report cards- do you belive in them?

Friendly, spirited debates please people! Keep it clean.
lethe_naiad
The Splendiferous
The Splendiferous
Real First Name: Lauren

Re: report cards- do you belive in them?

Postby lethe_naiad » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:05 am

Well that seems fair enough. When I was in high school we had student reports once a term. They didn't grade us or give us percentage marks, though. Instead they had a table of outcomes, with a tick indicating how well the outcome had been achieved. When I sat my Higher School Certificate (two years of tests that determine your university placing) our rank in the class was included, since that is vital in the HSC.

Like it or not, all academic work is evaluated through a grading system. It's how my university acceptance was received, it's how my university evaluates me for my transcript, and if my weighted average mark drops below a certain level I get kicked out of my advanced program. It's how the university will determine my postgraduate career and it's also how your assessed for graduate roles in the workforce.

When I applied for several mining companies for summer work each company required a copy of my academic transcript and my marks for each subject taken. It matters in real life, so what's wrong with using the format in high schools?
ImageImageImageImageImage

cezen
Elf

Postby cezen » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:56 pm

I don't think there's any real arguments against using report cards. Maybe if the O.P. explained her views more indepth.
I still find this thread ridiculous.
Truth is: Texas sucks.

How is Gunny feeling on First Earth?

opalkoboi
Heiki Koboi
Real First Name: Phoebe
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Heiki Koboi

Postby opalkoboi » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:36 pm

cezen wrote:I don't think there's any real arguments against using report cards. Maybe if the O.P. explained her views more indepth.

Then why bother posting on it, especially just to insult it. Don't you have something better to do?!
I see you too! XD

Lime Yay
Ten o' clock

Postby Lime Yay » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:15 am

lethe_naiad wrote: It's how the university will determine my postgraduate career

What? The university picks out your career? Can you explain this?

Anyway, I heard grades are ridiculously subjective (apparently, even in subjects like math). But whatever, you learn to work the system anyway. People have to find some way of judging ability and they do what they can.

So, the OP does have a point in that regard. But honestly, I believe in report cards in IQs enough to get a gist of a person's ability.
Thanks to Diana for the sweetest (erm... sourest?) signature ever!

cezen
Elf

Postby cezen » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:27 am

opalkoboi wrote:
cezen wrote:I don't think there's any real arguments against using report cards. Maybe if the O.P. explained her views more indepth.

Then why bother posting on it, especially just to insult it. Don't you have something better to do?!

Yo, your post isn't even slightly ontopic. I'm pretty sure Lethe at least implied we should be discussing the subject at hand.

If you have anymore [insert heavy emphasis]asinine[insert heavy emphasis] remarks to make - or questions to ask - that are offtopic, inbox them to me :]

lethe_naiad
The Splendiferous
The Splendiferous

Postby lethe_naiad » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:04 am

Lime Yay wrote:
lethe_naiad wrote: It's how the university will determine my postgraduate career

What? The university picks out your career? Can you explain this?

Anyway, I heard grades are ridiculously subjective (apparently, even in subjects like math). But whatever, you learn to work the system anyway. People have to find some way of judging ability and they do what they can.

So, the OP does have a point in that regard. But honestly, I believe in report cards in IQs enough to get a gist of a person's ability.

By 'postgraduage career' as opposed to 'graduate career' I mean the being accepted for an honours year (which is different to an honours year in the US, basically a mini-doctorate) and subsequent postgraduate degrees.

Opalkoboi, I already spoke to you about this. Anything not related to this topic doesn't go in this topic. Cut it out.

Lime Yay
Ten o' clock

Postby Lime Yay » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:06 pm

lethe_naiad wrote:By 'postgraduage career' as opposed to 'graduate career' I mean the being accepted for an honours year (which is different to an honours year in the US, basically a mini-doctorate) and subsequent postgraduate degrees.

Yes, because I don't think there is any such thing as an honors year in the US. I tried to google it, but still unsure what this is referring to. Can you elaborate again please?

_limey

lethe_naiad
The Splendiferous
The Splendiferous

Postby lethe_naiad » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:18 pm

It's an extra year of an undergraduate degree. My American exchange friend tells me that you do have it but it involves taking classes or something. Maybe it has a different name. She's from Michigan.

You do an honours year so that you graduate with a Bachelor of Science (Hons) instead of a Bachelor of Science. It's basically a year-long research project where you take a faculty supervisor, design a research project, seek funding from university/industry sources, spend a year researching the thing, and then write a thesis, which is usually published in an appropriate journal.
That's how it works in science, anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honours_de ... rn_Ireland

Lime Yay
Ten o' clock

Postby Lime Yay » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:17 am

I'm from Michigan. There's no such thing as an honors year. There's graduating with honors, and being in the honors college/program, but that's it. Being in an honors program/college has various requirements depending on the university. At my Uni, as an honors college member you have easy access to research opportunities, often set up with a professor to help them with research as an incoming freshman, but research is not required for membership. Membership is maintaining grades, and taking so many honors courses, which may just be an accelerated/in-depth class, a research class, or doing an extra project for a class. So yuck, nothing as intense as another year of undergrad (remember US unis are extraordinarily expensive).

About 20% of undergrads at my uni participate in research, but being published is quite rare.

The most similar thing I can think of is this special program where if you qualify you can get your masters in a year, so I guess that's the closest thing. Except with that you don't have to pay for school and you get another degree. I don't know if that's a common sort of program, though. And here, my MS program would require intense research and a few classes, but I think for other Masters programs you don't have to do research. Just depends on your major and your uni, I guess.

Interesting though, thanks for sharing.

Sorry for the off topic rambling :/

_lime yay

bluealice
Sprite
Real First Name: Alsacia

Postby bluealice » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:08 pm

Well, I think Report Cards are only exact, if your teacher is very Professional. which means, your grades depend 50-50 on the teachers. But if you get perfect scores, no doubt... you're really smart. That's why for me, I just need to gain high scores in my tests and exams... So I won't doubt my teachers because I know I did well. If ever confusions happen, I'll have to report it to a higher authority because report card is very important for my future.Real or unreal, I still have to consider it important.. I guess I have no choice..
ZZZ

cezen
Elf

Postby cezen » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:26 am

bluealice wrote:Well, I think Report Cards are only exact, if your teacher is very Professional. which means, your grades depend 50-50 on the teachers. But if you get perfect scores, no doubt... you're really smart. That's why for me, I just need to gain high scores in my tests and exams... So I won't doubt my teachers because I know I did well. If ever confusions happen, I'll have to report it to a higher authority because report card is very important for my future.Real or unreal, I still have to consider it important.. I guess I have no choice..

So I can cheat myself through everything, thus getting a perfect score, and that means I'm really smart?
Awesome!

bluealice
Sprite
Real First Name: Alsacia

Postby bluealice » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:40 pm

You don't get my point cezen. No cheating. You're not smart if that would happen.
Cheating didn't even cross my mind... once i said "Perfect Scores", oral recitation is included... seat works... etc... Once you grow up in cheating, You don't value one's hardships... and that's just bad. :(
Not smart... at all..
ZZZ

Return to “The Debate Forum”