Homework- Is it the most useful form of learning??

Friendly, spirited debates please people! Keep it clean.

Is homework a usefull form of learning.

Yes, It's very usefull
62%
No, It is not needed.
38%

Total votes: 37

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Axxonu

Re: Homework- Is it the most useful form of learning??

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:50 pm

It's pretty much already been said here, but I think the key to whether it is really beneficial or not is finding a good balance on what amout to give, and what difficulty level it should be at.

Homework can teach us responsibility and discipline, and gradually ease us into having the greater discipline we will need to have as an adult (as lethe_naiad pointed out). It also reinforces the material learned in school, which ordinarily would probably be forgotten as soon as the student left class. When you get into college especially and have reading homework, that reading I've found helps me really engage with a subject more as I am spending more time thinking about it than I normally would.

However, I have a problem with the mentality of 'children will just watch TV and not manage their time properly, so we should force them to make better use of it by giving them more homework.' Not that anyone here has been arguing this, but it's one I've heard thrown out there before, so I just want to comment on it.

The thing is, many children will already have interests of their own and be eager to learn - schooling on subjects they don't care about is there to make them well-rounded, but many will naturally seek out new information in other areas in the activities they do for fun in their free time. Science experiments, reading, writing their own stories, drawing, even playing video games - those could all be preparing them for the career path they will eventually follow.

So basically, I think homework is a very effective form of learning, but I believe the most effective form is when a child willingly pursues a subject he/she is interested in for fun. (but obviously that can't be duplicated in school as a sure thing for all students for every subject). I think homework may be the most effective form of learning for school, but if homework is trumped up as the only kind of learning that matters and the child is given too much, its effectiveness goes down as it limits the child's opportunity to pursue what they are really interested in. For instance, I strongly disagree with the heavy homeowork burden placed on students in certain countries, such as Korea (or at least, that's what I've heard).

For example, I am an art (drawing/painting) major and the time I've spent drawing as a child and trying to get better at it has really helped me get beneficial experience to prepare me for that. The hours upon hours I spent writing fanfiction for fun I believe also helped make writing much easier for me, and so that later helped me make better/more clear essays for school.

But when I had a lot of homework (especially in eleventh and twelfth grade), I basically shut down working on my own projects, and my free time was spent watching TV and trying to relax. So for me, a reasonable amount of homework fires me up (especially when it does not involve long term papers or projects), but too much, even a little too much, and I lose my motivation to do anything outside that.

*edit: augh, why do my stupid posts always come out too long? >:F
Last edited by Rocket Axxonu on Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tenzen12
Pixie

Postby Tenzen12 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:04 pm

I think any kind of learnig or practising is good for these who are able take it seriously.
Spot light steeling squad
Spoiler:
Criminal: Who are you guys!?
Tiger: You mean us? We're-
Blue Rose:We're the heroes of this town! [Steps on criminals face] My name is Blue Rose. We keep the peace in Sternbild at all times!
Tiger: ...What she said.
—Tiger and Bunny

Wolverine: Stay on topic, bub! This movie's about me!
Rorschach: Weren't all the X-Men movies about you?
— I'm A Marvel... And I'm A DC: Wolverine and Watchmen

Heroic Blue screen of Death
Spoiler:
Artemis: I don't like lollipops...

Venkman: Ray has gone bye-bye, Egon... what've you got left?
Egon: Sorry, Venkman, I'm terrified beyond the capacity for rational thought.
—Ghostbusters

Antonio: Hey, Blue Rose, help us out!
Karina(Blue Rose): Daughter... Wife... Haha. Hahaha... *eye twitch*
Antonio: It's no use! We broke her!
—Tiger and Bunny (get know her crush better... he is widower, though)

bentj96
Ruler of the People
Real First Name: Steven
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Dark Star

Postby bentj96 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:59 pm

Tenzen12 wrote:I think any kind of learnig or practising is good for these who are able take it seriously.

It is true, but that's not the point of this thread. Homework may be useful, but is it the most useful? That's what we're trying to answer here. In the end, I think a balanced mix of going to school, participating in online activities and homework is the best. Going to school maximizes your ability to interact with other people in a class-based format. It also allows you to talk with the teacher freely and learn from other students. Learning parts of the course online may help some. They can absorb information from the net, while having some range of freedom to talk with the teacher. Ultimately, that is how the world works. Your work is mostly independent while having access to information on the internet and still having contact with peers and superiors. Homework on the other hand, is entirely independent. You work alone on an assigned task alone, with nobody to tell you what to do. This exercises your ability to work by yourself and build self-discipline.

I believe that homework is not the most useful form of learning. In fact, it is one of the worst form of learning. I think that there is no such thing as the most useful form of learning since learning doesn't only involve independence. There are certain ways to learn certain things, and this thread isn't specific enough for a specific answer so I'll leave it at that.
Also known as Dark Star.

---98% of teenagers do or have tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.---

I WON the game.

Glow sticks glow when snapped. Why can't my leg?

"How? She gonna blink Morse code?" -Amaury Nolasco (Prison Break: The Final Break)

http://www.fanfiction.net/~lorddarkstar

Tenzen12
Pixie

Postby Tenzen12 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:23 pm

Oh ok. In that case I would say it would be most useful form if it was used for leting studen't apply knowledge and develop own strong point. In that case it would be. But if I hear such sentence somewhere I am rather annoyed and tend not belive they (institution) are realy able do it. I am pessimist in these alternative thing, but if it worked it would be most useful form.

