Global Warming

Friendly, spirited debates please people! Keep it clean.
hyunjoonglovie
Elf
Real First Name: Jess :P

Global Warming

Postby hyunjoonglovie » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:12 am

Do you think it is real, or a myth..

Personally I think that the amount of CO2 pollution humans are currently letting loose in the atmosphere definitely is having an impact on the Earth's health, but not for the typical reasons.

For example, I read somewhere recently that the Earth's balance is veryyyyy fragile, in that the Earth is able to handle it's own pollution (eg volcanic eruptions) just fine; the effects are countered by the ocean, as the water absorbs alot of the pollution.

For example: It was something like the Earth releases 100000tonnes of green house gases each year. Then the ocean absorbs 100000tonnes of green house gases each year, thus countering the effects. Then humans come along and release a further 20000tonnes of green house gases per year and this upsets the balance.

My point being that although we are releasing lots of CO2 into the atmosphere, this is not the reason the Earth is in meltdown. The reason is simply because the Earth cant handle the extra load.

Anyway what do you think? Is Global Warming real? Is it a threat? Can we prevent it?
We all have a dark side...

Spoiler:
That awkward moment when someone says "hi" to you, and you reply with "I'm good"... -_-

That shite moment in an argument when you realise you are wrong...

That awesome moment when the teacher asks you a question, thinking you weren't being attentive. Then you answer it right, it's like "What now! WIN!!!"

That depressing moment when your mum scribbles on the award your school gave you in congratulations for all your hard work, just to get her stupid pen to work D':

But you love me XD

opalkoboi
Heiki Koboi
Real First Name: Phoebe
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Heiki Koboi

Re: Global Warming

Postby opalkoboi » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:31 pm

I believe we are having a definate affect on the planet, however the Earth, every 13 years, moves closer or further away from the sun - we are currently in a close to the sun period, which is due to end it 2012. And the Earth's temperture fulcuates anyway. Also, did you know Global warming could spark the next ice-age? If the ice caps melted, the resulting water would cut off the heat current (I forget the name) running along down the west of britain (in between wales and Ireland ect). This current provides 60% of britains natural heat. Similar things would happen all over the globe sending us into an ice-age which we are well over-due anyway.

However, we can't be doomed because if we cut CO2 exmissions by 2020 the ice caps WILL grow back and everything will be fine.

I reckon we cannot know for sure until after 2012, when the Earth moves away from the sun. Then we will see how much is natural, and how much is us.
I see you too! XD

OneFourFive
Swear Toad

Postby OneFourFive » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:23 pm

The thing is, it's not really up for debate whether or not global warming is real. It's actually generally accepted as scientific fact, and the idea that it's only a theory and there's a chance we haven't impacted on the environment is itself a myth, if that makes any sense.

But, even if it was a myth, I don't understand how there's still people who can be like "Well, we're not completely screwing up the earth's climate, so I'm perfectly fine with continuing to pump toxic gases into the atmosphere." Surely taking precautions against global warming can only be a good thing, so why do people keep debating it?

I'm not trying to be a b!tch about your topic, haha, I think it's good, I'm just adding my opinion. :)

hyunjoonglovie
Elf
Real First Name: Jess :P

Postby hyunjoonglovie » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:55 am

Hey no problem, I was just curious as to what people thought about this matter. Also in regards to what opalkoboi said, yeah I've heard that G.W will eventually make the Earth go into an iceage. Something about how the atmosphere will get so polluted that the gases will block out sunlight thus making the Earth freeze. I cant remember whose theory that was though XD
We all have a dark side...

Spoiler:
That awkward moment when someone says "hi" to you, and you reply with "I'm good"... -_-

That shite moment in an argument when you realise you are wrong...

That awesome moment when the teacher asks you a question, thinking you weren't being attentive. Then you answer it right, it's like "What now! WIN!!!"

