Artemis Fowl: The Atlantis Complex !!SPOILER ALERT!!

This is the general Artemis Fowl talk section.
Purple_Enigma
Pixie

Re: Artemis Fowl: The Atlantis Complex !!SPOILER ALERT!!

Postby Purple_Enigma » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:59 am

^ ohhh...At first i assumed the whole 'Number One's magic' thing from TTP had something to do with it, then I read what holly said and I thought that magic must change its colour with age... but then I misread ILive's post so I got confused again :p

But that was a really random thing to put in sooo late in the series
TAC
Spoiler:
'I must go,Butler,' said Artemis firmly.'My mind is eating me alive.I think the guilt is the main problem.I must do whatever I can to atone.'
'And?' said Butler,unconvinced.
Artemis held his arms out so that Foaly could drape the suit sleeves over them.
'And I will not be beaten by that jackass.'
'Jackass?'said Foaly,wounded.‘My favourite uncle is a jackass.'

From here
Spoiler:
If asked in class what the Avada Kedavra curse does, yelling "It does DEATH!" may be correct but is not the manner in which one should answer.
The proper way to report to Professor McGonagall is "You wanted to see me, Professor?" Not "I have it on good authority that you have no evidence."
I will not tell the Ravenclaws that they're basically useless because Hogwarts' smartest student is in another house.
I will not conjure up lemons and say-Life hath given thou LEMONS!

EA 2011 - The Member who is Always in the Know :D :D

Mere Reflection
Special Agent of Mr. Shiny

Postby Mere Reflection » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:08 am

The colour change is slighly random. Holly isn't even old for an elf! They live for many hundreds of years. She's eighty.

I shouldn't be thinking this way, but too bad I am. I just had this idea- what better way to show that no, it's not wrong, and they are the same age, than Artemis recuperating his magic... AND IT BEING AMBER!!!

And I reread "The C Word". So, soo true.

(And by the way, I don't think you're a brat, Mizora. I actually respect you for going for what you believe in! :shiny: )
Thanks to Cat Moon & Raineesun for helping me do this XD
Always forgive your enemies - Nothing annoys them so much.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Evening news is where they begin with 'good evening' then proceed to tell you why it isn't.
Always remember you are utterly unique. Just like everyone else.
Why are you still reading this?
Nothing is impossible, yet everything is a lie. Fishies! :D
A/H forever

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:31 pm

I still don't really get the Amber thing and why it means that she is older, but whatever. If Artemis' magic was Amber though, then he would be older? :huh: I'm confused by this whole thing. Where is this in the books?

Also, I was watching LOTR yesterday (showing it to my friend who had never seen it. Never seen it! Can you believe that?!) and one thing that Arwen says to Aragorn is that she chooses a mortal life, and just now I was thinking, we were all pondering whether Artemis could turn into a fairy, but what if Holly turned human? What if she could give up her "immortality" to be with Artemis? It seems more plausible that Artemis becoming a fairy doesn't it?

Also, I read The C-Word. What was that proving again? Why did you guys bring it up? Is it just showing that if there is a way for Artemis and Holly to be together, he will find it? Nice. ... :shiny: I think I just figured it out! Eoin says that they can't be together, but Artemis will have to prove him wrong! Love it.
ImageImage Image

Obsessed with...Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Artemis Fowl, Maximum Ride, Avatar the Last Airbender....and proud
I am eternally greatful to xybolic for introducing me to Ouran High School Host Club, which I am now completely obsessed with!! :loveeyes:

"The same blood flows in my veins. The same weakness." - Aragorn, FOTR

"Don't worry Sam. Rosie knows an idiot when she sees one." - Frodo, FOTR

"Put aside the ranger. Become who you were born to be." - Elrond, ROTK

"Haruhi and I are the main chracters, so we're obviously love interests!" - Tamaki, OHSHC

ILiveForTheDay
Golden Acorn Officer
Real First Name: ForeverDay

Postby ILiveForTheDay » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:36 pm

lotrfan wrote:I still don't really get the Amber thing and why it means that she is older, but whatever. If Artemis' magic was Amber though, then he would be older? :huh: I'm confused by this whole thing. Where is this in the books?

Also, I was watching LOTR yesterday (showing it to my friend who had never seen it. Never seen it! Can you believe that?!) and one thing that Arwen says to Aragorn is that she chooses a mortal life, and just now I was thinking, we were all pondering whether Artemis could turn into a fairy, but what if Holly turned human? What if she could give up her "immortality" to be with Artemis? It seems more plausible that Artemis becoming a fairy doesn't it?

