Minerva Paradizo, Hate her or Hate her, Why No Resolution?

This is the general Artemis Fowl talk section.
TheCollector
Cave Troll

Minerva Paradizo, Hate her or Hate her, Why No Resolution?

Postby TheCollector » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:29 am

So, I know Minerva is far from a fan favorite. Like very far, like here's Disneyland Paris, and there's the ex-planet Pluto.

Now when I first read the 5th book I didn't mind her, though weirdly enough now that I re read it I do hate her a little, but all in all I'm still a little peeved we didn't get any kind of resolution on her character before the end.

Now I'm not saying she should of been a main, or even side character in either of the last three, but I personally would of liked even a passing mention of her, to tell us what had happened to her. I mean she's never mentioned once as far as I remember in any of the three.

The fifth left off with her having become good friends with Butler and apparently having garnered feelings for Artemis, with him seemingly not minding that fact, but then nothing.

Absolutely nothing. In three books absolutely nothing.

I know she's not a fan favorite, like I said earlier in this post, but I still feel she should of gotten some kind of passing comment to tell us what in the world happened to her.

It's like the only thing I'm mildly disappointed with in the series.

Merv Simestra
Council Member
Real First Name: Meg
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Merv Simetra

Re: Minerva Paradizo, Hate her or Hate her, Why No Resolutio

Postby Merv Simestra » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:17 pm

I agree, I wish Eoin would have added at least a mention of Minerva but he has his reasons for not doing so. I read on his website (well, the old version) that he posted on Twitter that Minerva was involved in a relationship with some Alpine skier, but that could have been him just coming up with something because he really had no other plan for Minerva. *shrug* I kind of wish I could ask him.
"On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God."
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble."

Procrastinator and Obsessive are my middle names.

Spoiler:
Voted Eternity Awards 2013 winner of...
Favorite Moderator/Administrator
Best Journal Writer
The Sensible One
Most Likely to Run for President
Most Devoted to AFC
and Always in the Know.
Again with the president thing.

Shameless plug: visit my website!.

Pandora Hearts, the most epic manga to have existed. 2006--2015

artytwin
Commander
Real First Name: Fatima

Postby artytwin » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:18 pm

you know i noticed that most people on AFC go for arty+holly.
on eoincolfer.com i noticed that most go for arty+minnie... and even more go for leaving artemis a single dude :eyeroll:
but yeah it woulda been nice 2 know wat hapned to that grl. i couldnt ask him duh cuz i never seen him cuz he never came to any country close to me!

artificialGenius
Sprite
AFC Fan Fiction Name: artificialGenius

Postby artificialGenius » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:00 pm

Wait, the people on eoincolfer.com like Artemis/Minerva more?

Anyway, I actually kind of like Minerva. I think Colfer might have not shown her in the series because of the fandom's negative reaction to her, but I don't know since I'm not him.

I like to think that she and Artemis kept in touch via email, even if she didn't go on adventures with him.
My avatar was made by feastings on tumblr.
"Well, you've gotta stop selling your soul to the devil. He's just gonna want more and more, it's like a drug."

unappreciatedgenius7
Gremlin

Postby unappreciatedgenius7 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:57 pm

I have always just put up with Minerva, because I'm pro H/T. Cause I mean, that's a pretty awesome couple. So, I just imagine Minerva fell off the imaginary cliff of doom.
---98% of teenagers do or have tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.---

---92% of teens would be dead if Ambercrombie and Fitch said it is uncool to breath and the other 8% would be laughing if you agree put this on your siggy.---

artytwin
Commander
Real First Name: Fatima

Postby artytwin » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:04 pm

HAHAHA XP that is sooooooo funny unappreciated genius!
i dont really like H/T. i dunno, i like A/H more. if you think about how much they have gone thru together....

minerva vanished *POOF* very strange...

FadingLight
Mud Man

Re: Minerva Paradizo, Hate her or Hate her, Why No Resolution?

