Dress Codes in Public School

Friendly, spirited debates please people! Keep it clean.

Do you think there should be a dress code in public schools?

Yes
27%
No
55%
I don't care, I'm out of school!!!
18%

Total votes: 22

Winter
Pixie

Re: Dress Codes in Public School

Postby Winter » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:56 am

At the high school I attended we had a dress code and, while it wasn't very strict, I think it was a good thing to have. It was pretty simple - no strapless tops, no overly revealing clothes, no offensive slogans on tshirts or bags, etc. But I got away with wearing dog collars, chains, dozens of belts, leather, even ball gowns and fairy costumes to school. I know people that dressed just as extreme, dying their hair hot green or yellow or coming school some days dressed as clowns. I had hot pink hair at one stage. We were the only high school in the region without a uniform, so we wanted to make the most of it. (Nearly every high school in NZ has a uniform)

Those sorts of things didn't effect other people, they were just a bit of fun. But shirts with sacrilegious messages or slogans supporting drugs can be found offensive. Translucent clothes showing off bras, or cropped tops showing off a lot of skin can distract people from learning. I support dress codes if they're not ridiculously strict and ban the things that can be harmful to others and their learning.
"I write, therefor I am"

Image Image
DeviantART | Twitter | Before I Die
(A/H fanfic)

lethe_naiad
The Splendiferous
The Splendiferous
Real First Name: Lauren

Postby lethe_naiad » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:58 pm

Every school in Australia has a school uniform, and since I went to a private school it was strictly enforced (eg. you couldn't even wear jewellery, hairstyles had to be approved etc). Personally, it made everything so much easier. It forces people to look at who you really are, not what you project yourself to be. It was a whole lot easier to get dressed in the mornings too.

We did have occaisonal mufti days. We'd occaisonally have a fundraiser with a gold coin donation for no uniforms, or something like an athletics carnival, where we'd all dress to a theme. In my final year, we'd be allowed to wear mufti for exams, but by then we were concentrated on the exams themselves, and just dressed for comfort. We all did our HSC trials in pyjama pants and ugg boots.

They did have basic dress rules, which I thought were appropriate.No short skirts, no spaghetti straps, no bared midriffs (or, as my principal put it "the bottom of your top must reach the top of your bottoms" in her little Irish nun accent), and no thongs (which was actually pretty handy, because otherwise everybody's identica brown Haivanas would get confused when we took our shoes off in class, which we did a lot). The offensive slogan thing was never mentioned, it was just common sense.

Of course, in Australia you get a year 12 jersey in your final year, which you'd customise with a nickname. They were always fun.

Another important bit about school uniforms in Australia is that they always include a hat - they're compulsory all year round in primary school ("no hat no play") and in summer in high school. That's just because of the scarily high rates of skin cancer in my country, and very effective ad campaigns.

I'll have to wear normal clothes at uni, but at uni it's perfectly acceptable to wear my usual witty slogan shirts and jeans, so I'll be fine.

Spoiler:
School uniform:
The third girl is wearing a year 12 jersey.

This is making me nostalgic about high school. I miss it so much, I had so much fun. I miss the firends that I made, and my favourite teachers. I miss the gazillion stairs that were at my school, and I miss going to the park for lunch. I miss sailing and swimming in the river, and I even miss sweltering in summer in a kilt looking longingly at Sydney harbour. *sniff*
ImageImageImageImageImage

evil pixie
Sprite

Postby evil pixie » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:02 pm

It depends on what the dress code is.

Me, I have something against uniforms. I don't see the point in them. and also I'm a big fan of jeans and that's not really your typical uniform.

The dress codes in my school are basically just preventing you from showing cleavege which I am perfectly comfortable with.

Some schools, however were really strict. I once went to a school where girls could only have long hair if you tied it up in public ( that drives me crazy ) and how long your nails have to be and no jewelry of any kind. I don't really get the point of it.
I like the word evil. Scramble it a little, and you get vile and live. Good on the other hand, is just a command to go do.-Jodi Picoult, The Tenth Circle

A monkey glances up and sees a banana, and that's as far as he looks. A visionary looks up and sees the moon.-Victor Vigney

---98% of teenagers do or have tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.---

holly11short
Gremlin
Real First Name: Kate

Postby holly11short » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:48 am

At my school we have a dress code and it stinks! Only solid color polo shirts, blue, black, grey, brown or khaki pants or skirts, no shorts, no jeans, no hats, clean shaven (which i don't really have to worry about, seeing as I'm a girl lol), no distracting hair or jewelry, all backs on shoes (which i don't really mind), coats have to be solid color or for school spirit. I hate it so much. Of course I understand if it was something sensible, like no cleavage, no short skirts, nothing revealing, yadda yadda. Or even if it was a legit uniform, that way it would just be a set thing provided by the school. But this is just a lame in-between. We have to wear IDs at my school too, which I don't really mind too much now, but I used to. I just think that dress code (other than the obvious sensible stuff) doesn't help anyone and just gives people an excuse to break another school rule. I can't really see anyone being bullied for what they wear, and I think school clothes can be rather uncomfortable and distracting.
"That's what happens when you're a genius." The centaur smiled. "Look, I scraped an F for Foaly!"

