report cards- do you belive in them?

Friendly, spirited debates please people! Keep it clean.
evilopalrocks!
Heavenly Huntress
Real First Name: Eden

report cards- do you belive in them?

Postby evilopalrocks! » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:25 pm

so, I got myne yesterday.... I've always thought its non-sense.... it just doesent truly reflect the student's grades, ability, behavior ect. .... plus, my teachers always like me during the school year but absolutly hate me when they write my report card... it doesent make sense....
so anyway, do you belive in report cards? or do you also think it's junk?
Hi people.
I have something very important to tell you.
But now I forgot what it was.
Maybe I'll remember later. who knows.
If I will, I'll be sure to write it. So..... Yeah.
Dismissed. Carry on.

opalkoboi
Heiki Koboi
Real First Name: Phoebe
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Heiki Koboi

Re: report cards- do you belive in them?

Postby opalkoboi » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:53 pm

I don't think it's crap, but so many mistakes are made on mine every time it annoys me to hell. I much prefer parent-teacher interviews, you get a much better reflection of what you're good at and what you're bad at.
I see you too! XD

cezen
Elf

Postby cezen » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:23 pm

O.P. (this means original poster), with your horrible spelling and the inane logic I gleamed from ".... plus, my teachers always like me during the school year but absolutly hate me when they write my report card... " - because how much a teacher likes you should really influence grades - I'm gonna guess you got all F's and the legendary Z?
Truth is: Texas sucks.

How is Gunny feeling on First Earth?

opalkoboi
Heiki Koboi

Postby opalkoboi » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:43 pm

cezen wrote:O.P. (this means original poster), with your horrible spelling and the inane logic I gleamed from ".... plus, my teachers always like me during the school year but absolutly hate me when they write my report card... " - because how much a teacher likes you should really influence grades - I'm gonna guess you got all F's and the legendary Z?

WTF is wrong with you?! Don't be so mean! Terrible spelling? Says the guy who said, "inane" and anyway, english isn't their first language I'm guessing by what they've said and the fact they're from isral, so back off. This is a debate, not where you insult someone. be respectful and if you have nothing valuble to say why bother posting? And for all you know they could be very intelligent, so don't judge and be mean.
I see you too! XD

evilopalrocks!
Heavenly Huntress

Postby evilopalrocks! » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:44 pm

actually no... I got good grades in most of the subjects I care about.... however, most people who read my report card do care about math for instence... I got F on that... its a worse grade than last report card although I've improved....
and about my spelling, I'm not really an english speaker (as in, from birth).... but I did get an A in english....

EDIT: and thank you opalkoboi!
beside, about the logic, I didnt mean 'like' as a person, I meant say stuff like:" I cant belive you are the only one to show up to class." "wow, your grades have improved much sinse the last report card was given" "you are the only student that actually listens in class..." ect.
Last edited by Kitsy on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Don't double post again please!
Hi people.
Dismissed. Carry on.

Antilles
Rolling Thunder
Real First Name: Mohammad

Postby Antilles » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:49 pm

opalkoboi wrote:WTF is wrong with you?! Don't be so mean! Terrible spelling? Says the guy who said, "inane" and anyway, english isn't their first language I'm guessing by what they've said and the fact they're from isral, so back off.

in·ane /iˈnān/
Adjective: Silly; stupid; not significant.

Also, Israel. Not "isral". People in glass houses should not throw stones, especially since Cezen spelled every word in his post correctly. I happen to agree with him anyway - people who come here complaining about report cards being "unfair" while butchering spelling and grammar in their posts aren't doing anything to help their arguments.
"oh sharkie is so evul" -sharkie
"Oh sure, ANTILLES gets love and hugs and confetti. What do I get? The halfway empty coffee carafe...and someone left the creamer out...it has lumps in it. I hate you all." -IzzyTehMuze
"OMGWOOT I COULD FEED 33 HUNGRY WEASELS" -Nick

evilopalrocks!
Heavenly Huntress

Postby evilopalrocks! » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:55 pm

I didnt write this to complain, I always thought report cards are stupid. it's just that getting my report card brought it up.... and maybe your school gives normal report cards, but my school had always given out stinking report cards....
Hi people.
Dismissed. Carry on.

opalkoboi
Heiki Koboi

Postby opalkoboi » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:57 pm

Antilles wrote:
opalkoboi wrote:WTF is wrong with you?! Don't be so mean! Terrible spelling? Says the guy who said, "inane" and anyway, english isn't their first language I'm guessing by what they've said and the fact they're from isral, so back off.

in·ane /iˈnān/
Adjective: Silly; stupid; not significant.

