"Airman" - Official AFC Discussion Thread

Discuss the author and his other works.
athenadowell
Atlantean

Re: "Airman" - Official AFC Discussion Thread

Postby athenadowell » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:00 am

Pretty close. It's Sean. XD I loved the part where he asked Declan to tell him a Conor story. It was so adorable~ ^^
And the part where Declan shot the balloon that Conor used to escape.
I love this part:
In the orange glow of electric orbs, Declan could see that his wife was crying. Her husband had come home. It was so touching. T.T

(Sorry, I kind of get really into it whenever I read a book. Especially one that I really like. :D)

So, you've never read it? Just heard it from the audio book?
"Trust me. I'm a genius." Artemis Fowl II
"Whatever they're paying me, it isn't enough." Foaly

Tyrison
Ty(rosine)
Real First Name: Mary
Location: Preferably in a good book, AFC, writing fanfic, or working on my novel. ^_^

Postby Tyrison » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:36 pm

Ahh, okay. Heh...I was close! And yeah, I loved those parts too.

(It's okay. :P )

I started reading it, when it'd just come out, but my mom found it somewhere, stuck it in her library bag, and took it back to the library before I could finish it. Reason:Apparently, it was 'too old' for me. Image

But yeah, I really enjoyed it. :)
The quandary of Autumn's child
I'm not sure if falling leaves
are merely butterflies that
have died or photographs
we don't remember taking.

GUS'S DISCIPLES OF SEMI-SEXY, TAKING OVER THE WORLD!
Official Secret AFC Agent 008 ~ Since whenever

But this morning, there's a calm I can't explain; The rock candy's melted, only diamonds now remain...

athenadowell
Atlantean

Postby athenadowell » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:07 am

What? Airman's for teens, isn't it? XD
Wow. Your mom sounds strict. Lol.
"Trust me. I'm a genius." Artemis Fowl II
"Whatever they're paying me, it isn't enough." Foaly

Tyrison
Ty(rosine)
Real First Name: Mary
Location: Preferably in a good book, AFC, writing fanfic, or working on my novel. ^_^

Postby Tyrison » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:45 pm

Heh...she can be, but a lot of times it's because she worries wayyy too much about me. :P Most of the time, I don't mind, so long as she's not trying to keep me from reading stuff that I KNOW is fine.
The quandary of Autumn's child
I'm not sure if falling leaves
are merely butterflies that
have died or photographs
we don't remember taking.

GUS'S DISCIPLES OF SEMI-SEXY, TAKING OVER THE WORLD!
Official Secret AFC Agent 008 ~ Since whenever

But this morning, there's a calm I can't explain; The rock candy's melted, only diamonds now remain...

evil pixie
Sprite

Postby evil pixie » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:17 pm

I found Airman in the junior section.
anyways, I LOVED IT! I loved the part in the beginning
Spoiler:
when he meets his teacher Victor Vigney and in the middle when Wynter tells him about his music and in the end where he takes his walk with Isabella. (ahhh... so romantic)
It is my favorite Eoin Colfer book besides AF.
Someparts kinda reminded me of Holes by Louis Sachar
Someparts kinda reminded me of Dragonwing by Laurence Yep
I don't know why I hadn't read it earlier.
I like the word evil. Scramble it a little, and you get vile and live. Good on the other hand, is just a command to go do.-Jodi Picoult, The Tenth Circle

A monkey glances up and sees a banana, and that's as far as he looks. A visionary looks up and sees the moon.-Victor Vigney

---98% of teenagers do or have tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.---

space_rabbit92
Swear Toad

Postby space_rabbit92 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:57 pm

I almost burst into tears when Wynter was no longer in the prison with Conor. I really though that he died but when the landlord mentioned: "This blind fella" I was instantly ---> O____O OMFGWTHBBQ YESSSS.

Wynter is a really amazing character, although he was blind. I really do hope that Eoin Colfer could continue to write the second book :) What if Bonvilain managed to survive? Another epic fight, wee :laughing:

Witty name here
Atlantean

Postby Witty name here » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:14 pm

space_rabbit92 wrote:I really do hope that Eoin Colfer could continue to write the second book :) What if Bonvilain managed to survive? Another epic fight, wee :laughing:

I beg to differ. I feel that Airman, just like The Wish List, needs to remain a standalone. A sequel would ruin it, methinks.
"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
- The Restaurant at the End of the Universe - Douglas Adams.

