"Airman" - Official AFC Discussion Thread

Discuss the author and his other works.
evil pixie
Sprite

Re: "Airman" - Official AFC Discussion Thread

Postby evil pixie » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:38 pm

CGI? Is that, like, animated?
NOO! Airman should have real action! I love action movies!
I like the word evil. Scramble it a little, and you get vile and live. Good on the other hand, is just a command to go do.-Jodi Picoult, The Tenth Circle

A monkey glances up and sees a banana, and that's as far as he looks. A visionary looks up and sees the moon.-Victor Vigney

---98% of teenagers do or have tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.---

Voldy
Here's my card.
Here's my card.

Postby Voldy » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:32 am

evil pixie wrote:CGI? Is that, like, animated?

CGI is Computer-Generated Imagery. It is 3-D animation, like the Pixar films and also Beowulf, as was mentioned.

Just wanted to explain that briefly. XD

evil pixie
Sprite

Postby evil pixie » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:30 pm

Voldy wrote:
evil pixie wrote:CGI? Is that, like, animated?

CGI is Computer-Generated Imagery. It is 3-D animation, like the Pixar films and also Beowulf, as was mentioned.

Just wanted to explain that briefly. XD

I do love pixar, but I can't imagine Airman in CGI.
I like the word evil. Scramble it a little, and you get vile and live. Good on the other hand, is just a command to go do.-Jodi Picoult, The Tenth Circle

A monkey glances up and sees a banana, and that's as far as he looks. A visionary looks up and sees the moon.-Victor Vigney

---98% of teenagers do or have tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.---

ArtemisFowl III
Gremlin

Airman

Postby ArtemisFowl III » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:46 am

It was awesome!

Conor Broekhart was a hero. Though the ending was a bit quick.....
Now that, my boy, is talent

Tyrison
Ty(rosine)
Real First Name: Mary
Location: Preferably in a good book, AFC, writing fanfic, or working on my novel. ^_^

Postby Tyrison » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:50 pm

Since there was a parallel thread, I merged yours with it; go ahead an talk about Airman on here, mkay?
The quandary of Autumn's child
I'm not sure if falling leaves
are merely butterflies that
have died or photographs
we don't remember taking.

GUS'S DISCIPLES OF SEMI-SEXY, TAKING OVER THE WORLD!
Official Secret AFC Agent 008 ~ Since whenever

But this morning, there's a calm I can't explain; The rock candy's melted, only diamonds now remain...

centaur_lover
Tunnel Blue Spider

Postby centaur_lover » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:34 pm

For me, it was hard to believe that the same author wrote Airman and Artemis Fowl, the two were DRASTICALLY different from each other...

"'It's CENTAUR. All caps.' (Artemis) Below the earth's crust, Foaly stored the compliment in the corner of him that stored treasured memories. He would take that out later and gloat over..."
-Artemis Fowl: The time paradox (pg 89)

"Jon Spiro might have "stuff" that the military didn't have, but Artemis Fowl had "stuff" that humans had never seen."
-Artemis Fowl: The eternity Code (pg 175)
[/b]

AliceRuth
Swear Toad

Postby AliceRuth » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:19 pm

I agree that it was quite different. But I LOVED this book. Amazing plot/characters...
But....... a...... MOVIE?! I had no idea!!!!!!!! Wow! And I agree with everyone who thinks that live action would be so much better. Oh well, I'm sure {at least I hope} it'll still be fab.
athenadowell wrote:
I love this part:
In the orange glow of electric orbs, Declan could see that his wife was crying. Her husband had come home. It was so touching. T.T

I totally agree! That was one of the sweetest, most touching parts of the entire book IMO.... I also loved the part where Declan had to stop Sean from climbing too near the window.
"If I win, I'm a prodigy. If I lose then I'm mad. That's the way history is written." - Artemis Fowl II

"Caveman glasses off. Cool voice, by the way. Doh ray me and all that." -Juliet Butler

". . . or maybe a mechanical dinosaur. "- Artemis Fowl II

"While I can, I sail east in the Dawn Treader. When she fails me, I paddle east in my coracle. When she sinks, I shall swim east with my four paws. And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise and Peepiceek will be head of the talking mice in Narnia." - Reepicheep

centaur_lover
Tunnel Blue Spider

Postby centaur_lover » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:55 am

I liked the book, a great action filled one, but come on! i liked Conor Finn
Spoiler:
too bad he had to "die"

but overall, i think EC should stay away from romances... its just my opinion but romances are not his forte... & thats ok, there is PLENTY to write about without romance! but yeah, leave romances to people like Stephanie meyer & them...

"'It's CENTAUR. All caps.' (Artemis) Below the earth's crust, Foaly stored the compliment in the corner of him that stored treasured memories. He would take that out later and gloat over..."
-Artemis Fowl: The time paradox (pg 89)

"Jon Spiro might have "stuff" that the military didn't have, but Artemis Fowl had "stuff" that humans had never seen."
-Artemis Fowl: The eternity Code (pg 175)
[/b]

AliceRuth
Swear Toad

Postby AliceRuth » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:21 pm

Come on, it wasn't that bad! I thought Isabella/Conor's romance was sweet, not OTT like so many other authors make them.
And I loved some of the touching things Declan/Catherine said to one another...
:)
"If I win, I'm a prodigy. If I lose then I'm mad. That's the way history is written." - Artemis Fowl II

"Caveman glasses off. Cool voice, by the way. Doh ray me and all that." -Juliet Butler

". . . or maybe a mechanical dinosaur. "- Artemis Fowl II

"While I can, I sail east in the Dawn Treader. When she fails me, I paddle east in my coracle. When she sinks, I shall swim east with my four paws. And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise and Peepiceek will be head of the talking mice in Narnia." - Reepicheep

Witty name here
Atlantean

Postby Witty name here » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:32 pm

centaur_lover wrote:I liked the book, a great action filled one, but come on! i liked Conor Finn
Spoiler:
too bad he had to "die"

but overall, i think EC should stay away from romances... its just my opinion but romances are not his forte... & thats ok, there is PLENTY to write about without romance! but yeah, leave romances to people like Stephanie meyer & them...

