Slapping/spanking your child

Friendly, spirited debates please people! Keep it clean.

Do you believe that "spanking" is positive?

Yes
21%
Yes if it is rare and gentle
47%
Yes so the children can learn and be boosted
No votes
No
16%
No, I'm against any forms of abuse
5%
No, some go overboard and kids get injured or scared
11%

Total votes: 19

Mere Reflection
Special Agent of Mr. Shiny

Slapping/spanking your child

Postby Mere Reflection » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:25 am

We were discussing in the "Anything" thread about child "control" so to speak. Not necessarily even anything that would hurt, just teaching a lesson. Are you strongly for, or against, or unsure?

Have you ever been 'spanked'? Do you think it was fair, or did you think it was more along the lines of child abuse? I want to hear your views.
Thanks to Cat Moon & Raineesun for helping me do this XD
Always forgive your enemies - Nothing annoys them so much.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Evening news is where they begin with 'good evening' then proceed to tell you why it isn't.
Always remember you are utterly unique. Just like everyone else.
Why are you still reading this?
Nothing is impossible, yet everything is a lie. Fishies! :D
A/H forever

FoalysGirl
The Techie

Re: Slapping/spanking your child

Postby FoalysGirl » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:56 pm

Well, there's spanking a child, a light tap, to reinforce the child not to do, whatever they were doing again. According to Psychologists, that's called positive punishments, physical actions to say: "That's bad." Which I find to be a good thing. As long as it's gentle. Like a small tap on the hand.

Then there's spanking, where it's all the time and it's harsh. That's physical abuse. Which I can't stand.
"Edwin, what's the plural for Ox?"
"Oxen. The farmer used his oxen."
"Brian,"
"What?"
"What's the plural for box?"
"Boxen! I bought two boxen of doughnuts."

---Brain's stupid in school comedy skit

"I'm the dude, playing the dude, disguised as another dude." ----Tropic Thunder

"Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock." ------ Buffy season 6

"He was like....Napoleon!" ---Me

Natalya666
Cave Troll
Real First Name: Nithya
Location: Not here at all. That's why you can't see me. You just keep hearing a disembodied voice.

Postby Natalya666 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:56 am

I don't think abuse is really necessary in the upbringing of a child. Firmness should be present, to avoid spoiling of the child, but I really don't think spanking is necessary. Being an Asian, I have seen my fair share of child abuse, even in public. Recently, a Singaporean woman was arrested for making her teenage daughter do squats for an hour in public, until a passerby called the police.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not. - Mark Twain
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar. - unknown

Purple_Enigma
Pixie

Postby Purple_Enigma » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:11 am

Yes it is necessary, because a child needs to be reprimanded for his/her wrongdoings. When parents are too gentle it makes the child pampered but harsh and unnecessary spanking is terrible and can have long-term repercussions on the child's psyche.
Rare and gentle spankings when necessary are fine, in my opinion.
TAC
Spoiler:
'I must go,Butler,' said Artemis firmly.'My mind is eating me alive.I think the guilt is the main problem.I must do whatever I can to atone.'
'And?' said Butler,unconvinced.
Artemis held his arms out so that Foaly could drape the suit sleeves over them.
'And I will not be beaten by that jackass.'
'Jackass?'said Foaly,wounded.‘My favourite uncle is a jackass.'

From here
Spoiler:
If asked in class what the Avada Kedavra curse does, yelling "It does DEATH!" may be correct but is not the manner in which one should answer.
The proper way to report to Professor McGonagall is "You wanted to see me, Professor?" Not "I have it on good authority that you have no evidence."
I will not tell the Ravenclaws that they're basically useless because Hogwarts' smartest student is in another house.
I will not conjure up lemons and say-Life hath given thou LEMONS!

