Should you care what others think?

Friendly, spirited debates please people! Keep it clean.
FoalysGirl
The Techie

Re: Should you care what others think?

Postby FoalysGirl » Fri May 01, 2009 2:05 am

Yes, sometimes people will get bullied if one doesn't care what others think but you have to take the higher road. The one thing I remembered through school when people bullied was "That's alright, that's okay. You're gonna pump my gas one day." So whenever I said that I knew that I could be myself.
"Edwin, what's the plural for Ox?"
"Oxen. The farmer used his oxen."
"Brian,"
"What?"
"What's the plural for box?"
"Boxen! I bought two boxen of doughnuts."

---Brain's stupid in school comedy skit

"I'm the dude, playing the dude, disguised as another dude." ----Tropic Thunder

"Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock." ------ Buffy season 6

"He was like....Napoleon!" ---Me

bentj96
Ruler of the People
Real First Name: Steven
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Dark Star

Postby bentj96 » Fri May 01, 2009 4:41 am

There are some reasons I make sure no one thinks I'm weird or nerdy. It's because, if you are weird, you don't have many friends, bullies target you and you will have a small chance of having a girl friend, or if you're a girl, boyfriend, or if you are gay, either.
Also known as Dark Star.

---98% of teenagers do or have tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.---

I WON the game.

Glow sticks glow when snapped. Why can't my leg?

"How? She gonna blink Morse code?" -Amaury Nolasco (Prison Break: The Final Break)

http://www.fanfiction.net/~lorddarkstar

Creatress
Dwarf

Postby Creatress » Fri May 01, 2009 5:32 am

That must be exhausting... Watching every step you take, every word you speak in order to keep from being someone you don't want to be. This may sound cliched, but a real friend would stand by you no matter how wierd you are.

Personally, I love being wierd. And true, I don't have many friends, but that's probably because I'm an introvert who has a hard time warming up to people. But the friends I do have would stay with me through anything. I wouldn't give them up for a 100-friend network or anything. :P
All hail the Almighty Creatress! ;P

xXxXx

If you think that Writer's Block sucks, copy and paste this into your profile.

xXxXx

"'Holly, let me look at you,' he said again, holding her shoulders.

Something in Artemis's voice made Holly stop what she was doing and pay attention. This was not a tone that Artemis Fowl used very often. It could almost classify as tenderness.'
- The Lost Colony

FoalysGirl
The Techie

Postby FoalysGirl » Sat May 02, 2009 2:16 am

I have many friends cause I didn't care throughout school what kind of person I was. I was myself, and I have to say that I was weird and still am, and my friends liked me. I even had a relationship when I was younger and we were both weird.
"Edwin, what's the plural for Ox?"
"Oxen. The farmer used his oxen."
"Brian,"
"What?"
"What's the plural for box?"
"Boxen! I bought two boxen of doughnuts."

---Brain's stupid in school comedy skit

"I'm the dude, playing the dude, disguised as another dude." ----Tropic Thunder

"Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock." ------ Buffy season 6

"He was like....Napoleon!" ---Me

bentj96
Ruler of the People

Postby bentj96 » Sat May 02, 2009 2:38 am

There is a difference between being weird with your friends and just being weird. You don't want people to think your desperate, your obsessed with everything, or perhaps you have some weird habits. Picking your nose is a good example. And you don't want to look ridiculous all the time. People also dislike others who always be who they are, or always say what they think others think of them. So as long as you are not a person who is disliked or thought weird, by everyone other then your friends, you should be fine.
Also known as Dark Star.

---98% of teenagers do or have tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.---

I WON the game.

"How? She gonna blink Morse code?" -Amaury Nolasco (Prison Break: The Final Break)

Creatress
Dwarf

Postby Creatress » Sat May 02, 2009 4:12 am

Picking your nose isn't a "wierd" habit; it's a health and sanitary issue. Urgh. There are some things that society as a whole tends to frown upon.

But what do you mean "People also dislike others who always be who they are, or always say what they think others think of them." ?? The first part of that sentence really bothers me - I, for one, am always who I am. I barely understood the second part of that sentence.
All hail the Almighty Creatress! ;P

xXxXx

If you think that Writer's Block sucks, copy and paste this into your profile.

xXxXx

"'Holly, let me look at you,' he said again, holding her shoulders.

Something in Artemis's voice made Holly stop what she was doing and pay attention. This was not a tone that Artemis Fowl used very often. It could almost classify as tenderness.'
- The Lost Colony

bentj96
Ruler of the People

Postby bentj96 » Sat May 02, 2009 7:55 pm

I didn't really understand it either. I know someone who always says he is a retard/a**hole just because other people think he is one.
Also known as Dark Star.

I WON the game.

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles
Real First Name: Katarina

Postby Kitsy » Sat May 02, 2009 10:22 pm

The problem is, what do you define as changing yourself to fit with other people? There's being weird and there's being weird, and the latter isn't a good thing. Like Bent said, picking your nose, it may be sanitary but it's against social etiquette and we live in a society, so we have to respect these rules. If you don't respect these rules, then you'll make other people feel uncomfortable and they will dislike you for it.
For example, what if you didn't like washing? You don't care what others think, so why should you wash? Because you would stink, and other people don't like that. Have you ever sat next to someone on a bus who doesn't wash properly, it's not nice.

