Attention

The new Artemis Fowl Confidential website is live! Check it out, and leave us some comments and feedback!

Speaking Gnommish

This is the general Artemis Fowl talk section.

Speaking Gnommish

Postby captin.holly.short » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:17 am

Hi everyone. I have a REALLY big question that nobody seems to be able to answer... How do you speak Gnommish

Many people, including myself, have the ability to read and write in the fairy tounge. But how do you speak it? We know a few words like D'arvit, cowpog, ect. but we don't know what these words actually mean. (except for cowpog which translates to moron) Anyway, have fun with this topic!
captin.holly.short
Cave Troll

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Speaking Gnommish

Postby Centaurboi2 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:41 am

Ok I moved this tot he AF talk section. With gnomish I think it's more a series of noises, I thought that was mentioned in the books. Even with D'Arvit I don't think it's pronounced the way it seems.
Cookies and milk next to the stove. Be sure to stay out of trouble and wash your face before bed! :)
Love,
Mum
Centaurboi2
Programmer in Purple
Programmer in Purple

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby fireniner3 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:24 pm

http://www.whymedia.ca/dungeonsanddragons/resources/languages/gnomish.html

Is this the gnommish language?.... or is this a different type of gnommish?
fireniner3
Gremlin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby optiguy » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:24 am

That's not the same kind of gnommish.

I've always wanted to be able to speak gnommish! I just think that would be awesome! I think EC should write a translator with a bunch of very common words and phrases. That would be cool!
"It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone."
-Rose Kennedy.

optiguy
Council Member

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Creatress » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:16 am

In TTP, Opal says something like "Tell me where the little *blebers* went" or something along that line. To Mulch, I believe it was... I can't look it up because I don't have the book with me.

What about "blebers?" It sounds familiar for some reason, but I can't put my finger on it... :S
All hail the Almighty Creatress! ;P

xXxXx

If you think that Writer's Block sucks, copy and paste this into your profile.

xXxXx

"'Holly, let me look at you,' he said again, holding her shoulders.

Something in Artemis's voice made Holly stop what she was doing and pay attention. This was not a tone that Artemis Fowl used very often. It could almost classify as tenderness.'
- The Lost Colony
Creatress
Dwarf

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby optiguy » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:19 pm

Yeah, that does ring a bell. I could guess what it means though....XD
"It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone."
-Rose Kennedy.

optiguy
Council Member

Postby Tyrison » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:58 am

Hm. I thought it sounded a bit like German, but that's probably just me; it's Gnommish, I believe.

About speaking Gnommish...right now, it's not exactly possible, because we don't know enough words. Maybe if Eoin gets really inspired someday, he'll invent the rest of the language, or at least give us a broader view, but right now all we know are a few words.

[/two cents]
The quandary of Autumn's child
I'm not sure if falling leaves
are merely butterflies that
have died or photographs
we don't remember taking.

GUS'S DISCIPLES OF SEMI-SEXY, TAKING OVER THE WORLD!
Official Secret AFC Agent 008 ~ Since whenever

But this morning, there's a calm I can't explain; The rock candy's melted, only diamonds now remain...
Tyrison
Ty(rosine)

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Location: Preferably in a good book, AFC, writing fanfic, or working on my novel. ^_^

Postby lethe_naiad » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:53 am

I always imagine it more like the Elvish in Tolkein.

It'd be cool is it was in the movie.
ImageImageImageImageImage
lethe_naiad
The Splendiferous
The Splendiferous

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Artemis Fowl Talk