Artemis Fowl: The Atlantis Complex !!SPOILER ALERT!!

This is the general Artemis Fowl talk section.
Centaurboi2
Programmer in Purple
Programmer in Purple
Real First Name: Nick
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Centaurboi

Artemis Fowl: The Atlantis Complex !!SPOILER ALERT!!

Postby Centaurboi2 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:25 am

So in case you haven't noticed the crafty genius behind Artemis Fowl is ready to put out another book already. It's set to release on 13 July 2010(Preorder on Amazon). The news was brought to us by Kitsune Heart.

Edit: Confirmation!SPOILER ALERT!

Eoin revealed part of the plot at one of his book signings. Apparently Artemis develops a Fairy disorder that causes multiple personalities. Although not all personalities have been revealed we find out from Barnes and Noble Bookclubs that Artemis has become romantic, among various others, and is hitting on Holly(Eoin Colfer @ SciFi Bookclub Forum). When the book comes out we'll find out wether his friends leave him this way... or put him back to the prat he was.

Original Post
Spoiler:
From: "The Atlantis Complex" plot info (Colfer's talk at Keplar's)

Kitsune Heart wrote:Okay! So, I just got back from the Colfer signing/talk/Q&A at Keplar's in Menlo Park, and there is BIG NEWS.

He gave plot details on the coming book! I am trying to reproduce his story as closely to what he said as possible. It was pretty friggen funny.

A few months ago, Colfer got a call from his editor, asking how the next book was going. They were approaching a deadline and needed to get production under way. Colfer was barely into the book, which worried the editor, who asked if Colfer had anything for him to go on. Colfer said yes. The title: "The Atlantis Complex." The editor is appeased and goes off to work his magic.

A few weeks ago, Colfer receives a file from his editor and a note saying that the cover artist just finished the art. Colfer opens the file and...it's a picture of Artemis swimming through deep waters with a big city floating in the background.

Uh...oh....

See..."The Atlantis Complex" is not a place. It's a complex. As in a mental disorder.

In this book, Artemis develops a fairy mental disorder that is roughly akin to multiple personality disorder. And Artemis's new personality is...nice. Artemis all of a sudden becomes this really nice guy. Who can't plot to save his--or anyone else's--life. Which is inconvenient, because all of their lives are in danger. Artemis's friends must decide whether to let Artemis remain as he is...or make him the little prat he was in order to save the day.

Well...as I said, the cover art was done. Colfer looks at it and his editor mentions that it cost a lot of money. And...well...

"The Atlantis Complex" is now a book about Artemis with the Atlantis Complex...set in Atlantis.

Got to love the guy. Guess we'll be seeing more of the fairy realms, now! Sadly, he also said that the book is most likely coming out in August, not July, since he is a bit behind. Still...think this little tidbit will hold anyone over until then? If not...well...there's always fanfiction.

Go ahead a join the talk here!
Cookies and milk next to the stove. Be sure to stay out of trouble and wash your face before bed! :)
Love,
Mum

Knarpulous
Mud Man
Real First Name: Jade

Re: Artemsi Fowl: The Atlantis Complex !!SPOILER ALERT!!

Postby Knarpulous » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:39 am

Whee! Can't wait! :D I hope it's at least as long as the last two!

seleenermparis
Swear Toad

Postby seleenermparis » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:49 am

Yea, I am stoked too. I cannot wait to see how the possible plot plays out.
The Kiss
by S'Eleene Paris 11/18/09

A haze by the door
Hazel and blue eyes mirror
Healing Fireworks

bluesunrise
Bubbly Queen of Blue
AFC Fan Fiction Name: bluesunrise

Postby bluesunrise » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:10 pm

YESSSS!!! I am so stoked, I just can't wait!!

The Doctor/Rose=BEST SHIP EVER!

jenn-jenn
Atlantean
Real First Name: Jennifer

Postby jenn-jenn » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:10 am

Centaurboi2 wrote:It's set to release on 13 July 2009

Do you mean 2010?

I'm of course excited for another Artemis Fowl book, but I'm deffinetly not an A/H-er, so I'm not looking forward to any romance between the two.
"How can you lose time? ...Time doesn’t belong to anybody."

