Most HATED book in the series?

This is the general Artemis Fowl talk section.

What book do you you hate/don't like in the series?

Artemis Fowl (First book)
No votes
The Arctic Incident
No votes
The Eternity code
27%
The Opal Deception
9%
The Lost Colony
27%
The Time Paradox
9%
The Atlantis Complex
27%
The Last Guardian
No votes

Total votes: 11

Slimi
Swear Toad

Most HATED book in the series?

Postby Slimi » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:59 pm

Just thought of this. First poll I made on the forums ever c:

It's time for me to say something. I didn't really like TAC. It didn't feel like it really had a purpose for the series. I mean Yea, Artemis made something that could SAVE THE WORLD! Orion was a bit of a laugh to be honest and Artemis' reaction. Heh. There could've been something better like...Well..Spiro comming back for revenge, or Kronski comming to..do whatever. Instead, we get Artemis brain turning into crap. Im not putting any hate on it. I just didn't like it as much as the others.
Last edited by Slimi on Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

Merv Simestra
Council Member
Real First Name: Meg
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Merv Simetra

Re: Most HATED book in the series?

Postby Merv Simestra » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:59 am

I don't think I have a most hated book, just a book I didn't like as much as the others. For me that's The Lost Colony. I think it's probably because Minerva and the introduction of demons. It just seemed a little... far fetched maybe? I still liked it, but it definitely wasn't up there on my list of favorites.
"On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God."
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble."

Procrastinator and Obsessive are my middle names.

Spoiler:
Voted Eternity Awards 2013 winner of...
Favorite Moderator/Administrator
Best Journal Writer
The Sensible One
Most Likely to Run for President
Most Devoted to AFC
and Always in the Know.
Again with the president thing.

Shameless plug: visit my website!.

Pandora Hearts, the most epic manga to have existed. 2006--2015

Yona of the Dawn, Most Epic Romantic Manga

Shut up, I know I'm trash.

Athena32
Goblin
AFC Fan Fiction Name: MyshiCorp

Postby Athena32 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:17 am

I love all of the books, but the one I read the least would be TTP. I don't like the premise that much, and I feel like the characters were changed in a way that I didn't agree with. Also, the book majorly decreased Holly's role, and turned her into a hormonal teenager who spends about half the book being captured and the other half being attracted to Artemis. I missed the Holly that saved Artemis' hide multiple times, and then punched him in the face and called him "crazier than a salt-drunk troll with ringworm!"
TAC used to be my least favorite, but then I realized it has some hilarious parts. Plus, Holly has a bit more of an active role in that, because you see that even while possessed she can outmaneuver Juliet.
I'm fine, seeing as you asked.-Foaly
Gnommish… Gnommish… What blasted translation system doesn’t have Gnommish?

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Axxonu

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:36 am

Haha, I always loved TTP, maybe for some of those exact reasons. (That is, Holly was more emotionally vulnerable in that book that any of the others. I had started to bond with her as a character a little in TOD, in that scene where after Root is killed and she thinks she's failed his last request, and kind of breaks down for a moment, but it wasn't until TTP and we saw a little bit of what she might have been like before she was an experienced, hotshot officers of the LEP, that she really became one of my favorite characters. I'm not sure why exactly, but I think seeing those moments of real weakness made her feel more of a real person to me.) And between all that, she still managed to save him at least once. x3 (In the gorilla cage)

Yeah, I have trouble choosing a least favorite too, hehe. xD But, probably one of the earlier ones, purely because I tend to need time to get to know the characters and bond with them, before I can really get into a series. I guess I usually end up going with TEC, since there's this point in the middle of the book that my brain tends to check out, and I'm less interested in the plot. (Somewhere after the crisis with Butler--because I'm always gripped by that--between when Mulch is running around with Loafers and Spiro's plotting.) But ironically, it was very end of TEC when I really started to get into the series for the first time, so. I say TEC, but there's an asterisk on that.
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [An Artemis Fowl fanfiction, set after The Atlantic Complex.]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28912232/Artemis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

AliceFowl
Dwarf
Real First Name: Alice

Postby AliceFowl » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:42 am

I find this super hard to reply to just because I really didn't dislike any of them. I definitely had volumes that I preferred over others, but I don't think there really was a single book that I finished and went, "Wow, well that could have been a lot better." I think they all served their purposes and blended well even if not all of them really stuck with me. Maybe what didn't stick with me stuck with someone else. So. That's my two cents, I suppose. 8)
Alice

Cosplayer. Shinigami. Some know me as the Shiki.