Also, I read The C-Word. What was that proving again? Why did you guys bring it up? Is it just showing that if there is a way for Artemis and Holly to be together, he will find it? Nice. ... :shiny: I think I just figured it out! Eoin says that they can't be together, but Artemis will have to prove him wrong! Love it.

The amber magic is when Holly gets injured in Iceland, near the beginning. I just noticed it as a really random thing.

As for seeing the LOTR I'm going to finish the books before starting the movies, but you should definately check out Lli's, Seen In a Certain Light. It's long, but totally worth it, and basically is a 'what would happen if Holly became human'. Very AH, but done in a totally realistic way: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5045938/1/bSeen_b_In_bA_b_bCertain_b_bLight_b

On The C Word, that was totally what I was meaning. Artemis can't be with Holly?
☺ ☻ ♥ ♠ ♣ ♦ • ◘ ♫ ☼ ☺ ♪ ♀ ◄ ↕ ‼ ► ↑ ↓ → § ← ∟ ↔ ▼ ▲ ! " £ $ % ^ & * ( ) _ + ¿

Grady: 'Cuz everytime you try to do something nice for us we end up sad
Nico: Or injured
Grady: Or in Mexico. . .

It's ALIVE.

Kitsune Heart
Gremlin

Postby Kitsune Heart » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:46 am

Mmmm...today is one of those days where I completely imagine Colfer worrying for his "fragile mind" due to the fans. Yay for random inspiration. (er...got check fanfiction link in my siggy)

But, anyways. I think I've stated before that I don't think this series will result in overtly A/H romance. In fact, an earlier comment I saw on "His Dark Materials" and characters being able to have true love, yet be separated is scarily spot-on, in my mind. I mean, I recall Colfer once saying he got ideas by going through Phillip Pullman's trash.

So, Colfer, if you're reading this, and you intend to let Artemis and Holly be in love, yet kept apart for some reason. Stop. I will point and sneer all through the ending of the last book, for not being original. And gather my minions to rise against you.

Or, you know...sit here and cry profusely, and ignore your last two books.

Experience the Kit Effect. Warning: May result in liquids spurting from nose, multiple nights of no sleep, and lamentations in women.
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1512299/Kitsune_Heart
Spoiler:
Current major work: "In Another's Eyes"
Four terrifying words: "You are the father." When the last person in the LEP that ANYONE thought would ever hear those words finds himself having to face up to a new responsibility...will he rise to it or fall? And what must he lose to get what he wants?
Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5609233/1/In_Anothers_Eyes

Purple_Enigma
Pixie

Postby Purple_Enigma » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:41 pm

Kitsune Heart wrote:Mmmm...today is one of those days where I completely imagine Colfer worrying for his "fragile mind" due to the fans. Yay for random inspiration. (er...got check fanfiction link in my siggy)

But, anyways. I think I've stated before that I don't think this series will result in overtly A/H romance. In fact, an earlier comment I saw on "His Dark Materials" and characters being able to have true love, yet be separated is scarily spot-on, in my mind. I mean, I recall Colfer once saying he got ideas by going through Phillip Pullman's trash.

So, Colfer, if you're reading this, and you intend to let Artemis and Holly be in love, yet kept apart for some reason. Stop. I will point and sneer all through the ending of the last book, for not being original. And gather my minions to rise against you.

@ the one in bold:You go, girl!
@the one in italics:Ah, well, you'll just join the rest of us. That ain't bad. :p

No, but seriously, NO cliches. NONE. I will not STAND for anything less than awesome. New character who Arty falls in love with? (*sneer*) Fuh-get about it, Eoin. If you're that confused about who should end up with (as am I) take my suggestion and leave everybody's love lives alone. That way ficcers can write (type?) their fingers off with fanfictions of their liking. Seriously. Take my advice. NOW.

Sorry if all this scares your fragile mind :lick: but it is Halloween :blush:
TAC
Spoiler:
'I must go,Butler,' said Artemis firmly.'My mind is eating me alive.I think the guilt is the main problem.I must do whatever I can to atone.'
'And?' said Butler,unconvinced.
Artemis held his arms out so that Foaly could drape the suit sleeves over them.
'And I will not be beaten by that jackass.'
'Jackass?'said Foaly,wounded.‘My favourite uncle is a jackass.'

