Death

Friendly, spirited debates please people! Keep it clean.
OneFourFive
Swear Toad
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:15 am
Status: Offline

Re: Death

Postby OneFourFive » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:06 am

Not necessarily. I thought paranoia would be that you constantly think about it even when there's no need to. But if you mention death to someone and they start thinking about afterlife and all that and that starts freaking them out then I reckon that's different.

User avatar
Purple_Enigma
Pixie
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:11 pm
Location: Yeah, as if I'll tell.
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: Death

Postby Purple_Enigma » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:30 am

I am not really afraid of death per se, I never have been. I know we eventually have to die. I just have a mild curiosity of what comes after. Y'know, whether there is a heaven, or its just like eternal sleep or something. I'm not against the idea of God existing, but I can never bring myself to fully believe it....So I dunno about the heaven thing. I sometimes wish I don't die a painful death, y'know while watching a movie or something, but it's as much in my control as is the world, so I just let it go.

Whatever has to happen will happen.
TAC
Spoiler:
'I must go,Butler,' said Artemis firmly.'My mind is eating me alive.I think the guilt is the main problem.I must do whatever I can to atone.'
'And?' said Butler,unconvinced.
Artemis held his arms out so that Foaly could drape the suit sleeves over them.
'And I will not be beaten by that jackass.'
'Jackass?'said Foaly,wounded.‘My favourite uncle is a jackass.'


From here
Spoiler:
If asked in class what the Avada Kedavra curse does, yelling "It does DEATH!" may be correct but is not the manner in which one should answer.
The proper way to report to Professor McGonagall is "You wanted to see me, Professor?" Not "I have it on good authority that you have no evidence."
I will not tell the Ravenclaws that they're basically useless because Hogwarts' smartest student is in another house.
I will not conjure up lemons and say-Life hath given thou LEMONS!

Image

EA 2011 - The Member who is Always in the Know :D :D

User avatar
ILiveForTheDay
Golden Acorn Officer
Posts: 1723
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:48 pm
Real First Name: ForeverDay
Location: A little town I like to call home.
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: Death

Postby ILiveForTheDay » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:22 pm

I'm not particulary keen on dying right now; I wanna to live life to the full first. How 'bout I get asked this again when I'm ninety? :p

But that said, it is out of my control, and whatever's meant to be will be. I also know where I'm going where I die, that it's going to be the most amazing place, and I'll get to see people who I've loved and then they died, again. That gives me a lot of peace about the entire issue.
☺ ☻ ♥ ♠ ♣ ♦ • ◘ ♫ ☼ ☺ ♪ ♀ ◄ ↕ ‼ ► ↑ ↓ → § ← ∟ ↔ ▼ ▲ ! " £ $ % ^ & * ( ) _ + ¿

Grady: 'Cuz everytime you try to do something nice for us we end up sad
Nico: Or injured
Grady: Or in Mexico. . .

***
It's ALIVE.

☺ ☻ ♥ ♠ ♣ ♦ • ◘ ♫ ☼ ☺ ♪ ♀ ◄ ↕ ‼ ► ↑ ↓ → § ← ∟ ↔ ▼ ▲ ! " £ $ % ^ & * ( ) _ + ¿

User avatar
Dontmovethefilesevil
Pixie
Posts: 335
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:19 am
Real First Name: Does not exist
Location: Somewhere shooting 47 Avada Kadavra's at someone, also known as an AK-47.
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: Death

Postby Dontmovethefilesevil » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:53 am

Death is unknown.
I fear the unknown,
Therefore
I fear Death.
However,
Death is set in stone
for certain souls.
So should they
Fear Death as well?
If only for the want to live?
To exist on this plane?
Those matters are simple,
Yet important to some.
For life is the pivitol moment,
Where fate decides the afterlife
Of each soul.
But that makes Death known,
Correct?
I should not
fear it, then.
No.
Death is the effects of our actions
The effects are not known.
Will Hell await,
Or Limbo?
Or Heaven?
We can not be sure.

