"OMG" and "LOL" enter The Oxford English Dictionary

Friendly, spirited debates please people! Keep it clean.

Do you think this is a good idea?

Yes.
30%
No.
57%
Don't care/mind.
13%

Total votes: 30

AF Lover
Truly Devoted Fan
Real First Name: Lucy

Re: "OMG" and "LOL" enter The Oxford English Dictionary

Postby AF Lover » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:41 am

I guess that could be a good thing. What if someone thinks LOL is slang for lollipops? :)

FadingLight
Mud Man

Postby FadingLight » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:46 pm

I think it's a good thing. I mean, the dictionary's to tell you what things mean, not whether or not you should use them in your homework, or whether or not they're silly. There are probably plenty of other words you shouldn't use in your homework that are in the dictionary. Also, on encouraging "gradual illiteracy"—language changes, and it would be nice to understand, and so many people use those abbreviations anyways, so what difference does putting them in the dictionary make? It won't hurt anyone to put OMG and LOL in the dictionary, and it'll probably help some confused person who's just gotten a text message that has them in abundance.

To AF: Then Artemis would say, "I don't like LOL's," before scolding himself for using slang.
I said you were smart, Mud Boy. I was wrong; are exceptional.—Qwan
Which do you think seems more suspicious? An alien-looking craft hovering in the yard of a country home, or a floating doorway with a centaur standing in it?—Domovoi Butler
We can only change the future, not the past or present.—Artemis Fowl II
I'm trying to care, Artemis. But I thought it was all supposed to be over when the fat lady sings. Well, she's singing, but it doesn't appear to be over.—Holly Short

Athena32
Goblin
AFC Fan Fiction Name: MyshiCorp

Postby Athena32 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:01 pm

I voted no, because I really don't like it when kids use text language, especially while talking. I feel like if they want to have a conversation, they may as well talk in complete sentences. To me, saying BRB while talking to someone is the same thing as saying "be right back". They both have the same number of syllables. I also feel like if a kid talks and writes in text language, they will have to reset themselves when they get a job. A lawyer can't send LOL texts/emails to clients!
Putting text language in the dictionary is officially making it a word, where it is truly just a abbreviation.
I'm fine, seeing as you asked.-Foaly
Gnommish… Gnommish… What blasted translation system doesn’t have Gnommish?

Return to “The Debate Forum”