maturity males vs. females

Friendly, spirited debates please people! Keep it clean.
Juice
Pixie
Real First Name: Jo[CENSORED]

Re: maturity males vs. females

Postby Juice » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:48 am

Voldy wrote:The reality of that 'real question' is that that question has no real answer. </Lemony Snicket-esque>

I mean, I'm sure, by this sixth page of discussion, we can all agree, as we've all said it in one way or another, that no two people mature at the same rate. Different people mature at different times, physically and emotionally, due to different factors, such as the environment in which they grow up.

Voldy=Nailed the...erm.."nail" right on the head.

Pretty much everybody starts maturing at a different rate. I've heard talk of emerging studies that, so far, say your emotions could have somehting to do with when you start puberty. Key word being COULD. But still, not all bodies are exactly the same (unless you're twins).
"Coffee: Killing people and then bringing them back to life since 23,486 B.C."

skiploom32
Swear Toad
Real First Name: Holly

Postby skiploom32 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:34 pm

Girls of course! boys just fight and joke with each other and make fun of people. Girls can talk about important things with each other but boys just wind each other up.
SKIPPY LOVE YOU! SKIPPY LOVE < insert name here > MORE! :loveeyes:
'When I got an itch I can't scratch, when there's a slug in my vole stew, when I got sunburn on my bald patch, that's when I remember you...
When my lucky numbers run out of luck, when I'm stuck in a hole I tumbled into. When my favourite dawg gets squashed by a truck, that's when I think me some thoughts of you...' - Foaly, the Lost Colony

Nikita
Tweetie

Postby Nikita » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:07 am

I'm glad this debate's been brought back. =]

Lime Yay wrote:Physical maturity is directly related to intellectual and emotional maturity. Sexual maturity is pretty much physical maturity. It still remains, however, that maturity in these aspects are directly related to each other. With the changes in your brain and body during puberty, you will mature emotionally as well.

Um, not at all. I have to disagree with every one of these points except your second sentence. Physical maturity is really not related to intellectual and emotional maturity, at least not more than at a minimal level. I'm not very physically mature (yes, I'm sexually mature, but I haven't reached full height and my body's still developing) but I'm one of the most emotionally mature people in my year/school. Two close friends of mine that are eight and nine years old, respectively, are probably two of the most mature people I know, and neither of them is taller than five feet. In fact, one of them isn’t even at four feet yet. Neither of them are sexually or physically mature, and yet they’re very emotionally mature.

I’m not picking and choosing my examples here, either. I know many young children who are quite mature, and many adults who aren’t mature at all. While hormones may be more balanced when you’re older, the balancing of hormones isn’t the only thing that determines maturity. Controlling hormones is actually achieved at a varying level of difficulty for people – some people can do it quite easily, while it’s harder for others. Some mature people even act immature to fit in or to enjoy life more. You can also be quite mature even if your hormones are raging.

So girls being more physically mature at an earlier age has nothing to do with maturity, but I think that, because of social boundaries placed on females, they end up maturing faster than males.

I have to go to bed now. How’s that for timing and a conversation starter? I’m positive the social boundaries thing has been mentioned before, but still… XD
Owen: You okay? Want to get a drink or something?
Cristina: Oh. Oh, now we're on again 'cause the mood suits you? Because I'm the sad little girl with no friends and I tripped your savior complex into action? Usually I can deal with the hot and cold thing, but not today. Just leave me the hell alone.

Gibbering moron
Centaur
Real First Name: bry

Postby Gibbering moron » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:13 pm

To be perfectly honest i think girl's and boy's can both be mature and immature, boy's generally get worse in a gang but in fairness as do girls. Boy's tend to get awkward talking about certain matters, but in fairness certain girl's i know get awkward too. Girl's tend to talk about each other more, but with boy's you get stupid comments, including racist from some.( Not all just a few more men than girls i know ). Also boy's can be very vain towards other people, ( i know girls can to, ) but generally if a girl isn't considered as 'hot' and 'fit' they don't want to know. In alot of cases they don't even speak to them.

