Do you think TTP was darker then some of the other books?

This is the general Artemis Fowl talk section.
ILiveForTheDay
Golden Acorn Officer
Real First Name: ForeverDay

Re: Do you think TTP was darker then some of the other books?

Postby ILiveForTheDay » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:13 pm

I don't think just because offically Butler stops being his bodygaurd that it would automatically mean he's out of his life. I bet they'd keep him on as a cook or gardener, or maybe give him a house close by (close enough for if there's any trouble XD)

But I completely disagree with the whole 'if he's not Arty's bodyguard it doesn't matter if he gets killed'. I'm pretty attached to the big guy (yeah he's fictional, yeah I'm pathetic) and don't really care what part he plays as long as he plays a part. It's kind of like Foaly. He didn't really do anything in the last book, and I really missed his humor. If we have to kill some one why can't it just be Opal?
☺ ☻ ♥ ♠ ♣ ♦ • ◘ ♫ ☼ ☺ ♪ ♀ ◄ ↕ ‼ ► ↑ ↓ → § ← ∟ ↔ ▼ ▲ ! " £ $ % ^ & * ( ) _ + ¿

Grady: 'Cuz everytime you try to do something nice for us we end up sad
Nico: Or injured
Grady: Or in Mexico. . .

It's ALIVE.

xybolic
Pixie
Real First Name: Aji
AFC Fan Fiction Name: xybolic

Postby xybolic » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:20 am

ILiveForTheDay wrote:But I completely disagree with the whole 'if he's not Arty's bodyguard it doesn't matter if he gets killed'. I'm pretty attached to the big guy (yeah he's fictional, yeah I'm pathetic) and don't really care what part he plays as long as he plays a part. It's kind of like Foaly. He didn't really do anything in the last book, and I really missed his humor. If we have to kill some one why can't it just be Opal?

I agree with ILiveForTheDay. Butler is more than a bodyguard. He's been a very, very close friend to Artemis and a beloved father-figure. He's had a bit of influence over Artemis, and he sometimes instill good morals on him. He's not just a bodyguard; he's also family. The gang would not be the same if he's gone. I mean, it's okay if he dies, if necessary, but if he dies simply because it doesn't matter would be bloody pathetic.

RickW
Goblin

Postby RickW » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:39 pm

Yes, i definitely think it was much darker. I don't know why, but the book had a whole other feeling then the other books - the atmosphere was so different. I don't know how, maybe Colfer was still into the feeling of ''Airman'' or another book. It just didn't feel like the other books - but yea, that's my opinion :p
GREETINGS!!

Joy
Mud Man

Postby Joy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:25 pm

lotrfan wrote:
Joy wrote:
lotrfan wrote:
Lauren fowl wrote:That' true. Besides, I know for a fact that I would read the series even if Holly, Artemis, or Butler died...I'd just be stricken with grief. After the first read I probably wouldn't be able to read them anymore because the ink would run off of the pages due to all of my crying.(Medlodramatic moment...oops!)

I know. I would still read it, but how much of a plot could there be without Artemis or Holly? Without Butler they could do, because he's been slowly loosing face time, but unless Holly or Artemis comes back (like is brought back to life) then I don't think it could work, unless it was the finale.

On the other hand i'd just fling the book aside if any of the main characters died...i read about someone saying that killing Juliet would be okay...i completely disagree because she is too full of life to get killed...even if we haven't seen much of her...

Yeah, and I don't think killing her off would work because she's hardly in the books at all. So it would be stupid to bring her back all of a sudden and then kill her off.
I have a question, how long does Butler protect Artemis for? Because Artemis is growing up (and he's technically 18 ) so maybe in a few more books he'll actually move on with his life and not live with his parents anymore, and if Butler doesn't protect him when he grows up, then killing off Butler in the finale wouldn't be too bad. Because if Butler dies then Artemis will realize that he needs to move on and start his own life, and then that would be the end of the series. (or they could still continue the series without Butler, but he just wouldn't be living with his parents. I don't even know what he would do when he moves out of his parent's house. Would he go to college, or is he past that? I can't picture him just living on his own, but that's why he has Holly. XD

Artemis can have Butler for as long as he likes...its not mentioned anywhere that you cannot have bodyguards once you reach 18...remember? the Butlers have been serving the Fowls for centuries and Artemis Fowl Sr. was accompanied by Butler's uncle when he was abducted in Russia...so its perfectly alright to have a body guard for protection no matter what the age is...and yes...Butler being dead would come as a blow to Artemis because Butler's always been more like a father figure to him...

