The Quantum Debate

Friendly, spirited debates please people! Keep it clean.
Multiverse
Elf

The Quantum Debate

Postby Multiverse » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:01 pm

I figured there should be one. =)

So, personally I can´t help taking an interest in the seemingly crazy, but apparently actually quite sound, theories of Quantum Physics. I´m an amateur and nothing more on the subject, and a fan of what the popular culture makes it look like (here I´m talking mainly about Stephen Hawking's ideas - I mean, surely it can´t all be as interesting as the stuff he presents? I´m currently reading his Briefer History Of Time).

So if anyone happens to have a fair understanding of something - relativity, curved space, the Big Bang, wormholes, black holes, gravity and/or whatever else I may or may not be able to find in the Contents page of aforementioned book - and thinks themselves capable of explaining and discussing it simply enough for those of us who haven´t quite grasped it yet, I for one would be very grateful to hear. ^_^

Parrot
Mud Man

Re: The Quantum Debate

Postby Parrot » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:03 pm

Is this a debate? A quantum debate would be along the lines of whether quantum physics is real/makes sense. And
...the Big Bang, wormholes, black holes, gravity..."
are all physics and astrophysics really.
But wormholes. These are tunnels in spacetime. Einstein (a famous scientist) said that our three dimensions, length, width and depth, can be combined with the fourth dimesion, which is time. He also said that an easy way to imagine it is to think of it as a grid, the y-axis is space and the x-axis is time. He also said that you could bend this spacetime around, like a rubber sheet. Wormholes are tunnels from one part of the sheet to another, so they are passages from one part of spacetime to another. They are very unstable (and theoretical!) so if anyone enters one and survives to come out the other side, you would not be able to get back the same way.
Hope you understood that! :laughing:
┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐

Multiverse
Elf

Postby Multiverse » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:59 pm

Parrot wrote:Is this a debate? A quantum debate would be along the lines of whether quantum physics is real/makes sense. And
...the Big Bang, wormholes, black holes, gravity..."
are all physics and astrophysics really.
But wormholes. These are tunnels in spacetime. Einstein (a famous scientist) said that our three dimensions, length, width and depth, can be combined with the fourth dimesion, which is time. He also said that an easy way to imagine it is to think of it as a grid, the y-axis is space and the x-axis is time. He also said that you could bend this spacetime around, like a rubber sheet. Wormholes are tunnels from one part of the sheet to another, so they are passages from one part of spacetime to another. They are very unstable (and theoretical!) so if anyone enters one and survives to come out the other side, you would not be able to get back the same way.
Hope you understood that! :laughing:

I realise it's not technically a debate, but all serious discussion outside of the journals seems to be going on in the debate forum, so I thought I'd post it here, as a debate. Feel free to argue about the existence of Quantum (as well as Physics), though. =)

I know the imagery, though - it's the actual physics (though theoretical) I'm unsure about. But thanks anyway (and yes, I do know Einstein. =P
This fourth dimension of his, time, would be one which we percieve differently in that we're moving through it in a constant motion, I personally suppose, and I expect we would have the same trouble perceiving any of the original three dimensions if that was the case with them).

Athena32
Goblin
AFC Fan Fiction Name: MyshiCorp

Postby Athena32 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:25 pm

I'm only 12, but I've read a lot of adult physics books. Quantum physics is how things work on a quantum level, so we're talking about things unimaginably tiny, like quarks. Not atoms, but the things that make up atoms. It's true that black holes are more astrophysics, but most of the books I've read have a mix.
Multiverse, if you want to learn more about quantum physics, I have some books you might want to look at.
The Universe In A Nutshell, a Stephen Hawking book which you've probably read, if you're working on A Briefer History of Time.
QED (quantum electro-dynamics), by Richard Fennyman (pronounced fine-man). It's a very in depth book, not as funny as Hawking, but written for the general public (of college level grads).

I would recommend that you read them both multiple times to fully comprehend everything. That's my policy.
Also, Antimatter, by Frank Close is a really interesting book. Not super related to QP, but very interesting.

Are you enjoying A Briefer History of Time?
I'm fine, seeing as you asked.-Foaly
Gnommish… Gnommish… What blasted translation system doesn’t have Gnommish?

Return to “The Debate Forum”