The hierarchy between plants, computer minds and humans.

Friendly, spirited debates please people! Keep it clean.
levina
Commander

Re: The hierarchy between plants, computer minds and humans.

Postby levina » Thu May 17, 2012 8:17 pm

Some organisms can definitely think - dolphins, chimpanzees, cats and dogs, for instance, are intelligent - but not plants. I've not heard of any way in which a plant thinks for itself. The screaming thing, well, that's interesting, but I doubt it's something that a plant thought up one day and decided to turn into a trend.

Back to souls. If we're to refer to a "soul" as what the title post set the meaning to -

Multi said:
That is what I´ll be referring to as 'soul' - a valid self-consciousness and the ability to fight our instincts and to wonder why things are as they are. To me, the soul is the 'Why?'

Then, according to Multi's definition of "soul," neither animals or plants have souls. Unfortunately.

cezen
Elf

Postby cezen » Thu May 17, 2012 8:41 pm

levina wrote:Some organisms can definitely think - dolphins, chimpanzees, cats and dogs, for instance, are intelligent - but not plants. I've not heard of any way in which a plant thinks for itself. The screaming thing, well, that's interesting, but I doubt it's something that a plant thought up one day and decided to turn into a trend.

Back to souls. If we're to refer to a "soul" as what the title post set the meaning to -

Multi said:
That is what I´ll be referring to as 'soul' - a valid self-consciousness and the ability to fight our instincts and to wonder why things are as they are. To me, the soul is the 'Why?'

Then, according to Multi's definition of "soul," neither animals or plants have souls. Unfortunately.

Yeah, but scientists believe that the plants aren't merely screaming as a reaction to pain. But as an alarm signal transmitted between individual plants to warn the other of danger.

Also, I'm confused by your definition of "intelligent". All animals that I know of communicate, and are therefore intelligent in a way. What is your standard level of intelligence that you're using to judge these plants and animals - and why can't you say a plant is intelligent but just to a lesser degree?

But yeah, according to Multi's definition, plants don't have souls. Though, animals can fight their instincts. Not sure if everyone agrees on that definition of soul though...
Truth is: Texas sucks.

How is Gunny feeling on First Earth?

levina
Commander

Postby levina » Thu May 17, 2012 8:55 pm

Well, then maybe we should discuss the definition of soul before we discuss whether animals or plants have them. =J

(Also: intelligence - communication, problem-solving, memory, creativity, etc. Agree or disagree? =))

cezen
Elf

Postby cezen » Thu May 17, 2012 9:03 pm

levina wrote:Well, then maybe we should discuss the definition of soul before we discuss whether animals or plants have them. =J

(Also: intelligence - communication, problem-solving, memory, creativity, etc. Agree or disagree? =))

We should, we should. I personally don't want to open that can of worms though lol
I'm not sure what I believe the soul consists of or its definition. Or my own ideas of it.

(I don't know. I believe those are all parts, possibly levels, of intelligence. But maybe communication is the first level. Or maybe something else. But I definitely think that creativity and problem-solving are two of the higher levels. You need higher level cognition for those)

cezen
Elf

Postby cezen » Fri May 25, 2012 3:30 pm

Return to “The Debate Forum”