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:19 pm

I know, what I meant was that Artemis will eventually have his own house right, so once he's living on his own, he's still going to have Butler following him around everywhere? I mean, sure, he could, but I don't know, it just seems kind of weird. Of course, I can't even picture Artemis living on his own. I guess what I meant was moving out of his parents house, so Butler could come with. I'm actually completely re-thinking the Butler dying thing right now.
What I kind of meant was that if Butler happened to die, it would give Artemis a reason to move out. Not that we should kill him off just for the purpose of having Artemis move out.

Is Butler the whole family's bodyguard, or just personally Artemis'? He's just Artemis' right? OK, so maybe he could go live with Butler, but if Butler is like his father, then it would still kind of be like him living with his parents.

Oh, I don't know what I'm saying anymore.
ImageImage Image

Obsessed with...Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Artemis Fowl, Maximum Ride, Avatar the Last Airbender....and proud
I am eternally greatful to xybolic for introducing me to Ouran High School Host Club, which I am now completely obsessed with!! :loveeyes:

"The same blood flows in my veins. The same weakness." - Aragorn, FOTR

"Don't worry Sam. Rosie knows an idiot when she sees one." - Frodo, FOTR

"Put aside the ranger. Become who you were born to be." - Elrond, ROTK

"Haruhi and I are the main chracters, so we're obviously love interests!" - Tamaki, OHSHC

Kelsey Rain (:
Golden Acorn Officer
Real First Name: KelseyRain
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Kelsey Rain

Postby Kelsey Rain (: » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:07 pm

I don't think Artemis would ever move out of the Fowl Estate though. That's been in the family for generations. It's kinda like a high-society thing to remain in your mansion, even if your parents still live there.

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Sun May 02, 2010 1:41 pm

Kelsey Rain (: wrote:I don't think Artemis would ever move out of the Fowl Estate though. That's been in the family for generations. It's kinda like a high-society thing to remain in your mansion, even if your parents still live there.

Really? But he's not going to live with his parents forever. He has to grow up and move on eventually, but you're right, the Manor would definitely stay in the family. Maybe he'd just move back in after they died or something? I don't know.
ImageImage Image

Obsessed with...Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Artemis Fowl, Maximum Ride, Avatar the Last Airbender....and proud
I am eternally greatful to xybolic for introducing me to Ouran High School Host Club, which I am now completely obsessed with!! :loveeyes:

"Haruhi and I are the main chracters, so we're obviously love interests!" - Tamaki, OHSHC

Kelsey Rain (:
Golden Acorn Officer

Postby Kelsey Rain (: » Sun May 02, 2010 6:16 pm

No no, it's like how the royalty do. When you're that far up the high-class social status, you remain in your mansion/manor/castle/temple/submarine/whatever. Have you ever seen Princess Diaries, or What a Girl Wants? Or The Prince and Me? It's like that. They remain with their families. (What a Girl Wants is better though, because they're more close to the Fowl status)

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Wed May 05, 2010 6:24 pm

Kelsey Rain (: wrote:No no, it's like how the royalty do. When you're that far up the high-class social status, you remain in your mansion/manor/castle/temple/submarine/whatever. Have you ever seen Princess Diaries, or What a Girl Wants? Or The Prince and Me? It's like that. They remain with their families. (What a Girl Wants is better though, because they're more close to the Fowl status)

I've seen the Princess Diaries, but not the other two, so I have no idea what the comparison is.

But it just seems weird. I guess I see what you're saying though. That just makes it all the more better for having his parents die though, so he's not stuck living with them forever. That's really harsh though. Also, then he would have to take care of the twins, and that's just not Artemis.

Maybe he could keep the manor and kick his parents out? I don't know.
ImageImage Image

Joy
Mud Man

Postby Joy » Thu May 06, 2010 7:29 pm

lotrfan wrote:
Kelsey Rain (: wrote:No no, it's like how the royalty do. When you're that far up the high-class social status, you remain in your mansion/manor/castle/temple/submarine/whatever. Have you ever seen Princess Diaries, or What a Girl Wants? Or The Prince and Me? It's like that. They remain with their families. (What a Girl Wants is better though, because they're more close to the Fowl status)

I've seen the Princess Diaries, but not the other two, so I have no idea what the comparison is.

