Artemis Fowl: The Last Guardian **HUGE SPOILER ALERT!!**

This is the general Artemis Fowl talk section.
artytwin
Commander
Real First Name: Fatima

Re: Artemis Fowl: The Last Guardian **HUGE SPOILER ALERT!!**

Postby artytwin » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:38 pm

Kelsey Rain (: wrote:
Spoiler:
- Artemis kissing Holly's forehead and telling her how she fixed him
- Artemis' death, however sad it may be
- "He suddenly felt a trememdous affection for her" I swooned. Omg.
- "...Appreciate how fierce and beautiful his best friend really was" I can't-
- Mulch rescuing them from being possessed and killed
- Opal dies (finally!)
- The whole 'Danu' thing. I thought it was very creative I think I've heard of Danu somewhere before, so it kind of stuck out to me.
- Mulch drinking all of Artemis' wine :lick:
- FOALY'S LOVE FOR CABALLINE. AWWWWW :wuv: :thumbsup:
- The scene where Holly tries to stop Artemis from his brave sacrifice and he ends up drugging her
- When Butler holds Holly back from joining Artemis in the deadly radiation/magic/light dome that killed him
- His said-funeral and his clone

I don't know if I'm happy with a "clone" Artemis because it's still not really him. It's him, but it's not. Idk. It makes me antsy. He still feels dead to me.
But Artemis' bravery and selflessness is probably one of the best things that could've happened in the series, and it is definitely bittersweet.

5/5* !!!! :loveeyes: :loveeyes: :loveeyes:

OMG! EXACTLY!!
Spoiler:
especially the holly/arty stuff i dunno why i've become a fan of that. rlly they are perrrrrrfect for each other! so cute! i was crying sooo bad. i think i'm gonna re read it. oh crap i'm crying now. that little kiss on the forehead and the way he thought she was pretty and the way butler took holly and they were crying and how he was carrying her thru the tunnel and put water on her wee wittle forehead and he helped her to the couch in the end and aaaaaaaaaaw! oh and foaly's story was rlly cute!

RickW
Goblin

Postby RickW » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:56 pm

oops dubblepost
Last edited by RickW on Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GREETINGS!!

RickW
Goblin

Postby RickW » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:00 pm

RickW wrote:
Kelsey Rain (: wrote:I CRIED. I NEVER CRY. Just the scene where Artemis is shaken after realizing he'd written a will and he feels panic just got my nerves up, and when Holly intrudes more emotional than ever and just their interaction just made me swoon and cry because I REALLY felt her pain when she knew her best friend was going to sacrifice himself. That's what I love SO MUCH about the characters in these books, you don't imagine their pain or sorrow or happiness, but you reallyy FEEL it. But my favourite parts were:

Spoiler:
- Artemis kissing Holly's forehead and telling her how she fixed him
- Artemis' death, however sad it may be
- "He suddenly felt a trememdous affection for her" I swooned. Omg.
- "...Appreciate how fierce and beautiful his best friend really was" I can't-
- Mulch rescuing them from being possessed and killed
- Opal dies (finally!)
- The whole 'Danu' thing. I thought it was very creative I think I've heard of Danu somewhere before, so it kind of stuck out to me.
- Mulch drinking all of Artemis' wine :lick:
- FOALY'S LOVE FOR CABALLINE. AWWWWW :wuv: :thumbsup:
- The scene where Holly tries to stop Artemis from his brave sacrifice and he ends up drugging her
- When Butler holds Holly back from joining Artemis in the deadly radiation/magic/light dome that killed him
- His said-funeral and his clone

I don't know if I'm happy with a "clone" Artemis because it's still not really him. It's him, but it's not. Idk. It makes me antsy. He still feels dead to me.
But Artemis' bravery and selflessness is probably one of the best things that could've happened in the series, and it is definitely bittersweet.

5/5* !!!! :loveeyes: :loveeyes: :loveeyes:

Well it's still Artemis :). He has a new body, not a new soul. It's still him.. A real clone would have a soul too, it would totally be a new Artemis. But this new body is just a host for his soul, nothing more. But yeah, if it really was a totally NEW Artemis I'd hate it too.

