Artemis Fowl: The Last Guardian **HUGE SPOILER ALERT!!**

This is the general Artemis Fowl talk section.
Celsica
Dwarf

Artemis Fowl: The Last Guardian **HUGE SPOILER ALERT!!**

Postby Celsica » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:25 am

I searched and searched for a topic where the last book is discussed, and I didn't find it. So I decided to do one myself. If there IS one, then feel free to tell me and put this topic into oblivion.

I already finished it. Did someone finish it to or is reading it right now?
"I'll spare you the details, but basically the smoking jacket is not smoking"
Neal Caffrey --- White Collar

Exit
Tunnel Blue Spider

Re: Artemis Fowl: The Last Guardian **HUGE SPOILER ALERT!!**

Postby Exit » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:55 am

Yep. I got it this morning and finished it about 5 hours later.

Even though it says "spoiler alert" at the top, I'm going to use a spoiler code to cover my text up anyway. Don't read the spoiler-covered stuff if you haven't finished the whole book.

Spoiler:
In my opinion, The Last Guardian was quite the return to form for Eoin! I felt like The Time Paradox and The Atlantis Complex strayed from the strengths of the series; they had action, sure, but I just couldn't get into the drama surrounding the big sequences in either of those books. The story was getting in its own way, in that regard. This one, though... the action came first, and the plot was lifted up because of that. The writing didn't feel as labored, either. Maybe this is just me, but the writing was extremely visual, almost like it was an abstract screenplay rather than novel. That sort of writing served this story extremely well. Finally, it was well-paced. The beginning grabbed me, then the (huge) stakes were placed, and after that there was a nice pause with a meeting between the main characters. After that, it became a huge roller-coaster of action before the grand finale.

My favorite part in the entire book was the whole sequence of Artemis Fowl forming the plan for his final stand. As I stated earlier, the action typically came first in this book, so the switch to something very contemplative and deliberate only served to increase the suspense. Holly getting drugged was the tipping point for me, I think; I was simply floored. As a side note, I did correctly predict the plan once Artemis and "Holly" got to the Gate, but I DIDN'T correctly predict how they would survive the confrontation at the solar plane. Always bet on Mulch!

The book wasn't flawless, of course. My biggest qualm is that the very end was pretty short. Artemis sacrificed himself, and then he was resurrected, and then that was the end. I remember The Time Paradox's ending very fondly (even if the book wasn't as good overall) because it had a couple longer scenes with deep reflection in various conversations. In fact, that could be said of a lot of the books! This one, however, you had their brief meeting while Artemis was being disintegrated, and then you had Holly telling a confused Artemis how they met. That's really not much to go on; it almost felt like it was just another book ending rather than a SERIES ending. I wanted more closure than that.

I would rank it fourth in the series, I think. Behind The Eternity Code, The Opal Deception, and The Lost Colony, but in front of The Time Paradox, Artemis Fowl, The Arctic Incident, and The Atlantis Complex. It was extremely enjoyable and I probably will read it again, but that (I daresay) abrupt ending really didn't make the book as wholly satisfying as I hoped.

Cathy_1
Tunnel Blue Spider

Postby Cathy_1 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:45 am

I finished reading it yesterday, and I felt really weird about it.... I felt like the spark of the other books was missing, and I'll try and explain this.
I felt that the characters were 'not all there' in terms of personality, and the famous witty, smart one-liners and dialogue that the AF series is known for were very much lacking. I'm not saying it was completely devoid of humour; the Beserkers in the body of the woodland animals had me laughing out loud, as did other parts, but the character wit was not as sharp as in the other books.
Also, although the bones of the plot had the potential to be brilliant, after I'd read it I didn't feel like a lot had happened in the book, and it didn't take me on the roller-coaster that I expected of the final installment. I don't know- I just felt a bit 'oh that's it' at the end. I didn't dislike it, but I didn't love it either. I felt indifferent, which is not what I wanted to feel.
Obviously, AF still remains my all time favourite book series and I did enjoy the book overall. I enjoyed seeing Foaly (who is my favourite character) get a bit of an action sequence, and also finding out about his family was great too. Loved the toilet humour from Mulch, as always. And I thought the ending was very fitting for the series as well, and I think it said something good about how far Artemis has come along as a character.
Overall, I thought it was a fairly lukewarm end to a brilliant series. Three out of five stars.
No, this is Foaly the Centaur. Is this the kidnapping, lowlife human?- Foaly
Mulch: I realise, Julius, that this is not an accurate schematic
Root: An accurate schematic? Its a rectangle for heavens sake!