Postby FadingLight » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:51 am

I didn't really mind Minerva, but I wasn't very interested in her either. I did wonder where she went, though. I know what Eoin Colfer said about the Alpine skier, but what about the other stuff? The fairy stuff? I mean, was she mindwiped? I'm guessing Butler wouldn't have wanted that, and it seemed she waited for Artemis for three years and probably remembered what happened to him, but I don't know why the fairies would let it slide. Also, if she wasn't mindwiped, why didn't Artemis ever consider asking her for help in later books? She kinda just dropped in, then dropped out. One book, that's all. She wasn't even mentioned later.
I said you were smart, Mud Boy. I was wrong; are exceptional.—Qwan
Which do you think seems more suspicious? An alien-looking craft hovering in the yard of a country home, or a floating doorway with a centaur standing in it?—Domovoi Butler
We can only change the future, not the past or present.—Artemis Fowl II
I'm trying to care, Artemis. But I thought it was all supposed to be over when the fat lady sings. Well, she's singing, but it doesn't appear to be over.—Holly Short

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Axxonu

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:22 am

Haha, I admit, I liked Minerva when I first read book 5 (though I really wouldn't have wanted the series to come to revolve around her and Artemis's relationship had they gotten together), and when I reread TLC again recently, I realized again that I really am interested in her as a character. (For one thing, it's nice in shonen/book series meant for boys to see female characters who seem to be on the same intellectual level as the guy characters. [Honestly, I love Death Note, but I also think there are few series more sexist...])

I've heard people say she's a watered-down copy of Artemis, which I admit is what I was afraid she might be when I first read the back cover summary of the book, but in actually reading the book she felt authentic to me. Her similarities to Artemis are what make it believable he would be interested in her, and there's something drawing about seeing Artemis able to interact with someone who's really on his level. (Besides Opal Koboi, who is smart, but totally evil and a bit clueless in her own way. X3) Though Minerva is not portrayed as mentally inferior, she never really outsmarts Artemis (thus avoiding the annoyance of having an unknown character swoop in and outfox the main character who has been established for the audience as being very proficient in his area), which makes sense given their difference in experience levels with such operations and with the supernatural. (Artemis has four books on Minerva when it comes to dealing with the fairy people, so it makes sense he would play circles around her.)

I know, I was kind of disappointed about that, too. (That she never made a reappearance, not even a mention in a recapping of previous books.) The ending of TLC (with Butler talking about how the two of them had become friends while Artemis was gone, and how Minerva had really built up Artemis to be something special) really seemed to set her up to be a prominent character in later books. It's hard to say whether she didn't come back because of the negative response from fans, or because Colfer himself lost interest in her as a character (sometimes, as an author, you might be affected by negative stereotypes of your characters so that you start to see them that way too, even if in the original writing the stereotypes aren't entirely fair or accurate), or simply because Colfer didn't see room for her in the stories he wanted to write. (Would have been hard to include Minerva in TTP without turning it into a jealousy thing, and I'm sure he just didn't want to go there for the type of story AF is.)

But, I must say, I absolutely LOVE the portrayal of Minerva in The Fowl Team. (You know, the fanfiction.) I would have loved to see that in the series. (Passive-aggressiveness all the way.)

I wondered about the mind-wiping too. It seems apparent from what Butler said that the LEP didn't mind-wipe her (if they had, she probably wouldn't even remember who Artemis was, given the circumstances that she met him, though I suppose her mind might fill in alternative memories about Artemis saving her), but it seems odd. (Plus, Butler told Artemis's parents about the People, but apparently Foaly/the LEP didn't even know about that.)
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [Post TAC]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28912232/Artemis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

AF Lover
Truly Devoted Fan
Real First Name: Lucy

Postby AF Lover » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:32 am

I never paid much attention to Minerva. She was there, then she was gone. I don't necessarily hate her, but I don't like her either.

NerdGurl
Gremlin
Real First Name: Kaeli
AFC Fan Fiction Name: NerdGurl

Postby NerdGurl » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:35 am

I agree with TheCollector. Colfer should have given Minerva a mention in the other books, just so the readers know what happened to her. It would have been nice.

