Mac or PC???

Friendly, spirited debates please people! Keep it clean.
newnar2004
Atlantean
Real First Name: Zhou

Re: Mac or PC???

Postby newnar2004 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:44 am

Vista runs fine on it's own, but many 3rd party programs are still adapted to the XP system and may not work well on vista. I'm a WinXP supporter, not so much for Linux, but I don't deny it either. I just have pretty high hopes for XP.
GUIDE TO THE UNIVERSE
LANGUAGE>>>>>MATHEMATICS
RULES>>>>>SCIENCE

AsImOv rOx!!!
NeWtOn rOx!!!
EoIn CoLfEr rOx!!!

Griffar
Commander
Real First Name: Alex
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Griffar

Postby Griffar » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:21 am

Really it depends on how you use your computer. There are several ways to use a computer and some programs are made just for certain things.

I know you love one hundreds and thousands

Your Tears don't fall, they crash aroud me

Her conscience calls, the guilty to come home

gotta love Bullet For My Valentine

nindra
Council Member

Postby nindra » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:28 pm

PC, any day (except that Macs' touchpad-firmware is pwnsome (it delivers multiple fingers' coordinates -> pinch-zoom etc. is possible). Yes, small things matters :P). Ubuntu (or any Linux, preferably Debian-based), to be specific what kind of PC, because I want to do stuff when I want, and hack and play with stuff when I want. Windows requires hacking from day one (installing Windows so that it's at lest safe to use takes HOURS (sheesh, even booting a brand new laptop took 1.5 hours)), Macs doesn't let me hack/play with stuff under the hood. Ubuntu is ready to use from the moment you boot it (...you don't even have to install it :)) and I can always improve stuff if I want.

And if we talk about fandoms, Ubuntu. ;)
Really, sometimes I feel bad for Win-users who has to take all the crap Mac fanbois throws at them. Example: DigiToday (Finnish IT-news site) wrote about a kid who managed to get some sort of MS-certificate. First thought everyone has: The cert just probably is easy to get and so on, "what's the news?". DING, +100 rating in the comments if you happened to say that out loud. Someone who also has done the cert gives insightful comment about what the cert-exam is like. DING, -100 rating. Same happens with every Win/Mac news. If comment is pro-iPhone/Apple/Mac, +100 rating. Pro-Zune/Win/Microsoft, -100 (and vice versa). And this is one of the reasons why I've become quite anti-Mac/Apple lately.

Nutshell: Mac is for people who has too much money. And graphical/creative people (and idiots). PC is for everyone else. And next one who says something about viruses, go to...potatoland. PC != Windows. On these past 4 years I've used PC without anti-virus, I've had NO viruses. Nor slow downs (actually, Dad's computer became way faster when I upgraded it from Ubuntu 6.06 to 8.04, magic?)

Oh, oh, and about the experimental-stuff... Why I have to talk about yet another government that is about to switch to Linux/FOSS if Linux is experimental? I thought govs wants to Get Things Done. Those news are really getting boring, for last month I've had to talk about that stuff in a podcast I do, and seems that our next episode is going to have a "ZOMG A GOVERNMENT THINKS ABOUT MOVING TO FOSS!!!""-story I'm supposed to comment, too.

EDIT: Typofix.
Last edited by nindra on Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
æ

Voldy
Here's my card.
Here's my card.

Postby Voldy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:13 pm

Griffar wrote:Really it depends on how you use your computer. There are several ways to use a computer and some programs are made just for certain things.

Yeah, exactly. I've used Windows/PCs throughout my entire life, and of course, grew accustomed to them. However, just recently, I bought myself a MacBook, and I'm happier than ever. I'm a graphic/web design type of person, and for me, the MacBook is perfect. It works much faster than any PC I've ever used. I often run several programs at once--iTunes, AIM, MSN, Firefox, Photoshop, Dreamweaver--and my Mac runs them flawlessly. My Mac has never frozen or anything. Photoshop opens in around 10 seconds, whereas on my PC, it takes at least a few minutes. (The record for me was 12 minutes.) Having this kind of speed and functionality is what I love about Macs.