Mulch: So, slippers
Loafers: Thats loafers

No, mademoiselle, I would not like to see the children's menu. I have no doubt that the children's menu itself tastes better than the meals on it- Artemis

Eltil
Swear Toad

Postby Eltil » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:17 pm

Well I'll give my two cents.

I thought it was nearly perfect, it had plenty of action that the series is known for but it also delivered a greater emotional impact than either TLC or TTP, as the later books have had more drama than previous ones, which suprised me. Colfer obviously wrote this book for anyone has ever emotionally attached themselves to the characters or themes of the series. In particular the way artemis and holly's relationship was handled was masterful to say the least. I know everyone was hoping for some kind of admission of love between the two but the way I saw it the book was quite blunt with how the two felt about each other. He went out of his way to tell us that Trouble was now in a relationship with Lili, the part at the very end where Foaly mentions the clone is older than Artemis was when he died, seriously that was so obviously leading to A/H, the scene where holly lands the plane, reread that and all that follows, it was really well done. Also, of course, the scene where Holly discovers his plan and the confrontation that follows had me more emotionally invested than I ever have been with the series as I thought Holly was going to take Artemis' place. The last thing Artemis got to tell Holly before he left was "I was a broken boy, and you fixed me. Thank you." and I truly don't think there was any better admission he could have made to her than to tell her how she had changed him.

I will admit that the book felt far darker and grim than the rest but it showed just how high the stakes were, and they were huge, Artemis literally saved the lives of billions of human beings. The book also gave me something I have wanted for the longest time, an insight to the war between humans and fairies as well as the racial tensions and the dicovery of the people by humans. I only have two complaints with the story and they are both minor but I was annoyed by the lack of the "conversation" between Artemis and Holly that had been foreshadowed at the end of TAC, admittedly I don't believe it's omission affected the A/H elements of the book but still. The other complaint is a bit more substantial in that I didn't like how Colfer said all the humans just swept the existence of the people under the rug and convinced themselves they didn't exist epecially when Artemis mentioned himself near the end of the story about the new world that would await, one where humans and faries lived together and he even entertained the notion of being an ambassador, which would have been incredible.

As for the ending I think it was the perfect way to end the series. With Holly telling Artemis how they first met.

In fact I wonder if I'm the only one who did this but I immediately read the first book afterwards as the ending of TLG felt more like the beginning of the sreies than the end. Oh well those are my long winded thoughts, I truly loved this book more than any other in the series so far. Also Opal is awesome.
"There will be consequences for this, he thought. You can't alter time and be unaffected. But whatever the consequences are, I will bear them, because the alternative is too terible."- TLC

artificialGenius
Sprite
AFC Fan Fiction Name: artificialGenius

Postby artificialGenius » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:00 pm

I didn't immediately start rereading the first book (as I was still trying to absorb what just happened..) but I may reread it just to see how far Artemis has come.

I do agree that it would've been a better ending if the fairies and humans worked together to rebuild into a new world where they could be at peace. That's pretty much the only thing I can think of right now that kept it from being perfect. I will admit that the ending felt less like the ending to an AF book and more like the ending to another book, though, but then again it has much higher stakes than any of the previous books. I adored how it ended with the beginning of the series, though that may have been because halfway through reading it I thought "It would be cool if they ended it in a way that mirrored the first book..." but then decided there probably wouldn't be a chance for it to.