EA 2011 - The Member who is Always in the Know :D :D

Lime Yay
Ten o' clock

Postby Lime Yay » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:08 am

I think that, in general, spanking should not be used. Studies have shown that positive reinforcement is a lot better than negative reinforcement. However, that being said, sometimes you can't afford to wait for the learning process, and you can't explain something to a child that they can understand. Like going into the street. Running into a street is dangerous for a kid, but they don't really know what death is, they don't understand the impact of being hit by a car. You can't afford to take chances on your kid wandering into the street. And that's when spanking is acceptable. Cuz that little kid needs to know NOW that going into the street is VERY BAD and they can never do it again.

~Lime Yay
Thanks to Diana for the sweetest (erm... sourest?) signature ever!

IzzyTehMuse
Applied Phlebotinum
Applied Phlebotinum

Postby IzzyTehMuse » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:55 pm

I'll just say that as a recipient of spanking...it was never abuse in my case. It was never an emotional slap to stop us from doing anything. It was always very calm and very fair. Parents only used it in cases of overt, direct disobedience (I only remember being spanked a handful of times) or lying. They always explained why I was being spanked and were firm in reassuring me that they loved me and in no way wanted to harm me. One swat per year of age, a follow up explanation to ensure that we understood what all was going on and then many hugs. So it wasn't some random "bat bat AWWW I LOVE YOU HUGGLES" which I think can be very confusing and damaging to the child.

And I am annoyed that people are implying that using spanking means that positive reinforcement is ruled out. Not so in our case. Heck, in addition to positive reinforcement, I also got long lectures from my mother explaining why certain things were wrong and whatnot-- to the point where I would be just like: Just spank me and get it over with.

So...no long term damage here. I think it can be exercised with discipline and restraint. There is a point where children just cannot be reasoned with (like limey's example of running into the street-- there's no time), and as the child grows in age then reasoning takes a role as they are able to comprehend it. It also introduces the idea of consequences very early on, and in a very tangible way. Consequences are a very real part of life and I think children need to get accustomed to that idea.

Izzy
"Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all of those things—trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones[." - Puddleglum, The Silver Chair

"I have had to believe a great deal in God because I have lost my belief in men." -Elias, Noli Me Tangere

"The price of freedom is learning to coexist with that which you hate." -- My
cousin.
*rapes* I love you, Izzy. :P

vita nuova
Gremlin
Real First Name: Sofia
AFC Fan Fiction Name: vita nuova

Postby vita nuova » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:57 pm

Yes, I do think that a light slap on the hand or a gentle spank to tell the child that they're wrong, but some go too overboad. When an adult gets too angry and just takes all the rage out on the child, that may be child abuse. All they learn is to fear the adult, and when the adult wants respect, all they get is fear, but never respect.

~ :shiny: Mr. Shiney has spoken
[right]"Why don't we look for some magic stones that can grant wishes? Or, if that doesn't work, you could search my naked body for some mysterious birthmark that means I am actually the prince of somewhere or other." ~ Orion Fowl.

"Huurk." ~Artemis Fowl

"Artemis simpletoon." ~ Myles Fowl

Artemis: Of course. Thinking is my responsibility, not yours. I'm the mastermind here. Holly: Was that an insult, Mud Boy?

Tyrison
Ty(rosine)
Real First Name: Mary
Location: Preferably in a good book, AFC, writing fanfic, or working on my novel. ^_^

Postby Tyrison » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:07 am

As someone who got spanked quite a lot(I wasn't a brat...well, sometimes...heh) I would say that spanking being good or bad really depends on how it is used. I was spanked a lot, yes, but never for unfair reasons. Also, both before and after spanking, my parents explained why, let me know they still loved me, that they didn't hate me, etc... Sure, it hurt for a little while, but I was never permanently damaged. I think it's kind of funny that the butt is one of the few places where you can get hit hard and not hurt for a really long time...*speculation*

