically be more mature females then males). Also, something like "maturity" might be difficult to define. Arguably some people never mature. As society changes over the course of history, so does the concept of maturity (in the past, being homaphobic was not an immature idea).
"Now, are you going to cause a fuss or are you going to come quietly? Let me give you a hint: the answer is come quietly." -Butler

"If I win, I'm a prodigy. If I lose then I'm crazy. That's the way history is written." -Artemis Fowl

Foaly: Anyone see you come in here?
Holly: The FBI, CIA, NSA, DEA, MI6. Oh, and the EIB.
Foaly: The EIB?
Holly: (smirking) Everyone in the building.

Mystefier
Cave Troll
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:53 am
Status: Offline

Re: maturity males vs. females

Postby Mystefier » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:21 am

sharkie wrote:
Beckett Fowl wrote:Heavens no. Maturity is based on experience, and the property to respond to situations in an appropriate manner through reason rather than impulse. It is a matter of the environment that you grow up in and the moral and ethical teachings you have been subjected to that dictates your maturity. The myth that girls are born with more maturity than guys is hogwash. You learn through experience and wisdom, and your past directly regulates your responses to different situations. So my answer, psychologically speaking, is no, unless every girl ever born into existance has been taught from birth to be more mature than men, and men are nothing more than a ludicrous parcel of driveling galoots.

My counter to that- well first of all I think that you, no doubt think that you yourself are very mature. And
you think, in a way that pisses so many people off, that drowning your vocabulary with unnessacary words is a good way to convey your maturity. This makes you sound pompous so please I advise that if you ever want people's respect- you won't do it.


Actually, his language isn't that pompous. There is a good point. People gain maturity through life experience.

Boys find it much harder to understand matters that affect the opposite sex. For example: On msn last week there was this group conversation and the other girl and I started having this looong discussion about our periods and blah blah blah (like how some people only get theirs every three or six months- UNFAIR)- the male is silent for the entire conversation. then the subject shifts to boobs (don't ask why it just did) and immediatley he perks up and starts yapping away and making crude statements.


There's two things to consider. What contribution to that discussion do you think he could provide? Why would he have an important opinion on a girl's period? Would you have important things to say if boys talked about erections?

Second; boys are often made fun of or harassed by girls for trying to share such opinions.

Girls act more serious than boys, but boys know that having fun and being silly doesn't mean you're immature.

To me, I don't consider long conversations about boobs or periods very mature. What about the world. What about discussing things you can do to make the world better. What about history, new technology and progress. I find boys take an interest in those topics that move society forward much earlier than girls. Is talking about history so much less mature than talking about periods. Perhaps most the great inventors were men, because males are more interested in innovation and thanks to innovation you have TVs, computers, the internet, etc, etc, etc.

We often only look at the things that girls develop earlier and base our opinion of maturity on those, but we our often attacked as being sexist if we try to point out the qualities that males develop earlier like; creativity, innovation, diplomacy, logic, curiosity. If those qualities were seen as signs of maturity than boys would fare much better.

When I was working as a substitute teacher I often found the female principles were quick to attack if they didn't like what a teacher did, while the male principles were more willing to talk things over and see where people were coming from.

In short, I don't think either group matures faster, I think they mature in different ways. I just find it sad that so many men see the value in women, but so many women don't appreciate what men do and what men have to offer. Please take a little time to recognize what males have to offer instead of being so quick to judge them as inferior because they're not like females. I certainly won't ever date a woman that can't appreciate men.

As far as prejudice and homophobia, in my experience it's a toss up. It's about half and half.

User avatar
Multiverse
Elf
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:21 pm
Location: Denmark
Gender: Male
Status: Offline

Re: maturity males vs. females

Postby Multiverse » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:17 pm

I´ll open my post with an observation on the discussion as whole. Or, well, not the disussion as such, but on the fact that it exists.
I personally think that this is a rather suicidal thing to discuss. Regardless of whether anyone are more mature than anyone else, everyone should be treated equally mature, because if (when) we don´t, society falls apart.


Anyway - to get on topic, my view on the subject (because apparently I don´t care that I seem to be discussing a suicidal topic :P ).
I´m a boy, 15, and I´ll openly admit that most would consider me more mature than the avarage teenage boy (and no, that´s not a good thing - it benefits me, but it hurts the gender that I´m naturally parting with, my own), in that I´ve read English books (which isn´t my native language) since I was, dunno, 11-12-ish, that I take an interest in writing, art and a small bit of science, and that I will take desperate measures to avoid immature sexually-themed jokes (all other kinds of immature jokes are fine, though, but I usually stick to rethorical ones) . And curiously, most of the friends that I feel I can connect emotionally with are girls. It bothers me incredibly much, but it seems to me that most males outside of the internet seems to be turning their, and everyone else´s, emotions into a joke, something that I myself would be utterly incapable of.

That being said, I think most people, regardless of gender, starts to wish for maturity at age 13, but hardly ever succeeds before about the age of 18.