As someone mentioned, Apple designs both the hardware and software. Therefore, there is a seemless integration between the OS and the actual laptop, and it's visible in how smoothly the computer runs. When you get a PC with Windows, almost all the time, it is loaded with junk you don't need, that sometimes you don't even know exists on your computer. I'm too lazy to go back and check who said that OS X isn't that good, but I personally love it more than Windows. The actual look of the Mac OS X, and it is indeed very stable. It has so many simple features that improve usability, productivity, etc. From the ability to have more than one desktop (helps remove clutter (yes, I know Linux has that too)), to the quick, easy search feature (Spotlight), which finds things right away and is much better than Windows' search tool, to the Expos which allows you to instantly see every window that is open, to the ability of closing windows without having to quit the program, (I can close the iTunes window so that I don't have too many windows open, but my music will still play), to the customizable Dashboard, to Quick Look, which allows you to quickly view a file without having to actually open it. And if I absolutely need to use Windows, I have VMWare Fusion, which allows me to open a virtual machine of Windows XP (and I don't even have to shut down my Mac, it can run right in OS X). With Macs, everything just works, and it comes with great programs and features for both consumers and professionals.

nindra wrote:Really, sometimes I feel bad for Win-users who has to take all the crap Mac fanbois throws at them. Example: DigiToday (Finnish IT-news site) wrote about a kid who managed to get some sort of MS-certificate. First thought everyone has: The cert just probably is easy to get and so on, "what's the news?". DING, +100 rating in the comments if you happened to say that out loud. Someone who also has done the cert gives insightful comment about what the cert-exam is like. DING, -100 rating. Same happens with every Win/Mac news. If comment is pro-iPhone/Apple/Mac, +100 rating. Pro-Zune/Win/Microsoft, -100 (and vice versa). And this is one of the reasons why I've become quite anti-Mac/Apple lately.

That's not a legitimate reason to be anti-Mac or whatever. That's based on your feelings toward people's fondness for Apple, not how the computers actually work.

nindra wrote:Nutshell: Mac is for people who has too much money. And graphical/creative people (and idiots). PC is for everyone else. And next one who says something about viruses, go to...potatoland. PC != Windows. On these past 4 years I've used PC without anti-virus, I've had NO viruses. Nor slow downs (actually, Dad's computer became way faster when I upgraded it from Ubuntu 6.06 to 8.04, magic?)

I definitely don't have much money, and I would say that I'm also not an idiot. Macs are expensive for a reason--they're just really good computers, and Apple makes both the hardware and software. And I don't know what you do on that computer, but most people with Windows get a virus at least SOME time during the computer's lifespan. As for PCs with Ubuntu, well, of course you don't really get viruses. People who make viruses try to infect as many computers as possible, and not many people use Linux, so why bother? Same with Macs. That, and the fact that Macs don't run executables, so they're less prone to viruses.

So yeah, I've been a PC person all my life, but now that I've switched to a Mac, I'm happier than ever.

bentj96
Ruler of the People
Real First Name: Steven
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Dark Star

Postby bentj96 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:37 am

Personally, I like PC. I really just don't like the look of Mac. I hate the way Mac windows have rounded everything. The windows are rounded, buttons are rounded. Maybe I'm just too used to my PC that Mac seems weird to me. PC gets more viruses, is more prone to freezing and crashing, but i like it. Or, maybe it's the fact that PC is straightforward. The left and right mouse button system for Mac is really odd. What I hate the most. Buttons on the left, on the top and bottom. I like my buttons on the top and bottom only... Please and thank you. Oh, yeah. And my settings like being inside the program... Not out.

I'd like to note though, I haven't tried OS X Lion yet. It looks like I could like it more than PC, if the buttons were where I like them to be and there were no rounded windows and buttons.
Also known as Dark Star.

---98% of teenagers do or have tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.---

I WON the game.

Glow sticks glow when snapped. Why can't my leg?

"How? She gonna blink Morse code?" -Amaury Nolasco (Prison Break: The Final Break)

http://www.fanfiction.net/~lorddarkstar

Multiverse
Elf

Postby Multiverse » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:06 pm

Personally I´ve never owned an Apple product, but both of my parents and many of my friends have them, so I´m accostumed to them anyway. As a rule I wouldn´t use them, though, the first reason being the incompatibility with other systems (though that seems to be getting better). The second reason is that Apple is simply going a bit too obviously for total world domination (and I´m slightly disappointed in humanity for not realising that even after they actually published a package called Ilife). =P

AthenaParadizo
Commander

Postby AthenaParadizo » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:46 pm

I prefer PCs because I enjoy writing. With Macs, it's harder and slower to cut/copy and paste, whatever they have that's a substitute for Word is more hassle than it's worse, and I'm so awfully confused by the absence of the right-click. Almost everything you can do with a right-click and select an option on PC is replaced by a maddening Command-something on Mac that you have to memorize.
True, PCs aren't as virus-repellant as Macs, but I don't use my computer for much (just Word, Paint, and the internet) and have nothing really important that can't be redone or replaced.