Not all boy's and girl's are like that, but i find many are where i live.
Sometimes to see the way forward we must take a step back and look around.

Life isn't like a book, in a book you can rewrite the bad chapters....

sharkie
Crazy Cat Lady
Crazy Cat Lady

Postby sharkie » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:27 pm

Gibbering moron wrote:To be perfectly honest i think girl's and boy's can both be mature and immature, boy's generally get worse in a gang but in fairness as do girls. Boy's tend to get awkward talking about certain matters, but in fairness certain girl's i know get awkward too. Girl's tend to talk about each other more, but with boy's you get stupid comments, including racist from some.( Not all just a few more men than girls i know ). Also boy's can be very vain towards other people, ( i know girls can to, ) but generally if a girl isn't considered as 'hot' and 'fit' they don't want to know. In alot of cases they don't even speak to them.

Not all boy's and girl's are like that, but i find many are where i live.

You don't have to be so worried about people arguing with you. I agree with you when I take away the brackets.

I believe that gangs are worrying to people of the same gender. Their about equal in terms of which is worse. For a girl, I'd be more worried about going past a gang of girls, their more likely to start something. But guys, unless they are you know the worst kind of guys, are more likely to just yell. Wheras if I was male and I walked past girls it would be reversed,

Girls are more bitchy, let's get that out of the way. I'm a girl and let me tell you, when a lot of girls say "I won't tell anyone" they mean "I won't tell anyone except...", whether this is everyone or just someone else they always gossip to- it still is a big flaw. Because that person will have someone they gossip to and it'll go round in a circle.

Like, in Graphics I get the more gritty stories from the guys, then it gets back to the girls. So girls are worse with maturity when it comes to gossiping and bitching. I think that girls are in general more verbally vicious, I agree that more guys are racist, but in my expieriance they are a lot less vocal. You can know loads of guys for months before you realise they are racist or homaphobic or whatever.

I personally believe that guys are more honest when it comes to what they like in someone. Girls like to say "I like someone with personality" and yeah we are normally less shallow than guys and the way we like people is influenced less by looks. But if someone really ugly and badly dressed and presented walks in girls won't be any more inclined to chat to them or think "I'm sure he/ she has a nice personality". Guys are more honest in that they admit they like girls to look good. But when it comes to friends guys care less about how their friends look than girls.

So really they are more mature in different ways. I do think though that girls have to stop kidding themselves that they look for personality. Your first impression is looks and your going to be more inclined to talk to someone who looks nice.
*TEETH KNASH* The yellow ducks shall eat your socks in the nighttime
Took Jangrafess out my sig, clearly he doesn't appreciate old respect when he's pulling stunts like that
Raped your sig to tell you, that yes it is! ~AG
Who cares. - Someone

I want to verb your noun

POKEMON BEASTIALITY PWNS ALL (yes, that was me - Jangra)

SORREH, Niki, teal is my color. ^_^ *rape* BOLD FTW. - Voldylicious
i thought you needed new rape from me and i like this color so *rapes* (:
oohhh kittyyy, she's so orgasmically amazing. *rapes*

Lime Yay
Ten o' clock

Postby Lime Yay » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:36 am

Nikita wrote:I'm glad this debate's been brought back. =]

Lime Yay wrote:Physical maturity is directly related to intellectual and emotional maturity. Sexual maturity is pretty much physical maturity. It still remains, however, that maturity in these aspects are directly related to each other. With the changes in your brain and body during puberty, you will mature emotionally as well.

Um, not at all. I have to disagree with every one of these points except your second sentence. Physical maturity is really not related to intellectual and emotional maturity, at least not more than at a minimal level. I'm not very physically mature (yes, I'm sexually mature, but I haven't reached full height and my body's still developing) but I'm one of the most emotionally mature people in my year/school. Two close friends of mine that are eight and nine years old, respectively, are probably two of the most mature people I know, and neither of them is taller than five feet. In fact, one of them isn’t even at four feet yet. Neither of them are sexually or physically mature, and yet they’re very emotionally mature.

I suppose you could say they're minimally related. There's a direct correlation, even if other factors influence it. So, I wouldn't say minimally, but it's such a relative word...