And I'm glad ArtemisxHolly didn't happen. Anyone who thought they would end up together was fooling themselves. Firstly because they would be a HORRIBLE couple, they're just not right for each other. Secondly because Holly is eighty years old and she's not even a human, it's just wrong. And lastly because Eoin made it pretty clear in The Atlantis Complex that it was never going to happen and that a HumanxFairy relationship is just not right.
GREETINGS!!

afoul
Cave Troll

Postby afoul » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:49 am

So I feel like no one's bringing up the fact that it should never have been possible for Artemis to be revived because the chrysalis, being an invention of Opal's, should have exploded along with everything else she ever developed or invented when her younger self was murdered.

That, along with the incredibly short and abrupt "after Artemis died" section and ending really killed the ending of the series for me.

Though, truth be told, I feel like the series has had diminished returns since The Eternity Code.

artytwin
Commander

Postby artytwin » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:01 pm

afoul wrote:So I feel like no one's bringing up the fact that it should never have been possible for Artemis to be revived because the chrysalis, being an invention of Opal's, should have exploded along with everything else she ever developed or invented when her younger self was murdered.

That, along with the incredibly short and abrupt "after Artemis died" section and ending really killed the ending of the series for me.

Though, truth be told, I feel like the series has had diminished returns since The Eternity Code.

O.o. ur right i think... where does it say that opal invented it? maybe foaly made a new version?? waaaaaah that ruins it!
honestly, i sorta liked the series more from TEC and onward.

Merv Simestra
Council Member
Real First Name: Meg
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Merv Simetra

Postby Merv Simestra » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:29 pm

afoul wrote:So I feel like no one's bringing up the fact that it should never have been possible for Artemis to be revived because the chrysalis, being an invention of Opal's, should have exploded along with everything else she ever developed or invented when her younger self was murdered.

I think the chrysalis was created before the younger Opal appeared in the timeline. But that is an interesting point.

And I honestly thought that the ending was the best part. It was a very nice way to end the series without leaving all the fans hanging. It also keeps the series sort of open for fanfic writers, and in case Eoin starts a spin-off series about the twins or Holly. :)

Anyway, welcome to AFC! :>
"On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God."
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble."

Procrastinator and Obsessive are my middle names.

Spoiler:
Voted Eternity Awards 2013 winner of...
Favorite Moderator/Administrator
Best Journal Writer
The Sensible One
Most Likely to Run for President
Most Devoted to AFC
and Always in the Know.
Again with the president thing.

Shameless plug: visit my website!.

Pandora Hearts, the most epic manga to have existed. 2006--2015

Yona of the Dawn, Most Epic Romantic Manga

Shut up, I know I'm trash.

Emmi-Kat
Pixie
Real First Name: Emma

Postby Emmi-Kat » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:56 am

Merv Simestra wrote:

I think the chrysalis was created before the younger Opal appeared in the timeline. But that is an interesting point.

And I honestly thought that the ending was the best part. It was a very nice way to end the series without leaving all the fans hanging. It also keeps the series sort of open for fanfic writers, and in case Eoin starts a spin-off series about the twins or Holly. :)

I agree!:D
"We all have our own time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams." ~Jeremy Irons

Check out my gallery on dA! http://emmi-kat.deviantart.com/

artytwin
Commander

Postby artytwin » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:01 am

tho, it woulda been nice if he left one eye brown and the other blue. it's adorable! (why have i become an arty holly shipper? :blink: :huh2: :glaring: i hated it at first. but now it's sorta right. to me, they're a grate match! mostly cuz it's rlly funny!

ILiveForTheDay
Golden Acorn Officer
Real First Name: ForeverDay

Postby ILiveForTheDay » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:13 pm

Merv Simestra wrote:

Yeah, you're right. It mentions right in the beginning (Where Artemis goes 'Stupid me' or something to that effect) that the clone was created before the timeline split so neither Nopal or the chrysalis would explode.
☺ ☻ ♥ ♠ ♣ ♦ • ◘ ♫ ☼ ☺ ♪ ♀ ◄ ↕ ‼ ► ↑ ↓ → § ← ∟ ↔ ▼ ▲ ! " £ $ % ^ & * ( ) _ + ¿

Grady: 'Cuz everytime you try to do something nice for us we end up sad
Nico: Or injured
Grady: Or in Mexico. . .