I just felt like writing my statement in a freelance poem.
ImageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.



Muahahahaha I am the evil ruler of the universe and will KILL you


"Do you know how many legs are on that stool, Arty? Three. Only three and that's not a good number for you. Not at all. Three is nearly as bad as four and we all know what four sounds like in Chinese, don't we?"The Atlantis Complex


GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.


User avatar
BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter
Posts: 1231
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:37 pm
Location: If I'm online, then I'm by a computer. Somewhere.
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: Death

Postby BkkprGirl » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:52 am

The last enemy that shall be defeated is death.

Yes, I went there. I quoted Harry Potter.

And anyway, I don't think you can really live a full life until you've looked back on it with the realization that it's going to end. I'm not afraid of death. I used to be, but I've accepted it. Next great adventure, you know?
Image
"Stories are the only thing worth dying for."
~The Unwritten

User avatar
Purple_Enigma
Pixie
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:11 pm
Location: Yeah, as if I'll tell.
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: Death

Postby Purple_Enigma » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:38 am

BkkprGirl wrote:The last enemy that shall be defeated is death.

Yes, I went there. I quoted Harry Potter.

And anyway, I don't think you can really live a full life until you've looked back on it with the realization that it's going to end. I'm not afraid of death. I used to be, but I've accepted it. Next great adventure, you know?

I love you!! You quoted HP twice! :p

Dumbeldore was totally right about death, even though he gets on my nerves in HPDH :p
TAC
Spoiler:
'I must go,Butler,' said Artemis firmly.'My mind is eating me alive.I think the guilt is the main problem.I must do whatever I can to atone.'
'And?' said Butler,unconvinced.
Artemis held his arms out so that Foaly could drape the suit sleeves over them.
'And I will not be beaten by that jackass.'
'Jackass?'said Foaly,wounded.‘My favourite uncle is a jackass.'


From here
Spoiler:
If asked in class what the Avada Kedavra curse does, yelling "It does DEATH!" may be correct but is not the manner in which one should answer.
The proper way to report to Professor McGonagall is "You wanted to see me, Professor?" Not "I have it on good authority that you have no evidence."
I will not tell the Ravenclaws that they're basically useless because Hogwarts' smartest student is in another house.
I will not conjure up lemons and say-Life hath given thou LEMONS!

Image

EA 2011 - The Member who is Always in the Know :D :D

User avatar
hyunjoonglovie
Elf
Posts: 682
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:40 am
Real First Name: Jess :P
Location: Latitude: 28° 0' 0 S, Longitude: 153° 25' 60 E
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: Death

Postby hyunjoonglovie » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:06 pm

I do not fear death. I personally believe their is no afterlife, heaven, hell whatever, I think there is simply nothing. To be honest it is my view that humans are not significant enough or worthy for want of a better word of a heaven/afterlife. The universe does not revolve around us. I think that while we all have souls, I do not think they are immortal. I am completely fine with this mentality. In fact, it is a motivation to live your life to the full, because you do not get a second chance. This is it.

If you think this is depressing, then remember this: Even if you die and nothing happens, your ashes will always remain in this universe. Techniquely, you will always exist. Frankly I cant wait billions of years until the dust that is us, is responsible for some traits that random aliens get on another planet XD (after you know, our solar system collides with andrometer and the earth is insinergrated XD)...
We all have a dark side...

Image

Spoiler:
That awkward moment when someone says "hi" to you, and you reply with "I'm good"... -_-

That shite moment in an argument when you realise you are wrong...

That awesome moment when the teacher asks you a question, thinking you weren't being attentive. Then you answer it right, it's like "What now! WIN!!!"