Totally disagree on the romance part. While he's not exactly the master of romance, I think he did a fairly good job on the Conor/Isabella romance. While it was pretty sweet, he added some well-done awkwardness to it as well (pretty funny, not corny and he didn't let it go overboard) and when they were talking to each other it felt pretty realistic. Also, his feelings for Isabella was one of the many things that motivated him to escape. Sure, it was not really in depth, but it was only a subplot so that's understandable. So while he's better at other things (action, humour, etc), he's not bad at romance (unlike Stephenie Meyer, who is terrible at that and writing in general) and it works as a minor thing in his novels.
"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
- The Restaurant at the End of the Universe - Douglas Adams.

Sharifonix
Cave Troll

Postby Sharifonix » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:08 am

I've read it and I really liked it. After Artemis Fowl(The series) I think that I like Airman And The Supernaturalist best. The last two I both enjoyed very much.

Not that I didn't like The Wishlist and Half Moon Investigations I did, very much so! Just if I had to make a list it would look like this:

- Artemis Fowl (Series)
- Airman/Supernaturalist
- The Wishlist
- Half Moon Investigations

Okay.. sorry.. anyway..

I wonder if Colfer will deside to do a second Airman book, too. I'm not sure if I would like that. I think I do, but I'm not sure. How would you guys feel about it, if he desides to do a second book.

(Sorry if this question had already been asked, but I don't have the time to read everything right now, cause I have to get ready for school. (And I kinda sneaked on the computer, hehe..)

Raineesun
Special Agent of Mr. Shiny
Real First Name: Bethy c:

Postby Raineesun » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:05 am

Witty name here wrote:
centaur_lover wrote:i think EC should stay away from romances... its just my opinion but romances are not his forte... & thats ok, there is PLENTY to write about without romance! but yeah, leave romances to people like Stephanie meyer & them...

Totally disagree on the romance part. While he's not exactly the master of romance, I think he did a fairly good job on the Conor/Isabella romance. While it was pretty sweet, he added some well-done awkwardness to it as well (pretty funny, not corny and he didn't let it go overboard) and when they were talking to each other it felt pretty realistic. Also, his feelings for Isabella was one of the many things that motivated him to escape. Sure, it was not really in depth, but it was only a subplot so that's understandable. So while he's better at other things (action, humour, etc), he's not bad at romance and it works as a minor thing in his novels.

Yeah, I agree. I don't think he should ONLY do romance, that would suck, but he does awesome LITTLE ones that add detail to the books that he writes with such things in them.

All in all I think Airman was an AWESOME book, and it deserves another one... but that's what I think aboubt almost all books. :/

So! I would say I'm glad he didn't go overboard with the whole Connor/Isabella thing and I'm glad he didn't make it corny (which is about the same thing) shoooo, like I said, it was a good book!
Ones that could hope to change anything
Are ones who could bear to abandon anything
Without bearing any risk at all
How could you hope to attain anything?
Victory to the charging slaves!
Feuerroter Pfeil und Bogen ~ Attack on Titan
signature credit: ~tammypain

Cat Moon
Commander
Location: HIVE - The Higher Institute of Villainous Education

Postby Cat Moon » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:02 pm

I loved Airman SO much. It was amazing, because it was so different to Artemis Fowl, but still REALLY good - most authors can only do one genre.

I think the romance is one of the things which make EC's books so amazing, because you still have your action which was why you loved it in the first place, but he sort of integrates it in lightly and doesn't overdo it- it's brilliant because some authors start with a really good action-packed plot and then get so hung-up on the romance in later books that all the fans just dribble away...but in EC's books it just makes you like them more!

Will there REALLY be a movie? I am going to see it! But live action would be better.
Thankyou for my avvie, Rain! I luv it!!! :laughing:

Do not let the Cat out. No matter what I tell you. :shiny:

Never say that! Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! Because if we fail, I'd rather fail really hugely. All or nothing!
~Moist von Lipwig

+++Out of cheese+++Divide by Cucumber Error+++Please reinstall universe and reboot+++~Discworld

bluesunrise
Bubbly Queen of Blue
AFC Fan Fiction Name: bluesunrise

Postby bluesunrise » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:55 am

The Artemis Fowl series and Airman are my favorite books by him. The latter was really good. I loved the whole Connor/Isabella thing. If they do make a movie of it, it has to be live action, otherwise I'm going to be very angry!

The Doctor/Rose=BEST SHIP EVER!

THENEWFOWL
Mud Man
AFC Fan Fiction Name: THENEWFOWL

Postby THENEWFOWL » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:18 pm

yea i agree with bluesunrise, airman is awesome it tops my least favorate af book ( the eternity code) if ec can do a sequal without tearing the story great, but i dont see that happening, then again af didnt look like a book with a sequal, and the artic insedent is now my favorate in the series. this looks like an epic movie could come from the book, and with todays specal effects it could happen in live action and not mess up, but with ec luck on movies it isnt going to happen soon.
randomness is bliss- me
all comments will be taken, not all comments will be taken seriously-me

Return to “Eoin Colfer”