That depressing moment when your mum scribbles on the award your school gave you in congratulations for all your hard work, just to get her stupid pen to work D':

But you love me XD

Tenzen12
Pixie

Postby Tenzen12 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:42 pm

Global Warming is real, there were times which were warmer and times which were colder. Earth climate is everychanging. From global point of view it is not big deal, for some local spieces it can be though and other Ice age would change livestyle mankind as well.

Real question is how much of global warming is natural and how much is "thanks" to us humans. And thats it. I don't think that GW would stop maybe slow down but not stop by human be more nature friendly (IMO I don't have enough scientific professional knowledge to claim it to be true). But people have potentional change climate intentionaly and there were some experiments on changin weather it in some countries. One of possibility you can also see in AF AC :laughing:
Last edited by Tenzen12 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spot light steeling squad
Spoiler:
Criminal: Who are you guys!?
Tiger: You mean us? We're-
Blue Rose:We're the heroes of this town! [Steps on criminals face] My name is Blue Rose. We keep the peace in Sternbild at all times!
Tiger: ...What she said.
—Tiger and Bunny

Wolverine: Stay on topic, bub! This movie's about me!
Rorschach: Weren't all the X-Men movies about you?
— I'm A Marvel... And I'm A DC: Wolverine and Watchmen

Heroic Blue screen of Death
Spoiler:
Artemis: I don't like lollipops...

Venkman: Ray has gone bye-bye, Egon... what've you got left?
Egon: Sorry, Venkman, I'm terrified beyond the capacity for rational thought.
—Ghostbusters

Antonio: Hey, Blue Rose, help us out!
Karina(Blue Rose): Daughter... Wife... Haha. Hahaha... *eye twitch*
Antonio: It's no use! We broke her!
—Tiger and Bunny (get know her crush better... he is widower, though)

Multiverse
Elf

Postby Multiverse » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:51 pm

Global Warming is definitely a real, serious matter, and quite frankly I find it ridiculous to think otherwise - no offense, of course, to those who might happen to do so. Nowadays there´s far too much hard evidence for anyone to be in doubt once they´ve got themselves into the stuff, however difficult it is to face a scary truth.

What scares me most about the GW is the heightened risk of cancer (and Heiki, I´m sorry to mention the subject - if you don´t want me to bring it up, just let me know, and I´ll edit it out of the post).
My personal experience about it goes as far as to that my grandfather had it. He had his right arm amputated when I was at a very young age, and lived for a couple of years after that, but eventually the disease caught up with him.

A thought that occured to me at some indecidable point during these past three days is that while I´ve always known I´d be more sensitive to the UV (because of my pale skin and red hair), I never actually considered that the GW might not be considered enough of a threat until enough people have died by that definite reason - and most likely, these will be the pale people. Imagine, the final effect of Global Warming might be the extinction of redheads. Sad, in my opinion, but then again, what else could I possibly have any reason to think?

-Multiverse

Tenzen12
Pixie

Postby Tenzen12 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:32 pm

It is serious thing with your grandfather, but you mixed two different issues. What you talking about is a hole in the ozone layer caused by freons in atmosphere while humans contribution on GW is caused by greenhouse gases mainly CO2. Global warming isn't related it at all. But you have right that hole in the ozone layer is real big problem caused by industrial polution
Spoiler:
Blue Rose:We're the heroes of this town! [Steps on criminals face] My name is Blue Rose. We keep the peace in Sternbild at all times!
—Tiger and Bunny

Spoiler:

—Ghostbusters

Multiverse
Elf

Postby Multiverse » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:53 pm

Tenzen12 wrote:It is serious thing with your grandfather, but you mixed two different issues. What you talking about is a hole in the ozone layer caused by freons in atmosphere while humans contribution on GW is caused by greenhouse gases mainly CO2. Global warming isn't related it at all. But you have right that hole in the ozone layer is real big problem caused by industrial polution

I´m not certain I understand... have I got this right: The holes in the ozone layer aren´t caused by the CO2 made by humans? I was under the impression that these holes would allow UV radiation to reach Earth, therefore heightening the risks of getting cancer.
I´m aware that my grandfather didn´t get cancer because of the UV, but doesn´t the radiation make it much more likely to happen?