That depressing moment when your mum scribbles on the award your school gave you in congratulations for all your hard work, just to get her stupid pen to work D':


But you love me XD

User avatar
bentj96
Ruler of the People
Posts: 2721
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:29 am
Real First Name: Steven
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Dark Star
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Gender: Male
Status: Offline

Re: Death

Postby bentj96 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:08 pm

hyunjoonglovie wrote:I do not fear death. I personally believe their is no afterlife, heaven, hell whatever, I think there is simply nothing. To be honest it is my view that humans are not significant enough or worthy for want of a better word of a heaven/afterlife. The universe does not revolve around us. I think that while we all have souls, I do not think they are immortal. I am completely fine with this mentality. In fact, it is a motivation to live your life to the full, because you do not get a second chance. This is it.

If you think this is depressing, then remember this: Even if you die and nothing happens, your ashes will always remain in this universe. Techniquely, you will always exist. Frankly I cant wait billions of years until the dust that is us, is responsible for some traits that random aliens get on another planet XD (after you know, our solar system collides with andrometer and the earth is insinergrated XD)...


One thing I've learned over the past few months is that the fear or death... Is much like the fear of heights. It could be some type of near-death experience that triggers some type of innate fear, something that is so primal that it can't be controlled by will. Fear of death is irrational, much like a phobia, but it is instinct to try to stay alive.

Your view of religion is actually a bit disturbing, to be honest. The only real reason us humans are the only ones in the Bible may be because it is directed to us, and us alone. We have no contact with anyone or thing so there is no point. Another possibility is that whoever wrote the Bible, may have mis-interpreted whatever God told him. Your statements are a bit overtly negative and cynical, although I can't say your opinion is wrong.

It is true that we will always exist because matter can not be destroyed so it will always change. It can even change between elements. The problem is our ashes, are almost 100% pure carbon. The base component of almost all life on Earth. The rest is released into the air or simply burned. Burning breaks proteins and destroys cells, so we will have no affect on future animals.
Also known as Dark Star.

---98% of teenagers do or have tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.---

I WON the game.

Glow sticks glow when snapped. Why can't my leg?


"How? She gonna blink Morse code?" -Amaury Nolasco (Prison Break: The Final Break)

http://www.fanfiction.net/~lorddarkstar

User avatar
CallMeDomovoi
Swear Toad
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:58 am
Location: *Classified*
Status: Offline

Re: Death

Postby CallMeDomovoi » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:32 am

I know this is going to sound pretentious, but it's not death I fear so much as the idea of dying and not having contributed to this world. I'd like to do something of merit before I did, and the thought of dying before I can do that is what worries me.
Doppler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when you come at them rapidly.
--
WARNING: This person has a doctorate in sarcasm. Proceed with caution.

User avatar
bentj96
Ruler of the People
Posts: 2721
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:29 am
Real First Name: Steven
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Dark Star
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Gender: Male
Status: Offline

Re: Death

Postby bentj96 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:58 am

CallMeDomovoi wrote:I know this is going to sound pretentious, but it's not death I fear so much as the idea of dying and not having contributed to this world. I'd like to do something of merit before I did, and the thought of dying before I can do that is what worries me.


That's rather natural, in my opinion. I would not like to die knowing that I had never done anything of importance, rather, my passing means nothing. No one wants to know that they lived for no purpose. This is intimately connected to the instinct to live though, in the sense that an organism has an instinct to live because it wants to further the development of its own species. Wanting to contribute instead of take from our own development is simply instinct.
Also known as Dark Star.

---98% of teenagers do or have tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.---

I WON the game.

Glow sticks glow when snapped. Why can't my leg?


"How? She gonna blink Morse code?" -Amaury Nolasco (Prison Break: The Final Break)

http://www.fanfiction.net/~lorddarkstar

User avatar
hyunjoonglovie
Elf
Posts: 682
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:40 am
Real First Name: Jess :P
Location: Latitude: 28° 0' 0 S, Longitude: 153° 25' 60 E
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: Death

Postby hyunjoonglovie » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:15 pm

CallMeDomovoi wrote:
I know this is going to sound pretentious, but it's not death I fear so much as the idea of dying and not having contributed to this world. I'd like to do something of merit before I did, and the thought of dying before I can do that is what worries me.


