Debating Guidelines PLEASE READ.

Friendly, spirited debates please people! Keep it clean.
Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles
Real First Name: Katarina

Debating Guidelines PLEASE READ.

Postby Kitsy » Sun May 10, 2009 10:46 am

[Note: We will start going through the debating forum and getting rid of pointless debating threads that don't fit at all with the guidelines etc. This'll start happening within the next few days, but have no worries, most debates will stay.]

Debating Guidelines.

The Debating Forum is a fairly active and important part of AFC, and so it has been suggested and decided that a set of guidelines for people to follow would be helpful in making it a more enjoyable place to debate. We encourage you to follow these guidelines to make the Debating Forum work better.

Important: Mature topics will be discussed here, so please use your own judgment as to what to read and what not to. However, we will be keeping a close eye on said mature topics as this is a children-orientated forum and there are many young members of the forum. Any mature debate must be properly titled so members can know what is being discussed, and a rating of "M" for Mature to be put after the title.

The main guidelines when creating a debate are:

1) The topic or statement must be debatable. You cannot have a debate over whether pedophilia is a good thing, nor can you have a debate over whether two and two really makes four; therefore, make your topic one in which both sides can debate. Also remember that opinions are not debates; you must argue your case.
- An additional note is to try and avoid fandom debates, such as "Twilight vs. Harry Potter" unless there is actually something to debate about.

2) Explain your topic or statement. Please avoid broad statements -- be specific so everyone can understand what the issue is. Explain what you are talking about and the different aspects of it.

3) Research! You help yourself when you are familiar with the topic you are debating, and you help others understand and get an idea of what the topic is.

4) While there is no minimum word count, we suggest the initial post to be around 100 words.

5) Try and make your title closely related to the topic of the debate to show people what is going to be discussed.

When replying to a debate:

1) Explain your opinion. Do not just go "I agree," and leave it at that. Explain what aspects you agree with and what you disagree with, and, most importantly, justify yourself.

2) Research and give evidence. Of course evidence is not always needed, but if you say "so and so people die because of this," make sure you've got your facts right and say where you got this information from.

3) Remember to be civil and polite. Take into consideration that these are other people's opinions and beliefs you are arguing about, so be careful. However, also remember that debates can get heated and that you musn't be too sensitive to some of the comments.

4) We already have a rule about typing in proper English. Please keep this in mind as it is especially hard to read long, complicated debating posts when there is no grammar nor any paragraphing.

5) Try and read the last two pages to make sure you don't simply repeat what someone else has said previously.

These are just guidelines and are extremely flexible; however, if things start to get out of hand then we will have to start enforcing them.

Please do not feel intimidated by these guidelines. We want to make the Debating Forum as enjoyable a place as possible and we want to hear your views. As long as you read these, your debates should be fine.
Silly little foul black twisted heart I am!
http://superkits.tumblr.com

Griffar
Commander
Real First Name: Alex
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Griffar

Re: Debating Guidelines PLEASE READ.

Postby Griffar » Sun May 10, 2009 12:16 pm

These rules seem fair. It will make the debates more interesting with people researching about their views. Good on Xephia for putting this idea out there.

I know you love one hundreds and thousands

Your Tears don't fall, they crash aroud me

Her conscience calls, the guilty to come home

gotta love Bullet For My Valentine

cezen
Elf

Postby cezen » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:29 pm

I claim second post in this thread (*-* )
Truth is: Texas sucks.

How is Gunny feeling on First Earth?

Voldy
Here's my card.
Here's my card.

Postby Voldy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:09 pm

Um, that's considered spam, cezen. Please don't post if you do not have anything contributory or relevant to say. You've been here long enough to know that XD

cezen
Elf

Postby cezen » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:13 am

lol

Man, I knew I should have snuck in some relevant sentences first. ('-' )

Ontopic: I agree with the one about backing up your claims with sources.
Unless you say something like "I think" and basically give off the fact that there's uncertainty, if you state something as a fact - you must have a citation, because people's opinions can be flawed by error and misinterpretation.
We're more likely to believe a scholarly article or website.
Truth is: Texas sucks.

How is Gunny feeling on First Earth?

Return to “The Debate Forum”