Part of caring what others think is being aware of what others feel. You have to know when to shut up, when to stop calling someone, when to back away, when to speak up and when not to etc. You may not want to, you may be loud person but sometimes you just have to keep quiet or you'll be seen as annoying, obtrusive and inconsiderate.

We live in a society, with other people, and we can't just expect everyone to accept us exactly as we are. How would you work alongside someone who expected that. We have to be attentive to what other people think and feel, and can't just expect them to accept us completely as we are. I don't mean completely change who you are, clothing, music/film tastes or whatever, but still subtly changing parts of your personality to fit in with who you're with.

For example, if you're with a loud group of people, you're loud but if you're with a group of people who are quite quiet, you'd be quiet too otherwise you'd make them feel awkward.

I admit that in the case of your closest friends or a partner they have to be able to accept you for who you are because these are the people who love and care for you despite your flaws. But in the general world, you can't expect people to just accept you, it's not how life works.

And tbh, even if you say you have lots of friends and are exactly who you are amongst them, well, you're slightly disillusioned. You're not you the whole time, otherwise you wouldn't be able to have friends in different social circles because they would have different ways/atmospheres/whatever. It's just little things, but you will change slightly.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, it's a bit of a ramble xD
Silly little foul black twisted heart I am!
http://superkits.tumblr.com

bentj96
Ruler of the People

Postby bentj96 » Sun May 03, 2009 12:38 am

:D Pretty much what I said, but in more detail.
Also known as Dark Star.

I WON the game.

Laotzu
Pixie
Real First Name: Derek

Postby Laotzu » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:45 pm

Personally I don't think you should care, and I mean truly not care. Not care doesn't mean going out of your way to be a non conformist, it means doing what feels right (if that makes any sense). Basically don't let the opinions of others affect any decision you make (unless the decision is based on those opinions, say if you were president, lol).

EDIT: This is very difficult and I do not say that I can do this effectively. There are exceptions to this rule, obviously you want to make your significant other happy, but this thread is mainly talking about the general public anyway.
"Now, are you going to cause a fuss or are you going to come quietly? Let me give you a hint: the answer is come quietly." -Butler

"If I win, I'm a prodigy. If I lose then I'm crazy. That's the way history is written." -Artemis Fowl

Foaly: Anyone see you come in here?
Holly: The FBI, CIA, NSA, DEA, MI6. Oh, and the EIB.
Foaly: The EIB?
Holly: (smirking) Everyone in the building.

bentj96
Ruler of the People

Postby bentj96 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:46 pm

Yes I see what you mean. But remaining ignorant is just being naive. The problem with caring sometimes, is when it goes over board. When you destroy your own person to fit that of others. You should care only to the point that you don't stick out as some sort of nerd or weirdo. So basically you care to a point that makes you some what normal.
Also known as Dark Star.

I WON the game.

silverphoenix
Elf

Postby silverphoenix » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:42 am

I think you should care only to a degree which makes you happy. If you go beyond a point where you start feeling like you are not being true to yourself or your self-image is suffering, then you should probably sit down and sort your priorities a bit. However, that does not mean do anything that makes you happy. When we live in society we are expected to behave in a certain way. As much as I would like to wear the comfortable clothes I wear at home in public, I do not wish to appear to other people like a lazy bum who just got off of the couch. If you want to be respected by other people you must show that you respect yourself. A wrinkly shirt, old sweatpants, and disorderly hair does not project the image of a self-satisfied, confident individual. Also, dressing nice does make me feel good, in a way. The most important thing is I dress for myself first, not others. Well, that's fine as far as appearance goes, but as Kitsy said, when it comes to opinions and behavior around others you have watch what you say and do as you may unknowingly offend someone (unless you don't really like them).
"Did someone say Draco Malfoy?"

bentj96
Ruler of the People

Postby bentj96 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:47 am

Still, going there isn't a bad thing. If your image is something entirely off, you might want to think of changing so that not only will you benefit, but others will. But once you start feeling like your a failure or you are really missing your old life, that is too far.
Also known as Dark Star.

I WON the game.

softballislife
Elf
Real First Name: Augusta(gay)

Postby softballislife » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:53 pm

I think what others think does matter somewhat. If you go around dressing like a slut, people are most likely gonna awesome your trashy, and you dont want people to think that do you? Idk
There is no sincerer love then the love of food
"woman,please"-Bobby
tony tony put yo oscar mayer in me (says this while holding a hotdog bun like a puppet)"
GREATEST rappa alive LIL WAYNE =]
"baby like shrimp fried rice!" afroman/lukey(Luke smith)
"Hey, hey, hey, this THE remix. Hey pretty lady." Lukey bear

cezen
Elf

Postby cezen » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:53 pm

Ummm yes, I definitely want people to think I'm a slut ('-' )
Truth is: Texas sucks.

How is Gunny feeling on First Earth?

Return to “The Debate Forum”