But it just seems weird. I guess I see what you're saying though. That just makes it all the more better for having his parents die though, so he's not stuck living with them forever. That's really harsh though. Also, then he would have to take care of the twins, and that's just not Artemis.

Maybe he could keep the manor and kick his parents out? I don't know.

I agree with Kelsey Rain... aristocrats generally don't follow the-moving-out-at-18 tradition...we have seen it happen in real royal families(by that i mean not fictitious ones)...and i have heard heirs who take care of their younger siblings...there probably would be a split in the property once the twins grow up...and whether if Arty kicks his parents out...i really have nothing to say...it really seems outrageous to me....

ILiveForTheDay
Golden Acorn Officer
Real First Name: ForeverDay

Postby ILiveForTheDay » Sat May 08, 2010 9:00 pm

And here I thought Fowl Manor was a mansion. I.E. And here I thought Fowl Manor was big enough for several families, and what exactly is so wrong with them all living together?

Grady: 'Cuz everytime you try to do something nice for us we end up sad
Nico: Or injured
Grady: Or in Mexico. . .

It's ALIVE.

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Sun May 09, 2010 5:55 pm

I don't know, it just seems weird. Doesn't it seem weird to anyone else?

Well, whatever. I guess it probably won't happen. I don't even remember how we got on this topic.

Anyway, back to the actual topic,

To everyone who's read the AC first chapter, anyone think it was dark?

Spoiler:
Honestly, I don't really ever think that anything in books is dark, but I guess killing off Vinyaya in teh first chapter (if she really did die) is pretty bad. And killing the entire ship of LEP people.
Plus, I guess Artemis's disorder, and how he's all paranoid about them betreying him is kinda dark too, idk.
ImageImage Image

Kelsey Rain (:
Golden Acorn Officer

Postby Kelsey Rain (: » Sun May 09, 2010 6:58 pm

Spoiler:
Ohmygod, I totally thought the first chapter was dark, but more suspenseful then dark. Like, it was SOO intense, that I had to stop reading, get up, go to the mall for 4 hours, come back, and finish read just to relieve myself. :laughing:

But yeah, the whole part where Eoin describes the LEP shuttle melting and all the soldiers inside burning to death was pretty dark! And poor Holly too. She's injured badly and can't even get to Artemis, while he's going off getting himself killed and thinking it's all an illusion. Hmph. Can't WAIT for the book :D

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Wed May 12, 2010 9:19 pm

Kelsey Rain (: wrote:
Spoiler:
Ohmygod, I totally thought the first chapter was dark, but more suspenseful then dark. Like, it was SOO intense, that I had to stop reading, get up, go to the mall for 4 hours, come back, and finish read just to relieve myself. :laughing:

But yeah, the whole part where Eoin describes the LEP shuttle melting and all the soldiers inside burning to death was pretty dark! And poor Holly too. She's injured badly and can't even get to Artemis, while he's going off getting himself killed and thinking it's all an illusion. Hmph. Can't WAIT for the book :D

Spoiler:
How could you possibly stop reading right in the middle?! That would kill me!

I know, I didn't know the first chapter would have so much death in it, I mean, I wanted someone to die later, not in the first chapter. (wow, that makes me sound really evil...)

But seriously, I think Artemis' out of character-ness was scarier than the deaths.
Last edited by lotrfan on Wed May 12, 2010 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage Image

Kelsey Rain (:
Golden Acorn Officer

Postby Kelsey Rain (: » Wed May 12, 2010 9:22 pm

lotrfan wrote:
Kelsey Rain (: wrote:
Spoiler:

How could you possibly stop reading right in the middle?! That would kill me!

I know, I didn't know the first chapter would have so much death in it, I mean, I wanted someone to die later, not in the first chapter. (wow, that makes me sound really evil...)

But seriously, I think Artemis' out of character-ness was scarier than the deaths.

What's creepier, was that he was out-of-character, WHILE BEING SO IN CHARACTER.

Return to “Artemis Fowl Talk”