It's ALIVE.

☺ ☻ ♥ ♠ ♣ ♦ • ◘ ♫ ☼ ☺ ♪ ♀ ◄ ↕ ‼ ► ↑ ↓ → § ← ∟ ↔ ▼ ▲ ! " £ $ % ^ & * ( ) _ + ¿

Emmi-Kat
Pixie
Real First Name: Emma

Postby Emmi-Kat » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:56 pm

Hey...if Arty died, then what happened to Holly's human eye? Any effect?
"We all have our own time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams." ~Jeremy Irons

Check out my gallery on dA! http://emmi-kat.deviantart.com/

afoul
Cave Troll

Postby afoul » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:29 am

Yeah Foaly says "I never thought I'd say it, but Opal Koboi made good tech."

But see that's where the problem lies: all of that tech Opal created was created before the timeline split and it all exploded. Theoretically, it was created before The Opal Deception, probably around the time of The Arctic Incident. I've read the first four books more than a handful of times and though I'm sure Eoin could come up with an answer that placates all the fact is (to my understanding at least), that Opal obviously would not have the means to create any tech after her incarceration following The Arctic Incident.

I dunno, having to try and justify what is a seemingly large plot hole ruins the ending for me a bit. Still love the series, but disappointed with the last chapter.

Though I definitely reread the first book after finishing The Last Guardian.

leftfootfowl7
Gremlin
Real First Name: Chelsea

Postby leftfootfowl7 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:30 am

I just thought that the ending was really really bad. I thought there were loose ends..

artytwin
Commander

Postby artytwin » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:52 am

leftfootfowl7 wrote:I just thought that the ending was really really bad. I thought there were loose ends..

EC said he left loos ends in case he wants to return to the fairies, but he wont return to artemis though, his story is over.
i looooooooooooved the ending. i was crying so much!

artytwin
Commander

Postby artytwin » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:53 am

Emmi-Kat wrote:Hey...if Arty died, then what happened to Holly's human eye? Any effect?

holly's human eye? it's in the ground with artemis's original body. the clone had both eyes blue -.- sadly!

Merv Simestra
Council Member
Real First Name: Meg
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Merv Simetra

Postby Merv Simestra » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:19 pm

afoul wrote:Yeah Foaly says "I never thought I'd say it, but Opal Koboi made good tech."

But see that's where the problem lies: all of that tech Opal created was created before the timeline split and it all exploded. Theoretically, it was created before The Opal Deception, probably around the time of The Arctic Incident. I've read the first four books more than a handful of times and though I'm sure Eoin could come up with an answer that placates all the fact is (to my understanding at least), that Opal obviously would not have the means to create any tech after her incarceration following The Arctic Incident.

I dunno, having to try and justify what is a seemingly large plot hole ruins the ending for me a bit. Still love the series, but disappointed with the last chapter.

The chrysalis would have had to have been made before ten-year-old Artemis sold the lemur because after that Opal the Younger slipped into the future. Do you get what I'm saying? The whole concept of the situation is really mind-boggling, but it makes sense if you think about in simple terms. If Opal had made the chrysalis before the younger her slipped out of her place in time, it would have exploded. But she created it before the whole endangered-animal-fiasco with the lemur, so it didn't go "Ka-Boom!" on everyone.

So really, anything she had made after Artemis's kidnapping of Holly would have blown up. Or even before than, because technically she was missing from the timeline.

I hope that makes sense, and I'm not confusing you all. It made sense in my head, but it doesn't look right in writing. :(
"On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God."
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble."

Procrastinator and Obsessive are my middle names.

Spoiler:
Voted Eternity Awards 2013 winner of...
Favorite Moderator/Administrator
Best Journal Writer
The Sensible One
Most Likely to Run for President
Most Devoted to AFC
and Always in the Know.
Again with the president thing.

Shameless plug: visit my website!.

Pandora Hearts, the most epic manga to have existed. 2006--2015

Yona of the Dawn, Most Epic Romantic Manga