Drinking

Friendly, spirited debates please people! Keep it clean.
Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles
Real First Name: Katarina

Re: Drinking

Postby Kitsy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:37 pm

There's a slight difference between "having a glass" and "getting drunk," which you seem to have put in the same category. I personally think you're too young to be getting drunk, but I'll try to keep this impersonal. I know there are people on this forum who think drinking underage is fine, and to an extent so do I. I started drinking at sixteen, later than most but it also means I was more mature and knew how to handle myself with alcohol.
Some would argue that drinking at a young age means you get over the thrill of it and don't drink so much when you're older, but I think it would just be better to drink when you're older and learn then. Opal, you said it was possibly healthy but at a young age it's definately not. I'd say that when you're around 18, which is age when you can drink in the UK, having a glass of wine or beer or going out for a drink every now and again during the week could be counted as healthy. I drank before that, but I can definately see that there were no health benefits.

I have to say I absolutely hate fourteen and thirteen year olds getting drunk. I think they're stupid and complete idiots and get themselves into trouble and yet think they're soooo cool and mature. Most of the people I know who drank at that age also ended up smoking, doing drugs etc. because they have a much more relaxed approach to these things. I also think alot of it is to do with the parents - you have to be taught the pros and cons of alcohol and especially at a young age you need to be monitored quite closely.

Gosh, I always write alot in these threads. Sorry!
Silly little foul black twisted heart I am!
http://superkits.tumblr.com

opalkoboi
Heiki Koboi
Real First Name: Phoebe
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Heiki Koboi

Postby opalkoboi » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:50 pm

Don't label me as one of those, I only have a drink in my own house, or have a glass at my friends, and I've only ever been drunk at parties...and near Christmas...I like eggnog and my dad is nice. I don't drink that regularly, but I will have a drink, on average, every 2/3 weeks I suppose. I don't see anything wrong with it, because I never go over 1.5 units (except at parties when I probably hit 2/2.5), and as I said before, if you are going to drink be responsible.
Though I do know kids in my year who get 20year-olds to buy them drinks and get plastered which is wrong.
I see you too! XD

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles

Postby Kitsy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:17 pm

I'm not labelling you as one of those kids, but I still think that a thirteen year old drinking a few times a week is wrong. I think a thirteen year old drinking alcohol once a week is wrong. The guideline is for adults, so you could be doing damage to your body even if you're not drinking alot - especially as your liver etc. is still developing. Trying alcohol is one thing when you're young, but I personally would not let my child drink that much until they were older. It's just proven to be unhealthy.

As for the other side of this argument, drinking/getting drunk in general. What do people think?

opalkoboi
Heiki Koboi

Postby opalkoboi » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:53 pm

As I said, I have drink every 2/3 weeks. I get drunk much much less.

Drinking is fine, and I've been drunk before, but there is a limit to drunkeness. If you're drunk drunk, as in you have no idea what your doing, it's a only at parties that don't happen very often. If it's tipsy drunk, as in intoxicated but still aware and fine and able, fine. I can get tipsy drunk at parties and I'm fine the next morning and that whole night. Having a glass is fine, I do that every 2/3 weeks (on average, as I said, I can go a month and a half without a drink), it doesn't do you any real damage. One glass will usually make me tipsy, as I like quite strong wines (7%-14% vol).
However, once I reach the point wear I feel a little tipsy, I stop and don't have more for my own health and start drinking fruit juice. If everyone did that, drinking would be fine. However, some people don't know when to stop/say no.
I see you too! XD

sharkie
Crazy Cat Lady
Crazy Cat Lady

Postby sharkie » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:23 pm

Getting drunk is awesome

That's my opinion
*TEETH KNASH* The yellow ducks shall eat your socks in the nighttime
Took Jangrafess out my sig, clearly he doesn't appreciate old respect when he's pulling stunts like that
Raped your sig to tell you, that yes it is! ~AG
Who cares. - Someone

I want to verb your noun

POKEMON BEASTIALITY PWNS ALL (yes, that was me - Jangra)

SORREH, Niki, teal is my color. ^_^ *rape* BOLD FTW. - Voldylicious
i thought you needed new rape from me and i like this color so *rapes* (:
oohhh kittyyy, she's so orgasmically amazing. *rapes*

opalkoboi
Heiki Koboi

Postby opalkoboi » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:29 pm

OK, it's fun to get drunk, but not often. Once every two/three months maybe. People who get drunk all the time are wasting their time, but it's their choice.
I see you too! XD

ILiveForTheDay
Golden Acorn Officer
Real First Name: ForeverDay

Postby ILiveForTheDay » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:40 am

I'm only a little older than Opal, and I've never been drunk. Although, if I'm politically correct, when I was two I stole a glass of my Mom's wine and was a completely abusive toddler after I got past the giggling stage.

But, par that, the closest I go to alcohol is a sip of whatever my parent's are drinking now and again. I just don't feel the need to. I enjoy the taste of cider, as it's so sweet, but if I'm utterly honest, wine doesn't do much for me. I'll be able to get pissed/enjoy wine when I'm older. For now I'm sticking to smoothies. :lick:
☺ ☻ ♥ ♠ ♣ ♦ • ◘ ♫ ☼ ☺ ♪ ♀ ◄ ↕ ‼ ► ↑ ↓ → § ← ∟ ↔ ▼ ▲ ! " £ $ % ^ & * ( ) _ + ¿

Grady: 'Cuz everytime you try to do something nice for us we end up sad
Nico: Or injured
Grady: Or in Mexico. . .

