Did YOU figure out the Gnommish alphabet?

This is the general Artemis Fowl talk section.

?

I figured it out for myself.
51%
I saw it on the internet.
35%
It's on the internet?
7%
I don't care.
3%
I'm still trying to figure it out.
3%

Total votes: 68

Mere Reflection
Special Agent of Mr. Shiny

Re: Did YOU figure out the Gnommish alphabet?

Postby Mere Reflection » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:03 am

I've lost the ability to read it, but I can work it out fast without writing it down. I spent hours when I was about eight translating the first book, and I wrote it down. When I was bored a couple of years ago I wrote them all down in my neatest handwriting (which, when I look at it now, is messy as anything), and put it in my desk.

I think you can get the font on word through Colfer Confidential, but I'm not sure. I think it was in the "downloads" section.
Thanks to Cat Moon & Raineesun for helping me do this XD
Always forgive your enemies - Nothing annoys them so much.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Evening news is where they begin with 'good evening' then proceed to tell you why it isn't.
Always remember you are utterly unique. Just like everyone else.
Why are you still reading this?
Nothing is impossible, yet everything is a lie. Fishies! :D
A/H forever

Purple_Enigma
Pixie

Postby Purple_Enigma » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:02 pm

Mere Reflection wrote:I've lost the ability to read it, but I can work it out fast without writing it down. I spent hours when I was about eight translating the first book, and I wrote it down. When I was bored a couple of years ago I wrote them all down in my neatest handwriting (which, when I look at it now, is messy as anything), and put it in my desk.

I think you can get the font on word through Colfer Confidential, but I'm not sure. I think it was in the "downloads" section.

YESSS!!!
TAC
Spoiler:
'I must go,Butler,' said Artemis firmly.'My mind is eating me alive.I think the guilt is the main problem.I must do whatever I can to atone.'
'And?' said Butler,unconvinced.
Artemis held his arms out so that Foaly could drape the suit sleeves over them.
'And I will not be beaten by that jackass.'
'Jackass?'said Foaly,wounded.‘My favourite uncle is a jackass.'

From here
Spoiler:
If asked in class what the Avada Kedavra curse does, yelling "It does DEATH!" may be correct but is not the manner in which one should answer.
The proper way to report to Professor McGonagall is "You wanted to see me, Professor?" Not "I have it on good authority that you have no evidence."
I will not tell the Ravenclaws that they're basically useless because Hogwarts' smartest student is in another house.
I will not conjure up lemons and say-Life hath given thou LEMONS!

EA 2011 - The Member who is Always in the Know :D :D

JetDragon1656
Mud Man
Real First Name: Stephanie

Postby JetDragon1656 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:13 pm

before i even got to try to figure it out i got the artemis files which had it in it :(
"There are no endings in life, just new beginnings."-Flavia
"Never try to tell someone everything you know...you might find out that it takes to short of a time."-teacher
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."-Abraham Lincoln
"If I were you then you'd be me and if I were you I would hide somewhere far away."-Artemis Fowl

ImageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

AF Lover
Truly Devoted Fan
Real First Name: Lucy

Postby AF Lover » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:46 am

Not only have I figured it out, I've memorized it! I'm better at reading it than writing it, though.

FadingLight
Mud Man

Postby FadingLight » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:49 pm

I tried to figure it out, but didn't get that the squiggly line was "e". I found it in the Fowl Files and memorized it, but I think I've forgotten it again. Maybe I need to reread it.
I said you were smart, Mud Boy. I was wrong; are exceptional.—Qwan
Which do you think seems more suspicious? An alien-looking craft hovering in the yard of a country home, or a floating doorway with a centaur standing in it?—Domovoi Butler
We can only change the future, not the past or present.—Artemis Fowl II
I'm trying to care, Artemis. But I thought it was all supposed to be over when the fat lady sings. Well, she's singing, but it doesn't appear to be over.—Holly Short

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Axxonu

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:38 am

Hehe, well, I listened to the books on audiobook first, so I didn't even realize there was a code until I got the Artemis Fowl Files. (Which, as jetdragon said, already has the code in them.) I translated a couple of the codes by hand (I think TTP and TAC, and possibly book 1, though I'm not sure), and the rest I cheated and looked up online. ;9 (They are fun, but take a long time, especially if you're not fluent. I think I used up all my brainpower learning how to write in unoun. XD)

Mere Reflection wrote:I think you can get the font on word through Colfer Confidential, but I'm not sure. I think it was in the "downloads" section.