I was upset when I thought Caballine would die (Opal mentions she has a "surprise" for Caballine, there's several pages talking about how much Foaly loves her and how they met... I basically said "Yep, she's going down."), even though that was before she had gotten any sort of canon personality or anything. Now, when I read that Artemis died (before I read the last chapter) I was way more upset, but still. I probably care way too much about these characters.

I talked to some of my friends on Facebook while I was reading it and I'm pretty sure most of my messages looked something like "asdjlfkwjreeiosjmalsdjf;lkfjal;rARTEMIS" instead of actual coherent sentences.
My avatar was made by feastings on tumblr.
"Well, you've gotta stop selling your soul to the devil. He's just gonna want more and more, it's like a drug."

TheHuntress
Gremlin
Real First Name: Ash

Postby TheHuntress » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:46 am

I ADORED IT. I FINISHED IT YESTERDAY (DAY IT CAME OUT). I even read it during my LSAT prep classes. TOTALLY WORTH IT. :loveeyes: I personally, found The Last Guardian ABSOLUTELY FLAWLESS! But that's my own personal, subjective interpretation. 8)

Anyways if anyone wants the translation for the code, they can find it on my livejournal. I translated it today:
Just ignore all the gushing nonsense and skip right to the ALL CAPS part.

http://yorozuyasamurai.livejournal.com/896.html
"Generally speaking, things have gone about as far as they can possibly go, when things have gotten about as bad as they can reasonably get."- Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
^Painfully true in the Artemis Fowl world I should think...

silverphoenix
Elf

Postby silverphoenix » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:40 am

I'll try not to go into much detail, though it does say spoiler in the title. I agree with whoever said the ending could have used a little more closure, but it's okay because now we have the freedom to make our own ending (so thanks Eoin Colfer, I plan to let my imagination go nuts :> ). As for the A/H shippers, we might not have gotten the big confession we were hoping for, but honestly, did anyone seriously think that was going to happen? Artemis is 15, still far too young for Holly, and it would inappropriate in a children's series. But that doesn't mean that there wasn't a lot of chemistry going on between the two... some scenes between Artemis and Holly just scream how they feel about each other, but the time and place is simply not right for them yet. As a shipper, I can say that I'm appeased. Overall, I was pretty satisfied with the book. After TAC, it was refreshing to see Colfer back to his old writing style, though the feeling of the senselessness of destruction (which pervaded TAC) still persists in TLG, but manages not to overshadow the whole book. Loved hearing more about Foaly, great seeing him in action for once instead always behind the scenes. What else can I say... another one of my favorite series has come to an end. :crying2: Once a fan, always a fan. Love you, Artemis Fowl. :wuv:
"Did someone say Draco Malfoy?"

Merv Simestra
Council Member
Real First Name: Meg
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Merv Simetra

Postby Merv Simestra » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:51 pm

Got it Tuesday night and finished it Wednesday night. I have to say it is Eoin's best Artemis Fowl book (I would say to date, but that's just wishful thinking). Spoilers from here on out:
Spoiler:
The only thing I really would have preferred not happen was the *cough*naked*cough* Mulch. And of course Artemis's coming back to life could have been drawn out a little longer, but still this book is fantastic, wonderful, tense, shocking, dark, creepy, grim, amazing, happy, and sad. At least, that's as many emotions as I can think of right now.

I'm still in shock over the second to last chapter though. I mean, why did Eoin have to kill Artemis? Why couldn't there have been a miraculous saving by Butler or Artemis suddenly acquiring athletic ability? And does Artemis go back to living with humans, does he go to live underground, or is he forced to live in exile away from both? Eoin, there are still a good many unanswered questions!!!!! I need a spin-off series!!!

