which is worse?

Friendly, spirited debates please people! Keep it clean.

Which is worse, emotional or physical pain?

emotional pain
80
73%
physical pain
29
27%
 
Total votes: 109

Mo_Digence
Swear Toad
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:49 am
Status: Offline

Re: which is worse?

Postby Mo_Digence » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:30 am

The brain will focus on the greatest current pain so if you get a cut and bite down on your hand the pain from the cut will seem to dissapear untill your hand feel better. But emotional pain deals directly with the brain so no little trick will get around that.
Image

girlgenius010
Goblin
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:05 am
Real First Name: Kamaria
Location: somewhere in this world......
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: which is worse?

Postby girlgenius010 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:00 am

sharkie wrote:If someone said "DOn't pass the ball the Sharkie, she's really bad" I'd probably agree with them.

The sort of emotional pain that i hate is when you are upset for no reason *coughpmscough* and you want to feel happy but you just want to cry. Makes you feel really emo and I hate it... cause I'm a happy person.


Me too!!!!! Very Happy but it makes u wonder though, what is emotional pain??
Image

90's are forever


Image
It's better to be sworn to an honest fool than to a lying scholar

- Eldest

Wacky Weirdo
Sprite
Posts: 235
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:08 pm
Location: My local mental assylum
Status: Offline

Re: which is worse?

Postby Wacky Weirdo » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:52 am

For me personally, I hate physical pain more. I think it is because I do have quite a strong mind and so if someone says something mean to me, I'm able to brush it off quite easily and tell myself, "Do you really want people to think that of you? Come on try harder and if that doesn't work, who cares?" In fact, I've been thinking a lot and I don't cry unless I get really badly hurt. Come to think of it, I wouldn't even cry if my parents died. I'd be a bit quietfor 2 months and then I'd get my life back on track.

The thing about physical pain is that while it sticks around, it is REALLY annoying. I just can't stand being annoyed for too long.

Or maybe I'm just a weirdo as my name suggests.
I hate it when people commit suicide. Life is the most precious thing you can have, why throw it away?

I think I'm losing it, my blue giraffe talks to me, is that normal?

Diana
Ruler of the People
Posts: 4590
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:13 pm
Location: Un-Space
Status: Offline

Re: which is worse?

Postby Diana » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:50 pm

Wacky Weirdo wrote:In fact, I've been thinking a lot and I don't cry unless I get really badly hurt. Come to think of it, I wouldn't even cry if my parents died. I'd be a bit quietfor 2 months and then I'd get my life back on track.
Wow. You must have a completely crap relationship with your parents then... Or else you must be a bit naive about death and grief.
Image
(My avatar was given its awesome existence by the benevolent Voldy.
If Cuddy doesn't look familiar, don't talk to me till you've clicked this.)

User avatar
Voldy
Here's my card.
Here's my card.
Posts: 5460
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:40 pm
Location: Yes.
Gender: Male
Status: Offline

Re: which is worse?

Postby Voldy » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:46 pm

Diana wrote:
Wacky Weirdo wrote:In fact, I've been thinking a lot and I don't cry unless I get really badly hurt. Come to think of it, I wouldn't even cry if my parents died. I'd be a bit quietfor 2 months and then I'd get my life back on track.
Wow. You must have a completely crap relationship with your parents then... Or else you must be a bit naive about death and grief.

Er, yeah....o_O

I think I've posted here before, but yeah, physical pain is worse for me. When I'm doing other things, or if friends are consoling me, I can get over emotional pain, and I'm better at handling that than physical pain. *nods*

arty_gal
Tomato President
Posts: 6030
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:35 pm
Location: Jin City
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: which is worse?

Postby arty_gal » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:38 am

Voldy wrote:
Diana wrote:
Wacky Weirdo wrote:In fact, I've been thinking a lot and I don't cry unless I get really badly hurt. Come to think of it, I wouldn't even cry if my parents died. I'd be a bit quietfor 2 months and then I'd get my life back on track.
Wow. You must have a completely crap relationship with your parents then... Or else you must be a bit naive about death and grief.

