Artemis Fowl: The Atlantis Complex !!SPOILER ALERT!!

This is the general Artemis Fowl talk section.
lotrfan
Commander

Re: Artemis Fowl: The Atlantis Complex !!SPOILER ALERT!!

Postby lotrfan » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:18 pm

Frondish17 wrote:I don't necessarily mind a kiss at the end - maybe not the last line, but a really good kiss - even if it was just a closing up as in "this would never work, I'm sorry, but here's something to hang on to". *sniffle* That would be a tear-jerking ending as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, I agree. I would love for them to kiss again, and I guess that would be a nice way for it to happen...(if they don't end up together)

ojelshain wrote:What romance books do you recommend for me? I've read the whole twilight series and fell head over heels in LOVE with them :) so I've been done with them for a while now, and I want to find another book or series that involves romance. Edward and Bella type romance, lol. Something addicting. What books would you recommend?

Umm...I think this question would be better posed in the Literature section of the forum. I don't know, a lot of things have romance. Maximum Ride has romance as a pretty prominent feature...
ImageImage Image

Obsessed with...Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Artemis Fowl, Maximum Ride, Avatar the Last Airbender....and proud
I am eternally greatful to xybolic for introducing me to Ouran High School Host Club, which I am now completely obsessed with!! :loveeyes:

"The same blood flows in my veins. The same weakness." - Aragorn, FOTR

"Don't worry Sam. Rosie knows an idiot when she sees one." - Frodo, FOTR

"Put aside the ranger. Become who you were born to be." - Elrond, ROTK

"Haruhi and I are the main chracters, so we're obviously love interests!" - Tamaki, OHSHC

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Axxonu

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:38 pm

ojelshain wrote:What romance books do you recommend for me? I've read the whole twilight series and fell head over heels in LOVE with them :) so I've been done with them for a while now, and I want to find another book or series that involves romance. Edward and Bella type romance, lol. Something addicting. What books would you recommend?

*going off topic* Yeah, this question should probably go in a different section. XD But while we're here, what about the Hunger Games series? It's not primarily a romance like Twilight, but it has lots of romantic elements. I also like The Host, another book by Stephanie Meyer...

lotrfan wrote:
Rocket Axxonu wrote:I know! There has to be *some* AH to resolve everything that was going on in TTP and TAC. Even if they don't wind up together. Except I would really hate it if it was something like, Artemis is still attracted to Holly, but it's completely one-sided now because Holly's feelings completely vanished when she turned back into an adult.

For the first four books, I was so afraid that a romance would develop between them, and it was especially because I hated the idea of it starting out as Artemis developing some kind of one-sided crush on her. So I was really happy in TTP when Holly technically made the first move...

:laughing: That makes me laugh.
Yeah, it would not be good at all if Artemis was just in love with her and she has completely gotten over it. That's just so out of his character.
And of course we can't leave the last line as them kissing. That would just be ridiculous. I wouldn't be freaking out because I'd forget the funny moments, I'd be freaking out because that is not an ending! You would need to see what happens next!

I hate to say this because it's sort of sad, but it would seem sort of... pathetic, almost, in a way that Artemis would not normally allow himself to appear/be. (like it wasn't sad enough to have to watch Orion) Although, if he assumes his feelings are one-sided, that would only contribute to his depression/Atlantis Complex, and he does show signs in TAC of his self-esteem being decidedly lower than it was in the other books...

Anyway, maybe the ending should be some clever line that ties it in with something that happened in the first book? I like the idea of bringing up something about Artemis and Holly's first meeting, where Artemis says “I don't suppose you'll consider peaceful surrender” and in a way, you could sort of read that as defining their entire relationship, since Holly's one of the few people Artemis can't walk all over just because he's so much smarter than them. X3 That would exclude a kiss, or anything *too* romantic, I would think. It would be too unnatural for the end of a non-romance series to be a kiss, lol.

leftfootfowl7
Gremlin
Real First Name: Chelsea

Postby leftfootfowl7 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:56 pm

Do you like angels? I would recommend the Fallen series by lauren kate (sequel: Torment) and hush, hush by becca fitzpatrick (sequel: Crescendo). My favorite is Hush, hush by the way. It is sooooo good.