However, I would draw the line there. I think it's important to let a child know why they're being spanked, and they need to know that they're still loved as well. If a spanking is just given, to a child it doesn't really make sense. They were punished, and they may not know why, and it'll just become a negative memory. The whole point is not so much to hurt the child as to reinforce the memory. Pain teaches someone not to do a wrong thing twice. It's one of those survival things...and really, what punishment we get as kids is so much more lax than what we'd get as adults. I'm glad that I've grown up with spanking, because I learned from it. I'd really much rather have a little pain in my childhood then have learned that I can get away with things and end up in jail. It's so incredibly important to shape a child in a correct way, and a loving way. In all my life, even as a child, I never doubted that my parents had good reason for punishing me, though I did hate it. :P

The whole problem is that there are parents who don't use punishment(and therefore spanking) correctly. I'm not a parent, but even I can tell when spankings are used wrongly. Sure, it's up to the parent, and you'll never see me correcting a parent(I'm 16 for heaven's sake) but there's a fine line between abuse and positive reinforcement. It really comes down to whether a parent is dealing out punishment through anger or through love. It makes a world of difference...

I love this...in school, a lot of us juniors and seniors were debating spanking...and it was a really interesting conversation.
The quandary of Autumn's child
I'm not sure if falling leaves
are merely butterflies that
have died or photographs
we don't remember taking.

GUS'S DISCIPLES OF SEMI-SEXY, TAKING OVER THE WORLD!
Official Secret AFC Agent 008 ~ Since whenever

But this morning, there's a calm I can't explain; The rock candy's melted, only diamonds now remain...

Lightbulb621
Orangeylicious Queen

Postby Lightbulb621 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:40 am

Tyrison wrote:The whole problem is that there are parents who don't use punishment(and therefore spanking) correctly. I'm not a parent, but even I can tell when spankings are used wrongly. Sure, it's up to the parent, and you'll never see me correcting a parent(I'm 16 for heaven's sake) but there's a fine line between abuse and positive reinforcement. It really comes down to whether a parent is dealing out punishment through anger or through love. It makes a world of difference...

I completely completely agree with this.

In the poll I picked "No, some go overboard and kids get injured or scared". I definitely agree with the second choice too. From personal experience, I know what is the difference. I know that a lot of people don't get 'abused' by their parents and such, so they don't know what's it like. Going through those kinds of things mentally scar me. It's a scary experience and I've dealt with that for years and years and years. But I feel like I'd be a bad person to just blame my parents about everything, because I guess, it's not completely true. Yes, most of the hitting they do is out of anger, stress, etc. and they don't realize it, but we need to take into consideration the upbringing of them too. My parents are Asian-born--born in Taiwan. The lifestyle there compared to here is very different. School and obedience are probably the two most important things that go on over there. Also take into consideration the time period. They were teenagers 20-30 years ago and times have changed. What I'm trying to say is that their upbringing affects how they treat me now, even if they don't realize it. They've never lived in the States when they were young, so they don't know how children here are brought up. So yeah, I think the main reason why some parents go as far as 'abuse' because of their childhood/upbringing.
Gus Revolution
I heart my giant orange plushie and fluffy orange doggy. AG&Tyrie<3
Member of the Obnoxious Teenagers Club.
Official Secret AFC Agent
twitter outline behance

NerdGurl
Gremlin
Real First Name: Kaeli
AFC Fan Fiction Name: NerdGurl

Postby NerdGurl » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:14 pm

There are six children in my family. Spankings were are common punishment, but only if we were guilty of the crime. There were two kinds of spanks in my family: mom spanks and dad spanks. But neither were very harsh and it did not happen very often.
I think spankings are an important part of parenting. But not abusive spanking. One should only be spanked if they were guilty.

Athena32
Goblin
AFC Fan Fiction Name: MyshiCorp

Postby Athena32 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:00 pm

I feel like nowadays adults punish kids to lightly, and there is a lot of respect missing. Part of respect is a bit of fear, so without the touch of fear, kids don't really pay attention. I was stuck in a class where the teacher didn't punish, and I felt like screaming sometimes. If the teacher had been able to spank occasionally, it would have been much, much better. Spanking is a good thing, used in moderation.
I'm fine, seeing as you asked.-Foaly
Gnommish… Gnommish… What blasted translation system doesn’t have Gnommish?

Return to “The Debate Forum”