which is worse?

Friendly, spirited debates please people! Keep it clean.

Which is worse, emotional or physical pain?

emotional pain
73%
physical pain
27%

Total votes: 109

Juice
Pixie
Real First Name: Jo[CENSORED]

Re: which is worse?

Postby Juice » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:53 am

I voted physical pain.
Someone says they hate you. Oh well, you can get over it with no bodily harm.
Someone slugs you as hard as they possibly can. Ouch. It could cause permanent damage, lost teeth, etc., which to me, seems much worse.
"Coffee: Killing people and then bringing them back to life since 23,486 B.C."

BookWorm3
Commander

Postby BookWorm3 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:41 am

Well, the type of emotional pain that I thought would be worse than physical pain, is more than just shrugging off an insult. I was talking about deep depression. Like the kind caused by the loss of a loved one, or verbal abuse from someone that you love. It can cause pain on the inside and out.
I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it!
Image Image
I am STILL an official AFC SECRET AGENT! w00t! XD see my shiny badge?

Juice
Pixie
Real First Name: Jo[CENSORED]

Postby Juice » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:27 am

Hmm, I see your point. I guess my example was kind of bad, because it was only a minor insult.
"Coffee: Killing people and then bringing them back to life since 23,486 B.C."

marquee+artemis
Goblin

Postby marquee+artemis » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:18 am

I think emotinal pain is worse because it sticks in your mind and you sometime can never heal the pain. Physical pain, however, can be fixed. Emotinal Pain never really heals. It's always there:nagging at you from the side of your brain. And besides, I don't ever tell anybody-whenever they actually do-that they hurt you. So, physical pain is more bearable. A slap to the face. Sure I'll take it. Simple as Pie.

diesector21
Centaur
Real First Name: Henry

Postby diesector21 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:26 am

Physical pain, put into a simple explanation, is only a warning your nerves send to your brain for you to 'watch out' what just happened to your body.

Emotional pain is a LOT worse, and even moderate cases of these can result in suicide, and extreme cases can result in suicide, after several murders.

You may have just lost your leg after a brutal car accident, but you can still continue life, albeit a bit differently. However, the thought of hopelessness or loneliless will stop your life completely.

If you wanna find me more often, go here. But don't bump the thread.

Doctor Universalis
Sprite

Postby Doctor Universalis » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:14 pm

This is a remarkably difficult topic for be to speak intelligently about. I don't believe that I have ever experienced deep emotional pain, and physical pain has always been transient. I suppose that it would have to do with the degree and the permanence of the pain, so I would err on the side of emotional pain, as a one-time event (death of a loved one, for instance) is almost guaranteed to occur at some point in one's life, and can have long lasting effects, where truly persistent physical pain is less likely, and more directly treatable. I would ultimately defer, I am sure, to someone who has actually experienced both in plenty (I hope there is no one here who fits the description: I don't want (unnecessary) pain for people anywhere in the past, present, or future).
My archetype is control. I value inertia, and exert tremendous effort to ensure nothing of note occurs. At my best, I will take you to zero in a timely fashion with a large man or combo finish. At my worst, have fun decking yourself while I stay around with two Gaea's Blessings. My symbol is a Pernicious Deed in the 'yard, a Standstill in play, and a Force of Will and accompanying blue card in hand. My enemies are Aggro and the match clock.

carino
Mud Man

Postby carino » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:58 am

Emotional pain is definitely worse for me. I know that both emotional and physical pain can be damaging..but for me I'd rather not be able to do some things physically than have my mind affected by it or whatever. That would suck so much!!
Check out my blog!

Thanks to all the people who have supplied my graphics!FanGathering, Voldy at AFC, and Kitty Rainbow

Will
Mud Man

Postby Will » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:16 am

Emotional Pain I guess cuz some people get so much of it they physically hurt themselves

jmyung812
Dwarf

Postby jmyung812 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:51 am

Emotional pain because physical pain can heal like a bruise but emotional pain once it gets inside you you might never get it out again.
ImageImage

A Secret is what makes a Woman, Woman
The World is nothing without PIE....
If you don't like the ANSWER,
Why did you ask the QUESTION?