Oh, I meant that about emotional maturity, because your environment plays a big role in that. Intellectual maturity, that's about the same as physical maturity. Eating your vegetables can help you grow to your potential, and exercising your brain helps you grow to your intellectual potential.

A baby can not understand that her mother continues to exist in another room. No matter HOW smart the baby is, their brain just has not developed enough. When you're an infant, your brain is great for picking up languages, but not fine muscle movement. I taught my little brother to play chess when he was three. He knew how to move the pieces and the objective. But he never won because his brain didn't understand planning ahead. It's not because he was stupid; the same year we had him doing double-digit multiplication in his head for company. He's really not a stupid boy.

There's a difference between how smart you believe you are compared to others versus intellectual maturity. Being intellectually mature does not mean you are smarter. Is everyone the same age equally intellectually mature? No, because everyone the same age is not equally physically mature. But, the developments in your brain are what causes intellectual maturity. Physical maturity causes development in the brain. Ergo: physical maturity and intellectual maturity are inexorably tied.

~Lime Yay
Thanks to Diana for the sweetest (erm... sourest?) signature ever!

softballislife
Elf
Real First Name: Augusta(gay)

Postby softballislife » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:17 pm

I think girls are more mature than guys. That doesn't mean that there arent immature girls and mature guys but I think in average girls are more mature.
There is no sincerer love then the love of food
"woman,please"-Bobby
tony tony put yo oscar mayer in me (says this while holding a hotdog bun like a puppet)"
GREATEST rappa alive LIL WAYNE =]
"baby like shrimp fried rice!" afroman/lukey(Luke smith)
"Hey, hey, hey, this THE remix. Hey pretty lady." Lukey bear

cezen
Elf

Postby cezen » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:16 am

I think that debating whethor not girls or guys are more mature, despite the fact that everyone is unique in their own way, and that different people, guys and girls, have different definitions for what maturity actually is, is in itself, immature. Also, people only say girls mature faster than guys, because usually a parent puts that notion in their head. This is probably because they heard the same thing when they were young. So not saying that girls arent more mature than guys, but the saying that they are is merely an urban legend passed down from generation to generation.
Truth is: Texas sucks.

How is Gunny feeling on First Earth?

Nikita
Tweetie

Postby Nikita » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:44 am

An urban legend? Actually, this statistic was only developed recently. And it's a statistic, not an "urban legend." They took samples, etc. and it's not based on any sort of opinion. It's just fact that, in general, girls mature faster than guys.
Cristina: Oh. Oh, now we're on again 'cause the mood suits you? Because I'm the sad little girl with no friends and I tripped your savior complex into action? Usually I can deal with the hot and cold thing, but not today. Just leave me the hell alone.

Lucan
Centaur

Postby Lucan » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:08 am

sharkie wrote:
Beckett Fowl wrote:Heavens no. Maturity is based on experience, and the property to respond to situations in an appropriate manner through reason rather than impulse. It is a matter of the environment that you grow up in and the moral and ethical teachings you have been subjected to that dictates your maturity. The myth that girls are born with more maturity than guys is hogwash. You learn through experience and wisdom, and your past directly regulates your responses to different situations. So my answer, psychologically speaking, is no, unless every girl ever born into existance has been taught from birth to be more mature than men, and men are nothing more than a ludicrous parcel of driveling galoots.

My counter to that- well first of all I think that you, no doubt think that you yourself are very mature. And you think, in a way that pisses so many people off, that drowning your vocabulary with unnessacary words is a good way to convey your maturity. This makes you sound pompous so please I advise that if you ever want people's respect- you won't do it.

And secondly- girls growing up ARE more mature than boys. They are not born that way, but they ARE.

Boys find it much harder to understand matters that affect the opposite sex. For example: On msn last week there was this group conversation and the other girl and I started having this looong discussion about our periods and blah blah blah (like how some people only get theirs every three or six months- UNFAIR)- the male is silent for the entire conversation. then the subject shifts to boobs (don't ask why it just did) and immediatley he perks up and starts yapping away and making crude statements.