Lightbulb621
Orangeylicious Queen

Postby Lightbulb621 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:05 am

Yeah, Airman doesn't seem like a book that should have a sequel. But something like The Half Moon Investigations would be amazing.
Gus Revolution
I heart my giant orange plushie and fluffy orange doggy. AG&Tyrie<3
Member of the Obnoxious Teenagers Club.
Official Secret AFC Agent
twitter outline behance

BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter

Postby BkkprGirl » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:10 pm

While this is one of my favorite Colfer books.... I definatly found a flaw.

When Conor and Victor are fighting, Victor uses the phrase "Engarde" to mean "Begin fencing". Which it really doesn't. I began taking fencing a few weeks ago, and get this: engarde simply means : get into the fencing position. The stance that you take when you begin fighting is called the "Engarde" stance.

To really begin fencing, you first salute your opponent, and then someone says "Engarde", and both opponents get into the engarde position with your feet spread apart and your foil slightly raised. Doesn't at all mean start whacking the heck out of each other. Then, one opponent says "Ready?" and the other one replies "Begin," or "Fence". This is to make sure that one opponent doesn't start before the other is prepared, to make things fairer.

Also, I'm not quite sure if he went into this in detail or not, but foils are not used for sabre fencing. Foil fencing and Sabre fencing are two completely different types of swordfighting, and a foil and a sabre are two different types of sword. The handle of a sabre is shaped just like that of a pirate sword: with the handle shaped thing and the hand guard (I don't take sabre so I don't know what they're called). You grip the handle a completely different way, therefore the style of fighting is completely different. A foil is pretty much a metal stick with a hand guard on it.

So yeah. Some technical difficulties with the fencing parts of the book.
"Stories are the only thing worth dying for."
~The Unwritten

evil pixie
Sprite

Postby evil pixie » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:36 am

That is probably true, but I don't think they bother to do all those stuff. Like on TV, they usually just yell Engarde and charge.
I like the word evil. Scramble it a little, and you get vile and live. Good on the other hand, is just a command to go do.-Jodi Picoult, The Tenth Circle

A monkey glances up and sees a banana, and that's as far as he looks. A visionary looks up and sees the moon.-Victor Vigney

---98% of teenagers do or have tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.---

BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter

Postby BkkprGirl » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:54 pm

Yes, but when you consider that Victor was actually teaching Conor to fence.... I dunno. It just irked me. He even had someone comment on Conor saying 'engarde' when he started fighting. It's not so much the ignoring the salute and the "ready, fence" thing, it's how he used the term in a completely different way than it's supposed to. If you charged when someone yelled 'Engarde!" in real life, it would be called cheating.
~The Unwritten

IzzyTehMuse
Applied Phlebotinum
Applied Phlebotinum

Postby IzzyTehMuse » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:03 am

Prolly old news to most of y'all, but apparently they will be making a movie. Saw the info on IMDB, release date to be 2010 if I remember correctly!
EOIN ON THE SILVER SCREEN! YEEEEE!
"Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all of those things—trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones[." - Puddleglum, The Silver Chair

"I have had to believe a great deal in God because I have lost my belief in men." -Elias, Noli Me Tangere

"The price of freedom is learning to coexist with that which you hate." -- My
cousin.
*rapes* I love you, Izzy. :P

Witty name here
Atlantean

Postby Witty name here » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:33 pm

IzzyTehMuse wrote:Prolly old news to most of y'all, but apparently they will be making a movie. Saw the info on IMDB, release date to be 2010 if I remember correctly!
EOIN ON THE SILVER SCREEN! YEEEEE!

The bad part is that their making it in CGI (I think), I'd prefer live action... But oh well, it's gonna be exciting! Airman would probably make a great movie, methinks. With a little luck, AF'll be relased the same year too - two EC movies in one year! Yay!
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."

BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter

Postby BkkprGirl » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:02 pm

W-what?! An Airman movie?!! HOW COULD I NOT HAVE KNOWN ABOUT THIS?!

But.... CGI? Like, Finding Nemo CGI or Beowulf CGI? Big difference. I'm excited, anyway!
~The Unwritten

Witty name here
Atlantean

Postby Witty name here » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:38 pm

BkkprGirl wrote:W-what?! An Airman movie?!! HOW COULD I NOT HAVE KNOWN ABOUT THIS?!

But.... CGI? Like, Finding Nemo CGI or Beowulf CGI? Big difference. I'm excited, anyway!

I'm pretty sure it's Beowulf CGI.

Return to “Eoin Colfer”