The daruma doll fell o...
Spoiler:
VER!!!!

Hufflepuffs are great finders!
What the h*** is a Hufflepuff?

bluealice
Sprite
Real First Name: Alsacia

Postby bluealice » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:08 pm

I think there should be... 'cause there won't be any uniformity... but not necessarily a "uniform" maybe color coding... Blue shirt and jeans and any footwear for 1st year highschools, Red for 2nd yr... etc... so that non-conservative dresses will be avoided (leads to rapings, or early pregnancy) and there is a formality and decency.. not making schools as public malls or fashion runway etc...
ZZZ

levina
Commander

Postby levina » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:24 am

:)

Athena32
Goblin
AFC Fan Fiction Name: MyshiCorp

Postby Athena32 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:31 pm

I think dress codes are a good thing, when applied loosely. Like keeping kids from coming to school in their underwear. I could live with not having to see girls in see through shirts. Plus, when kids get a job, they have to realize there is a certain way to dress. A crop top is okay for a model, but not for a criminal justice lawyer at a trial.
I'm fine, seeing as you asked.-Foaly
Gnommish… Gnommish… What blasted translation system doesn’t have Gnommish?

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Axxonu

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:47 pm

I had a dress code in junior high similar to holly11short, where you had to wear a polo shirt (either navy blue, white, or khaki) and I think jeans. I think the arguments I heard at the time in favor of a dress code were mainly that it created a more professional atmosphere more conducive to learning (I'm pretty sure they didn't use the word professional, but I can't remember what terms they used now...), it prevented the development of a socially stratified environment, where it was obvious who had money and who didn't (people couldn't wear expensive designer clothes), and there were probably some other arguments I'm not remembering.

I remember at the time feeling against it on principle (I felt like people's personal expression was being suppressed), but honestly I'm not someone who cares all that much about what I wear then or now, so looking back it probably wasn't a big deal for me, and made it so I didn't have to think about what I was going to wear. For my high school, there wasn't a dress code like that (we could wear what we liked), besides the usual code about girls wearing shirts too low or skirts too high and so on.

Overall, I feel that my experience in junior high was of a much more constrictive, judgmental atmosphere than that at my high school. (My junior high was widely regarded as a 'good' junior high, whereas the high school I went to was considered 'west side' and ghetto.) As a result, I have a lot more negative associations with my time in junior high than in high school. At my junior high, teachers would stand outside classroom between classes trying to catch people who didn't make it in before the bell. I remember one time in particular, where I went to class (there were about five minutes between classes), and I really needed to use the restroom, but I knew that particular teacher had placed a ban on using the hall pass because so many students had been abusing it, disappearing for half an hour at a time. I spoke briefly with the teacher, and she looked sympathetic, but she couldn't make exceptions because that would cause problems (I don't remember if she actually said that, but I probably understood that without her saying it), so she just told me to run for it. For some reason, the restroom closest to the classroom was out of order (or maybe I just didn't know where it was at that time), and so I had to run to the other end of the school. I raced back, and I was literally about two yards from the door when the bell rang. One of the people standing guard yelled out threw out his yard stick to block me from getting in, because everyone who didn't make it class on time was always written some kind of citation. I was close to tears. In the end the teacher came out and rescued me, so I didn't get written up, but I remember being shaken and upset for a lot of the class after that, because I was a shy, sensitive student who never got into trouble.

So, I guess even though I understand why my junior high was that strict (students were horrible, honestly, and the hall pass was only one example of how they wantonly abused the rules), and maybe junior highs are just typically stricter than high school because that's a worse age for students getting into trouble, junior high holds memories of a feeling of oppression more than high school because of those stricter rules. In high school, I felt like I was in control, and I was a much better, more actively engaged student, with a much better self esteem, but in junior high, experiences such as that hall duty above who literally jumped in my way with a yard stick and yelled “Hey!” in a tone that made it clear I was as much a delinquent in his mind as the students who regularly ditch classes on purpose or wander about the halls, often had me feeling depressed and anxious.

So, given that experience, it wasn't really the dress code itself that created that atmosphere for me, rather it was a symptom of the school's stricter attitude. Strict is usually seen as better, but my experience was that strict also created situations that victimized the well behaved students who did want to follow the rules and do well.

*Edit: Although, again, perhaps that's just how junior highs typically are, because of the age range...(My sister had the opposite experience in the sense that she went to a junior high that was considered 'ghetto,' and didn't have a dress code, and her high school was considered a nicer, more well-funded school, but she had the same experience of feeling a bit like she was in prison in junior high, whereas in high school things were more lax.)
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [Post TAC]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28912232/Artemis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

Return to “The Debate Forum”