FadingLight
Mud Man

Postby FadingLight » Sat May 21, 2016 10:20 pm

I don't hate any of the books, or really dislike them… I love all of them. I guess the one I love the least is The Eternity Code. There's nothing particularly wrong with it, and I loved it when I read it (in my case listened to its audiobook from the library because the paper version was checked out). I'm not sure… I suppose I get this feeling it's not particularly remarkable? I think that's just me, though. The first and last books are, well, the first and last books. All the books have moments that struck me and stuck with me for a while. TEC has those moments too, but either not as much, or the moments weren't as strong… I can't really tell. So I voted for TEC, but I love it anyways and it's mostly a matter of personal preference.
I said you were smart, Mud Boy. I was wrong; are exceptional.—Qwan
Which do you think seems more suspicious? An alien-looking craft hovering in the yard of a country home, or a floating doorway with a centaur standing in it?—Domovoi Butler
We can only change the future, not the past or present.—Artemis Fowl II
I'm trying to care, Artemis. But I thought it was all supposed to be over when the fat lady sings. Well, she's singing, but it doesn't appear to be over.—Holly Short

Chitiliti
Commander
Real First Name: Cait
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Chitiliti

Postby Chitiliti » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:57 am

imo the atlantis complex was just too much of a deviation. it didn't have the same atmosphere or plot structure as the other books, and the story was quite weak. sorry for being such a downer and also hashtag unpopular opinion, orion was kind of annoying.

that and i felt kind of weird about the psychiatric symptoms described in the book. they felt like stereotypes.

Troublelover16
Commander
Real First Name: Faith
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Troublelover16

Postby Troublelover16 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:02 pm

I don't really hate any of the books, but idk... The Lost Colony was cool and all but a lot of it was boring the first time I read it. Minerva and the demons were cool and all, but it was still pretty confusing. It just seemed out of place with everything else that had already happened in the series.

Troublelover's Song of the Moment:
~A Million Dreams-The Greatest Showman~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSQk-4fddDI&list=PL-g5PZBHrIvBgS53coxnE3hEqsS27d0JI&index=268

Spoiler:
They can say, they can say it all sounds crazy
They can say, they can say I've lost my mind
I don't care, I don't care, so call me crazy
We can live in a world that we design

'Cause every night I lie in bed
The brightest colors fill my head
A million dreams are keeping me awake
I think of what the world could be
A vision of the one I see
A million dreams is all it's gonna take
Oh, a million dreams for the world we're gonna make

2013 EA Winner of: The Friendly One, Best Taste in Avatars and Signatures,
Biggest AF Fanboy/Girl, Most Valued Non-Staff Contributor, Most Changed

2014/15 EA Winner of: Biggest Non-AF Fanboy/Girl

artytwin
Commander
Real First Name: Fatima

Postby artytwin » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:24 pm

I'm 90% sure it's The Atlantis Complex. I loved the series for Artemis's genius but in that book it wasn't there and I was honestly so disappointed :( It's not that I hated it, I just wished that it was like a side book and not a part of the series you know. :/

Florick
Cave Troll

Postby Florick » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:29 am

I love all the books but the Atlantis Complex was my least fav too. gold
Last edited by Florick on Mon May 15, 2017 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:00 am

Haha, ironically, I think the Atlantis Complex turned out to be one of my favorites instead of least favorites because it introduced one of the most interesting concepts of the series for me--that is, that Artemis develops a mental disease because of the guilt of all his crimes in the past books. There's something just amazing about that, thematically speaking.

However, at the same time, I did feel like there was a feeling of incompleteness about the Atlantis Complex that there wasn't in the other books. The idea that Artemis felt intense guilt for the things he had done was introduced, but it never felt satisfactorily resolved to me. (Basically, at the end of the book, Holly just tells Artemis 'You can just let it go,' and he's like, 'Really? You can do that?' which I suppose might be enough for guilt over something less extreme, but when you think of how Artemis was in the earlier books [and even what he did to Holly in The Time Paradox--though his reasons were understandable, it was still ruthless, and in terms of how it affected his friendship with Holly, was something he couldn't take back], it doesn't feel like near enough.)

And of course, in The Last Guardian, when we see Artemis cured of the complex, it's clearly more of a physical cure, and we don't really see him actually having worked through and dealt with the guilt. Which I found a disappointing part of the book. I did enjoy The Last Guardian a lot, but I think I would have enjoyed it more if part of the theme had been building more on what we saw in TAC, and acted kind of like a part 2.
Last edited by Rocket Axxonu on Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [An Artemis Fowl fanfiction, set after The Atlantic Complex.]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28912232/Artemis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

GravityNeon
Cave Troll

Postby GravityNeon » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:37 pm

I've read most of the replies in this forum and it seems most of us don't really hate a book, or at least not so strongly. I agree with that, I have favorites and I dislike some aspects of some books, but I don't hate any as a whole. I chose The Lost Colony, mainly because of the introduction of Minerva. And as Merv Simestra stated somewhere up there, demons seemed a bit "far-fetched". The series could do without them, I feel like 1 degree (the super strong magical warlock, I probably got his name wrong, it's been awhile since I read TLC. I know he appeared in other books, but currently I can't recall his name. This is a weak moment for me as an AF fan :( ) was sort of extra. The series was fine with them being extinct, we didn't really need them. It just got more complicated in TTP and I had a hard time choosing between the two as my least favorites. While TTP did wonders for the Arty-Holly ship, it didn't play it out well according to me.