But I'm really glad Artemis and Minerva didn't get together. Artemis is a genius. He doesn't need anyone. (Well, except for maybe Butler, Holly, and all of LEP.) Okay, almost anyone.

FadingLight
Mud Man

Postby FadingLight » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:08 pm

On Rocket Axxonu's mention of The Fowl Team: Yeah, that version of Minerva is pretty cool. I read it a while ago and can't quite remember what happened, but I think it involved her bailing Artemis out of legal trouble. Something about shutting up and smiling.

One story I read early on in my journey into the world of Artemis Fowl fanfiction pretty much showed her as a villain, and a few more were badly written A/H and didn't mention her at all. So it's nice to see her in fanfiction as she probably would've become, if she'd been mentioned in canon.

She also makes an appearance in The Book of Ages, and is shown pretty positively. I think she's a deeper character there, too.
I said you were smart, Mud Boy. I was wrong; are exceptional.—Qwan
Which do you think seems more suspicious? An alien-looking craft hovering in the yard of a country home, or a floating doorway with a centaur standing in it?—Domovoi Butler
We can only change the future, not the past or present.—Artemis Fowl II
I'm trying to care, Artemis. But I thought it was all supposed to be over when the fat lady sings. Well, she's singing, but it doesn't appear to be over.—Holly Short

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:03 pm

For the record, I'm totally obsessed with The Book of the Ages.

Lol, yeah, I think there are a lot of stories where Minerva is kind of turned into the bad guy. (It's common for her to be obsessed with Artemis in a clingy, fangirly sort of way, and for her to her scheming to get Artemis to fall for her. XD) Holly-Minerva cat fights are popular too. XD!

But yeah, The Book of the Ages is definitely one of my favorite portrayals of Minerva. (Her role is just such a powerful addition to the story; we're able to see she's highly intelligent in her own way, not as a pale imitation of Artemis, but with her own unique set of skills and experience. It's also nice to see her acting as an ally rather than an enemy, and like you said, as we learn more about her past within the context of the story, she sort of gains a depth you might not expect from a character who technically isn't one of the main ones.) I love that fanfiction, I really need to read it again...

But speaking of The Book of the Ages, the author (GMontag) has recently been working on a new AF fanfiction, and that has another portrayal of Minerva I rather like. (The fanfiction is nearing the end now, and it's nowhere near as long as BoA, but it brings a lot of depth to the characters, too. There's a new chapter up that I need to go read, hehe.) You can find it here: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11272003/1 ... tful-Angel
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [Post TAC]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28912232/Artemis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

GMontag
Swear Toad

Postby GMontag » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:31 am

I remember my initial reaction to the concept of Minerva was pretty negative. It was probably from some summary of TLC, at which point the introduction of a "girl genius who ALSO DISCOVERS THE PEOPLE!" made me do a double-take to make sure I was reading the description of an actual canon book as opposed to some cliche fanfic.

I mean yes, balance out the boy genius, but not quite so... precisely...? Rich girl genius with multiple degrees, negligent parents, and a bodyguard seemed to be TOO much of a mirror to Artemis. The only way I thought it would've been worse is if Artemis had been British.

That aside, I was okay with her (though not particularly enamored with her) in TLC, and the fact that she had a little brother and was more socially well-adjusted than Artemis made things a bit more interesting. The sociability part of her (particularly actually becoming friends with Butler at the end) and her age made up enough of a difference compared to Artemis so that it became okay in my mind. I will admit though, that with the time-skip while on Hybras, I thought EC was going for a very convenient setup for A/M, so that Artemis doesn't, you know, end up being a pedophile. Those few years matter when you're underage. Kinda weird to see that (and Minerva in general) fall off the face of the Earth afterwards. A welcome back party or something for the guy she seems to have been crushing on for years now would've seemed appropriate at least.