"The sea, the sea, the sea. It rolls and rolls and calls to me."

Sometimes, I wish we could completely delete the bad memories from our lives so we'd have more room for good ones. But then we'd all have memory loss problems.

BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter

Postby BkkprGirl » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:53 am

I'm quite excited, I love books about multiple personalities! But I really hope it's not extremely awkward with Artemis hitting on Holly.... I'm an A/H-er, but only to an extent....
"Stories are the only thing worth dying for."
~The Unwritten

Centaurboi2
Programmer in Purple
Programmer in Purple
Real First Name: Nick
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Centaurboi

Postby Centaurboi2 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:56 am

jenn-jenn wrote:
Centaurboi2 wrote:It's set to release on 13 July 2009

Do you mean 2010?

I'm of course excited for another Artemis Fowl book, but I'm deffinetly not an A/H-er, so I'm not looking forward to any romance between the two.

Yes I do, thank you :)
Cookies and milk next to the stove. Be sure to stay out of trouble and wash your face before bed! :)
Love,
Mum

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:39 am

squee!!!! (again) It's just so exciting! :shiny:

Yes! bring on the A/H! but not too strong.

Hehe, I can imagine Artemis blurting it out in front of everyone much to Holly's embarrassment.

*after an arguement in front of everyone*

Artemis: Well why did you kiss me then?!
Holly: O.O
Everyone else: WHAT?!!
Holly: *blushes really badly*... That... that's not the point!
Artemis: *embarrassed but secretly pleased*

nice. :laughing: I can so see that happening. That's the only way Artemis would tell someone, if it just came out. (or unless he's completely not himself with the disorder)
Can't wait!!
ImageImage Image

Obsessed with...Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Artemis Fowl, Maximum Ride, Avatar the Last Airbender....and proud
I am eternally greatful to xybolic for introducing me to Ouran High School Host Club, which I am now completely obsessed with!! :loveeyes:

"The same blood flows in my veins. The same weakness." - Aragorn, FOTR

"Don't worry Sam. Rosie knows an idiot when she sees one." - Frodo, FOTR

"Put aside the ranger. Become who you were born to be." - Elrond, ROTK

"Haruhi and I are the main chracters, so we're obviously love interests!" - Tamaki, OHSHC

Mastermind
Dwarf

Postby Mastermind » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:08 am

PLEASE stop squeeling this isn't Twilight, the relationship is JUST a SUBPLOT not the main focus of the book but most of you want romance? Wtf?! I know that most people on this forum are women but seriously come on.
The AF series is not a romance novel but a adventure/fantasy/sci-fi you know. I just hope there will be more Butler action (if I can't have a scheming Artemis) and I will be happy. I'm looking forward to july :shiny: .

kelly_holden
Sprite

Postby kelly_holden » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:36 am

A) We're reasonably confident that the adventure bit will be decent -- this is Colfer, after all -- so there's little need to talk about it. :laughing:
B) nearly all the spoiler details so far are about interpersonal stuff, so that's the conversational fire that's had the most fuel added to it.

I mean, as much as I both like A/H fic and would like A/H to be more canon, I'd be disappointed if a canon book had a plot like a romance fic, without the action and adventure and stuff. But, at this point in time, the romance subplot is most of what we have to talk about.
(Also, it's starting to sound like Jack O'Neill/Sam Carter -style dancing around each other, which I do not want; I'd like real progress or real moving on, please. Granted, I like A/H and was never fussed on Jack/Sam, but the time I stopped watching SG-1 I wanted to shoot one of them.)
Like Tolkien's creatures.
Artemis watched Holly stride towards the main doors.
If only, he thought. If only.

Due to it not supporting png transparency properly, my avatar will appear to have a light grey background if you use IE6. That's not what it's supposed to look like.

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:09 am

Mastermind wrote:PLEASE stop squeeling this isn't Twilight, the relationship is JUST a SUBPLOT not the main focus of the book but most of you want romance? Wtf?! I know that most people on this forum are women but seriously come on.
The AF series is not a romance novel but a adventure/fantasy/sci-fi you know. I just hope there will be more Butler action (if I can't have a scheming Artemis) and I will be happy. I'm looking forward to july :shiny: .