Code: Select all

I feel like TLG could have accomplished the same and better if the kiss occurred before Holly was paralyzed.
However, earlier I mentioned that the main reason I dislike TLC is because of the introduction of Minerva. I disliked the idea of Artemis Fowl being pitted against a human genius. For me, the books portrayed Artemis as an evil genius who was different from the rest of humanity because he understood the fairies. He hated what humanity was doing to the environment originally because of his mom, but he also ended up doing it on his own. The first book told us that Artemis Fowl was the perfect person because he was young enough to believe in fairies but smart enough to exploit them. But then Minerva comes along, who is also perfect, but conveniently hasn't caught a fairy yet even though she and Artemis share a similar thought process. In the end, the main reason I chose TLC is because it brought along a whole lot of unnecessary stuff.

Kron48
Swear Toad
Real First Name: Max
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Uhh... Foaly Jr.?

Postby Kron48 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:57 am

GravityNeon wrote:I've read most of the replies in this forum and it seems most of us don't really hate a book, or at least not so strongly. I agree with that, I have favorites and I dislike some aspects of some books, but I don't hate any as a whole. I chose The Lost Colony, mainly because of the introduction of Minerva. And as Merv Simestra stated somewhere up there, demons seemed a bit "far-fetched". The series could do without them, I feel like 1 degree (the super strong magical warlock, I probably got his name wrong, it's been awhile since I read TLC. I know he appeared in other books, but currently I can't recall his name. This is a weak moment for me as an AF fan :( ) was sort of extra. The series was fine with them being extinct, we didn't really need them. It just got more complicated in TTP and I had a hard time choosing between the two as my least favorites. While TTP did wonders for the Arty-Holly ship, it didn't play it out well according to me.

Code: Select all

I feel like TLG could have accomplished the same and better if the kiss occurred before Holly was paralyzed.
However, earlier I mentioned that the main reason I dislike TLC is because of the introduction of Minerva. I disliked the idea of Artemis Fowl being pitted against a human genius. For me, the books portrayed Artemis as an evil genius who was different from the rest of humanity because he understood the fairies. He hated what humanity was doing to the environment originally because of his mom, but he also ended up doing it on his own. The first book told us that Artemis Fowl was the perfect person because he was young enough to believe in fairies but smart enough to exploit them. But then Minerva comes along, who is also perfect, but conveniently hasn't caught a fairy yet even though she and Artemis share a similar thought process. In the end, the main reason I chose TLC is because it brought along a whole lot of unnecessary stuff.

Wow really? I think TLC is one of my favorite books!
While I agree in that the Demons (and Number One) didn't necessarily NEED to be added, I'm glad that they did. #1 is one of my favorite characters. I think that saying that Artemis was pitted against a human genius was a good waypoint - that its showing how he has become more and more integrated with the People such that we now think of Artemis almost as an honorary member of their society (even though he was first introduced by kidnapping Holly). I think that its really useful to show that Minerva is pretty much an example of what Artemis was (in regards to kidnapping faires) and also what he would have become had he not crossed paths with the People (in that he would still be "evil"). I liked Artemis as an evil genius, but I also like how he is slowly becoming good. Maybe not lawful, but good at least. And yes, Demons may seem far-fetched, but really? Nuclear batteries? Stealth Ore? Magma flares? The SciFi elements only really go far enough to portray the story - kind of like how in Star Wars they have all this technology that is never explained, but in Star Trek they try to explain how a transporter and warp drive etc. works; it isn't just a story telling element. And if your overall reason that you think TLC is the worst is because of its unnecessary-ness. *ahem* TEC? :P.
I also think TLC is extremely important is because it is when Artemis first becomes magical, and really is now more Fairy (or at least fairy involved/oriented) then he is human, TTP pretty much only exists BECAUSE Artemis stole magic, as does TAC. Neither TTP nor TAC could exist without TLC.
I'm not trying to dis your opinion, I'm just sharing mine as well ^-^
"The end: It's gonna happen! But in the meantime, its on with the show. On with the show!" -Devo

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:26 am

Haha, I think it's really interesting, because I've noticed the fans really seem split down the middle on this—it seems like most people will either say, 'The first three were the best,' or 'the series really starts picking up with the later books.' I always wonder why that is. I think maybe it's because different people prefer different kinds of books, and in some way the later books don't follow the same formula as the earlier books. (In spite of characters like Damon Kronski, there's less of that crime fiction, die-hard feel in the later books, and the fantasy elements are more prominent. Also, Artemis is more of a good guy.)