From here
Spoiler:
If asked in class what the Avada Kedavra curse does, yelling "It does DEATH!" may be correct but is not the manner in which one should answer.
The proper way to report to Professor McGonagall is "You wanted to see me, Professor?" Not "I have it on good authority that you have no evidence."
I will not tell the Ravenclaws that they're basically useless because Hogwarts' smartest student is in another house.
I will not conjure up lemons and say-Life hath given thou LEMONS!

EA 2011 - The Member who is Always in the Know :D :D

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:32 pm

An evil laugh would have gone nicely there. Muahaha! Ahem...

Kit, I've heard so many things about you. It's nice to finally meet you. 8)
That probably is what he'll do (what Purple_Enigma bolded), but I actually don't think that it would be bad that way. I mean, that's probably the only way he could actually give in that there's something there without having them be together. And seriously, I guess that option is way better than the others that he's suggested.
New character...*shudders* :eyeroll:

Kitsune Heart wrote:Or, you know...sit here and cry profusely, and ignore your last two books.

Nicely said. But of course we won't be able to completely ignore them. We can still cling to the Orion-ness and his professions of love.

ILiveForTheDay wrote:As for seeing the LOTR I'm going to finish the books before starting the movies, but you should definately check out Lli's, Seen In a Certain Light. It's long, but totally worth it, and basically is a 'what would happen if Holly became human'. Very AH, but done in a totally realistic way: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5045938/1/b ... b_bLight_b

:scared: You've never seen LOTR?! *shun* *shakes head at ILive*
Oooh, I just had a good idea...I should read the tale of Beren and Luthien and bring evidence from that as well! See Eoin, the LOTR universe has two elf-human relationships! :lick:
I have to check out that fan-fic. Sounds good!
Edit: Oh dear lord there are 23 chapters? This will take me forever to read...
ImageImage Image

Obsessed with...Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Artemis Fowl, Maximum Ride, Avatar the Last Airbender....and proud
I am eternally greatful to xybolic for introducing me to Ouran High School Host Club, which I am now completely obsessed with!! :loveeyes:

"Haruhi and I are the main chracters, so we're obviously love interests!" - Tamaki, OHSHC

ILiveForTheDay
Golden Acorn Officer

Postby ILiveForTheDay » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:40 pm

lotrfan wrote:An evil laugh would have gone nicely there. Muahaha! Ahem...

Kit, I've heard so many things about you. It's nice to finally meet you. 8)
That probably is what he'll do (what Purple_Enigma bolded), but I actually don't think that it would be bad that way. I mean, that's probably the only way he could actually give in that there's something there without having them be together. And seriously, I guess that option is way better than the others that he's suggested.
New character...*shudders* :eyeroll:

Kitsune Heart wrote:Or, you know...sit here and cry profusely, and ignore your last two books.

Nicely said. But of course we won't be able to completely ignore them. We can still cling to the Orion-ness and his professions of love.

ILiveForTheDay wrote:As for seeing the LOTR I'm going to finish the books before starting the movies, but you should definately check out Lli's, Seen In a Certain Light. It's long, but totally worth it, and basically is a 'what would happen if Holly became human'. Very AH, but done in a totally realistic way: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5045938/1/b ... b_bLight_b

:scared: You've never seen LOTR?! *shun* *shakes head at ILive*
Oooh, I just had a good idea...I should read the tale of Beren and Luthien and bring evidence from that as well! See Eoin, the LOTR universe has two elf-human relationships! :lick:
I have to check out that fan-fic. Sounds good!
Edit: Oh dear lord there are 23 chapters? This will take me forever to read...

Trust me, it is so worth it. First time I read it through I cried at the end. It's that bittersweet.

As for the AHness in the last book, all I really want is some acknowledgement from both parties and if Colfer really wants a field day, another kiss. However if the kiss is the last line I would prefer it not be there at all. Forgetting my fangirly mind, this is not a series you label romance, and it would be a beneath the belt ending.
What's with my similes/analogy's in the last paragraph? Honestly.

It's ALIVE.

Kitsune Heart
Gremlin

Postby Kitsune Heart » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:08 pm

ILiveForTheDay wrote: However if the kiss is the last line I would prefer it not be there at all. Forgetting my fangirly mind, this is not a series you label romance, and it would be a beneath the belt ending.

