Dress Codes in Public School

Friendly, spirited debates please people! Keep it clean.

Do you think there should be a dress code in public schools?

Yes
27%
No
55%
I don't care, I'm out of school!!!
18%

Total votes: 22

Ry 2009 GuY
Goblin

Dress Codes in Public School

Postby Ry 2009 GuY » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:06 pm

I don't think there should be any. My principal, and basically the entire school board is thinking of putting a dress code on the school. Once I know if they are or not, I'll let you know, but until then, tell me what you think.
"He who smiles when everything goes wrong has thought of someone to blame it on"

Luna_Wolf_Norway
Elf
Real First Name: Malin

Re: Dress Codes in Public School

Postby Luna_Wolf_Norway » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:11 pm

I don't really know what it's like, cause we don't have uniforms or dress codes in Norway, but I've always pictured it to be kinda fun... :laughing: And then children can't get picked on or bullied for what they wear either. No pressure to buy expensive clothes.
Everybody lies. (Dr. House)

History is rarely made by reasonable men.(Zedd)

Stay back human. You don't know what you're dealing with.(Holly)

Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real? (Dumbledore.) R.I.P.

Lime Yay
Ten o' clock

Postby Lime Yay » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:12 am

Luna_Wolf_Norway wrote:I don't really know what it's like, cause we don't have uniforms or dress codes in Norway, but I've always pictured it to be kinda fun... :laughing: And then children can't get picked on or bullied for what they wear either. No pressure to buy expensive clothes.

I don't think dress codes prevent kids from being picked on for what they wear, or lessen the pressure to have expensive clothes. For uniforms, maybe, but not dress codes. Dress codes make sure that girls don't dress too scantily, basically. In my school, we're also not allowed hats, not really sure why that really matters. And I think we're banned from wearing sleepwear and coats. Coats so as to not to hide a weapon, people say, but we're allowed to carry around our backpacks, so if you really wanted to bring a weapon, put it in there. Sleepwear, just because they want us to look somewhat decent, I guess. People still break the dress code, not many enforce it.

Dress code for public school? In junior high, they wouldn't let us wear flip flops, so sometimes it seems like a hassle if it's too strict. But in high school, the dress code's basically like, "don't be half naked" and that really doesn't hinder you, unless you're trying to sell your body for money, in which case, it's probably for the best. So, it depends on the severity of the dress code, I think. It's not gonna kill you either way, though.

!Lime Yay
Thanks to Diana for the sweetest (erm... sourest?) signature ever!

Luna_Wolf_Norway
Elf

Postby Luna_Wolf_Norway » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:31 pm

I see your point, but really, why wear a hat inside? No one needs to wear a hat inside. And if you allow hats, you must allow hijabs as well. Not that I have anything against hijabs, I really don't, I just don't think they have anything to do in schools, since they are a religiouse symbole you know. And wearing a hat inside is just not, oh what's the english word for it, I don't know, common, not sence, but I'm using it in lack of a better word. :laughing: And when it's comes to the whole weapon thing, there's an easy solution to that you know. BAN THEM!!!!

Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real? (Dumbledore.) R.I.P.

sharkie
Crazy Cat Lady
Crazy Cat Lady

Postby sharkie » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:34 pm

Eh if you ban hijabs then you have to ban crucifixes and etc as well. They don't cause any problems? So why complain.

I'm in the UK and I go to a school with a 'dress code' but no real uniform, it has one it's just not worn. It's basically black and white. Me, I think that as long as we're not a private school there is no reason for anything else. But see if there were no private schools, then I'd want a really strict uniform because I think wearing uniform makes you feel unified and professional.

Like when we went somewhere we wore our proper uniform (white shirt and tie) and even then we felt like a unit. And the foreign schools, which had next to no uniform, were actually jealous of us.

However I think it's either really strict uniform, or no uniform at all. But I will admit, the dress code helps because we don't spend half the morning deciding what to wear.
*TEETH KNASH* The yellow ducks shall eat your socks in the nighttime
Took Jangrafess out my sig, clearly he doesn't appreciate old respect when he's pulling stunts like that
Raped your sig to tell you, that yes it is! ~AG
Who cares. - Someone

I want to verb your noun

POKEMON BEASTIALITY PWNS ALL (yes, that was me - Jangra)

SORREH, Niki, teal is my color. ^_^ *rape* BOLD FTW. - Voldylicious
i thought you needed new rape from me and i like this color so *rapes* (:
oohhh kittyyy, she's so orgasmically amazing. *rapes*

Lime Yay
Ten o' clock

Postby Lime Yay » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:33 am

Luna_Wolf_Norway wrote: And if you allow hats, you must allow hijabs as well. Not that I have anything against hijabs, I really don't, I just don't think they have anything to do in schools, since they are a religiouse symbole you know.