---98% of teenagers do or have tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature

Lightbulb621
Orangeylicious Queen

Postby Lightbulb621 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:46 am

jmyung812 wrote:Emotional pain because physical pain can heal like a bruise but emotional pain once it gets inside you you might never get it out again.

Same with me. I agree.
Gus Revolution
I heart my giant orange plushie and fluffy orange doggy. AG&Tyrie<3
Member of the Obnoxious Teenagers Club.
Official Secret AFC Agent
twitter outline behance

Qh_girl
Atlantean
Real First Name: Anna
Location: Smearing gum on the underside of your Dining Room table.

Postby Qh_girl » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:02 pm

I voted emotional pain.

I have never had very bad physical pain before, but I have experienced emotional pain, It hurts. I can/will get very angry or sad at the slightest things. But the more difficult things I keep. They build up. I've had outbursts for no apparent reason because it grew so much. Though I still have some that I will never get over. Guilt, anger, greif, all still inside. Can't forgive myself, can't forgive others. Dang it, it really does hurt when you have too much. And it gets in the way of your life. It gets bad too. I've contemplated hurting myself to feel something else. So, when people want to get rid of their emotional pain, they hurt themselves to try to drown it with physical pain. So, yeah, emotional is worse.
Just call me Anya, That's what everyone calls me. Though, I answer to almost anything. Or Rainy. She is like, my other half. Though, really, she's just me.
Shiva-- You never got a chance to grow old; but now, you won't have to. Love ya forever, baby girl!
I'm a CHRISTIAN and I'm PROUD OF IT!

unorthodox yo-yo
Eccentric Zig-Zag

Postby unorthodox yo-yo » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:52 am

Both Physical and Emotional pain can hurt really bad. Both can be damaging but both can heal too. I've never been hurt real bad but I have experienced emotional pain. I've gotten over it, but there are time when I'll 'relapse' so to speak. Physical pain can relapse too, too but personally I think that if you get hurt one way or the other and they relapse I'd say emotional is worse because after a while you can get used to or come to expect physical pain (or at least certain kinds) emotional pain seems to always hurt like it's the first time and it can hit you suddenly.
I am the Queeking and Founder of the Knights of the Invisible Table!
If you would like to join the Knights of the Invisible table please go
here.

Zobo
Elf

Postby Zobo » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:26 am

Comon people physical pain. Whats worse you are betrayed and some one metaphorically rips your heart out or a mutant walks up to you punches a hole in your chest a really rips you heart out?
Ello.

Sorcha
Commander

Postby Sorcha » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:25 pm

Whats worse you are betrayed and some one metaphorically rips your heart out or a mutant walks up to you punches a hole in your chest a really rips you heart out?

Well, let's just say that a mutant exists, walks up to me and tears my heart out. I'd probably die pretty quickly (if not immediately) after that.

But in all seriousness, the metaphorical tearing out of the heart is a slow pain that'd take a while to get over. The physical ripping out is instant, at least.

raped by immortal and then sprinkled with love from kitty (:
you dare rape my sig?! o: i'ma gonna find out who did that. *kidnaps sig*

*raped with kisses and love from kitty again* ;)

unorthodox yo-yo
Eccentric Zig-Zag

Postby unorthodox yo-yo » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:25 pm

Zobo wrote:Whats worse you are betrayed and some one metaphorically rips your heart out or a mutant walks up to you punches a hole in your chest a really rips you heart out?

Um... I'd say betrayal. Like Sorcha said, if your heart was physically ripped out, you would die instantly. Maybe 2 seconds of pain, 3 tops. Betrayal can hurt for years.

~yo
I am the Queeking and Founder of the Knights of the Invisible Table!
If you would like to join the Knights of the Invisible table please go
here.

Return to “The Debate Forum”