-Multiverse

Tenzen12
Pixie

Postby Tenzen12 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:26 pm

Yeah ozone layer isn't damaged by CO2 but Freons, while CO2 is from cars and industry (and from forests and fires and vulcans). Freons are gasses used (formely) in sprays and fridges (as coolant).

Freons destroy O3 (ozon) by binding on it and create some oxides. Like that hole happen and on earth surface recieve more UV.

CO2 doing opposite, they create layer in atmosphere which is something like greenhouse but without glass just with CO2. Just like if you were next to window it doesn't hurt you (not much).

does it make sense to you now?

and yes this hole allow to UV reach surface and yes it can cause cancer. But Freons are prohibited several decade already and there is just few countries which use it by now. Though this hole still remain
Spoiler:
—Tiger and Bunny

Spoiler:

—Ghostbusters

Tenzen12
Pixie

Postby Tenzen12 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:51 am

What is this supposed be? commercial?
Spoiler:
—Tiger and Bunny

Spoiler:

—Ghostbusters

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles
Real First Name: Katarina

Postby Kitsy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:17 am

It was a spambot, I deleted it so no worries. Debate away.
Silly little foul black twisted heart I am!
http://superkits.tumblr.com

Stellaluna
Pixie

Postby Stellaluna » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:24 pm

I don't see how there can be any debate on WHETHER global warming is occurring. Most data says it is; even though the earth naturally goes through warm and cool cycles and fluctuations, the warming isn't the problem. It's the rate that it's occurring at that really worries me - most organisms can't adapt to such a rapid, drastic change in their environment. We could pretty much be in the middle of a mass extinction event right now.

It's not just carbon dioxide, either - humans let out a lot of pollutants through their activities. The earth naturally has feedback loops for stabilizing imbalances in temperature and such but I'm pretty sure if we continue at this rate it'll just become a runaway problem.

Frondish17
Pixie
Real First Name: Liv
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Frondish17

Postby Frondish17 » Mon May 02, 2011 5:34 am

Do you know that approximately 90% of the scientists interviewed have given a concensus against the theory of global warming?

Do you know that while President Obama traveled to Switzerland to give a speech on the subject of global warming, the largest snowfall in the past few years occurred there?

Do you know that it has been steadily growing colder each winter here in the US?

Do you know that scientists have now changed the name from "global warming" to "climate change"?

[/center]
Them, we liked

Stellaluna
Pixie

Postby Stellaluna » Tue May 03, 2011 2:30 am

Frondish17 - you're right, it isn't just global warming. It's climate change - hot areas are getting hotter, sea levels might rise, more extreme temperatures are spreading, etc. Just because it's growing colder doesn't mean it's not occurring on a longer timescale, though. And well, a fair number of people are worried that this period of warming is the precursor to another ice age.

90% of what scientists? What was the sample size? Was it part of a sponsored study? I find that first statement hard to believe. Most of the scientists in my field I'm currently studying in (biology/environmental science) are all concerned about the effects of rapid, drastic changes, especially when lots of wildlife have no place to go.

Sorry if it's a bit incoherent and the arguments are flimsy; I had a busy weekend and I just lost my cell phone, probably for good. I'm a tad tired.

evilopalrocks!
Heavenly Huntress
Real First Name: Eden

Postby evilopalrocks! » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:18 pm

even if ther isnt global warming and all the talk about climate change is non-sense, you cant argue that pollution doesent kill animals directly......... (gettin cought in nets, choking on cans ect.)
noone can claim tha takin down rainforests doesent bother the living creatures... :eyeroll:
Hi people.
I have something very important to tell you.
But now I forgot what it was.
Maybe I'll remember later. who knows.
If I will, I'll be sure to write it. So..... Yeah.
Dismissed. Carry on.

Return to “The Debate Forum”