I actually agree with the underlying point in this statement, that we should aim to make something of ourselves (some sort of contribution) while we are alive, while we have the chance.

Yes, I also agree that my views on religion can be quite synical (actually look on the homosexuality debate - the most recent posts, I'm even worse there XD), but in my defence I have had some very bad experiences with preists, churches and worse, religious family members. But that is off topic.

My point is that it may be natural (while illogical) to fear death and I understand that this may be some primal instinct encouraging us to stay alive. I think religions and beliefs such as my own are a coping mechanism to deal with and confront death.
We all have a dark side...

Image

Spoiler:
That awkward moment when someone says "hi" to you, and you reply with "I'm good"... -_-

That shite moment in an argument when you realise you are wrong...

That awesome moment when the teacher asks you a question, thinking you weren't being attentive. Then you answer it right, it's like "What now! WIN!!!"

That depressing moment when your mum scribbles on the award your school gave you in congratulations for all your hard work, just to get her stupid pen to work D':


But you love me XD

User avatar
Mere Reflection
Special Agent of Mr. Shiny
Posts: 568
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:09 am
Location: Taking over the WOOOORLD!
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: Death

Postby Mere Reflection » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:06 am

A kid from my primary school died today. I've been bawling my eyes out. He was in the year above me, and I knew him well.

But it did make me think.
Am I scared of dying? Yes. Scared to death. But I accept it as a part of life. Without dark, there is no light. Death and life go together. It's... Hard, yes, but it's nature. I believe in God, and a spirit. In my mind, your spirit is like a force inside you. Love, hate, hapiness- I think they come from your spirit, your soul, whatever you call it. Something separate from your bones and blood and muscle- what makes you you. Feel free to disagree, but that is what I think. I believe in God.
Is death bad? Perhaps. I have no idea. I haven't experienced it! But I believe yes, it is natural. That said, I am deeply against euthanasia and the death penalty. I believe you should live life, and not be consumed by thoughts of death and fear. I am going to die.
But all that means is to make the absolute BEST out of life, and have as good a time as I can.

And yes, I want to make a positive difference in my life. That's my one big ambition- to do what I can to make this world a better place. :)
Thanks to Cat Moon & Raineesun for helping me do this XD
Always forgive your enemies - Nothing annoys them so much.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Evening news is where they begin with 'good evening' then proceed to tell you why it isn't.
Always remember you are utterly unique. Just like everyone else.
Why are you still reading this?
Nothing is impossible, yet everything is a lie. Fishies! :D
A/H forever

User avatar
hyunjoonglovie
Elf
Posts: 682
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:40 am
Real First Name: Jess :P
Location: Latitude: 28° 0' 0 S, Longitude: 153° 25' 60 E
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: Death

Postby hyunjoonglovie » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:06 am

*this is slightly off topic, sorry*
@mere reflection, yes I saw your post in the chat box thing on the board index. I am not really sure what to say without rambling, but I do know that I am very sorry that you're going through this. My granddad just died, but unlike your friend he was deteriorating slowly for monthes so it was expected.

It was still a shock when he did pass though but I guess it is times like these when you realise how fragile life is. As cliche as it is, we have to make the most of it.
We all have a dark side...

Image

Spoiler:
That awkward moment when someone says "hi" to you, and you reply with "I'm good"... -_-

That shite moment in an argument when you realise you are wrong...

That awesome moment when the teacher asks you a question, thinking you weren't being attentive. Then you answer it right, it's like "What now! WIN!!!"

That depressing moment when your mum scribbles on the award your school gave you in congratulations for all your hard work, just to get her stupid pen to work D':


But you love me XD

User avatar
opalkoboi
Heiki Koboi
Posts: 1037
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:46 pm
Real First Name: Phoebe
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Heiki Koboi
Location: Forming the Ranga Revolution....MUHAHAHAHA!!!
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: Death

Postby opalkoboi » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:06 pm

I agree with hyunjoonglovie.
hyunjoonglovie wrote:I do not fear death. I personally believe their is no afterlife, heaven, hell whatever, I think there is simply nothing. To be honest it is my view that humans are not significant enough or worthy for want of a better word of a heaven/afterlife. The universe does not revolve around us. I think that while we all have souls, I do not think they are immortal. I am completely fine with this mentality. In fact, it is a motivation to live your life to the full, because you do not get a second chance. This is it.