-Multiverse
Image

User avatar
hyunjoonglovie
Elf
Posts: 682
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:40 am
Real First Name: Jess :P
Location: Latitude: 28° 0' 0 S, Longitude: 153° 25' 60 E
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: maturity males vs. females

Postby hyunjoonglovie » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:33 pm

@multiverse congrats... You are pretty much every girl's dream guy XD (sorry I know this isn't really a contribution to the debate, so just ignore this post XD - maybe I'll post up something a little later that relates to the topic).

I personally dont think maturity comes with Gender, but with IQ. The smarter you are, the less probability there is that you will be influenced by other people's stupid ideas (though I realise this is general - smart people make stupid mistakes too).
We all have a dark side...

Image

Spoiler:
That awkward moment when someone says "hi" to you, and you reply with "I'm good"... -_-

That shite moment in an argument when you realise you are wrong...

That awesome moment when the teacher asks you a question, thinking you weren't being attentive. Then you answer it right, it's like "What now! WIN!!!"

That depressing moment when your mum scribbles on the award your school gave you in congratulations for all your hard work, just to get her stupid pen to work D':


But you love me XD

User avatar
Multiverse
Elf
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:21 pm
Location: Denmark
Gender: Male
Status: Offline

Re: maturity males vs. females

Postby Multiverse » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:45 pm

@Hyujoonglovie:
First: Please, isn´t there some shorter name to call you? =P

Second: It´s fun that you´d mention IQ. I actually considered using my IQ (measured to 149, though that´s two years ago) as an argument for my maturity, but I deleted that part before posting.
Why? I don´t think your IQ determines your maturity. The IQ is strictly a way to measure the mathematical, logical and analythical parts of the brain. It has absolutely nothing to say about creativity and suchlike, which is also a part of maturity, IMO. This is also why male IQs tends to hover a good 10-15 points above females.

So, however pleased I am at your compliment (oh, if only that thing about being every girl´s dream guy had been true =P ), I´ll have to disagree with the IQ thing. One point where I agree with you though: Having an IQ of 149, I can say for a fact that smart people does stupid thing all the time. ;)

-Multiverse
Image

User avatar
Multiverse
Elf
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:21 pm
Location: Denmark
Gender: Male
Status: Offline

Re: maturity males vs. females

Postby Multiverse » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:47 pm

Multiverse wrote:@Hyujoonglovie:
First: Please, isn´t there some shorter name to call you? =P

Second: It´s fun that you´d mention IQ. I actually considered using my IQ (measured to 149, though that´s two years ago) as an argument for my maturity, but I deleted that part before posting.
Why? I don´t think your IQ determines your maturity. The IQ is strictly a way to measure the mathematical, logical and analythical parts of the brain. It has absolutely nothing to say about creativity and suchlike, which is also a part of maturity, IMO. This is also why male IQs tends to hover a good 10-15 points above females.

So, however pleased I am at your compliment (oh, if only that thing about being every girl´s dream guy had been true =P ), I´ll have to disagree with the IQ thing. One point where I agree with you though: Having an IQ of 149, I can say for a fact that smart people does stupid things all the time. ;)

-Multiverse
Image

User avatar
Multiverse
Elf
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:21 pm
Location: Denmark
Gender: Male
Status: Offline

Re: maturity males vs. females

Postby Multiverse » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:49 pm

Ah, sorry about the double post - I accidentally pressed 'Quote' instead of 'Edit'.

See, there´s another instance of smart people doing stupid things. :P

EDIT: I´m honestly certain that I also pressed 'Edit' now... Argh, I´m sorry to be causing this much trouble to the moderators. J=
Image

User avatar
hyunjoonglovie
Elf
Posts: 682
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:40 am
Real First Name: Jess :P
Location: Latitude: 28° 0' 0 S, Longitude: 153° 25' 60 E
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: maturity males vs. females

Postby hyunjoonglovie » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:01 pm

I actually agree that maturity and IQ are two completely different things (actually look at the driving debate, I've made the difference more distinguished there).

But I do think that your IQ has an impact on your maturity level, in that your intelligence influences how you perceve certain experiences and how you deal with them.

Hyun is a wayyy easier name to memorise XD.. Call me that

This is off topic, but how did you test your IQ? Online or by another method?
We all have a dark side...

Image

Spoiler:
That awkward moment when someone says "hi" to you, and you reply with "I'm good"... -_-

That shite moment in an argument when you realise you are wrong...

That awesome moment when the teacher asks you a question, thinking you weren't being attentive. Then you answer it right, it's like "What now! WIN!!!"