Okay, rant over. I have, however, been traumatized by this book. I will be going to get the second and third Harry Potter books to knock off some of the shock. It's worked in the past, I just hope it still works for this situation.
"On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God."
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble."

Procrastinator and Obsessive are my middle names.

Spoiler:
Voted Eternity Awards 2013 winner of...
Favorite Moderator/Administrator
Best Journal Writer
The Sensible One
Most Likely to Run for President
Most Devoted to AFC
and Always in the Know.
Again with the president thing.

Shameless plug: visit my website!.

Pandora Hearts, the most epic manga to have existed. 2006--2015

Yona of the Dawn, Most Epic Romantic Manga

Shut up, I know I'm trash.

artificialGenius
Sprite
AFC Fan Fiction Name: artificialGenius

Postby artificialGenius » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:43 pm

I would assume that he would continue to stay with his family.. Then again, I'm somehow really attached to the Fowls (and the Butlers too) and want them to stay together, so of course that's what I think.
My avatar was made by feastings on tumblr.
"Well, you've gotta stop selling your soul to the devil. He's just gonna want more and more, it's like a drug."

Merv Simestra
Council Member
Real First Name: Meg
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Merv Simetra

Postby Merv Simestra » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:47 pm

I would assume the same thing, but I don't like to assume things all the time.
"On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God."
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble."

Procrastinator and Obsessive are my middle names.

Spoiler:
Voted Eternity Awards 2013 winner of...
Favorite Moderator/Administrator
Best Journal Writer
The Sensible One
Most Likely to Run for President
Most Devoted to AFC
and Always in the Know.
Again with the president thing.

Shameless plug: visit my website!.

Pandora Hearts, the most epic manga to have existed. 2006--2015

Yona of the Dawn, Most Epic Romantic Manga

Shut up, I know I'm trash.

Exit
Tunnel Blue Spider

Postby Exit » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:35 am

TheHuntress wrote:Anyways if anyone wants the translation for the code, they can find it on my livejournal. I translated it today:

Thanks for this! I really liked the message, it was quite personal; fitting for the last book!

ILiveForTheDay
Golden Acorn Officer
Real First Name: ForeverDay

Postby ILiveForTheDay » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:21 pm

TheHuntress wrote:I ADORED IT. I FINISHED IT YESTERDAY (DAY IT CAME OUT). I even read it during my LSAT prep classes. TOTALLY WORTH IT. :loveeyes: I personally, found The Last Guardian ABSOLUTELY FLAWLESS! But that's my own personal, subjective interpretation. 8)

Anyways if anyone wants the translation for the code, they can find it on my livejournal. I translated it today:

Thanks you so much for this. I haven't the patience to decode it myself but HSDAHF;SGADGH that makes me sad (der).

Eh, might as well add my twopence worth here.
I really enjoyed the book. Action was paced far better than Atlantis Complex (which was probably to do with it being longer & there not being a Butler-getting-to-Artemis side plot which didn't add a huge amount to it anyway imho). Ending was a bit abrupt in my opinion but I liked how he brought it back to the beginning (one of my favourite literary devices evar, even if the way he did it was a bit contrived). Holly and Artemis scenes were pretty amazing (More A/H than the kiss imho) and he even managed to make Artemis older which (sort of) leaves an opening for it. Plus, Trouble's out the way and 'she doesn't go on many dates'. And, 'There's always Artemis' 'Yeah, he's a good guy I suppose'. Idk I just have a lot of happy feelings on that front. Even if I wasn't totally satisfied with the ending, the relationship aspect he got spot on. He didn't make it contrived at all and it was just a proper ending for it.
Plot was... way out there? It was definitely... full on. I have mixed feelings on it. On one hand, the series went out with a bang and a half and there were no half-hearted efforts on the plot side. On the other hand... it was the end of the world. Yes the stakes were higher than ever but I kind of wonder whether they weren't so high it was a bit ridiculous. (Then another part of me thinks that Eoin Colfer was having a lot of fun writing it and it was pretty cool and I just shrug and grin)
Other than that I really enjoyed the book and was sad when it ended. Like, really sad. Like, wow this really is the end unless Mr Colfer gets broke.

