Do you think TTP was darker then some of the other books?

This is the general Artemis Fowl talk section.
lotrfan
Commander

Re: Do you think TTP was darker then some of the other books?

Postby lotrfan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:03 pm

I don't know. It feels like it's time another character died. But killing off either Artemis or Holly would make the books really dark. So if he's trying to avoid that, it's probably not the best way to go. And I guess Artemis is too young to be killed off. I think Butler could though, no offense, and I love Butler, but I'm just saying.
ImageImage Image

Obsessed with...Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Artemis Fowl, Maximum Ride, Avatar the Last Airbender....and proud
I am eternally greatful to xybolic for introducing me to Ouran High School Host Club, which I am now completely obsessed with!! :loveeyes:

"The same blood flows in my veins. The same weakness." - Aragorn, FOTR

"Don't worry Sam. Rosie knows an idiot when she sees one." - Frodo, FOTR

"Put aside the ranger. Become who you were born to be." - Elrond, ROTK

"Haruhi and I are the main chracters, so we're obviously love interests!" - Tamaki, OHSHC

BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter

Postby BkkprGirl » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:38 am

Okay. Don't want to do this because it's continuing an off-topic discussion, but Romeo and Juliet was not even about love--it was supposed to be about immaturity. And also, it wasn't a cliche when he wrote it. Everyone else copied him. I just feel bad because most people miss the message and think "Oooh, Romeo and Juliet, they loved each other so completely..." If they'd been mature about it and loved each other like adults, with true love, they would've both made it out of the tomb alive. Sorry. It's one of my favorite Shakespeares--second after Hamlet.

ON TOPICNESS!!!

Yes, I agree that to make the next book darker and more serious than TTP's comical antics, someone needs to die. I wouldn't like it if Butler died, though. Butler's almost died so many times that it wouldn't be really surprising anymore. This needs to be someone it didn't already happen to, but someone close enough to home that it would actually matter....

Not Mulch. You can't kill off the comic relief... Not Foaly, either, because he's so nescessary in explaining things and I'd really wanted more of him...

Root was the perfect character to kill off. We all loved him, but we still cared about others a tiny bit more. He was in that perfect main character yet not totally vital role.

I hate to say this, and it may not even be the best choice because she hasn't been in the books since TEC, but what about Juliet? Butler would be off his guard afterwards.
"Stories are the only thing worth dying for."
~The Unwritten

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:45 pm

BkkprGirl wrote:
Yes, I agree that to make the next book darker and more serious than TTP's comical antics, someone needs to die. I wouldn't like it if Butler died, though. Butler's almost died so many times that it wouldn't be really surprising anymore. This needs to be someone it didn't already happen to, but someone close enough to home that it would actually matter....

Not Mulch. You can't kill off the comic relief... Not Foaly, either, because he's so nescessary in explaining things and I'd really wanted more of him...

Root was the perfect character to kill off. We all loved him, but we still cared about others a tiny bit more. He was in that perfect main character yet not totally vital role.

I hate to say this, and it may not even be the best choice because she hasn't been in the books since TEC, but what about Juliet? Butler would be off his guard afterwards.

I don't know. I don't think killing Juliet would be good because, like you said, she hasn't had much of a part. I mean, the only time she really did anything was in TEC and then she just never came back, so it would be weird for EC to just bring her back all of a sudden and kill her off. Plus, she's young.
I don't know, what you said is true, but those are the only people who we would really care if they died, so it would have to be one of them.
Maybe Mulch. I mean, yeah comic relief, but I never really liked Mulch, he's kind of annoying. But if he were to go out in a really heroic way, it might be cool.
Butler is the oldest though (well...you know what I mean). Maybe because we always think that he won't die, he actually will.
ImageImage Image

Obsessed with...Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Artemis Fowl, Maximum Ride, Avatar the Last Airbender....and proud
I am eternally greatful to xybolic for introducing me to Ouran High School Host Club, which I am now completely obsessed with!! :loveeyes:

"Haruhi and I are the main chracters, so we're obviously love interests!" - Tamaki, OHSHC

Joy
Mud Man

Postby Joy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:18 pm

ILiveForTheDay wrote:
xybolic wrote:
ILiveForTheDay wrote:Meh. Romeo and Juliet was a tradegy not a kid/teen fiction book. And it was definatly not my favourite Shakepere story.