Oh, we allow that, though. :P Hijabs, turbans; if it's for religious reasons anything goes. Like gym is required for everyone, our school isn't too bad about it, but other schools make you do a swim test to graduate. We don't do that, but swimming is a major component for both required segments of gym. But my friend didn't have to do any of the swimming; bathing suits are against her religion.

Only private schools have uniforms here. I'm not sure about uniforms, though. Because if you wear pants and like a polo, then you'll look ugly, but if you wear a skirt uniform... well, you have to wear a skirt, which isn't bad, except it hinders you. Like, you can't climb trees :(.

My marching band had uniforms (of course), but we looked really sweet. We were over 230 people, all wearing the same hat (hair was hidden underneath), same jacket, same pants, same shoes. We were intimidating :P.

~Lime YAy
Thanks to Diana for the sweetest (erm... sourest?) signature ever!

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles
Real First Name: Katarina

Postby Kitsy » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:38 pm

What do you count as "Public School"? Because a "Public School" is a private school in England. But we all have uniforms anyway (well, I think we all do anyway) so even though I went to a state school I wore a uniform right up until I started college last autumn. And I like uniforms; they're not amazingly attractive and sometimes I hated them, but they serve their purpose and you don't have to be worrying "What if I wear this and look stupid?" They may not get rid of bullying, but they definetly do limit it in some ways.

And then when I got to college, I got to buy loads of new clothes as there was no uniform, so y'know, worked out okay for me xD
Silly little foul black twisted heart I am!
http://superkits.tumblr.com

Luna_Wolf_Norway
Elf

Postby Luna_Wolf_Norway » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:04 pm

But I don't think that crucifixes should be allowed either, just like praying in schools. It's not a religiouse place, it's a place for science. And children in Norway are allowed to wear whatever they want in the schools, but I think that this could lead to bulling because you don't have the newest outfits, and I think that a lot of parents will force their children to wear a hjijab in school. I'm not saying everyone, but some might, and if children gets bullied for that I don't think it's worth it. I say go school uniforms.

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles

Postby Kitsy » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:46 pm

Luna_Wolf_Norway wrote:But I don't think that crucifixes should be allowed either, just like praying in schools. It's not a religiouse place, it's a place for science. And children in Norway are allowed to wear whatever they want in the schools, but I think that this could lead to bulling because you don't have the newest outfits, and I think that a lot of parents will force their children to wear a hjijab in school. I'm not saying everyone, but some might, and if children gets bullied for that I don't think it's worth it. I say go school uniforms.

I'm actually quite astounded. You don't think praying should be allowed in school? What about students who have to pray five times a day (not sure what the exact number is), do they just have to abandon their religion because their school is unsympathetic. A library isn't a religious place, neither is the street or the local pub or the gym, does that mean you can't wear hjijabs or crucifixes? Religion is an important part in people's lives and they should be able to express that or follow it's rules, especially when it comes to something as trivial as clothing or symbols.

And you can't just say "alot of parents will force their children to wear a hjijab at school." I see that you said not everyone would, but even what you said was a broad statement. Yes, there will be cases where students will wish that they didn't have to wear it, but does that mean you have to forbid all manners of religious items.

After all, aren't we all supposed to be tolorent of peoples' beliefs, not trying to suppress them?

nindra
Council Member

Postby nindra » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:25 pm

Define "dress code" and how strict it would be. If it just follows plain common sense "as long as you're not naked...", I'm fine. I like uniquity, I want a chance to be able to spot an awesome t-shirt* that'll make my day when it seems that the day will just plain suck otherwise. Uniforms = Kids won't be able to show the world who they are, what they like, where they've been to... I want to warn people that I might blow something up or that I'm part of a street gang. :P Voted no, and AFAIK no school in Finland has "real" dress code/uniform.
Also, I've been told that there's cheap uniforms and more expensive uniforms, so it wouldn't fix "you're poor, haha"-bullying.

* it's a bunny YAWNING "why I must be so tired? It's not faaair."
æ

sharkie
Crazy Cat Lady
Crazy Cat Lady

Postby sharkie » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:43 pm

I've only come across bitching about someone wearing too expensive clothes in my expieriance. Here, and not in posh or private schools, you boast if you get a bargain. Like someone says "I love your top" a common reply is "It was £4!"

