What AF couple do you ship ?

This is the general Artemis Fowl talk section.
NerdGurl
Gremlin
Real First Name: Kaeli
AFC Fan Fiction Name: NerdGurl

Re: What AF couple do you ship ?

Postby NerdGurl » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:11 am

RickW, you're so right. Artemis Fowl is not a romance. I mean, sure, Holly and Artemis kiss. But that's more of a 'Yay, you're not dead' kiss. And Artemis and Holly are disgusted afterwards.

Athena32
Goblin
AFC Fan Fiction Name: MyshiCorp

Postby Athena32 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:02 pm

I think that Trouble and Holly would make a cute couple. You would have to change trouble's character a bit, and make him more interesting and a bit kinder, but it could work out. Plus, they're THE SAME AGE AND SPECIES!
Arty and Holly should never happen. In TTP it was okay, because it said when they first arrive that Holly was, in human terms, barely older than Artemis. Other than the age difference (Holly's human age is about 30 in my mind, whereas Artemis is 15), they age at different rates, and a fairy-human relationship will never last super long, as we saw in TAC.
Holly and Mulch is just gross, in my opinion. Holly is so infuriated by him she would never even think about a relationship.
Opal and a Swear Toad is entertaining, but it brings up some questions that I think are better not asked.
I think Holly and Trouble are the best match, as long as Holly stays independent and doesn't turn into a helpless female character. Holly is very masculine, for lack of a better word, and it's hard to imagine her any way else
I'm fine, seeing as you asked.-Foaly
Gnommish… Gnommish… What blasted translation system doesn’t have Gnommish?

D-Butler
Swear Toad
Real First Name: Kimberly

Postby D-Butler » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:53 pm

D-Butler wrote:*Cracks knuckles* This may be a while...

Butler/Me
Butler/Angeline
Juliet/Artemis
Artemis/No-one
Butler/Vinyaya
Vinyaya/Root
Vinyaya/Foaly
Juliet/Trouble
Holly/Trouble
Vinyaya/Turnball
Vinyaya/Grub
Butler/Holly

Recently Holly/Root has been becoming a favor of mine again. Add that to the list. :.)))

Athena32
Goblin
AFC Fan Fiction Name: MyshiCorp

Postby Athena32 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:28 am

I can't really see a Holly/Root relationship. I think that their relationship (before he... I can't figure out how to do a spoiler thing, so I won't say it) was more of a boss/worker or father/daughter mentality. In a relationship, he would most likely try to order her around. She would inevitably push back, causing conflict. Root is also way older than she is, by (correct me if I'm wrong) about 90 years. Same thing with Artemis/Holly, except she's older than him.

Trouble and Holly have spent most of their friendship as equals, so I think they could transition to a romantic relationship more easily.

Also, Vinyaya/Grub? She deserves better. Same with dating Foaly, Butler (better, but still strange), or Turnball. I could see her with Root.

Angeline's already married. Sorry, Butler!

Arty/No one I second. At least, no one from the books. And nothing until he's much older. Minerva is okay, but she's kind of bratty.

My final list is:
Holly/Trouble
Vinyaya/Root
Artemis/OC
I'm fine, seeing as you asked.-Foaly
Gnommish… Gnommish… What blasted translation system doesn’t have Gnommish?

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Axxonu

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:35 am

Yeah, Holly/Root...I can't say I'm a huge fan of that. I think it's clear from the books that they're relationship has more of a father-daughter feeling to it. If I had to equate their relative ages to human ages, I would say Holly is in her twenties, and I would put Root in his fifties. (Because he's described as having gray hair, but he still seems to be fairly physically active.) As far as their actual ages, Holly is in her eighties, and I don't think we know Root's age, except that he's significantly older than five hundred. (Because I think Foaly makes a comment about what Root was five hundred years ago, and comments that, 'he was no spring chicken then.')

As for Holly/Artemis, I don't really count actual age differences, because fairies age differently than humans do. It's more about what stage of life they're in—Artemis is still an adolescent, while Holly is an adult, and that's really the issue in their age differences. But if you fast-forward a few years, and Artemis is in his twenties, then he and Holly are essentially in the same periods of life. Of course, an interspecies relationship would have all kinds of difficulties that a relationship between individuals of the same species wouldn't have, the different aging rates being a major one. (Holly will still be essentially in her twenties when Artemis is an old man...it may be romantic to say that none of that matters when two people are in love, but that's not the kind of a problem to be taken lightly.)

Yeah, I think Holly/Trouble is one of the more natural pairings. Along with Artemis/Minerva. I think it could have worked if Colfer had decided to go in that direction, and I really think starting with book three, he was intending to go in a slightly H/T direction. But he kind of followed the story, and it just didn't happen to turn that way. (Or at least, that's always been my impression based on his interviews I've read.)