Ya know...you think that...until you're in a relationship and about to break up with someone. Let me tell you, if there's still some feeling there, you WANT that kiss SO BAD. It's the one kiss you put all of yourself in to, so you can remember it for the rest of your life. I don't like the idea that the one kiss Artemis and Holly would have would be so spur-of-the-moment that he didn't really get what was going on for most of it. There needs to be an...acknowledgement. Some single moment where they agree that something is there, even if they aren't allowed to keep that something.

...well, on the plus, I never got my final kiss, and now I'm married to the guy. Whee!

Experience the Kit Effect. Warning: May result in liquids spurting from nose, multiple nights of no sleep, and lamentations in women.
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1512299/Kitsune_Heart
Spoiler:
Current major work: "In Another's Eyes"
Four terrifying words: "You are the father." When the last person in the LEP that ANYONE thought would ever hear those words finds himself having to face up to a new responsibility...will he rise to it or fall? And what must he lose to get what he wants?
Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5609233/1/In_Anothers_Eyes

ILiveForTheDay
Golden Acorn Officer

Postby ILiveForTheDay » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:05 pm

Kitsune Heart wrote:
ILiveForTheDay wrote: However if the kiss is the last line I would prefer it not be there at all. Forgetting my fangirly mind, this is not a series you label romance, and it would be a beneath the belt ending.

Ya know...you think that...until you're in a relationship and about to break up with someone. Let me tell you, if there's still some feeling there, you WANT that kiss SO BAD. It's the one kiss you put all of yourself in to, so you can remember it for the rest of your life. I don't like the idea that the one kiss Artemis and Holly would have would be so spur-of-the-moment that he didn't really get what was going on for most of it. There needs to be an...acknowledgement. Some single moment where they agree that something is there, even if they aren't allowed to keep that something.

...well, on the plus, I never got my final kiss, and now I'm married to the guy. Whee!

That would be a great moment in the book, so long as it wasn't the last moment. Especially if he's going to finish off the series it would just leave too many unanswered questions, and smutty fanfictions to be the right thing to do.

But he needs to inject AH. End of.

It's ALIVE.

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:47 pm

Kitsune Heart wrote:

I love you for all of what you said. So basically you are a perfect example of what can happen...
Anyway, I completely agree that if they are saying goodbye or whatever in the end, and they don't kiss, then you'll know that they so want to! It's so romantic!
But yeah, they need something to tell each other the truth! I hate it in TV shows when two character have so many secrets from each other and they each tell their friends that they want it but they don't know if the other person wants it, and then they end up missing their moments. Gah! Communicate people! Seriously!
ImageImage Image

15bubbles
Mud Man
Real First Name: J.H.

Postby 15bubbles » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:47 am

I think he should just leave the romance alone. Is it just too much to ask for one absolute-crazed-about favorite series that doesn't have main characters falling for somebody?
ILiveForTheDay wrote:As for the AHness in the last book, all I really want is some acknowledgement from both parties and if Colfer really wants a field day, another kiss. However if the kiss is the last line I would prefer it not be there at all. Forgetting my fangirly mind, this is not a series you label romance, and it would be a beneath the belt ending.

I partially agree with you. No kisses at all, but maybe a shaking of hands to symbolize how far they've gotten and kind of to really set the friendship thing in stone. I don't know. If there is a kiss and it's the last line, I'd forget any funny moments in that book and go on a rant.
Just forget my ravings.
When I'm stressed, I laugh. When I'm happy, I laugh. When I'm nervous, I laugh. If I find something funny, I can't stop laughing.

If you find any poisonous plants in your tea, just to let you know, it wasn't me.

Don't pop my bubbles. I'll get depressed.

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Axxonu

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:12 am

Purple_Enigma wrote:
Kitsune Heart wrote:Mmmm...today is one of those days where I completely imagine Colfer worrying for his "fragile mind" due to the fans. Yay for random inspiration. (er...got check fanfiction link in my siggy)

@ the one in bold:You go, girl!
@the one in italics:Ah, well, you'll just join the rest of us. That ain't bad. :p

No, but seriously, NO cliches. NONE. I will not STAND for anything less than awesome. New character who Arty falls in love with? (*sneer*) Fuh-get about it, Eoin. If you're that confused about who should end up with (as am I) take my suggestion and leave everybody's love lives alone. That way ficcers can write (type?) their fingers off with fanfictions of their liking. Seriously. Take my advice. NOW.