Because making cheap clothes look nice is an art. Maybe it would be different in private schools, but Scotland is one of those countries where people are embarrassed to spend money.
*TEETH KNASH* The yellow ducks shall eat your socks in the nighttime
Took Jangrafess out my sig, clearly he doesn't appreciate old respect when he's pulling stunts like that
Raped your sig to tell you, that yes it is! ~AG
Who cares. - Someone

I want to verb your noun

POKEMON BEASTIALITY PWNS ALL (yes, that was me - Jangra)

SORREH, Niki, teal is my color. ^_^ *rape* BOLD FTW. - Voldylicious
i thought you needed new rape from me and i like this color so *rapes* (:
oohhh kittyyy, she's so orgasmically amazing. *rapes*

Luna_Wolf_Norway
Elf

Postby Luna_Wolf_Norway » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:01 pm

No, I really don't think religion has anything to do in schools. It's a place of science and facts. You wouldn't bring christianity in to a budist temple, nor play football in the library, and you would not bring the evoultion theory into the church. "Don't pray in my school, and I won't think in your church." Seriously though, I don't have anything against religiouse people, if they belive, I respect that, just as they, hopefully, respect that I don't. But the schools are for science and facts, and the church, etc, is for faith. Children can learn about religions in schools of course, but that should be it.

Griffar
Commander
Real First Name: Alex
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Griffar

Postby Griffar » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:09 am

At my school, we have a strict uniform. we have to wear blue socks(for guys-the girls wear white or blue, with a teal strip aross the ankle), the girls aren't alowed undershirts of any colour other than white... same with the guys... and can't have insignia of any kind... WE wear truosers all year round... our hats are ok... we wear a tie all year... we have to have our top button done up all the time... although most teachers miss it... Oh and we have only had one muftty day ever in the history of our school. And our headmaster won't do it again.

I can see a good side to it. Mainly it keeps the school mostly bully free, when we go out, we do look smart in our uniform... and all that. Not a lot of us like the uniform, but there are worse ones.

Oh and our school is private just so the strictness of the dress code is clear. So yeh, a lot of us would like a muftty day once a year or something, andd we always have to give a gold coin... that they say is going to charity... i wander how we managed to get one basketball hoop and not another...

There are good and bad sides to having a dress code... If there is one... we all look the same, and not like dorks. At my primary school, we all wore the same hats... big flat brimmed bush hats. We all looked the same and couldn't tease people about what hat they had... in my high school, they give us three options... a broad brimmed hat, a baseball cap, and a bucket hat. Most kids get the baseball cap, but i used to have a bucket hat, and whenever i put it on people snickered. That was until i found a cap... so yeh, there are good things and bad things.

EDIT:I didn't make a selection to the poll,, because there was no in between option if you get my meaning

I know you love one hundreds and thousands

Your Tears don't fall, they crash aroud me

Her conscience calls, the guilty to come home

gotta love Bullet For My Valentine

cam_LEP_girl
Goblin
Real First Name: Camilla

Postby cam_LEP_girl » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:31 pm

What's the point of having a dress code? I think wearing what they want makes people's mood.
Commander Julius Root's fan -you'll never die in my mind!
ImageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles

Postby Kitsy » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:38 pm

Luna_Wolf_Norway wrote:No, I really don't think religion has anything to do in schools. It's a place of science and facts. You wouldn't bring christianity in to a budist temple, nor play football in the library, and you would not bring the evoultion theory into the church. "Don't pray in my school, and I won't think in your church." Seriously though, I don't have anything against religiouse people, if they belive, I respect that, just as they, hopefully, respect that I don't. But the schools are for science and facts, and the church, etc, is for faith. Children can learn about religions in schools of course, but that should be it.

But it's not "your" school, it's everyones' school so therefore everyone should be entitled to represent their beliefs on their person. In certain religions, you have to wear a headscarf, so should they be forced to take that off just because you decide they don't have a place in a school.
The reason you wouldn't play football in the library, or bring christianity into a budist temple (unsure what you mean as to "bring christianity in", like christian images etc?) is because it effects other people. Playing football in a library would damage the books and disturb the people working there. Wearing a hjijab doesn't affect anyone else, neither does wearing a crucifix.

School isn't necessarily just for "science and facts." School is also for opinions and learning new skills, thinking over new ideas and broadening your understanding of the world. You learn about religion in school - you obviously don't count that as science or facts. Theology, philosophy, even to some degrees English and History. Yes, there are facts but there are also opinions and beliefs. That last paragraph doesn't really have much to do with the topic of religious dresswear, but it's just to show that school isn't limited to that.

There is absolutely no reason as to why someone should not wear a hjijab (am I spelling that right?) or a crucifix or whatever else represents their religion in school. It doesn't affect anyone else and is part of their religion. You may say that you respect their beliefs, but by forcing them to not wear something that they believe is part of their religion is not showing respect. Also, "Don't pray in my school, and I won't think in your church." No one's forcing you to go into their church, but they have to go to school. They don't have a choice in that, unless they want to go to a religious school which are often expensive or maybe isn't the environment they want to learn in/

Return to “The Debate Forum”