Not my favourite either. It's my sister's favourite though. Simply because it's the ONLY book she's finished reading. I roll my eyes at her. She thinks that satirical play is romantic.

In what way? In my eyes it was the first cliche. (guy likes girl. Girl likes guy. Oh no they can't be together. Guess what? They get together. Then it all ends not-so-happily ever after)

What is your favourite?

(And I didn't recognise you with your new avvie)

OFF TOPIC:
wasnt romeo supposed 2 be lukin' 4 sum other chick(rose sumthng...???) wen he met juliet at da party...???
b'sides romeo n juliet was pretty stupid...i mean how can u fall in love wid a person at first sight...??...but u gotta thank Shakespeare n his romeo juliet...it made taylor swift famous....

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles
Real First Name: Katarina

Postby Kitsy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:24 pm

Joy, can you please stay on topic and also type in proper, full English.
Silly little foul black twisted heart I am!
http://superkits.tumblr.com

Mizora
Spartan Warrior
Real First Name: Uh...Guess?
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Spinnika

Postby Mizora » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:11 am

Yeah! How did we start talking about Romeo and Juliet in this thread?! Just goes to show how easy it is to stray from topic...
Anyway, if Artemis, Holly or Butler dies, I'll stop reading the series altogether! The books are nothing without them!!!
I LOVE Harry Potter!!!
˙ɯɐ ı sɐ ʇɹɐɯs sɐ ǝɹɐ noʎ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı ¿sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ uɐɔ
BIBLE = Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth
"Lol Mizzy. MIZZZZZY. MiZoRa's box. Pandora. Mizora. Muahahaha. Insane, eh?" - Purple_Enigma
An adventure is merely an inconvenience looked at the right way, while an inconvenience is an adventure looked at the wrong way. ~G.K Chesterton
http://www.fairytalenovels.com/
EA Awards 2011-Mr. Shiny award of 2011

I rock
Pixie
Real First Name: Ponmathi
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Captain Grammar

Postby I rock » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:49 am

I never thought AF books would have a dark ending, ut's just too funny
ImageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

I <3 The Blind Guardian....don't know what it is? GOOGLE TO DA RESCUE...
You can't spell Party without Arty....lolz
I <3 You
Yes, I mean you, you hunk...
AM I CREEPING YOU OUT YET?

Dontmovethefilesevil
Pixie
Real First Name: Does not exist
Location: Somewhere shooting 47 Avada Kadavra's at someone, also known as an AK-47.

Postby Dontmovethefilesevil » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:44 pm

I know this is brutal but I could really imagine Arty's parents getting killed off in this next book. According to the Amazon description, the disease is caused by a lot of stress placed on a person, and what is more stressful than haveing to defeat the person who killed your parents while they are going to destroy the world?This would really defend Colfer's current plot and influence major parts of the story.
ImageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.



Muahahahaha I am the evil ruler of the universe and will KILL you


"Do you know how many legs are on that stool, Arty? Three. Only three and that's not a good number for you. Not at all. Three is nearly as bad as four and we all know what four sounds like in Chinese, don't we?"The Atlantis Complex


GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.


Joy
Mud Man

Postby Joy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:08 pm

Kitsy wrote:Joy, can you please stay on topic and also type in proper, full English.

Sorry...(*looks sheepish*)

ON TOPIC:
TLC was the darkest if you compare it with the other books in the series till now...but if one means dark in the Deathly Hallows way then I don't think any book was dark...