Also, Israel. Not "isral". People in glass houses should not throw stones, especially since Cezen spelled every word in his post correctly. I happen to agree with him anyway - people who come here complaining about report cards being "unfair" while butchering spelling and grammar in their posts aren't doing anything to help their arguments.

I thought he ment to put insane :blush:
Hey, you know I can't spell! :P
And anyway, I'm a bad speller and evilopalrocks doesn't speak english all that well, and it is a bit harsh for cenzen to say that, it would be easier if people just focused on the debate.
And I agree with you evilopalrocks, it's a valid debate subject. it's not a cliched debate like homosexuality ect it's something orginal, and should bring many opinions. :)
I see you too! XD

evilopalrocks!
Heavenly Huntress

Postby evilopalrocks! » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:59 pm

and again, thank you opalkoboi...... :>
Hi people.
Dismissed. Carry on.

cezen
Elf

Postby cezen » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:57 pm

opalkoboi wrote:
cezen wrote:O.P. (this means original poster), with your horrible spelling and the inane logic I gleamed from ".... plus, my teachers always like me during the school year but absolutly hate me when they write my report card... " - because how much a teacher likes you should really influence grades - I'm gonna guess you got all F's and the legendary Z?

WTF is wrong with you?! Don't be so mean! Terrible spelling? Says the guy who said, "inane" and anyway, english isn't their first language I'm guessing by what they've said and the fact they're from isral, so back off. This is a debate, not where you insult someone. be respectful and if you have nothing valuble to say why bother posting? And for all you know they could be very intelligent, so don't judge and be mean.

No thanks.

Evilopalrocks- Not being an english born speaker is a valid excuse, so I apologize for my comment about it.

Opalkoboi- You said something about this being a valid debate subject? Of course it is. :]

Report Cards, do I believe in them? Yeah. I believe they exist. Definitely. There's no doubt in my mind about it. Such an enlightening discussion!
/threadsolved

opalkoboi
Heiki Koboi

Postby opalkoboi » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:10 pm

@Cezen :eyeroll: Wow, your behavour amazes me. You're meant to be an adult. And anyway, you took believe literally on purpose to mock it, and you didn't state reasons why. That's not a debate. Before you insult other people, think about your own maturity.

And you're welcome evilopalrocks! :) (you need a nickname, have you got any that we could call you or am I gonna have to think one up for you and see if you like it?)
I see you too! XD

cezen
Elf

Postby cezen » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:48 am

Lol it's hard to take you seriously Opal.

opalkoboi
Heiki Koboi

Postby opalkoboi » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:11 am

cezen wrote:Lol it's hard to take you seriously Opal.

Tbh I'm ok with that, you're only saying that because you can't win the arguement and are just being a jerk. Sorry for being a nice person and using logic, but it isn't my fault you can't understand that.
I see you too! XD

lethe_naiad
The Splendiferous
The Splendiferous
Real First Name: Lauren

Postby lethe_naiad » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:17 am

Calm down, guys. Take this out of the forums and continue it in private if you need to.

I believe the original topic discussed was 'are report guides a good indicator of a student's performance?'

It's a very ethnocentric question. I don't know exactly what is in a report card. Could someone explain it?
ImageImageImageImageImage

cezen
Elf

Postby cezen » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:45 am

Lmao. I literally lold. Thanks for the amusing reply.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
On thread topic. Lethe, in the US report cards are these papers they give us in the US to show us our class grade at certain intervals of the school year. At least, they were for me. It was your score in a class based on how you did on quizzes, test, homework, ect.

Are they a measure of academic ability?
The fact that homework is generally done in private and can be cheated on - though the same goes for tests and quizzes though they're most likely harder to do it on - suggests that they're obviously not a clear measure. However, if one legitly does horrible on all of them, then that's a clear indicator that the person needs to put more effort.

Return to “The Debate Forum”