It's not a bad thing that teenage (I'll say teenage, okay) boys aren't as mature as girls- but they just aren't. You do get immature girls but the fact is that I've found guys are much more likely to hold prejudices (towards gays and minorities). You're going to say that's a generalisation but I'm saying the last part from expieriance that males are much more likely to be homaphobic.

I have to agree with Fowl. It all depends. Many boys in my school are much more mature then girls. It depends on how you are raised, and what you are taught. Gender has next to nothing to do with one's level of maturity.

Also, using big words isn't trying to prove he's mature: He's using them because they're the best words he knows to make a point. You do not have to be jealous (and, just to me, it sounds like you are. I am no physology docotor, so sorry if I misunderstood) or otherwise, think he is trying to convey something he most likely isn't.

Oh wow I bought that post back from the depths of the first page o.o
---98% of teenagers do or have tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.---
http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e123/ ... i-24_2.jpg
Smile at the crocodile.

"They're like tootsie rolls on crack!"-Elin

cezen
Elf

Postby cezen » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:13 am

Nikita wrote:An urban legend? Actually, this statistic was only developed recently. And it's a statistic, not an "urban legend." They took samples, etc. and it's not based on any sort of opinion. It's just fact that, in general, girls mature faster than guys.

yeah, but like I said, since people have different definitions of what maturity actually is, they can't really test and survey that, their only testing their OWN definiton of what maturity is. Unless their only testing physical maturity, which we all already know that womens' bodies mature faster then mens.
Truth is: Texas sucks.

How is Gunny feeling on First Earth?

Nikita
Tweetie

Postby Nikita » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:30 pm

yeah, but like I said, since people have different definitions of what maturity actually is, they can't really test and survey that, their only testing their OWN definiton of what maturity is. Unless their only testing physical maturity, which we all already know that womens' bodies mature faster then mens.

True, but the general definition is similar.

Also, using big words isn't trying to prove he's mature: He's using them because they're the best words he knows to make a point. You do not have to be jealous (and, just to me, it sounds like you are. I am no physology docotor, so sorry if I misunderstood) or otherwise, think he is trying to convey something he most likely isn't.

Nah, sharkie was right there. Imo, he was just trying to show that he was intelligent. It actually took away from the post, though. And believe me, she's not jealous. There's absolutely no way. :P

sharkie
Crazy Cat Lady
Crazy Cat Lady

Postby sharkie » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:39 pm

Yeah I'm not jealous at all.

Something you've got to understand about me is that I'm not stupid. My vocabluary might not convey that I'm smart, but that's because I believe TALKING is something which is accessible to everyone. So I don't use long words that not everyone understands. I know my intelligence, I don't need long words to prove it.

So shurrup
Took Jangrafess out my sig, clearly he doesn't appreciate old respect when he's pulling stunts like that
Who cares. - Someone

I want to verb your noun

Lucan
Centaur

Postby Lucan » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:42 am

Sorry, again, I am no physcology docotor. But those weren't very complicated words. I could understand perfectly well what he was saying. He could have used morse code. That's being a show off.

Wait, no he couldn'tve. Morse code is a series of sounds...

Well if he posted and audio file...

Oh, nevermind, the bottom line is he could have been much more complicated.
---98% of teenagers do or have tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.---
http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e123/ ... i-24_2.jpg
Smile at the crocodile.

"They're like tootsie rolls on crack!"-Elin

sharkie
Crazy Cat Lady
Crazy Cat Lady

Postby sharkie » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:14 am

Lucan wrote:Sorry, again, I am no physcology docotor. But those weren't very complicated words. I could understand perfectly well what he was saying. He could have used morse code. That's being a show off.

Wait, no he couldn'tve. Morse code is a series of sounds...

Well if he posted and audio file...

Oh, nevermind, the bottom line is he could have been much more complicated.

did i say i didn't understand it. I said he was being pretntious- and he was. He said heavens no, hogwash and galoots. Sorry. I'm not going not take the micky out of that.

But anyway, this was ages ago so could you stop bringing this up.
Who cares. - Someone

I want to verb your noun

Return to “The Debate Forum”