Commander Roots Death

This is the general Artemis Fowl talk section.
branden
Tunnel Blue Spider
Real First Name: branden

Commander Roots Death

Postby branden » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:42 pm

What do you think about Commander Root dying in the Opal Deception :crying:

Sarah Short
Goblin
Real First Name: Sarah

Re: Commander Roots Death

Postby Sarah Short » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:28 pm

I thought it was tragic! :( As my siggy says, R.I.P. Commander Root!
R.I.P. Julius Root LEP Recon Commandar

I'm an A/H-er, just sayin.

Spoiler:
HOLLY!!!!!!! <3

I love my sisters, Sabrina Short and Holly Short

Here's an idea! Recomend Artemis Fowl to a friend! This way Artemis Fowl can be even more popular!

DaMan23
Gremlin

Postby DaMan23 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:41 am

That was a bit unnexpected, it still got me surprised after reading it a second time (after finishing the series) sad isn't it! It was tragic, and evil of opal, that evil witch XD
It's truley amazing how I don't understand half the things I say o_O

"Now before we get into anything, ladies, no scratching, no spitting and no tattling to mummy."-Butler

"Honestly Linc, I don't know how it's come to this. And you can't keep blaming mom for dying and dad for leaving cause I was there too. The difference is I got out. Mom had life insurance, I took my half, put myself through school. What'd you do with your half Link?"-scoffield -- prison break

Where would you go if you only made left turnes?

Life isn't weird.... It's just the people in it

We could learn alot from crayons; some are sharp, some are dull, while other are pretty, some even have weird names, but they have all learned to live together in the same box

---98% of teenagers do or have tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.---

A.FILES
Mud Man
Real First Name: Shannon
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Ally Kat

Postby A.FILES » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:41 am

i actually cried! I never cry when I'm reading or watching a movie! He was one of my favorite characters right up there with Foaly. I still cry when I re-read The Opal Deception. Read my siggy and you'll know, at least a little bit, how much I respect and miss him.
In out hearts forever, in loving memory of Julius Root. Gone but not forgotten.
~Water forever fades into the moonlight~
I don't like lollipops ~Artemis Fowl
Normality is an illusion, why do you think there are so many crazy people in the world?
Koboi Labs: Technology you can trust, people you can't. ~My bud, Flare
Let me say this one more time, slowly, insult Foaly one more time, and you'll become newly acquainted with the ground. ~Me, and I'm not kidding either.
I didn't escape the loony bin, I have a day pass!
I got goosed and all I got was this stupid signature.

Mrs Opal Fowl
Elf
Real First Name: Erika

Postby Mrs Opal Fowl » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:13 am

It was sad. Root was a good character, and if it had to be someone... well, not him. Because he's funny and he always turns red when he's angry.

RIP, Commander. :crying:

Cat Moon
Commander
Location: HIVE - The Higher Institute of Villainous Education

Postby Cat Moon » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:23 pm

A.FILES wrote:i actually cried! I never cry when I'm reading or watching a movie! He was one of my favorite characters right up there with Foaly. I still cry when I re-read The Opal Deception. Read my siggy and you'll know, at least a little bit, how much I respect and miss him.

I cried too. I cry every time I read it - and my eyes well up every time I think about it. Those last words - 'Be well.' - even if I get right through the scene, I burst into tears then.

RIP Commander Julius Root. We'll never forget you.
Thankyou for my avvie, Rain! I luv it!!! :laughing:

Do not let the Cat out. No matter what I tell you. :shiny:

Never say that! Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! Because if we fail, I'd rather fail really hugely. All or nothing!
~Moist von Lipwig

+++Out of cheese+++Divide by Cucumber Error+++Please reinstall universe and reboot+++~Discworld

Eskarina
Swear Toad

Postby Eskarina » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:15 pm

I've felt strongly about it, because of all the things to be found in the books, this kind of death had some flavor of crude violence to it, without much sugar coating anything. I've felt pretty sorry for Holly and can well imagine how it is haunting her for years afterwards.

Yet, I admire them both for how they took it- he with staying reassuring as a commander, whatever terror it might've been he felt, and she as still a loyal worker that does continue to work hard and doesn't break down after the death of her beloved superior. Admirable.

Invisible Ninja
Pixie

Postby Invisible Ninja » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:04 pm

Eskarina wrote:I've felt strongly about it, because of all the things to be found in the books, this kind of death had some flavor of crude violence to it, without much sugar coating anything. I've felt pretty sorry for Holly and can well imagine how it is haunting her for years afterwards.

Yet, I admire them both for how they took it- he with staying reassuring as a commander, whatever terror it might've been he felt, and she as still a loyal worker that does continue to work hard and doesn't break down after the death of her beloved superior. Admirable.