Yeah, a certain fanfiction really made Grub/Vinyaya popular for some reason. XD But yeah, I feel like that's the kind of pairing you'd see more as a gag at the end of a movie than would actually work...Vinyaya/Root, I could totally get behind that. I feel like they have similar values and are in similar walks of life (Vinyaya is described as 'barely middle aged,' so even though she's obviously younger than Root, they'd be about the right ages). But I feel like there would still be enough tension in the relationship to keep an audience interested. (Let's face it, almost any kind of relationship with Root probably involves some tension. xD! Holly, Foaly, Artemis...)

I've always liked Artemis/Minerva. Minerva does kind of give off that spoiled, rich-girl vibe, but then...so does Artemis a lot of the time. XD! (That scene in the restaurant where he bullies the waitress...and the way he bullies the psychiatrists...ohh my. Funny, but...I do feel like he's earned himself a lot of lectures. And actually, Artemis seems worse and less empathetic than Minerva early on, to some extent.) But I feel like Artemis sort of matures over the course of the series, and I would have been interested to see a fifteen-year-old Minerva, and how she might be different from twelve-year-old Minerva. (A really lovey-dovey relationship wouldn't work for them, considering their personalities, but something kind of reserved and clinical...and of course, lots of scientific jokes that nobody thinks is funny but them. ;9)

A/H is still my favorite pairing though, and the real reason AF is one of my favorite series. I love the way their friendship is developed slowly and believably, and, strangely, the way there really didn't seem to be a possibility of a romance in the early books between them. (I was definitely against the idea in the early books, and I had a particularly morbid fear that Artemis would develop a kind of adolescent crush on her, that obviously Holly, being an adult, would not in anyway return. [I guess sort of similar to those stories where you have a twelve-year-old kid crushing on one of his teachers. Believable and natural really, but I didn't want to see that happen to Artemis.]) They seem a very odd couple (they aren't a good physical match by any stretch of the imagination, and you can't imagine them looking good together), which strangely, is one of the things I like about it. It's different from many typical romance, where one or both characters have some initial attraction based on looks. Plus the differences in their species would cause them some very real hardships if they ever had a relationship, so to make it work, they would have to have a particularly strong bond and make fairly significant sacrifices, which is intriguing in terms of the potential story ideas.
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [Post TAC]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28912232/Artemis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

GMontag
Swear Toad

Postby GMontag » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:52 am

I skimmed over some of the early posts here about Minerva/RandomSkierGuy, and now I'm tempted to flesh out how exactly that happened. Because it can't just be ANY random skier, right? It is Minerva on the other end, after all. Maybe he's an astronaut. Or a high society socialite. Or James Bond. (Hm, Minerva as a Bond girl....)

Eh hem, anyway.

I've only ever really shipped H/A. There's great short-term entertainment potential in them trying to figure out how things would work (I think AgiVega's stories come to mind). I do see serious issues with the relationship long term, but that makes for more interesting story-telling! In any case, theirs is by far the most well-developed relationship in the series, so all headcanon aside, I still think H/A would be the most natural pairing to come up if things progressed along.

I never really liked A/M for the longest time, but that's mostly because I really didn't like Minerva. I'm still mostly of the opinion that she was a wasted opportunity in the series, because A/M would have otherwise been the most "natural" (if almost stereotypical) pairing. I don't think it's particularly common for a pair to come up in literature where both parties are of the A/M intelligence level, so it'd be pretty neat to see how that would work out. I'm probably less against this pairing now than I was before, but that's only because Minerva kind of got a life of her own in my head and is much more fleshed out.

(Shameless plug for "The Forgetful Angel" - a story I wrote a few months ago on FF.net about a love/friendship triangle-thing between the above!)

Oh, and I guess I do ship Grub/Vinyaya after Kitsune Heart's dramatic romance take on the elves of Haven. =)

Chitiliti
Commander
Real First Name: Cait
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Chitiliti

Postby Chitiliti » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:01 am

When I was younger I really shipped A/H and also H/T and couldn't really choose between the two, but as I got older, I found that the dynamic between holly and artemis made a romantic relationship feel a little inappropriate. For a large part of the series, Artemis was a child and looking back on it now, it feels weird? If I do read any fanfic with this ship, I can really only reconcile it if Artemis is aged up. (Plus, also, the height difference is not very aesthetically pleasing lol). So, I guess my endgame ship would have to be Holly and Trouble.