Frondish17
Pixie
Real First Name: Liv
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Frondish17

Postby Frondish17 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:43 pm

leftfootfowl7 wrote:

Do you like angels? I would recommend the Fallen series by lauren kate (sequel: Torment) and hush, hush by becca fitzpatrick (sequel: Crescendo). My favorite is Hush, hush by the way. It is sooooo good.

There's a new book out about angels and romance - it's called Halo. It's really good, and the sequel is coming out or has already :)

[/center]
Them, we liked

sharkie
Crazy Cat Lady
Crazy Cat Lady

Postby sharkie » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:04 pm

Did you get my PM frondish?
*TEETH KNASH* The yellow ducks shall eat your socks in the nighttime
Took Jangrafess out my sig, clearly he doesn't appreciate old respect when he's pulling stunts like that
Raped your sig to tell you, that yes it is! ~AG
Who cares. - Someone

I want to verb your noun

POKEMON BEASTIALITY PWNS ALL (yes, that was me - Jangra)

SORREH, Niki, teal is my color. ^_^ *rape* BOLD FTW. - Voldylicious
i thought you needed new rape from me and i like this color so *rapes* (:
oohhh kittyyy, she's so orgasmically amazing. *rapes*

Celsica
Dwarf

Postby Celsica » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:51 pm

An ending kiss? I would definetely NOT like that.

But thinking of it, I would prefer an ending kiss to no-relationship-clearness. To keep with the tension of all the others book and never having it answered would definitely get in the bottom of my nerves.

So, in priority list, it would go like this:

- Good relationship explanation
-Ending kiss
- no clearness AT ALL
-Someone dying (Artemis or Holly)
"I'll spare you the details, but basically the smoking jacket is not smoking"
Neal Caffrey --- White Collar

bentj96
Ruler of the People
Real First Name: Steven
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Dark Star

Postby bentj96 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:03 am

I would stop reading Colfer's books immediately if it ended with a kiss. It would be analogous to Twilight in this sense. Artemis Fowl is simply put, not classified as part of the romance genre. It is a crime/fantasy series. For the male readers, which I would assume, is the majority, this would be just ridiculous. Even if half are female and the rest are male, an ending kiss would ruin it for the guys, therefore making the target group much smaller. A different ending, perhaps some type of cliffhanger would probably make more people happy. It shouldn't be an entire story waiting for us, but something for fanfiction writers to think about.

A good example that would make many happy, and allow fanfiction would include a plot to wrap the story up. Perhaps peace between humans and fairies. Maybe Opal dies. Or even Artemis. It might end with some romance, but not a gooey romantic type one since that wouldn't fit in at all. The best way to fit it in would be a note left on the doorsteps in the main foyer of the Fowl Manor or a message on Artemis' answering machine. Maybe one on Holly's; something that causes a revelation in one's head that reveals feelings that were once hidden. It caters to all, creates a good base for future books or fanfiction and wraps the main story up.

I'm going to make a poll for this.
Also known as Dark Star.

---98% of teenagers do or have tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.---

I WON the game.

Glow sticks glow when snapped. Why can't my leg?

"How? She gonna blink Morse code?" -Amaury Nolasco (Prison Break: The Final Break)

http://www.fanfiction.net/~lorddarkstar

15bubbles
Mud Man
Real First Name: J.H.

Postby 15bubbles » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:53 am

To the previous poster: I read your poll and responded. Your hypothesis is highly incorrect. There's about three girls for every boy here! Girls also outnumber boys (At least out of the active members.) by a large amount on EC. Let's see... Two or three boys and three to eight girls. O.K. not that much and it depends if you catch us on a weekday or weekend.

*ruefully* If the eighth ended with a kiss, there would be no need for you to stop reading the series. It would have already... ended.

Some of us have considered an Artemis-matyr plan, but unfortunately that would likely mean there'd be a rather lot of touchy-feely scenes to bawl over later. Just a few per book is fine for me, but romance, quiet moments and a dim, dark book is a little over much. When you are talking about Opal dying, I assume you mean the present one. The past one may not die or that'd be one very large paradox there.
When I'm stressed, I laugh. When I'm happy, I laugh. When I'm nervous, I laugh. If I find something funny, I can't stop laughing.