Yes, you can!! :D The link is here: http://www.artemis-fowl.com/artemis-fowl-fonts/ It's so much fun!!!! :D

Actually, I discovered there are a lot of make-your-own-font tools out there, and naturally my first thought was, 'I can make my own gnommish fonts!' (Maybe this should be in the 'You know you're an AF nerd when' category??) So I went ahead and made a few of my own awhile back. :J (I guess I'll put a couple of them up here, if that's okay? ^^')

Font 1 [elegant handwriting]:
http://axxonu.deviantart.com/art/Gnommish-Elegant-Template-442764129

Font 2 [scrawl handwriting]:
http://axxonu.deviantart.com/art/Gnommish-Scrawl-Template-442762712

Font 3 [angular block]:
http://axxonu.deviantart.com/art/Gnommish-Angular-Block-Template-442765962

Of course the official one is best, but I think it's fun to have a variety. C: (There are some inaccuracies; the font creator I used didn't seem to have a place to put symbols for the space key as far as I could tell [though I put a dot in the semicolon space, which I can use if I want it to look more authentic], and the 'e' doesn't appear under the other letters [though maybe I could put the 'e' symbol where the underscore goes, but again, this font creator didn't have an option for it], but if I find a creator with more options, I may go back and redo them. c: ) Unfortunately, there are a few hoops you have to jump through if you want to use them, but it wasn't as bad as I was afraid it would be. (If you want to use the font, first you'd download the image from deviantArt, then click on the link 'MyScriptFont' in the comments section, then follow the instructions on the font website. You don't even need to have an account or anything, you just upload the image and the site makes it into a font, and you download the font.)

So anyway. On the subject of the codes. I don't suppose anyone out there has a favorite? (Or does that have a topic already? XD)
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [Post TAC]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28912232/Artemis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

FadingLight
Mud Man

Postby FadingLight » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:39 am

I found the messages on the Internet, but I wanted to translate them by hand. So that I knew they were were accurate, and also so I could add punctuation (for some reason, I have trouble reading stuff that's punctuated wrong. I'm picky that way). Oh yeah, I liked Last Guardian code the best (Artemis's will!!), but the Atlantis Complex one is a pretty close second. Poor Argon. The copies of the Eternity Code and the Arctic Incident at my local library didn't have codes, for some reason, but they were on the Internet, hurray! The Lost Colony code made me crack up. "It is fine to stab a demon with your sword; he will congratulate you for managing that, but only poor warriors lose their swords and then get stabbed with them".
Which do you think seems more suspicious? An alien-looking craft hovering in the yard of a country home, or a floating doorway with a centaur standing in it?—Domovoi Butler
I'm trying to care, Artemis. But I thought it was all supposed to be over when the fat lady sings. Well, she's singing, but it doesn't appear to be over.—Holly Short

NerdGurl
Gremlin
Real First Name: Kaeli
AFC Fan Fiction Name: NerdGurl

Postby NerdGurl » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:24 am

As cool as it would be to walk up to someone and spout a string of Gnomish curses, I don't really care. I'm already learning Latin, and hopefully starting Greek soon.

FadingLight
Mud Man

Postby FadingLight » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:55 pm

We don't know how to pronounce any Gnommish words anyways, except maybe for the Gnommish equivalent of "Plunderer".

Athena32
Goblin
AFC Fan Fiction Name: MyshiCorp

Postby Athena32 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:11 pm

I used the code in TAFF to decode it, and can now read gnommish fluently. I haven't tried writing it yet, but I'll try that. Is it ever hard to make the symbols? I once tried writing in hieroglyphs, but I had trouble drawing the pictures. Does anyone know how to speak gnommish?
I'm fine, seeing as you asked.-Foaly
Gnommish… Gnommish… What blasted translation system doesn’t have Gnommish?

FadingLight
Mud Man

Postby FadingLight » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:09 pm

It doesn't really mention many words in books, which is a shame. It would be awesome if we could speak Gnommish beyond saying "moron", "plunderer", and "D'Arvit", but I guess it would take too long for Eoin Colfer to invent a whole language.

Return to “Artemis Fowl Talk”