Er, yeah....o_O

I think I've posted here before, but yeah, physical pain is worse for me. When I'm doing other things, or if friends are consoling me, I can get over emotional pain, and I'm better at handling that than physical pain. *nods*


I'm the exact opposite. I'm better than average at handling physical pain and minor pains don't even make me blink, but emotional stuff just tires me too fast. I can never get any sleep if I have had a fight which is why most of my fights don't last beyond a day. Razz
Image
Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to Strawberry Fields.
Nothing is real and nothing to get hung about.
Strawberry Fields forever.
Avatar Credit to Voldy


*showers with confetti and love* I am the ninja of lavvv. *rapes*

User avatar
sharkie
Crazy Cat Lady
Crazy Cat Lady
Posts: 4596
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:33 am
Location: Land of Tweed, Tartan, and Deep Fried Mars Bars
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: which is worse?

Postby sharkie » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:50 pm

I know this guy who didn't even cry when his dad died- it's not like he wasn't completely devastated he just doesn't cry. So maybe Wacky Wierdo isn't completely niave and actually is being honest.

Me Razz I cry ALL the time. I'm not a cry baby- I just cry all the time. Not around my friends but if I feel like crying, I cry. I cry at flims- sad films and happy films (I sobbed at Billy Elliot). I cry when I realise that my cat is 18 and probably is going to die soon and I just...

I cry a lot, and let me say something... I love it
*TEETH KNASH* The yellow ducks shall eat your socks in the nighttime
Took Jangrafess out my sig, clearly he doesn't appreciate old respect when he's pulling stunts like that
Raped your sig to tell you, that yes it is! ~AG
Who cares. - Someone

I want to verb your noun

POKEMON BEASTIALITY PWNS ALL (yes, that was me - Jangra)

SORREH, Niki, teal is my color. ^_^ *rape* BOLD FTW. - Voldylicious
i thought you needed new rape from me and i like this color so *rapes* (:
oohhh kittyyy, she's so orgasmically amazing. *rapes*

User avatar
Gus
Master of Haven
Posts: 6950
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:50 pm
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Gender: Male
Status: Offline

Re: which is worse?

Postby Gus » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:40 pm

Posted here a while ago, but I think I'll reiterate...

I haven't experienced sever emotional or physical pain, so I really wouldn't know which is worse. But I've experienced more physical pain than emotional pain.

Like AG, I can deal with (some) physical pain. Have to, in karate. Razz I've been punched and kicked and hurt a lot. Even had my foot broken, but I didn't know it was broken then, so I kept going. (Though that was probably the adrenalin rush... couldn't feel the pain.)

And in the car crash I got into last spring. When everything stopped, I got out, took a few steps, and said "I'm sore all over, but I'll be fine. I've been through worse."

So anyway, I think I can handle physical pain better than I can handle emotional pain. Probably because I've experienced more physical pain.
Image Image
My Artemis Fowl game: Part One | Part Two | Part Three

Nikita
Tweetie
Posts: 1866
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:50 am
Location: Seattle Grace
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: which is worse?

Postby Nikita » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:03 am

I think physical pain is a lot worse...I've experienced mass amounts of both recently, and physical is far more excruciating. I can handle both just as well, but physical pain...hurts more. Razz You can get over emotional pain eventually, but it generally doesn't have as much of an effect on health as physical pain does (with the exception of suicide, homicide, etc.)
Owen: You okay? Want to get a drink or something?
Cristina: Oh. Oh, now we're on again 'cause the mood suits you? Because I'm the sad little girl with no friends and I tripped your savior complex into action? Usually I can deal with the hot and cold thing, but not today. Just leave me the hell alone.

arty_gal
Tomato President
Posts: 6030
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:35 pm
Location: Jin City
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: which is worse?

Postby arty_gal » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:15 am

Nikita wrote:I think physical pain is a lot worse...I've experienced mass amounts of both recently, and physical is far more excruciating. I can handle both just as well, but physical pain...hurts more. Razz You can get over emotional pain eventually, but it generally doesn't have as much of an effect on health as physical pain does (with the exception of suicide, homicide, etc.)