It's ALIVE.

☺ ☻ ♥ ♠ ♣ ♦ • ◘ ♫ ☼ ☺ ♪ ♀ ◄ ↕ ‼ ► ↑ ↓ → § ← ∟ ↔ ▼ ▲ ! " £ $ % ^ & * ( ) _ + ¿

Matt
Ruler of the People
Ruler of the People
Real First Name: Matt
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Matt

Postby Matt » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:39 pm

ILiveForTheDay wrote:I'm only a little older than Opal, and I've never been drunk. Although, if I'm politically correct, when I was two I stole a glass of my Mom's wine and was a completely abusive toddler after I got past the giggling stage.

But, par that, the closest I go to alcohol is a sip of whatever my parent's are drinking now and again. I just don't feel the need to. I enjoy the taste of cider, as it's so sweet, but if I'm utterly honest, wine doesn't do much for me. I'll be able to get pissed/enjoy wine when I'm older. For now I'm sticking to smoothies. :lick:

Love how you've put it. :laughing:

I think the issue here though goes far beyond just the moral issues surrounding drinking. I've spent a couple of years at University and am going back next year, and have been pretty drunk quite a few times. I think the point of no-return between being "ok" drunk and "too far" drunk is the inability to look after yourself. If you require someone else to help you walk, or speak, or anything else really, then you're too drunk.

I'm all for having a laugh and whatever, but be responsible. Over-drinking costs the NHS £3 billion a year which I personally think is disgusting, and if you end up in hospital purely because you've drunk too much (alcohol poisoning, needing your stomach pumped, etc) then you should pay for the time and money you've wasted.

Mere Reflection
Special Agent of Mr. Shiny

Postby Mere Reflection » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:43 am

I'm not big on alcohol in general. Although, I have to say, I have never drunk a single sip of that stuff. I'm Heiki's age, but I just don't like the concept, the unhealthiness, and the effect it can have on people.

Sure, when I'm 18 I might start drinking the occasional glass, but I don't think I'll get myself drunk. Seriously, I don't think it's worth it. Yes, I'm one of those careful and safety-concious people. Besides, if I drank even a sip of wine before passing the legal drinking age my parents would kill me.

So for now, like Ilive, I'm sticking to juice. :P
Thanks to Cat Moon & Raineesun for helping me do this XD
Always forgive your enemies - Nothing annoys them so much.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Evening news is where they begin with 'good evening' then proceed to tell you why it isn't.
Always remember you are utterly unique. Just like everyone else.
Why are you still reading this?
Nothing is impossible, yet everything is a lie. Fishies! :D
A/H forever

opalkoboi
Heiki Koboi

Postby opalkoboi » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:37 pm

Acohol can do you good. 2 glasses a day (when you're an adult, of course) helps provent certain heart conditions, and has other health benefits.

There is a difference between drunk and DRUNK. Drunk is when you're, for all medical perposes, drunk. You are still aware of everything, what you're doing, and are still yourself. DRUNK is stupid drunk where you could think you're superman and jump off a building. (Well, in most cases not so extreme but you understand what I mean).

So yeah, as long as you're responsible, drinking is fine. 8)
I see you too! XD

Celsica
Dwarf

Postby Celsica » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:14 pm

Well, I'm 16 and I've never been drunk. Ever. Even though I drink now and then a little glass of Pisco Sour (you drink that in small quantities because is very strong, and so-o sweet!). I tried a sip of whisky once and I absolutely loathed it.

The time I most drank was an an hotel with my parents. I asked my mom half joking for a glass of white (or yellow of whatever) wine, but she actually brought it. Filled to the top. I have this weird custom of drinking everything they serve me, so I drank down the wine even before my parents got their first sip. For the rest of the day I was slightly dizzy and happy. But is an experience I don't want to repeat in a near future.

Biologically speaking, drinking does bad to your body until you are 21 (THAT is the real age you stop growing). Even though is legal at 18, it's still bad for your organism. But opalkoboi is right: when you are an adult a cup or two of wine every week does you a lot of good.

You should definitely try Pisco Sour :laughing:
"I'll spare you the details, but basically the smoking jacket is not smoking"
Neal Caffrey --- White Collar

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles

Postby Kitsy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:48 pm

I don't it would be bad for at (in moderation) at the age of 18 - it wouldn't damage your liver if you drank responsiblity, definately not as much as at the ages of 16 or 14. I guess 21 might be the age when you finally stop growing (it's different from everyone) but I still think 18 should be the legal age - 21 just seems silly to me. You're an adult at 18, if you can get married, join the army, live by yourself you should be allowed to drink alcohol. Woo, living in the UK.

Celsica
Dwarf

Postby Celsica » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:02 pm

Yeah, I know that 18 is the perfect legal age, I'm just saying how it would be biologically spaeking. I'm not going to run for president so they change the law, just saying. :)

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles

Postby Kitsy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:47 pm

Haha, yeah I know you weren't making a huge point of it, was just saying so myself. Now, to make this point semi-on topic I'll say that I'm going out tonight and that I'll drink, simply to bring back reports for this debate, of course. XD

Celsica
Dwarf

Postby Celsica » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:51 pm

Of course, we perfectly understand that you are doing it as a sacrifice in the name of science, that you will not really enjoy it and that you will bring up-to-date information crucial for your point. I pity you, Kitsy

Return to “The Debate Forum”