AF Talk Forum RULES.

This is the general Artemis Fowl talk section.
Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles
Real First Name: Katarina

AF Talk Forum RULES.

Postby Kitsy » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:15 pm

Recently we have noticed a particular slip in the quality of discussion in the AF Talk area. In the past we have allowed members to get away with slight off-topic discussion but the amount of off-topicness and just spam in general has gone beyond what we can allow.

Over the next few days certain threads will be locked and warnings handed out to those users who have consistantly broken the rules here. Please stick to an approximately 50 - 100 word per post rule; of course, sometimes 100 words doesn't work and we don't want meaningless nonsense. We just want to eliminate spam and pointless discussion.

In some of the threads we are going to lock we have seen discussions about other topics start up in them; if you feel that these are decent topics, feel free to start new threads about them.

We apologise for not taking better care of this forum before, but I can assure that we are going to start now. For the time being, anyone who breaks the rules within this forum will get an automatic warning on their account, with no unofficial or verbal warning.

Thank you for reading, and I hope you'll help us in cleaning this place up a bit!
Silly little foul black twisted heart I am!
http://superkits.tumblr.com

sharkie
Crazy Cat Lady
Crazy Cat Lady

Re: ATTENTION: AF TALK FORUM.

Postby sharkie » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:34 pm

I have only locked the spammy threads on the first page. Just because none of the earlier threads have been locked, it doesn't mean that they aren't nonsense. If any bad threads resurface, they will be locked just the same.
*TEETH KNASH* The yellow ducks shall eat your socks in the nighttime
Took Jangrafess out my sig, clearly he doesn't appreciate old respect when he's pulling stunts like that
Raped your sig to tell you, that yes it is! ~AG
Who cares. - Someone

I want to verb your noun

POKEMON BEASTIALITY PWNS ALL (yes, that was me - Jangra)

SORREH, Niki, teal is my color. ^_^ *rape* BOLD FTW. - Voldylicious
i thought you needed new rape from me and i like this color so *rapes* (:
oohhh kittyyy, she's so orgasmically amazing. *rapes*

Mastermind
Dwarf

Postby Mastermind » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:16 pm

Yeah, there we actually had pages of dialog in this almost dead part of the forum, we can't have that now can we so let's lock all the threads. GREAT IDEA now I see why you people are the moderators :glaring: (yeah I said that) and I don't give a damn if you ban me.

(Oh and I noticed Sharkie that you always come here one a month for a few days and lock threads = PMS-ing much :laughing:)

Good day and good bye.

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles

Postby Kitsy » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:40 pm

Funny how one of the members that's been drawn up for spamming is the one to say this. The threads we have locked may have been full of dialogue but it was mostly spam and off-topic posts - starting with the ridiculous "image spam" where members just post images that have absolutely no relation to the topic.

This is also not a "dead forum," as you put it, because as far as I see there are plenty of threads in here with real discussion.

I am attaching a warning to your account, Mastermind, for extensive spamming and for being rude and sarcastic to a moderator who is trying to clean up the mess members like you have made. If you make another rude comment you will be banned - I don't care if you don't care about being banned, at least you won't be making any trouble.

I urge all other members to politely PM me if they have any concerns.

Fatebringer
Atlantean

Postby Fatebringer » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:54 pm

so we're allowed to restart threads?

I'm sorry, but I might find it difficult to type 50-100 words every post... Is it bad to say that's a little too strict?

I really like this site, and I don't know why some of those threads were locked... If this gets too out of hand, I might have to leave... (No offense)

How long will this (no better way to put it) "demi-Martial Law" last?

was that 50 words? I'll probably have trouble remembering that...

questions through
On the wind,
In the stars,
With the force!
Bringing chaos and destruction with a spring in my step,
Dashing hope with vigor and pep!

A spring by any other name is just as hot!
I need to relax. I want what you've got!

Putting me at ease and you in your place!
I’m Acario,
In your face!

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles

Postby Kitsy » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:01 pm

You can restart a thread if:
a) the topic is relevant to the forum and can be discussed
b) there will be no spam in it
c) if one, now locked, topic had gone onto a different discussion which was off-topic but you think it warrants a new thread.

However, if we feel that the thread is failing or getting out of hand, then we will lock it again. Please just think sensibly.

As long as you are discussing or debating a topic, with quality posts then that's fine - 50/100 words is a guideline, but it is not too strict. Please try to stick to it. No spamming, no picture-spamming, no going off-topic etc. Basically, go through the threads that have been locked and try to see where you went wrong and avoid doing it again.

This is not getting out of hand - we are taking steps to clear this forum because it was spammy. We'd already put up a warning stickied thread in August (I just took it down) and no one listened to it, so we did give warning. If you think this is too strict then feel free to make a complaint or leave - this is how we run things. It is not martial law - it is just common, standard quality of discussion that we are trying to implement.

Fatebringer
Atlantean

Postby Fatebringer » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:08 pm

these guidelines only count for this forum, right?

er... that was all I'm going to say... how do I post 50 words?
On the wind,
In the stars,
With the force!
Bringing chaos and destruction with a spring in my step,
Dashing hope with vigor and pep!