If you find any poisonous plants in your tea, just to let you know, it wasn't me.

Don't pop my bubbles. I'll get depressed.

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Axxonu

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:57 am

bentj96 wrote:I would stop reading Colfer's books immediately if it ended with a kiss. It would be analogous to Twilight in this sense. Artemis Fowl is simply put, not classified as part of the romance genre. It is a crime/fantasy series. For the male readers, which I would assume, is the majority, this would be just ridiculous. Even if half are female and the rest are male, an ending kiss would ruin it for the guys, therefore making the target group much smaller. A different ending, perhaps some type of cliffhanger would probably make more people happy. It shouldn't be an entire story waiting for us, but something for fanfiction writers to think about.

A good example that would make many happy, and allow fanfiction would include a plot to wrap the story up. Perhaps peace between humans and fairies. Maybe Opal dies. Or even Artemis. It might end with some romance, but not a gooey romantic type one since that wouldn't fit in at all. The best way to fit it in would be a note left on the doorsteps in the main foyer of the Fowl Manor or a message on Artemis' answering machine. Maybe one on Holly's; something that causes a revelation in one's head that reveals feelings that were once hidden. It caters to all, creates a good base for future books or fanfiction and wraps the main story up.

Lol, you know, there are probably boys who would like the kiss thing and girls who wouldn't. Just to clarify. (;

But I agree, I like your idea. Though it wouldn't necessarily have to be a note or a message, I like the idea of something that causes a revelation... and fodder for fanfiction is always a plus. That would keep people interested long past when the final book came out, which would be great. Actually, I confess that oftentimes the series that I like the most aren't about what's actually in them, but about what captures the imagination that makes me want to imagine new stories about the characters. When there is too much romance, I may enjoy reading it, but once the book's over I put it aside. When there is only hints and bits and I have to imagine the romance out for myself, that's when I get more involved.

Ooh, and the peace between humans and fairies part, that's a secret hope of mine. Though sadly I don't expect it to happen...
Last edited by Rocket Axxonu on Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Frondish17
Pixie

Postby Frondish17 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:09 pm

I agree with you. I think that it would be an amazing thing if Artemis kind of at least started down the road toward making peace between humans and fairies. I mean, he's a genius, couldn't he do it? It wouldn't have to describe exactly how it was done or even say it was done, but just the first step. And the cool thing is that since Artemis Fowl takes place in the modern generation (as in this year), if Arty did come up with a plan to reunite the humans and fairies, the readers could expect to see elves and centaurs walking around this world sometime in the near future ;P Fun prospect, right?

[/center]
Them, we liked

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:00 pm

Rocket Axxonu wrote:
bentj96 wrote:I would stop reading Colfer's books immediately if it ended with a kiss. It would be analogous to Twilight in this sense. Artemis Fowl is simply put, not classified as part of the romance genre. It is a crime/fantasy series. For the male readers, which I would assume, is the majority, this would be just ridiculous. Even if half are female and the rest are male, an ending kiss would ruin it for the guys, therefore making the target group much smaller. A different ending, perhaps some type of cliffhanger would probably make more people happy. It shouldn't be an entire story waiting for us, but something for fanfiction writers to think about.

Lol, you know, there are probably boys who would like the kiss thing and girls who wouldn't. Just to clarify. (;

But I agree, I like you idea. Though it wouldn't necessarily have to be a note or a message, I like the idea of something that causes a revelation... and fodder for fanfiction is always a plus. That would keep people interested long past the final book came out, which would be great. Actually, I confess that oftentimes the series that I like the most aren't about what's actually in them, but about what captures the imagination that makes me want to imagine new stories about the characters. When there is too much romance, I may enjoy reading it, but once the book's over I put it aside. When there is only hints and bits and I have to imagine the romance out for myself, that's when I get more involved.

Ooh, and the peace between humans and fairies part, that's a secret hope of mine. Though sadly I don't expect it to happen...

If it ended on a kiss I would be squeeing initially, but if it ended directly after that, I would be like "Are you :cursing: kidding me?!"