I think I disagree. I mean, I played seven rounds of Red Hand today (you know, the game where you slap each other's hands really hard to make them go red?) and I was the only girl. Ouch. Didn't mind much. On the other hand, I fought with a friend and that is 'hurting' much more.

So, yeah...
Image
Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to Strawberry Fields.
Nothing is real and nothing to get hung about.
Strawberry Fields forever.
Avatar Credit to Voldy


*showers with confetti and love* I am the ninja of lavvv. *rapes*

User avatar
Gus
Master of Haven
Posts: 6950
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:50 pm
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Gender: Male
Status: Offline

Re: which is worse?

Postby Gus » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:22 pm

Another thing to add is that the physical body is better understood than the mind. Suffer injuries to the body, chances are a doctor will be able to fix it. Suffer severe emotional trauma... a psychologist might not be able to fix it up completely.
Image Image
My Artemis Fowl game: Part One | Part Two | Part Three

titanomega
Mud Man
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 8:55 am
Status: Offline

Re: which is worse?

Postby titanomega » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:46 pm

I actually do not ind emotional pain. I find it easier to just bury it deep inside my mind, but physical pain frightens me more. If I injure my hand or leg it prevents me from doing my day to day chores and if I twist it in the wrong way while sleeping or something there will always be those stabs of pain.
Quantum Singularity: Its like a black hole but has a cooler name

User avatar
Voldy
Here's my card.
Here's my card.
Posts: 5460
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:40 pm
Location: Yes.
Gender: Male
Status: Offline

Re: which is worse?

Postby Voldy » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:09 am

arty_gal wrote:
Nikita wrote:I think physical pain is a lot worse...I've experienced mass amounts of both recently, and physical is far more excruciating. I can handle both just as well, but physical pain...hurts more. Razz You can get over emotional pain eventually, but it generally doesn't have as much of an effect on health as physical pain does (with the exception of suicide, homicide, etc.)


I think I disagree. I mean, I played seven rounds of Red Hand today (you know, the game where you slap each other's hands really hard to make them go red?) and I was the only girl. Ouch. Didn't mind much. On the other hand, I fought with a friend and that is 'hurting' much more.

So, yeah...

Red Hand heehee, we played that in school sometimes...I'm horrible at it is just a game, though, and can't really be compared with other aspects of emotional pain. Like, if you really get hurt, it...hurts. XD I can't stand physical pain, and there'll always be a little pain afterwards. When I fight with a friend or something, it usually settles quickly, and it's all okay again, and while we are fighting, someone is there to console me. And, I mean, I can't think about it constantly, because I have to think about a lot of other stuff.

So yeah, physical pain > emotional pain for me, still.

User avatar
Sorcha
Commander
Posts: 1337
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:31 pm
Location: Your imagination
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: which is worse?

Postby Sorcha » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:17 pm

I generally find emotional pain harder to bear (I'd rather my friends hit me than say some of the things that they've said). There are those incidents that sometimes happen when I've had a really huge falling out with someone, and it kept me up all night. Then when the issue's resolved, everyone's friends again and everything, but what's happened always remains in the back of my mind and it stays there. I can deal with physical pain, since someone once told me that if I can surivive the peak of that pain, then I'd be all right.
Image

raped by immortal and then sprinkled with love from kitty (:
you dare rape my sig?! o: i'ma gonna find out who did that. *kidnaps sig*

*raped with kisses and love from kitty again* ;)

BookWorm3
Commander
Posts: 1025
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:31 am
Status: Offline

Re: which is worse?

Postby BookWorm3 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:36 pm

I voted for emotional pain to be worse, because when your emotions are under so much pressure or anxiety, then sometimes you can actually start to feel real, physical pain. So it's like two for the price of one. Very, very bad.

Beleive me, I know from expirience.
I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it!
Image Image
I am STILL an official AFC SECRET AGENT! w00t! XD see my shiny badge?


Return to “The Debate Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Artemis Fowl Confidential Fan Forum : Disclaimer
cron

Login  •  Register