A spring by any other name is just as hot!
I need to relax. I want what you've got!

Putting me at ease and you in your place!
I’m Acario,
In your face!

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles

Postby Kitsy » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:17 pm

Well, the no spam is a forum-wide rule but yeah, it's the five word guideline else where (apart from the Debate Forum, I think).

50 words isn't as hard as you think - you don't need to get it word perfect. I mean, look at this post that I'm making now. Wanna know how many words it is? <--- 58 from there. Not much, is it? Only three or so lines.

tahtswutshesed
Pixie
Real First Name: Casey

Postby tahtswutshesed » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:55 am

Good. There are some threads that I used to be involved in on here, but have discontinued posting in because of the spammy quality of some of the discussions. And it only seems like it's harsh, Fatebringer, because they haven't stopped all of the off-topicness in a while (no offense at all, mods). I'm glad this is happening.
"Mom! Haruhi's using foul language!"
"'Mom' being...?"
"Position-wise, probably me."
-OHSHC

"Don't call me Julius! You always do that before you disobey me!"
-TOD

"Hufflepuffs are particularly good finders."
"What the hell is a Hufflepuff?
-AVPM

"Oh great. Just what this team needs, another smartass."
-TLC

My page on FF.Net: http://www.fanfiction.net/~tahtswutshesed
My official fan art: http://rad-mania.deviantart.com/
Spoiler:
Yeahhhh, I'm an A/Her. And I'm NOT a freak.

xybolic
Pixie
Real First Name: Aji
AFC Fan Fiction Name: xybolic

Postby xybolic » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:35 am

I've actually been sad all night about the locked threads. But I got over it. Admittedly, the Off-topicness had gone quite out-of-hand. And a new thread is good, since it's cleaner and clutter-free. I've appreciated the handling of this forum after a while. Thanks.

And Fatebringer, if you type things concerning the actual topic, 50-100 words aren't hard to do. You can even exceed.

IzzyTehMuse
Applied Phlebotinum
Applied Phlebotinum

Postby IzzyTehMuse » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:25 pm

Yeah, fifty words really isn't a big deal. This is just a way of ensuring that people really do put forth complete thoughts and have good conversation. Also, like Kitsy said: if you are somewhere in the vicinity of 50 words, I'm sure the mods won't jump all over you. (<-- 50 words)

House cleaning is a good thing and I think that it is good to consolidate some of the little fragmented threads into one big one so that we can minimize clutter and direct people clearly to where they will get answers and discussion rather than some little out of the way thread that is oriented around a tiny specific issue. This will also make it easier to discuss without risk of being offtopic.

Shorter version:
Don't freak out, it is good for you. :) Believe it or not, we aren't trying to be the big bad killjoys. Just bringing some order to the chaos that inevitably results from having many people in one local.
"Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all of those things—trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones[." - Puddleglum, The Silver Chair

"I have had to believe a great deal in God because I have lost my belief in men." -Elias, Noli Me Tangere

"The price of freedom is learning to coexist with that which you hate." -- My
cousin.
*rapes* I love you, Izzy. :P

silverphoenix
Elf

Postby silverphoenix » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:32 am

Good idea moderators. I've noticed that a lot of people have been making random posts that are off-topic, but no one seems to be calling them out lately. It's nice to see that the moderators still care about the quality of the forums. Spam is very irritating and it makes the thread look unattractive and unintelligent. It's okay to be a little off topic once in a while (the human attention span is very short), but once it becomes a habit it is a source of great annoyance to all the members who want to have a serious discussion on the topic. I think a lot of spamming has to do with post count and rank. People want to move up as quickly as possible, so they accumulate 200 posts a month, but 50% of it is usually rubbish...
"Did someone say Draco Malfoy?"

AF fan BIG time
Tunnel Blue Spider
Real First Name: Not Available
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Dr. Atom bomb
Location: To your right, take five steps then turn around and their I am. No you didn't do it right.

Postby AF fan BIG time » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:04 am

I am soooooooooooo glad that there will be less off topicness and less spamming thanks. :laughing:

tahtswutshesed
Pixie
Real First Name: Casey

Postby tahtswutshesed » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:43 pm

I have a quick question, and I know it won't be 50 words, but what happens to locked threads? Do you guys eventually delete them? I'm only asking 'cause sometimes, I don't see the locked symbol on the side at first, and I go into the thread, only to see that it was locked. And the answer I had prepared goes to waste. And I "ohhhhhh" lol. :hmm:
"Mom! Haruhi's using foul language!"
"'Mom' being...?"
"Position-wise, probably me."
-OHSHC

"Don't call me Julius! You always do that before you disobey me!"
-TOD

"Hufflepuffs are particularly good finders."
"What the hell is a Hufflepuff?
-AVPM

"Oh great. Just what this team needs, another smartass."
-TLC

My page on FF.Net: http://www.fanfiction.net/~tahtswutshesed
My official fan art: http://rad-mania.deviantart.com/
Spoiler:
Yeahhhh, I'm an A/Her. And I'm NOT a freak.

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles

Postby Kitsy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:22 pm

If it's a problem, I'll move them to the Bin asap.

Return to “Artemis Fowl Talk”