Is this answer better than before?
Spot light steeling squad
Spoiler:
Criminal: Who are you guys!?
Tiger: You mean us? We're-
Blue Rose:We're the heroes of this town! [Steps on criminals face] My name is Blue Rose. We keep the peace in Sternbild at all times!
Tiger: ...What she said.
—Tiger and Bunny

Wolverine: Stay on topic, bub! This movie's about me!
Rorschach: Weren't all the X-Men movies about you?
— I'm A Marvel... And I'm A DC: Wolverine and Watchmen

Heroic Blue screen of Death
Spoiler:
Artemis: I don't like lollipops...

Venkman: Ray has gone bye-bye, Egon... what've you got left?
Egon: Sorry, Venkman, I'm terrified beyond the capacity for rational thought.
—Ghostbusters

Antonio: Hey, Blue Rose, help us out!
Karina(Blue Rose): Daughter... Wife... Haha. Hahaha... *eye twitch*
Antonio: It's no use! We broke her!
—Tiger and Bunny (get know her crush better... he is widower, though)

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Axxonu

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:56 pm

Yeah, now that you mention it... it's true that homework may not be the most effective form of learning. But the thing is, one can give lots of reasons for saying why it's not effective, but if someone is going to put that forth, they also have to provide a *more* effective method to replace it. Many teaching methods would work if the students were motivated to do their best (as you mentioned earlier Tenzen), but the goal of teachers is to try something new and hope that to get students who aren't normally interested involved as well.

The best method of learning then is probably a healthy mixture of several different methods, homework only being one (probably indispensible) method among many. It doesn't even have to be a lot, at least at the earlier age levels. It's hard to say whether homework in *the* most effective form of learning, but the fact that it takes self-motivation to do it most of the time, and self-motivation probably *is* the greatest key to learning, means that I would call homework a very necessary part of school learning. It doesn't just teach you stuff, it teaches how to learn.
Last edited by Rocket Axxonu on Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Multiverse
Elf

Postby Multiverse » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:26 pm

Hands-on initiative is far more informative (and easier to remember) than homework, but that doesn´t make homework unneeded. Homework has a purpose, but should never replace all other learning forms.

-Multiverse

JetDragon1656
Mud Man
Real First Name: Stephanie

Postby JetDragon1656 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:19 pm

i only think its useful if you first understand how the heck to do it in the first place lol. i hate teachers who just hand out work without teaching how to do it
"There are no endings in life, just new beginnings."-Flavia
"Never try to tell someone everything you know...you might find out that it takes to short of a time."-teacher
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."-Abraham Lincoln
"If I were you then you'd be me and if I were you I would hide somewhere far away."-Artemis Fowl

ImageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

cezen
Elf

Postby cezen » Thu May 17, 2012 7:32 pm

My Latin 102 teacher always assigned translations as homework. But, never checked them or went over all of them. She'd start like a week before the test, and only go over like two pages out of the 10 she assigned.

As a result, I stopped doing the work. I stopped learning the material. And basically didn't learn the language.... unlike my previous Latin teacher who actually assigned homework, checked over it in class, and called you to answer questions in front of the whole class. I actually learned then.

I'm not sure if Homework is the most useful form, but if you're lazy like me, homework is the only thing stemming the tides of laziness from overtaking you.

(Probably still got a B+ in the class though =], we'll see)
Truth is: Texas sucks.

How is Gunny feeling on First Earth?

AF Lover
Truly Devoted Fan
Real First Name: Lucy

Postby AF Lover » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:37 am

No to HW! I have wasted too many nights working on the exact same thing we did in class! Ugg!

La Souris Bleue
Tunnel Blue Spider
Real First Name: Alice

Postby La Souris Bleue » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:07 pm

I left high school last September because of personal reasons, and since then I'm working at home. Personally, I think it suits me better ; in class I used to be bored and wish lessons could go faster, and at home I can have my own rythm of work. But I think that this matter should be taken more seriously by governments ; I don't know how it works exactly in other countries but in France the school system is very harsh with pupils, and if you listen to the teachers you don't really have alternatives : you go to high school and college, otherwise you're doomed to make coffee and live on the street for the rest of your life. When I first mentionned that I wished I could work at home, my teachers reacted like if I told them I was going to become a stripper on Mars, and they kept saying that this is the worst solution ever, that teens who work at home always are lonely and depressive and all kind of floral-patterned bedsheet like that. But that's not true at all ! Working at home is just like all kind of things, including going to school 'normally' : it's not meant for everyone. Some might think it's too hard for them, while others like me just can't go to high school and feel better managing their studies by themselves. In France (I don't want to expand my judgment on other countries since I'm not sure how things work and are elsewhere), this alternative to school is nearly a taboo, and is too often perceived as a bad thing while a lot of students become depressive because of high school and all its stress, awful people and pushing-over-the-limits methods. Of course, I know I've had a bad experience of school, and that a lot of kids and teens are happy to be in school, but actually that's my point : all youngsters should be happy to study, and sometimes that means getting to learn things in a different way than going to school.

I'm sorry I wrote so much about this, and went a little bit off topic there ; but this subject really touches me and I had to let it g... no well no I just wanted to write about it :lick: I hope I was able to make myself understandable for once ^^''
''T'es juste assez intelligent pour te rendre compte que tu l'es pas assez ; c'est déjà pas si mal.''

~ J'aimerais pas crever un dimanche

Athena32
Goblin
AFC Fan Fiction Name: MyshiCorp

Postby Athena32 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:08 pm

I think that homework can be a good thing, but at the same time, I would like it better if it were tailored to what I don't get, instead of what the curriculum writers think I won't get. I hate math homework but love math. I really don't like how they give you problems that are so easy, and then ask you to explain them in a couple different ways, for every problem. If we could have personalized homework based on the problems we get wrong regularly, then the homework would be positive.
I'm fine, seeing as you asked.-Foaly
Gnommish… Gnommish… What blasted translation system doesn’t have Gnommish?

Return to “The Debate Forum”