As for the not as hilarious- there were less one liners in this but as it was the end of the humans and the end of the series I felt it appropriate. Also, it wasn't that many less and there were enough punny names to make up for it (Salt and Vinegar? Colonoscopy? Decoding the names adds a certain 'I c wat u did there' to it which I love)

And as it's the last imma put my best bits I can remember at this point in time:
-Mulch riding in on the troll. THE IMAGE WAS TOO. GOOD. I HAD TO STOP AND LAUGH AND GIVE COLFER A BIT OF MENTAL APPLAUSE.
-Artemis and Holly relationship growing/resolving/whatever. As I said before this bit he got spot on.
-Nopal. I just... liked her? Pitied her? She added a mature-ness to the series.
-One liners. Eoin Colfer's trademark and they didn't disappoint. They were a bit thinner on the ground but it was understandable and the punny names made up for it.
-His 'death'. HE GOT ME. I THOUGHT HE MIGHT ACTUALLY GO THROUGH WITH IT SNEAKY IRISHMAN. I imagined him sitting writing on his computer thinking 'THIS IS THE END. I'm GOING TO MAKE SURE HE NEVER COMES BACK.' *cackle*
-The gnommish writing at the bottom. Thanks again to The Huntress for translating it but I think it's my favourite one in a depressed kind of way.
-Foaly and Caballine. D'awww. Specifically their meeting (and Foaly being badass was pretty cool too)
-Character interactions. They made the book for me.

tl;dr Really enjoyed it. Am sad.
☺ ☻ ♥ ♠ ♣ ♦ • ◘ ♫ ☼ ☺ ♪ ♀ ◄ ↕ ‼ ► ↑ ↓ → § ← ∟ ↔ ▼ ▲ ! " £ $ % ^ & * ( ) _ + ¿

Grady: 'Cuz everytime you try to do something nice for us we end up sad
Nico: Or injured
Grady: Or in Mexico. . .

It's ALIVE.

☺ ☻ ♥ ♠ ♣ ♦ • ◘ ♫ ☼ ☺ ♪ ♀ ◄ ↕ ‼ ► ↑ ↓ → § ← ∟ ↔ ▼ ▲ ! " £ $ % ^ & * ( ) _ + ¿

Emmi-Kat
Pixie
Real First Name: Emma

Postby Emmi-Kat » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:34 am

When I got it, I really didn't want to read it because I knew that it was the end. I wasn't sure what was going to happen, and I was afraid of the disappointment that would come had it been like The Time Paradox or The Atlantis Complex, (though TAC was definitely the funniest). But I was glad to find that it was NOT like those last two.

Before I explain about how I feel about The Last Guardian, I feel that I must explain why I didn't like about TTP or TAC. After The Lost Colony, I felt like Mr. Colfer was strained in his writing. I noticed a lot of things that I didn't think was truly what HE wanted, but rather what his fans wanted. From the beginning, there had always been fans shipping Holly and Artemis. When Colfer introduced a potential love interest, (Minerva), for Artemis, the fans tore her to shreds. Instead of continuing with unhappy fans, I believe that Mr. Colfer set out to please them. So he completely forgot about Minerva, (I was upset about this because he had hinted that she would return, and she never did), and started writing ArtemisXHolly, instead.

That being said, I also feel that part of the reason that these two books were, well, the worst, (in my opinion), was because he was being rushed. I'm sure that Mr. Colfer had deadlines to meet, but I don't think that the rapid fans, myself included, did anything to help him. (Well, we bought his books and helped him that way, but that's not what I mean.) I think that the pressure of a ton of screaming fans at book-signings and internet pressure probably put him on edge.