Sorry if all this scares your fragile mind :lick: but it is Halloween :blush:

Yeah, I would sort of prefer him to leave Art's love life open too (even though I'm an AH-er), because it's so much more fun to write romance fanfics when you can write it based more closely on canon. (: It would be sort of discouraging to write an AH fic when you know he's actually gotten without someone else...

His attraction to Holly has been there for a while but he hasn’t talked about it before and he develops an alter ego to express himself, in a courtly knight sort of way. Holly hates him being like this because it makes him completely useless at what he needs to do. Holly and Artemis are at completely different stages in their lives – Holly is 70 in fairy years – so while they can grow to like and respect each other they can’t be together. If you want that, read Twilight. There is a point in the series when they are briefly the same age and they kiss, but of course Artemis messes it up.

No! He couldn't have said that, I'm so disappointed... Not about AH not happening, but that he *actually* pulled the Twilight line. (No wonder AF fans disparage Twilight so much...) Like seriously, just because it's romance doesn't mean it's like Twilight, or that those of us interested in the AH romance are only interested in it because we are saps for any romantic story we happen to read.

The romance in AF is developed in a completely different way than it is in Twilight and the characters involved in the romance are completely different (Artemis and Holly are so completely independent people, with their own motivations and goals outside checking out the opposite sex). I suppose it's a bit arrogant of me to disagree with the author, but seriously Mr. Colfer, you seem to be completely underrating the work you have created and putting up limitations on 'where the series can realistically go' that don't need to exist.

Also, I wonder how he can say that they are at completely different stages of their lives, when Holly is really only a few years older than him in terms of *actual* ages? Their literal years are different, but Holly doesn't act like an eighty year old, she acts like she's in her early twenties. She was apparently sixty or so when they were 'the same age,' am I right?

ILiveForTheDay wrote:
Kitsune Heart wrote:

That would be a great moment in the book, so long as it wasn't the last moment. Especially if he's going to finish off the series it would just leave too many unanswered questions, and smutty fanfictions to be the right thing to do.

But he needs to inject AH. End of.

I can't imagine why he would do that, it would seem to make romance the central point of AF, which I don't think it is. It's just one element, so that would definitely come in a scene before the end if it was there at all, I think. I might rather they be together at the end and there not be a kiss at all rather than a 'good-bye kiss', though I suppose that's probably impossible...

I know! There has to be *some* AH to resolve everything that was going on in TTP and TAC. Even if they don't wind up together. Except I would really hate it if it was something like, Artemis is still attracted to Holly, but it's completely one-sided now because Holly's feelings completely vanished when she turned back into an adult.

For the first four books, I was so afraid that a romance would develop between them, and it was especially because I hated the idea of it starting out as Artemis developing some kind of one-sided crush on her. So I was really happy in TTP when Holly technically made the first move...

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:37 pm

Rocket Axxonu wrote:Also, I wonder how he can say that they are at completely different stages of their lives, when Holly is really only a few years older than him in terms of *actual* ages? Their literal years are different, but Holly doesn't act like an eighty year old, she acts like she's in her early twenties. She was apparently sixty or so when they were 'the same age,' am I right?

Yes, yes you are right. I swear, EC doesn't even know what he's saying at times. He's trying to disregard his own obvious-ness, and it's just not cool at all.

Rocket Axxonu wrote:I know! There has to be *some* AH to resolve everything that was going on in TTP and TAC. Even if they don't wind up together. Except I would really hate it if it was something like, Artemis is still attracted to Holly, but it's completely one-sided now because Holly's feelings completely vanished when she turned back into an adult.

For the first four books, I was so afraid that a romance would develop between them, and it was especially because I hated the idea of it starting out as Artemis developing some kind of one-sided crush on her. So I was really happy in TTP when Holly technically made the first move...

:laughing: That makes me laugh.
Yeah, it would not be good at all if Artemis was just in love with her and she has completely gotten over it. That's just so out of his character.
And of course we can't leave the last line as them kissing. That would just be ridiculous. I wouldn't be freaking out because I'd forget the funny moments, I'd be freaking out because that is not an ending! You would need to see what happens next!
ImageImage Image

Frondish17
Pixie
Real First Name: Liv
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Frondish17

Postby Frondish17 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:20 am

I don't necessarily mind a kiss at the end - maybe not the last line, but a really good kiss - even if it was just a closing up as in "this would never work, I'm sorry, but here's something to hang on to". *sniffle* That would be a tear-jerking ending as far as I'm concerned.

[/center]
Them, we liked

Return to “Artemis Fowl Talk”