Of course, that meant I thought Minerva had a lot of fanfic potential, which people have already mentioned. I think she had a chemistry PhD in canon, which never really made sense to me, as I always focused on her as a quantum physicist (much closer to what one might need in order to, say, catch randomly-appearing demons). I also write her as a professor (at least in the two times I've cared to write about her), because what else is a prodigy like that with minimal other character development going to do as an adult? Also because there aren't that many female physicists, particularly theorists, in real life, so it's nice to think about (if not really go into) what it's like for her in a very male-dominated field.

Basically, I don't hate her, but I really wish she'd been developed more. So I developed her more.

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:14 am

You know, now that you mention it, that time-jump would have been a convenient set up for A/M. XD In fact, she'd even be a little older than Artemis... (In my mind, the main reason Colfer made Minerva twelve was to be one more thing to tie the events of the story and Minerva's actions and choices with those Artemis made in book 1. I've heard this sort of thing in the AF books characterized as 'rehashing old plots,' but for me, I think these tie-ins and parallels actually make the events of the books more powerful, and give it a stronger sense of connection and history. It's series where we move from one episode/book to another and everything in the previous books seems to be forgotten that bother me. Depends on each person's preference, I guess.)

It's kind of funny though, because (like artificialGenius said before) it's sort of fun to imagine that Artemis and Minerva might have had ongoing communication following TLC. We don't have any indication from canon that they did (and Colfer seemed to preclude that with his sketchy skier explanation), but there's also nothing in canon to deny that they did, and we know from hints of random events dropped in the books that lots of things happen outside the scope of what's described in the books. Artemis and Minerva could have been talking, perhaps even collaborated on projects between the books, even if the relationship was entirely platonic.

It would have been nice to see Minerva in later books, at a bit older age. We saw a little development in TLC, but even though there were hints of things here and there, there really wasn't room in that one book to see all that much. (I for one always wondered how the fact her mother ran off with the ex-gardener affected her determination to win the Nobel Peace Prize.)

Oh, don't we know from the series that Minerva has studied quantum physics? She does make that comment about quarks... XD (Okay, I looked it up since I wrote that, and I guess Foaly says that she's studying to get degrees in quantum physics and psychology, and he suspects she has a doctorate in chemistry under an assumed name. So a little bit of a lot of things, like Artemis.) I admit, I love the idea of Minerva as a quantum physicist/professor. And in The Fowl Team, she runs a psychiatric consulting firm, and gives legal advice. (I can't remember if she's actually certified as a lawyer though.) I thought that fit pretty well, too. XD

I think when I first read TLC, I didn't really pay much attention to Minerva, because I was too interested in Holly and Artemis's relationship at the time. (Though strangely, I was against a romance between them back then. I had this image in my mind of life going on and Artemis and Holly getting married to other people, but having this strong, bonded-by-trauma relationship and always coming back together to put their talents together to save the world. [But through it all there being absolutely no romantic attraction whatsoever, more like a close brothers-in-arms type of relationship. ...Yes, I have a weird imagination. XD] I think it was Minerva's potential as a character, and what she could be as she got older and wiser, that later turned her into one of the characters I was most interested in. I realized I really like seeing her crop up in fanfictions. (Particularly when she's not fighting with Holly over Artemis. XD)

faeryenchanter^^
Centaur
Real First Name: Kat
AFC Fan Fiction Name: faeryenchanter

Postby faeryenchanter^^ » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:09 am

@Rocket, I love your idea of Minerva being a quantum scientist/some sort of epic scientist! My headcanon for her is a little different though- I imagine that this whole universe runs parallel to the Sherlock-universe, and it would have been so amazing to see Minerva up against Jim Moriarty- possibly even becoming The French Government, like Mycroft Holmes is! Her father is certainly well-known enough to get her a spot in there! She's shrewd enough to be a politician, and well, being a genius should see her pretty much through anything. Damn, I've given myself a really good fanfic idea now.

I actually loved Minerva from the beginning of TLC, because she was female and awesome. I found that I identified with her more than Artemis probably because we were the same age back then, and I loved the idea of a female trumping Artemis (like Irene Adler beats Sherlock Holmes!). I still love her to bits, and I wish people would write more fanfics with her in them!
All that jazz!

Return to “Artemis Fowl Talk”