That depressing moment when your mum scribbles on the award your school gave you in congratulations for all your hard work, just to get her stupid pen to work D':


But you love me XD

User avatar
Multiverse
Elf
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:21 pm
Location: Denmark
Gender: Male
Status: Offline

Re: maturity males vs. females

Postby Multiverse » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:06 pm

Okay, then, Hyun you are. =)

I´ll have to leave the subject at this - I wouldn´t be able to tell whether that´s right. =/

I went to a psychologist to get it measured. ;)

-Multiverse
Image

User avatar
hyunjoonglovie
Elf
Posts: 682
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:40 am
Real First Name: Jess :P
Location: Latitude: 28° 0' 0 S, Longitude: 153° 25' 60 E
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: maturity males vs. females

Postby hyunjoonglovie » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:14 pm

Okay *off topic* (like again) XD

But you realise then an IQ of 149 is like, uber high? I think in Australia we have a club for people with an IQ of 150 and above (there is only like 100 members Australia wide).

I actually want to get my IQ tested XD maybe one day..
We all have a dark side...

Image

Spoiler:
That awkward moment when someone says "hi" to you, and you reply with "I'm good"... -_-

That shite moment in an argument when you realise you are wrong...

That awesome moment when the teacher asks you a question, thinking you weren't being attentive. Then you answer it right, it's like "What now! WIN!!!"

That depressing moment when your mum scribbles on the award your school gave you in congratulations for all your hard work, just to get her stupid pen to work D':


But you love me XD

User avatar
Multiverse
Elf
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:21 pm
Location: Denmark
Gender: Male
Status: Offline

Re: maturity males vs. females

Postby Multiverse » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:24 pm

Also *off topic*.

We have the same kind of thing here - or wait, MENSA is international isn´t it? Anyway, I think the requirement is about 120 there.

Perhaps we should set up an IQ discussion topic so we don´t have to go off topic again? =)

-Multiverse
Image

User avatar
hyunjoonglovie
Elf
Posts: 682
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:40 am
Real First Name: Jess :P
Location: Latitude: 28° 0' 0 S, Longitude: 153° 25' 60 E
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: maturity males vs. females

Postby hyunjoonglovie » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:33 pm

*off topic*

haha Done.. It's in the Square..
We all have a dark side...

Image

Spoiler:
That awkward moment when someone says "hi" to you, and you reply with "I'm good"... -_-

That shite moment in an argument when you realise you are wrong...

That awesome moment when the teacher asks you a question, thinking you weren't being attentive. Then you answer it right, it's like "What now! WIN!!!"

That depressing moment when your mum scribbles on the award your school gave you in congratulations for all your hard work, just to get her stupid pen to work D':


But you love me XD

User avatar
opalkoboi
Heiki Koboi
Posts: 1037
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:46 pm
Real First Name: Phoebe
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Heiki Koboi
Location: Forming the Ranga Revolution....MUHAHAHAHA!!!
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: maturity males vs. females

Postby opalkoboi » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:58 pm

It depends what you define as maturity, I am like Multiverse:
Multiverse wrote:I´m a boy, 15, and I´ll openly admit that most would consider me more mature than the avarage teenage boy (and no, that´s not a good thing - it benefits me, but it hurts the gender that I´m naturally parting with, my own), in that I´ve read English books (which isn´t my native language) since I was, dunno, 11-12-ish, that I take an interest in writing, art and a small bit of science, and that I will take desperate measures to avoid immature sexually-themed jokes (all other kinds of immature jokes are fine, though, but I usually stick to rethorical ones) . And curiously, most of the friends that I feel I can connect emotionally with are girls. It bothers me incredibly much, but it seems to me that most males outside of the internet seems to be turning their, and everyone else´s, emotions into a joke, something that I myself would be utterly incapable of.


However, I am immature emotionally. And it's funny IQ should come up because people with high IQs (hello!) tend to be underdeveloped emotionally, socially, and in interperting the world (ie Naive, I guess). So it really does depend on your defination of maturity.
And yes, being more mature (ie not finding their conversations funny, or their TV shows (eg South Park :eyeroll: (seriously, it's not funny!!!), or their jokes for that matter) isn't easy. Then again, I have a massive bank of geeky jokes NO ONE EVER gets :'( so they probably think the same of me. They probably think "WHY CAN'T SHE MAKE A NORMAL JOKE?! :cursing: ".
Spoiler:
Seriously, what is so unfunny about this:
Two hydrogen atoms walk out of a bar.
One says to the other, "I think I've lost an eletron"
The other says, "Are you sure?"
The first one replys, "Yes, I'm positive." XD
It's a basic enough level, surely. Only A GCSE level joke, it's not like my wilson's desease one! Not even a doctor got that when I told it to them in hospital :(

Anyway, IQ's only link to maturity is in hobbies, interests, and jokes. YAY GEEK JOKES! :D And IQ in girls and boys is no different, we are equal.

I'd say girls and boys never mature. I know most say girls grow up first, I think that's untrue, I just think girls want to grow up first and want boyfriends and all that pathetic western culture. *Throws up*
Image
I see you too! XD

Image


Return to “The Debate Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Artemis Fowl Confidential Fan Forum : Disclaimer
cron

Login  •  Register