Okay, now The Last Guardian. I was really relieved to find the 'old' Colfer back. I felt like he wrote this for himself more than for any one of us. He pretty much scratched out ArtemisXHolly, though I felt like the Silver Cupid was placed there to amuse the fans, and gave us a really thrilling story. (Plus, I feel like it was a sort of joke about 2012. You know, Armageddon, and all that. I also think he let his opinion on a lot of things break free in this last book.) I definitely think that we got to see Artemis grow as a person more than we ever had before. As for the ending, I thought that it was as it ought to have been. I think the ending was left to be opened to the readers interpretation. Artemis wasn't gone, but (after dying and being resurrected) he wasn't the mischievous little genius that we all had grown accustomed to. I don't think that the old Artemis was completely back either. I was content to let the series end as it was, and I know that the name Artemis Fowl will always leave me feeling safe and warm inside. :3
"We all have our own time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams." ~Jeremy Irons

Check out my gallery on dA! http://emmi-kat.deviantart.com/

artytwin
Commander
Real First Name: Fatima

Postby artytwin » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:56 pm

gonna make it short:
the day it came out: i was not at home from 6 am to 7 pm. so i didnt buy it (got a kindle <3 i love it!)
next day: didnt buy it either. i couldnt believe it was over.
day 3: couldnt buy it, i was staring at the "buy" button waiting for the most perfect moment, most dramatic...
day4: practically crying because i wanted to finish it but i didnt want to at the same time.
day 5: my sister threatened to throw all my AF books in the valley, so i had to buy it, it wasnt a good moment either! i was sitting on my bed staring at the button saying: okay, the last time u'll buy an AF book, the last time you'll feel this feeling... no pressure my sis hit me on the head :eyeroll: XD
Spoiler:
that very same day: the sun was setting, i was sitting in the swing crying. i run to my bed, i lay there with my arms outstretched cuz Arty was writing his will. " he's gonna die." i moan. locked myself in the bathroom to finish the rest. ten minutes later you hear a scream: HES DEAD! five min later i come out running like a luny screaming: HE'S ALIVE!!! :laughing:

Kelsey Rain (:
Golden Acorn Officer
Real First Name: KelseyRain
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Kelsey Rain

Postby Kelsey Rain (: » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:04 am

I CRIED. I NEVER CRY. Just the scene where Artemis is shaken after realizing he'd written a will and he feels panic just got my nerves up, and when Holly intrudes more emotional than ever and just their interaction just made me swoon and cry because I REALLY felt her pain when she knew her best friend was going to sacrifice himself. That's what I love SO MUCH about the characters in these books, you don't imagine their pain or sorrow or happiness, but you reallyy FEEL it. But my favourite parts were:

Spoiler:
- Artemis kissing Holly's forehead and telling her how she fixed him
- Artemis' death, however sad it may be
- "He suddenly felt a trememdous affection for her" I swooned. Omg.
- "...Appreciate how fierce and beautiful his best friend really was" I can't-
- Mulch rescuing them from being possessed and killed
- Opal dies (finally!)
- The whole 'Danu' thing. I thought it was very creative I think I've heard of Danu somewhere before, so it kind of stuck out to me.
- Mulch drinking all of Artemis' wine :lick:
- FOALY'S LOVE FOR CABALLINE. AWWWWW :wuv: :thumbsup:
- The scene where Holly tries to stop Artemis from his brave sacrifice and he ends up drugging her
- When Butler holds Holly back from joining Artemis in the deadly radiation/magic/light dome that killed him
- His said-funeral and his clone

I don't know if I'm happy with a "clone" Artemis because it's still not really him. It's him, but it's not. Idk. It makes me antsy. He still feels dead to me.
But Artemis' bravery and selflessness is probably one of the best things that could've happened in the series, and it is definitely bittersweet.

5/5* !!!! :loveeyes: :loveeyes: :loveeyes:

Return to “Artemis Fowl Talk”