But, anyway. x3

GravityNeon wrote:I feel like 1 degree (the super strong magical warlock, I probably got his name wrong, it's been awhile since I read TLC. I know he appeared in other books, but currently I can't recall his name. This is a weak moment for me as an AF fan :(

Haha, no, don't worry, you got the name about right. His name is actually Nº1, which the audiobooks pronounce as 'Number one.' (Though I usually write it as just No1 on the forums, so I don't have to go out of my way to insert a special character. x3) Although technically No1 could have chosen a name upon it being made known he was a warlock (if I'm remembering right, Qwan tells us that warlocks generally choose 'Qw' names), he choose to keep the name No1.

GravityNeon wrote: I chose The Lost Colony, mainly because of the introduction of Minerva. And as Merv Simestra stated somewhere up there, demons seemed a bit "far-fetched".[...] The first book told us that Artemis Fowl was the perfect person because he was young enough to believe in fairies but smart enough to exploit them. But then Minerva comes along, who is also perfect, but conveniently hasn't caught a fairy yet even though she and Artemis share a similar thought process.

I do see your point here. On the introduction of the demons, I remember on my first read, I didn't really feel any particular interest in their society or what they added to the story. I'm not sure why, it could be I was more interested in the James Bond-esque aspects of the AF series than the fantasy elements, and so naturally I was more interested in the Artemis/Minerva (and later Billy Kong) conflict than that. However, as I've read the series over more and gotten to know No1 a little more as a character, I've come to appreciate that aspect of the story more, particularly the role the demons played in the ancient conflict. (I really do wish we could have gotten some more of the history on the war—we do get some, but I feel like there might have been room for a lot more.)

On Minerva, this is a really interesting point. I know in other series I've read, I've sometimes been disappointed or dismayed when random characters are introduced who seem to have powers or abilities on par with the main character, when the main character has been built up to be the best of the best in some way. However, when it comes to Minerva and The Lost Colony, I'm with Kron, I absolutely love how Minerva's similarity to the Artemis of book one really brings out how far Artemis has come and how much he's changed. Minerva gives us a point of reference. I also thought she was about the perfect character to introduce this idea to the series of romance, which hadn't really played a role up to this point. Minerva's similar interests and abilities to Artemis make her about the only kind of girl he would have reason to have that initial interest in.

I think also part of the reason I didn't have a problem with Minerva's similar mental powers to Artemis was that she never in the book came close to overshadowing him in any way. First, Minerva doesn't come across as 'more evil' than Artemis, which I think would have been a problem for the series if she did. Artemis's ruthlessness is one of the things that set him apart from other children his age, so for someone else to come along who's more different in the same way would overshadow him. (Plus, if Minerva was shown to be more ruthless and diabolical than Artemis, a change of heart on her part would be more significant than Artemis's, which is something I wouldn't have cared for—I feel like it's better for Artemis, as the main character, to have had the more significant transformation in the series.) However, we see very clearly Minerva, though slightly ruthless and doing something that may not be altogether above board (kidnapping a sentient alien species), is ultimately acting for a good cause. In that respect, she's more of a normal kid than Artemis is.

Second, though Artemis admires her technique, ultimately she never is able to outmaneuver him, and he has the upper hand, and wins out in the end. This makes sense, as Artemis is the one with full knowledge of the fairy people, and also in light of their differing backgrounds. (Artemis, as the son of a crime lord, is an expert on strategy and maneuvers in a kind of combat situation, whereas for Minerva, though she's smart enough to come up with a good workable plan, kidnapping is not something she has any particular expertise in or experience with. She is not as comfortable breaking the law as Artemis is. Her skillset, while compared to Artemis's and similar in some ways, is different based on their backgrounds.)

Kron48 wrote:I also think TLC is extremely important is because it is when Artemis first becomes magical, and really is now more Fairy (or at least fairy involved/oriented) then he is human, TTP pretty much only exists BECAUSE Artemis stole magic, as does TAC. Neither TTP nor TAC could exist without TLC.

I completely agree with that, I think TLC introduced a lot of key elements. It was because of the introduction of No1 and return of the demon warlocks that the time travel in TTP was possible. And, I would also argue that it was the ending of TLC, where Artemis and Holly's relationship reached a new level it had never been before (first, with Artemis saving Holly's life, and then when they return, realizing that three years had passed—to have skipped ahead like that while the world keeps moving would be a pretty jarring, isolating experience), that ultimately laid the groundwork for the events relationship-wise in TTP. Overall, I would say TLC is one of my favorites of the series, either my second or third.

Return to “Artemis Fowl Talk”