Infinity

Friendly, spirited debates please people! Keep it clean.
Dontmovethefilesevil
Pixie
Real First Name: Does not exist
Location: Somewhere shooting 47 Avada Kadavra's at someone, also known as an AK-47.

Infinity

Postby Dontmovethefilesevil » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:57 am

I want to know what you think of infinity. I think that infinity is any number at least one more than the number of quarks found in the entire universe.
Last edited by Dontmovethefilesevil on Sat May 01, 2010 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.



Muahahahaha I am the evil ruler of the universe and will KILL you


"Do you know how many legs are on that stool, Arty? Three. Only three and that's not a good number for you. Not at all. Three is nearly as bad as four and we all know what four sounds like in Chinese, don't we?"The Atlantis Complex


GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.


cezen
Elf

Re: Infinity- your opinion

Postby cezen » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:39 am

I think infinity is the amount of leprechauns that exist in our human society.
Truth is: Texas sucks.

How is Gunny feeling on First Earth?

Lime Yay
Ten o' clock

Postby Lime Yay » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:59 am

LOL this isn't even kind of a debate. This isn't even intelligent conversation. The square? Or the Offtopic forum?

What do I think of infinity? When I was a little kid it used to scare me. I remember my little brother, as a toddler, crying because he didn't want to go to heaven. He couldn't comprehend infinity. It was too long, too scary, too daunting.

Now I just sort of ignore it. I don't try to imagine it in any physical way because it's not possible. I apply it in math, I understand it for what it is. But I can't imagine it. If I could, then I would be kidding myself.

!Lime
Thanks to Diana for the sweetest (erm... sourest?) signature ever!

sketchedoutfigure
Tunnel Blue Spider
Real First Name: uh,goodquestion
AFC Fan Fiction Name: darklysketchedupfigu
Location: in the back of your mind, luaghing at all the junk!

Postby sketchedoutfigure » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:11 pm

Lime Yay wrote:LOL this isn't even kind of a debate. This isn't even intelligent conversation. The square? Or the Offtopic forum?

What do I think of infinity? When I was a little kid it used to scare me. I remember my little brother, as a toddler, crying because he didn't want to go to heaven. He couldn't comprehend infinity. It was too long, too scary, too daunting.

Now I just sort of ignore it. I don't try to imagine it in any physical way because it's not possible. I apply it in math, I understand it for what it is. But I can't imagine it. If I could, then I would be kidding myself.

!Lime

i think that what he meant by "i don't wanna go to heaven!" was that he didn't want to die! I mean, sure, big or even slightly complex things freak little kids out, but really?
No, I think not...besides, your all genetically inferior to me,either way you circumvent the situation!
PREtEen INgeNiusNEsS!

http://stupidprodigy.spaces.live.com

crystal_clear
but you can call me Awesome
Real First Name: O rlly nao?

Postby crystal_clear » Sat May 01, 2010 12:46 am

sketchedoutfigure wrote:
Lime Yay wrote:LOL this isn't even kind of a debate. This isn't even intelligent conversation. The square? Or the Offtopic forum?

!Lime

i think that what he meant by "i don't wanna go to heaven!" was that he didn't want to die! I mean, sure, big or even slightly complex things freak little kids out, but really?

No, I think she meant infinity/eternity, because I was afraid of the exact same thing when I was younger. It's not that I didn't want to die (it's not that I did want to die, that's just not what I was afraid of), I just didn't want to exist forever. I used to keep myself up at night thinking about it. I'm glad to hear that someone else had the same problem as a kid and I'm not the only weird one.

In this case I think Limey is right. I don't think there is a possible way to imagine the number infinity. I just think of it as mind bogglingly big and leave it at that.
Facebook: Stealing every aspect of your daily life and using it in our plan to dominate the world through mind control and hamster wheels since 2006.

JetDragon1656
Mud Man
Real First Name: Stephanie

Re: Infinity

Postby JetDragon1656 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:27 am

For the word infinity i think about outer space as in blackholes and wormholes lol
"There are no endings in life, just new beginnings."-Flavia
"Never try to tell someone everything you know...you might find out that it takes to short of a time."-teacher
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."-Abraham Lincoln
"If I were you then you'd be me and if I were you I would hide somewhere far away."-Artemis Fowl

ImageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

Parrot
Mud Man

Postby Parrot » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:55 pm

I doubt infinity actually exists in our dimesion except theoreticly, but it is an interesting concept.
┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐

Fallon
Sprite
Location: i am probably having the time of my life. or sleeping.

Postby Fallon » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:45 am

I guess I believe the universe goes on forever.. But the thought sort of scares me. I mean, how can something go on for ever?
I sat down and tried to write a story.

"Ian MacArthur is a wonderful sweet fellow who wears glasses and peers out of them with delight."

That was the first sentence. The problem was that I just couldn't think of the next one. After cleaning my room three times, I decided to leave Ian alone for a while because I was starting to get mad at him.

-The Perks Of Being A Wallflower

The story of my life ^^^

Merv Simestra
Council Member
Real First Name: Meg
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Merv Simetra

Postby Merv Simestra » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:53 am

I believe infinity is like eternity. It's something going on forever without end. The thought of something being eternal or infinite does scare me, but only because I'm used to thinking of things as finite or having an end.

According to my religion (and most religions), our souls will go on to live forever in the afterlife. But because we've gotten used to the idea of time and things being finite, we become unnerved when thinking about eternity and infinity.

I'm probably over-analyzing this, but that's my opinion about infinity and why we get nervous when thinking about it. :)
"On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God."
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble."

Procrastinator and Obsessive are my middle names.

Spoiler:
Voted Eternity Awards 2013 winner of...
Favorite Moderator/Administrator
Best Journal Writer
The Sensible One
Most Likely to Run for President
Most Devoted to AFC
and Always in the Know.
Again with the president thing.

Shameless plug: visit my website!.

Pandora Hearts, the most epic manga to have existed. 2006--2015

Fallon
Sprite
Location: i am probably having the time of my life. or sleeping.

Postby Fallon » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:24 am

Oops hehe I thought youz guys were talking about the universe and stuff. But with afterlife
I do believe in it. It's part of my religion.
I sat down and tried to write a story.

"Ian MacArthur is a wonderful sweet fellow who wears glasses and peers out of them with delight."

That was the first sentence. The problem was that I just couldn't think of the next one. After cleaning my room three times, I decided to leave Ian alone for a while because I was starting to get mad at him.

-The Perks Of Being A Wallflower

The story of my life ^^^

levina
Commander

Postby levina » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:03 am

Everything that we've seen, or will see, has an end. I don't see why our existences should be any different.

I don't believe in infinity or the afterlife.

Athena32
Goblin
AFC Fan Fiction Name: MyshiCorp

Postby Athena32 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:07 am

Parrot wrote:I doubt infinity actually exists in our dimesion except theoreticly, but it is an interesting concept.

If you accept astrophysical theories like singularities to be true, than a black hole's center has infinite density. That hasn't been proved, but is taken to be correct. Therefore, infinity does exist in this reality.

After reading Artemis' science report in AFF, I thought about this and came to the conclusion that there may be an answer, but we don't posses the technology to find it.
I'll have to do some research on this, because its an interesting topic.
I'm fine, seeing as you asked.-Foaly
Gnommish… Gnommish… What blasted translation system doesn’t have Gnommish?

Return to “The Debate Forum”