If you think this is depressing, then remember this: Even if you die and nothing happens, your ashes will always remain in this universe. Techniquely, you will always exist. Frankly I cant wait billions of years until the dust that is us, is responsible for some traits that random aliens get on another planet XD (after you know, our solar system collides with andrometer and the earth is insinergrated XD)...


Hm, yeah, the heat and radiation blasted on the species will make us eternally carbon. How fun...

Btw, I love the whole "our solar system collides with andrometer and the earth is insinerated" laughy face. Doesn't sound insane at all. Although I must add the sun would have started to supernova by then, so that could kill us, and in 3-5 billion year anything could happen to our race. It's not even certian. There is a much closer predicted end: 2024 - a comet the size of manhatten could hit the earth (we don't know its exact course yet, and the relation to where we are to its course). It will either hit us or come so close to earth it'll pass under satilites (our ones, not natural ones).

And yeah, death is a great motivation to live. I am always asking myself "If I died tomorrow would I regret not doing this?" (oxymorons for the win! XD).

I believe we should never be afraid of doing anything, because one day you'll lay on your death bed and think "So many things I never did..." However, as well as making a contribution to the world, I believe we should have fun - doing what we want regradless of what others think, as others judgement can hold us back. I just hope when I die many people remember me in good way, and think "Things were great with her...".

The majority of people believe in an afterlife. I'd love to. Because we, as the human race, are frightened of dying. Not dying as such, but leaving our loved ones behind, ect. Believing in an after life makes death easier, and they say there is no such thing as an atheist on their death bed.
Although I do hate those people who come back from the dead and say "I saw a bright light and had a feeling of peace". They obviously don't seem to grasp the fact that light is the last thing your brain focuses on before it shuts down ect so of course you saw a light; and that the feeling of peace is your muscles relaxing, brain shutting down, ect.

I, like all young people, and old I suppose, would not like to die now. There is so much I want to do. I can't wait to get into sixth form, get into uni, get my PhD, try and help the world, and live the life I never had; and certainly give my children the life I always wanted.
Image
I see you too! XD

Image

User avatar
Multiverse
Elf
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:21 pm
Location: Denmark
Gender: Male
Status: Offline

Re: Death

Postby Multiverse » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:52 pm

opalkoboi wrote:I agree with hyunjoonglovie.
hyunjoonglovie wrote:I do not fear death. I personally believe their is no afterlife, heaven, hell whatever, I think there is simply nothing. To be honest it is my view that humans are not significant enough or worthy for want of a better word of a heaven/afterlife. The universe does not revolve around us. I think that while we all have souls, I do not think they are immortal. I am completely fine with this mentality. In fact, it is a motivation to live your life to the full, because you do not get a second chance. This is it.

If you think this is depressing, then remember this: Even if you die and nothing happens, your ashes will always remain in this universe. Techniquely, you will always exist. Frankly I cant wait billions of years until the dust that is us, is responsible for some traits that random aliens get on another planet XD (after you know, our solar system collides with andrometer and the earth is insinergrated XD)...



I completely agree with both of you. Hyun basically typed out my entire opinion in the first paragraph. Death has always been one of my favourites on a long list of reasons to live properly.

I believe that one of my favourite human traits is the inability to understand how little influence we have on the world as whole. Not even something as tiny as Planet Earth has changed much because of us, after all.

Regardless, I´d be very, very disappointed to die anytime soon. I want to experience 2100, at the very least (says I, as though my love of life actually has any kind of rational relation to the debate)!

-Multiverse
Image


Return to “The Debate Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Artemis Fowl Confidential Fan Forum : Disclaimer
cron

Login  •  Register