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:57 pm

Dontmovethefilesevil wrote:I know this is brutal but I could really imagine Arty's parents getting killed off in this next book. According to the Amazon description, the disease is caused by a lot of stress placed on a person, and what is more stressful than haveing to defeat the person who killed your parents while they are going to destroy the world?This would really defend Colfer's current plot and influence major parts of the story.

hmm. That might not be too bad, but I think it would be better in the final book in the series (aka, not TAC, :P), because then it would give him a reason to just start a new life. I don't know why, how, or where (or with who), but it might be a good end. As opposed to everything is happy. Of course he can't really start a new life if he has to look after the twins, and they shouldn't die. But whatever. Actually it would probably be too dark to kill them. He should just leave because he grows up. idk.
ImageImage Image

Joy
Mud Man

Postby Joy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:25 pm

An author cannot necessarily have to kill off a character for a book to seem dark...it can be dark from various aspects...some examples being...a much more dangerous opal koboi teamed with a secret adversary...more threatening situations...much more at stake than just the threat of the magical world being being discovered by humans...a traitor feigning friendship...
but then i agree killing off a character might instigate the feeling of revenge in the person who had been close to him/her and that could make a book really dark.... :confused: :sad:
Last edited by Joy on Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lauren fowl
Dwarf
Real First Name: Lauren

Postby Lauren fowl » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:11 pm

That' true. Besides, I know for a fact that I would read the series even if Holly, Artemis, or Butler died...I'd just be stricken with grief. After the first read I probably wouldn't be able to read them anymore because the ink would run off of the pages due to all of my crying.(Medlodramatic moment...oops!)
I love you Sarah! You're my bbf!
I love you Sabrina! You're my bftilmtaoitw!!

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:34 pm

Lauren fowl wrote:That' true. Besides, I know for a fact that I would read the series even if Holly, Artemis, or Butler died...I'd just be stricken with grief. After the first read I probably wouldn't be able to read them anymore because the ink would run off of the pages due to all of my crying.(Medlodramatic moment...oops!)

I know. I would still read it, but how much of a plot could there be without Artemis or Holly? Without Butler they could do, because he's been slowly loosing face time, but unless Holly or Artemis comes back (like is brought back to life) then I don't think it could work, unless it was the finale.
ImageImage Image

Joy
Mud Man

Postby Joy » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:55 pm

lotrfan wrote:
Lauren fowl wrote:That' true. Besides, I know for a fact that I would read the series even if Holly, Artemis, or Butler died...I'd just be stricken with grief. After the first read I probably wouldn't be able to read them anymore because the ink would run off of the pages due to all of my crying.(Medlodramatic moment...oops!)

I know. I would still read it, but how much of a plot could there be without Artemis or Holly? Without Butler they could do, because he's been slowly loosing face time, but unless Holly or Artemis comes back (like is brought back to life) then I don't think it could work, unless it was the finale.

On the other hand i'd just fling the book aside if any of the main characters died...i read about someone saying that killing Juliet would be okay...i completely disagree because she is too full of life to get killed...even if we haven't seen much of her...

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:16 pm

Joy wrote:
lotrfan wrote:

On the other hand i'd just fling the book aside if any of the main characters died...i read about someone saying that killing Juliet would be okay...i completely disagree because she is too full of life to get killed...even if we haven't seen much of her...

Yeah, and I don't think killing her off would work because she's hardly in the books at all. So it would be stupid to bring her back all of a sudden and then kill her off.
I have a question, how long does Butler protect Artemis for? Because Artemis is growing up (and he's technically 18 ) so maybe in a few more books he'll actually move on with his life and not live with his parents anymore, and if Butler doesn't protect him when he grows up, then killing off Butler in the finale wouldn't be too bad. Because if Butler dies then Artemis will realize that he needs to move on and start his own life, and then that would be the end of the series. (or they could still continue the series without Butler, but he just wouldn't be living with his parents. I don't even know what he would do when he moves out of his parent's house. Would he go to college, or is he past that? I can't picture him just living on his own, but that's why he has Holly. XD
ImageImage Image

Return to “Artemis Fowl Talk”