I kind of like the idea of it ending on a mild cliffhanger, but not really a cliffhanger, just more of like a, general things can still happen with these characters, in this universe. Mostly I would just want it to be like they have defined their relationship somehow, and they still work together just like always. Like, I would love if the last line was something like, "We've got a mission" (except way more creative than that...)

I feel like the humans and fairies living together in peace would jsut be weird, I would just love if Artemis can be almost viewed as a fairy, like he can just go down there whenever he wants, and he knows all their secrets or whatever.
ImageImage Image

Obsessed with...Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Artemis Fowl, Maximum Ride, Avatar the Last Airbender....and proud
I am eternally greatful to xybolic for introducing me to Ouran High School Host Club, which I am now completely obsessed with!! :loveeyes:

"Haruhi and I are the main chracters, so we're obviously love interests!" - Tamaki, OHSHC

Frondish17
Pixie

Postby Frondish17 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:45 am

it would be awesome if he could be viewed as a fairy, but I really honestly doubt that that would happen. I mean, the only one who really trusts him almost implicitly is Holly (and No1 of course but he'd trust a homicidal rabid werewolf if it said it was nice). Think about it - even Trouble Kelp doesn't trust him really. And he's known Artemis since book one (or known of him anyway). So that really wouldn't work either . . .

[/center]
Them, we liked

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:34 pm

Frondish17 wrote:it would be awesome if he could be viewed as a fairy, but I really honestly doubt that that would happen. I mean, the only one who really trusts him almost implicitly is Holly (and No1 of course but he'd trust a homicidal rabid werewolf if it said it was nice). Think about it - even Trouble Kelp doesn't trust him really. And he's known Artemis since book one (or known of him anyway). So that really wouldn't work either . . .

Well, yeah, I guess. Foaly likes him too, and I bet there are others. I know Trouble hates him, but maybe if Artemis like specifically saves Trouble's life (like personally) then he's start to like him. I can still see Trouble allowing him to come down whenever he wants (maybe with advanced warning, rather than just popping in the doorway) just because Holly trusts him and deep down he knows that he's helped them so many times. He grudge is mostly just personal isn't it? If it was a joint (council) decision, I bet they'd allow it.
ImageImage Image

15bubbles
Mud Man
Real First Name: J.H.

Postby 15bubbles » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:23 am

When you say "others", I personally think that catagory is few and rare. If you mean "others" as in, "won't shoot him or sue the LEP as soon as they see him", then, yeah, there's probably some like that. I think most of the general population's not going to be happy about it if it happened, merely because he's a human. No matter how many times he saves the world for them, the feeling's not going to be completely gone. I mean, he kidnapped Holly and pinged them and they won't forget. So, maybe he did save them from Koboi twice and brought back the demons. But what if the demons caused some problems? I mean, the money to pay for setting them up to be rehabilitated has to come from somewhere. Most likely their tax money. Now who was one of the people who brought them back? Hmm?
When I'm stressed, I laugh. When I'm happy, I laugh. When I'm nervous, I laugh. If I find something funny, I can't stop laughing.

If you find any poisonous plants in your tea, just to let you know, it wasn't me.

Don't pop my bubbles. I'll get depressed.

Frondish17
Pixie

Postby Frondish17 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:17 am

I have to agree with 15bubbles on this. Not many people would trust Artemis with a 24/7 visa to Haven. And even if Trouble did somehow end up overlooking his personal grudges and trusting Artemis with the plethora of fairy secrets under the earth (unlikely) then that still leaves the entire fairy population, many of whom - remember - are probably not even aware that Artemis Fowl exists. The LEP, sure, but the civilians were kept in the dark about a lot of the goings on.

And the idea about the demons causing problems: that in itself would probably be an extremely interesting eighth book - the demons are getting uppity, causing riots, worse than the goblins, going aboveground and attacking people and rumors are beginning to spread throughout the human world. Of course, because Artemis Fowl was the one who brought them back from Limbo, he would be the first one suspected of having "planned this from the beginning", you know what I mean?

I think I'm going to have to write a fanfic about that! :D Look for it - coming soon! . . . hopefully lol

[/center]
Them, we liked

Return to “Artemis Fowl Talk”