Arty Fowl Fan
Gremlin
Real First Name: Fred

Postby Arty Fowl Fan » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:08 am

I like Macs, but I'm stuck with a PC.
I think Macs are really worth the price.
"I now pronounce you... man and elf."- No.1

artificialGenius
Sprite
AFC Fan Fiction Name: artificialGenius

Postby artificialGenius » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:50 am

AthenaParadizo wrote:I prefer PCs because I enjoy writing. With Macs, it's harder and slower to cut/copy and paste, whatever they have that's a substitute for Word is more hassle than it's worse, and I'm so awfully confused by the absence of the right-click. Almost everything you can do with a right-click and select an option on PC is replaced by a maddening Command-something on Mac that you have to memorize.
True, PCs aren't as virus-repellant as Macs, but I don't use my computer for much (just Word, Paint, and the internet) and have nothing really important that can't be redone or replaced.

Well, in the Preferences of a Mac you can make it so that you have right click. It's really easy, actually. Go to the mouse settings, it should be in there. Switch the option for the right hand side from "Primary Button" to "Secondary Button" and you now have right-click. Though for copy-and-pasting, it's very easy. Command-C is copy, Command-V is paste.

Anyway, I mostly just prefer Macs since I like the look of them better, both in terms of the actual computer and the interface. Though the "actual computer" part might come from the fact that I adore GLaDOS and Aperture Science, and most of Aperture Science's technology look as though they are produced by Mac. They're also faster than most of the Windows computers I've used. I mean, I like both and am okay with people using whatever they like best, I just prefer Mac personally. If I could have both, I would.

Also, Mac has the iPhone 4S, meaning they have Siri, who is basically an AI... I love AIs.
My avatar was made by feastings on tumblr.
"Well, you've gotta stop selling your soul to the devil. He's just gonna want more and more, it's like a drug."

AthenaParadizo
Commander

Postby AthenaParadizo » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:31 am

Yeah, but the problem with the mouse settings is that I probably could never have figured that out on my own :laughing: and command- c or v is an unnecessary bother with pictures.

JetDragon1656
Mud Man
Real First Name: Stephanie

Postby JetDragon1656 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:55 am

PC is better definallty because you don't have to go buying special stuff that only works for that computer and costs more money. Macs are not good for school at all either. Its kindof hard to to a powerpoint on a mac that doesn't have micrsoft powerpoint on it that you put on a flashdrive when you started it in class in the computer lab that only has PC's lol. As Mac don't hold up as well as a PC.
"There are no endings in life, just new beginnings."-Flavia
"Never try to tell someone everything you know...you might find out that it takes to short of a time."-teacher
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."-Abraham Lincoln
"If I were you then you'd be me and if I were you I would hide somewhere far away."-Artemis Fowl

ImageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

nindra
Council Member

Postby nindra » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:01 pm

JetDragon1656 wrote:PC is better definallty because you don't have to go buying special stuff that only works for that computer and costs more money. Macs are not good for school at all either. Its kindof hard to to a powerpoint on a mac that doesn't have micrsoft powerpoint on it that you put on a flashdrive when you started it in class in the computer lab that only has PC's lol. As Mac don't hold up as well as a PC.

1) No one forces you to buy the special hardware with apple-sticker on them. The same devices without the sticker work fine on Mac.
2) There is no such thing as "Microsoft Office" for Linux _at all_, yet I've held many presentations with Powerpoint successfully.
3) Unless you've screwed up something, the same flash drive works just fine on both Windows and Mac (and Linux, but Linux works fine with everything).

Note: The only Apple-stickered piece of hardware I own is USB-keyboard I looted from a G3 iMac (just because it had built-in USB-hub). I just wanted to fix the misinformation.
æ

Fallon
Sprite
Location: i am probably having the time of my life. or sleeping.

Postby Fallon » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:47 am

Pc, but only because I dont have a Mac. :)
I sat down and tried to write a story.

"Ian MacArthur is a wonderful sweet fellow who wears glasses and peers out of them with delight."

That was the first sentence. The problem was that I just couldn't think of the next one. After cleaning my room three times, I decided to leave Ian alone for a while because I was starting to get mad at him.

-The Perks Of Being A Wallflower

The story of my life ^^^

BeckettFoxriverFowl
Gremlin

Postby BeckettFoxriverFowl » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:11 pm

PC but Macs are all right.....
Hmmmmm.....I forgot what i was going to say...

Spoiler:
What I was going to say Beckett

Return to “The Debate Forum”