That's a good point. I also thought it was tragic, and for half the book was in denial since like ninty percent of the time authors wait until the end and say "But wait! He's not dead after all!" but I finally accepted it. :(

Cat Moon
Commander

Postby Cat Moon » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:33 pm

Invisible Ninja wrote:
Eskarina wrote:I've felt strongly about it, because of all the things to be found in the books, this kind of death had some flavor of crude violence to it, without much sugar coating anything. I've felt pretty sorry for Holly and can well imagine how it is haunting her for years afterwards.

That's a good point. I also thought it was tragic, and for half the book was in denial since like ninty percent of the time authors wait until the end and say "But wait! He's not dead after all!" but I finally accepted it. :(

Me too! I was like, 'He's gonna come back on the...next page!...Oh...no...He's gonna come back in the...next chapter!...Oh...no...'
I was completely in denial!

Never say that! Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! Because if we fail, I'd rather fail really hugely. All or nothing!
~Moist von Lipwig

+++Out of cheese+++Divide by Cucumber Error+++Please reinstall universe and reboot+++~Discworld

bluesunrise
Bubbly Queen of Blue
AFC Fan Fiction Name: bluesunrise

Postby bluesunrise » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:52 pm

While Commander Root is one of my favorite characters and I was depressed when he died, I think it would ruin the story if he came back to life. I didn't mind the scene in TTP when Holly called him, in fact I rather enjoyed it, but I think he should stay dead.

The Doctor/Rose=BEST SHIP EVER!

A.FILES
Mud Man
Real First Name: Shannon
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Ally Kat

Postby A.FILES » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:25 pm

There are so many ways I could counter that with ways he could still be alive, but I wouldn't want to ruin a perfectly good death. I honestly still cry when I read that and I'm dieing a little inside right now. WE MISS YOU J. ROOT!
In out hearts forever, in loving memory of Julius Root. Gone but not forgotten.
~Water forever fades into the moonlight~
I don't like lollipops ~Artemis Fowl
Normality is an illusion, why do you think there are so many crazy people in the world?
Koboi Labs: Technology you can trust, people you can't. ~My bud, Flare
Let me say this one more time, slowly, insult Foaly one more time, and you'll become newly acquainted with the ground. ~Me, and I'm not kidding either.
I didn't escape the loony bin, I have a day pass!
I got goosed and all I got was this stupid signature.

EmblematicReprobate
Gremlin

Postby EmblematicReprobate » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:05 pm

Okay... I hope I'm not that alone in this, but... I thought his death was so cool.

"How does it feel to have only sixty seconds left to live?" I was like, "That's so twisted! Wow! Opal, you evil, little... wow!"

And then giving Holly the false option to save him... and "KER-BLAM." I just thought it was a really creative, demented way to kill someone off. Gave me a whole new apprecation for Opal as a villain. Most nifty character death I've ever read. And he stays dead, which is pretty unique in itself for the YA genres.

Emotionally, yeah. I miss Root. Tough-love kind of guy, y'know? But I'm still happy he died... heh, can't help it.

Plus, it kinda amused me thinking about how many people possibly lost money by it. 8)

holly_fowl
Swear Toad

Postby holly_fowl » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:27 pm

Cat Moon wrote:
A.FILES wrote:i actually cried! I never cry when I'm reading or watching a movie! He was one of my favorite characters right up there with Foaly. I still cry when I re-read The Opal Deception. Read my siggy and you'll know, at least a little bit, how much I respect and miss him.

I cried too. I cry every time I read it - and my eyes well up every time I think about it. Those last words - 'Be well.' - even if I get right through the scene, I burst into tears then.

RIP Commander Julius Root. We'll never forget you.

I know. I was close to tears. It was those two words 'Be well' that triggered it.
"Hold on. I need to get a tissue and wipe my eyes."-BUTLER
"What in Frond's name is the cancan? -JULIUS BEETROOT

Eskarina
Swear Toad

Postby Eskarina » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:49 pm

Perhaps a bit off-topic: To me, it seems reviving a character ruins something for more types of stories, if not the plot, then the realistic feeling of it. After all, the dead just don't rise randomly up to live again, real life doesn't work that way... The heroes are supposed to be in at least a bit of 'realistic' setting, right?

So, unless it's well reasoned-out why such an action is necessary for the story to carry on, or unless it's a part of a genre where reviving characters can be *expected*, even awaited... well, no. Better keep them gone.

Cat Moon
Commander

Postby Cat Moon » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:53 pm

Yeah, although obviously Root's death really upset me, I wouldn't want an unrealistic, 'Hey guys! Guess what? I only PRETENDED to be dead! I've been hiding in Haven for ages! Isn't that great!'
I wouldn't mind if the Hero Squad had to do something supernatural entailing great sacrifice etc. to bring Root back to life, but it'd have to be something which wouldn't seem too convenient.

~Moist von Lipwig

Return to “Artemis Fowl Talk”