X~Emma~X
Cave Troll
Real First Name: Emma
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Fowl Love

Postby X~Emma~X » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:53 pm

Uh, hmmmmm...
I think Holly and Artemis.
Definitely.
:loveeyes: :shiny: :blush:
I LOVE ARTEMIS FOWL!
Spoiler:
'Of course I saved you,' she said. 'I couldn't do without you.' And because she was happy and flushed with magic, Holly leaned down and kissed Artemis, magic sparking around the contact like tiny fireworks. :loveeyes: :loveeyes: :shiny:

"No, mademoiselle, I would not like to see the children's menu. I have no doubt that the children's menu itself tastes better than the meals on it."- Artemis

GravityNeon
Cave Troll

Postby GravityNeon » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:45 pm

A lot of A/M shippers here. Not that I hate it, I just think that Minerva could be developed a lot more and would be a great as an independent person. She's smart, she's pretty, doesn't mean she needs a guy. I would like to see her win the Nobel prize and become a UN representative or something. Maybe an ambassador between the People and the humans! (I'm an A/H or H/T shipper BTW. Having trouble deciding...)

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:30 am

Yeah, although I think there are a lot more A/H shippers, a lot of people are still behind A/M from The Lost Colony. I know what you mean though, to some extent, I don't know if Minerva necessarily needs to be paired up with anybody, I think she's a pretty awesome and interesting character on her own. (Or at least, she has the potential to be. Again, I'm disappointed we didn't get to see a fifteen-year-old Minerva from after Artemis and Holly got back from Hybras. Her name wasn't even mentioned. x3) In fanfiction, I notice people like to stereotype her as some girly, fangirl type, but that really doesn't fit the way she's portrayed in The Lost Colony. (She really is like Artemis, cool, calculating, and even a little ruthless to some extent. She is interested in Artemis like he's interested in her, but mostly she's suspicious and she puts her goals before all else.)

I could definitely see Minerva as an ambassador between the People and humans, I imagine she could learn to be a pretty skilled negotiator. (Actually, that reminds me of a fanfiction I've read. (; GMontag here wrote one called 'The Book of the Ages,' in which Minerva is part of a society called the Humanes, who secretly provide aid to the fairies. (After they were discovered by the humans and suffered tremendous losses in the following war.) That's probably my favorite fanfiction portrayal of Minerva I've seen, though freudwithwings (a writing duo who works together)'s The Fowl Team is a close second. (In which Minerva is a sharp-tongued lawyer, who is irritated to often find herself forced to come to Artemis and Holly's rescue in various situations.)

I definitely lean toward A/H, I love the way that bond was built up over the course of the entire series. However, I do also like H/T, and there is support for that in the series. Holly does have a pretty significant connection to Trouble, in that they obviously have a ton in common, and Trouble was one of the first people to really kind of root for her, during her initiation as recon captain.
Last edited by Rocket Axxonu on Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [Post TAC]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28912232/Artemis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

Troublelover16
Commander
Real First Name: Faith
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Troublelover16

Postby Troublelover16 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:10 pm

GravityNeon wrote:A lot of A/M shippers here. Not that I hate it, I just think that Minerva could be developed a lot more and would be a great as an independent person. She's smart, she's pretty, doesn't mean she needs a guy. I would like to see her win the Nobel prize and become a UN representative or something. Maybe an ambassador between the People and the humans! (I'm an A/H or H/T shipper BTW. Having trouble deciding...)

I can agree with you on that for sure. Minerva was just in the Lost Colony and then never really mentioned again. I was disappointed because I actually quite liked her character. She was finally someone for Artemis to really match wits with. Occassionally I do ship her with Artemis, other times I'd rather her be her own person. As for other ships I tend to go back and forth depending on the circumstances. H/T has always been my favorite though I did go through a faze that I was A/H or nothing. Lol. High school me was... Well a crazy fangirl to say the least. I mean I'm still a huge freaking nerd but I've calmed down a bit thankfully.

But yeah! H/T, A/M, A/H, or whatever really, its what you like and you have your reasons for shipping it. So im pretty flexible with most ships even if I dont ship it personally. (so stuck between H/T and A/H? Well why not both? A lot of people are like... But you can only like one. Well nah not really liking both is just saying you're okay with either one and, in my case, you like certain qualities the two separate relationships have or would have given if they were actually a couple. If that makes sense.)

Troublelover's Song of the Moment: ~Sad Song-We The Kings~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZsXcc_tC-o&index=174

Spoiler:

You and I,
We're like fireworks
And symphonies exploding in the sky
With you, I'm alive
Like all the missing pieces of my heart,
They finally collide

So stop time right here in the moonlight
'Cause I don't ever wanna close my eyes

Without you, I feel broke
Like I'm half of a whole
Without you, I've got no hand to hold
Without you, I feel torn
Like a sail in a storm
Without you, I'm just a sad song

I'm just a sad song

2013 EA Winner of: The Friendly One, Best Taste in Avatars and Signatures,
Biggest AF Fanboy/Girl, Most Valued Non-Staff Contributor, Most Changed

2014/15 EA Winner of: Biggest Non-AF Fanboy/Girl

Kron48
Swear Toad
Real First Name: Max
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Uhh... Foaly Jr.?