I can't help but squeal. It's so exciting! I'm not just squealing for the romance, I'm squealing for the whole book coming out!

Of course it's not just a romance, I love the action/adventure/fantasy/sci-fi jsut as much. Fantasy and sci-fi are my favorite types of literature and TV. (I'm obsessed with LOTR, Star Wars, ect.)
Adding the romance to it too just makes it all the more better. :loveeyes:
ImageImage Image

Obsessed with...Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Artemis Fowl, Maximum Ride, Avatar the Last Airbender....and proud
I am eternally greatful to xybolic for introducing me to Ouran High School Host Club, which I am now completely obsessed with!! :loveeyes:

"The same blood flows in my veins. The same weakness." - Aragorn, FOTR

"Don't worry Sam. Rosie knows an idiot when she sees one." - Frodo, FOTR

"Put aside the ranger. Become who you were born to be." - Elrond, ROTK

"Haruhi and I are the main chracters, so we're obviously love interests!" - Tamaki, OHSHC

jenn-jenn
Atlantean
Real First Name: Jennifer

Postby jenn-jenn » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:32 am

lotrfan wrote:Adding the romance to it too just makes it all the more better

But if it's awkward, or badly written (of course I have faith in Colfer's writing, but has he ever done romance? I've only ever read Artemis Fowl and the Wish List) then romance wouldn't add anything to the story, it'd just take away from the action/fantasy that drew most of us to the story in the first place.
"How can you lose time? ...Time doesn’t belong to anybody."

"The sea, the sea, the sea. It rolls and rolls and calls to me."

Sometimes, I wish we could completely delete the bad memories from our lives so we'd have more room for good ones. But then we'd all have memory loss problems.

Mastermind
Dwarf

Postby Mastermind » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:52 am

lotrfan wrote:
Mastermind wrote:PLEASE stop squeeling this isn't Twilight, the relationship is JUST a SUBPLOT not the main focus of the book but most of you want romance? Wtf?! I know that most people on this forum are women but seriously come on.

I can't help but squeal. It's so exciting! I'm not just squealing for the romance, I'm squealing for the whole book coming out!

Of course it's not just a romance, I love the action/adventure/fantasy/sci-fi jsut as much. Fantasy and sci-fi are my favorite types of literature and TV. (I'm obsessed with LOTR, Star Wars, ect.)
Adding the romance to it too just makes it all the more better. :loveeyes:

Yes, romance can't hurt an adventure book like if it's subtle and not the main focus. In LOTR and Star Wars the romance segments were nice and subtle and the characters were focused on the main story. TTP on the other had a kiss+romance (no plans+no Butler)... oh and there was something about saving Arty's mother somewhere but that's not important we had a A/H kiss *squeel* and that's what really mattered right?!
You see, when your think about LOTR the first thing that pops into mind is adventure, great battles, magic, elves... etc. and not Aragorns relationship. So what pops into your mind when you think about TTP ... :loveeyes: :loveeyes: :loveeyes: :loveeyes: lol see. Case closed.
If there will be subtle romance I don't mind (even if A/H would marry) but Eoin don't lose focus of the main story, book genre and character development.
Last edited by Mastermind on Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cat Moon
Commander
Location: HIVE - The Higher Institute of Villainous Education

Postby Cat Moon » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:47 am

I have to agree there, Mastermind - but we are squealing for the whole book!
Thankyou for my avvie, Rain! I luv it!!! :laughing:

Do not let the Cat out. No matter what I tell you. :shiny:

Never say that! Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! Because if we fail, I'd rather fail really hugely. All or nothing!
~Moist von Lipwig

+++Out of cheese+++Divide by Cucumber Error+++Please reinstall universe and reboot+++~Discworld

bluelagoon24
Atlantean
Real First Name: Caroline

Postby bluelagoon24 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:31 am

Here is Eoin Colfer confirming TAC from Keplar's :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4DxKipqDh4
♫ For here am I sitting in a tin can
Far above the world
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do...♫
-Space Oddity (David Bowie)

'Quan says I should go for less airy and more fairy'. ~ No 1

Return to “Artemis Fowl Talk”