Postby Kron48 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:49 am

Troublelover16 wrote:
GravityNeon wrote:A lot of A/M shippers here. Not that I hate it, I just think that Minerva could be developed a lot more and would be a great as an independent person. She's smart, she's pretty, doesn't mean she needs a guy. I would like to see her win the Nobel prize and become a UN representative or something. Maybe an ambassador between the People and the humans! (I'm an A/H or H/T shipper BTW. Having trouble deciding...)

I can agree with you on that for sure. Minerva was just in the Lost Colony and then never really mentioned again. I was disappointed because I actually quite liked her character. She was finally someone for Artemis to really match wits with. Occassionally I do ship her with Artemis, other times I'd rather her be her own person. As for other ships I tend to go back and forth depending on the circumstances. H/T has always been my favorite though I did go through a faze that I was A/H or nothing. Lol. High school me was... Well a crazy fangirl to say the least. I mean I'm still a huge freaking nerd but I've calmed down a bit thankfully.

But yeah! H/T, A/M, A/H, or whatever really, its what you like and you have your reasons for shipping it. So im pretty flexible with most ships even if I dont ship it personally. (so stuck between H/T and A/H? Well why not both? A lot of people are like... But you can only like one. Well nah not really liking both is just saying you're okay with either one and, in my case, you like certain qualities the two separate relationships have or would have given if they were actually a couple. If that makes sense.)

Lol that reaction gif is legitimately 100/10 xD
"The end: It's gonna happen! But in the meantime, its on with the show. On with the show!" -Devo

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:03 am

Troublelover16 wrote:
GravityNeon wrote:Minerva was just in the Lost Colony and then never really mentioned again. I was disappointed because I actually quite liked her character. She was finally someone for Artemis to really match wits with. Occassionally I do ship her with Artemis, other times I'd rather her be her own person. As for other ships I tend to go back and forth depending on the circumstances. H/T has always been my favorite though I did go through a faze that I was A/H or nothing. Lol. High school me was... Well a crazy fangirl to say the least. I mean I'm still a huge freaking nerd but I've calmed down a bit thankfully.

XD!!! Very true.

But yeah, I agree, I was disappointed not to see more of Minerva in the later books. I know I've heard a lot of people attribute that to the fact Minerva was an unpopular character (that is, people say Colfer was responding to the bad fan reaction), but I'm not sure if we have any actual confirmation on that. It could just be that the stories just happened to go in a direction where it just didn't make sense to bring her back. (I know that happens to me when I'm writing. There will be characters or ideas that happened earlier that I really want to bring back, but the way the story happens to fall, they just don't fit. If you go back and read Colfer's interviews, where he talks generally about his concepts for upcoming books, when you read the actual books, you see that the ideas often almost completely change in the course of the writing.) I am kind of glad that, with TTP, Colfer didn't go down the romance rivalry/jealousy route (either coming from Holly's side or Minerva's), but it would have been nice if she had been mentioned in one of the later books, to let us know if she was still in contact with Artemis. (Even having the skier explanation [that Minerva was seeing a skier, and Artemis was like, 'Oh come on'] given to us briefly, and therefore being solid canon, would have been something.)

Anyway, I know what you mean about being for different ships depending on the circumstances. In the case of The Last Guardian,
Spoiler:
I felt like things were left off in a way that could go multiple directions. While ultimately Holly and Artemis's relationship is central to the story, it's not given to us definitively as a romantic one. [Artemis's mental comments about Holly do, I think, seem to lean in that direction, that his feelings from TTP are still the same, but that's not really stated exactly, and we don't really know how Holly's feeling either.] The Holly/Trouble relationship was also an interesting one in the book, in that they are technically broken up, and Trouble seems to be seeing Frond now, but this ending is again left ambiguous, as Holly's dismissiveness of whether the relationship will last could either be taken as Holly's usual dislike of Frond, or it could be taken as a bit of jealousy on her part, if she still liked Trouble, which could lead to something where they realize how important they are to each other and end up getting back together after all. Both ways could potentially make very interesting stories, particularly if Minerva did end up coming back into the picture at this point.
But anyway, yeah, I do like to think about different ships, because like you already kind of said, each relationship can have its own unique qualities. A/M and H/T are nice because in the relationships they both can relate to each other so well, because they share so many interests and have similar backgrounds. A/H works so well because Artemis and Holly are polar opposites in many ways, both in their values, and in the cultural backgrounds, and yet they share some characteristics that set them apart from their closest friends, and also have such a long shared history over the course of the series.

Return to “Artemis Fowl Talk”