8%

Total votes: 73

bentj96
Ruler of the People
Real First Name: Steven
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Dark Star

Re: The Truth?

Postby bentj96 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:53 am

OMG! DID YOU EVEN READ MY COMMENT! THEY EXIST IN YOUR HEAD!

Please, please try to read what has been written while you were gone. Believe and exist are not the same thing though. Believe means you think the are real, in the real world. Exist means that they exist, somewhere, in or on something.
Also known as Dark Star.

---98% of teenagers do or have tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.---

I WON the game.

Glow sticks glow when snapped. Why can't my leg?

"How? She gonna blink Morse code?" -Amaury Nolasco (Prison Break: The Final Break)

http://www.fanfiction.net/~lorddarkstar

IzzyTehMuse
Applied Phlebotinum
Applied Phlebotinum

Postby IzzyTehMuse » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:26 am

bentj96 wrote:YOU ARE THE WORST IF YOU VOTED NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! They exist! In the books! If you think they don't exist then this message is to you,

YOU ARE THE WORST AF FAN EVER!

You technically they do exist? It's true! According to Einstein, I think it is.

bentj96 wrote:OMG! DID YOU EVEN READ MY COMMENT! THEY EXIST IN YOUR HEAD!

Please, please try to read what has been written while you were gone. Believe and exist are not the same thing though. Believe means you think the are real, in the real world. Exist means that they exist, somewhere, in or on something.

This transition doesn't even make sense, DLF.
Please try to clarify. :D
"Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all of those things—trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones[." - Puddleglum, The Silver Chair

"I have had to believe a great deal in God because I have lost my belief in men." -Elias, Noli Me Tangere

"The price of freedom is learning to coexist with that which you hate." -- My
cousin.
*rapes* I love you, Izzy. :P

bentj96
Ruler of the People

Postby bentj96 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:15 am

It's been a couple of days since then, if you read my other comments it should explain.
Also known as Dark Star.

---98% of teenagers do or have tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.---

I WON the game.

"How? She gonna blink Morse code?" -Amaury Nolasco (Prison Break: The Final Break)

IzzyTehMuse
Applied Phlebotinum
Applied Phlebotinum

Postby IzzyTehMuse » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:21 am

Ok, so from what I'm seeing here

When the person who wrote the thread referred to "exist" they mean "exist" in a real sense. If you are going to redefine "Real" within a thread....let us know when you're doing it.

Therefore, when you said: "Whoever doesn't believe in them is a loser" (paraphrase...essentially). People thought: "He thinks that whoever doesn't believe in fairies existing in our world as described by Eoin Colfer, is a loser."

What you were actually saying, I'm not quite sure. Something to the extent of whoever doesn't accept them in their imagination is a loser.

Which is slightly absurd as most people who read the books at some time, have to accept them in their brain as they read the story

That's what I'm gettin' from all this.

Help me out, buddy.
"Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all of those things—trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones[." - Puddleglum, The Silver Chair

"I have had to believe a great deal in God because I have lost my belief in men." -Elias, Noli Me Tangere

cousin.

bentj96
Ruler of the People

Postby bentj96 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:41 am

Exactly what I meant, if you don't believe in them even in your imagination, then you aren't a fan.
Also known as Dark Star.

I WON the game.

IzzyTehMuse
Applied Phlebotinum
Applied Phlebotinum

Postby IzzyTehMuse » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:46 am

That's a wee bit obvious, my dear lad. But true.
Glad we were able to clear that up!
~!zzy

cousin.

crystal_clear
but you can call me Awesome
Real First Name: O rlly nao?

Postby crystal_clear » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:08 am

Umm, that's a little bit confusing, but that doesn't mean you need to lash out on the people who said no because they didn't fully understand the question you were trying to ask.

I mean, when you ask someone if they think Santa Claus exists, and they say no, they're taking it the way that is implied "does Santa Claus exist on-this-earth" and usually that means in real life. You're taking it into a whole new level of complicated when you ask if they exist and always expect a yes because, *ahem* yes, you see this book here? Yeah, this has Santa Claus in it. So obviously he exists.

You could say the same thing for "real". If I were an extreme Santa enthusiast and I went up to someone with my question "Do you think Santa is real?" and they said no. I could be like "Well obviously you're a hater of jolly old fat men who give gifts to good little boys and girls because this here book is real, the person who wrote this book is real, their mind is real, so OBVIOUSLY santa claus is real.

In the end, I have to say, that if you don't think fairies exist in your own imagination, then why did you read the series. Maybe the person did it for laughs... because it was simply absurd. But if they like the general story line, that doesn't make them the worst fan ever. You could really hurt some feelings by doing this.

You weren't even the one to create this thread, so who are you to change the definition of "exist" from the way the author put it.

Most people who said no probably meant "no, they don't exist in real life".

I still stand by my yes, because life would be super boring without fairies to dream about... and heat hazes to jump at on a warm summer day.
Facebook: Stealing every aspect of your daily life and using it in our plan to dominate the world through mind control and hamster wheels since 2006.

IzzyTehMuse
Applied Phlebotinum
Applied Phlebotinum

Postby IzzyTehMuse » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:11 am

You just hate Jolly old FAT men.... *rofl* Oh how you amuse me, CC.

I agree with your assessment that his logic is a bit convoluted. Well, more than a bit, I'd say. (Sorry, Bentj, but if you think about it...)

I do NOT believe that fairies exist in RL; but I happily entertain them in my brain. :laughing:

cousin.

bentj96
Ruler of the People

Postby bentj96 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:31 am

Exactly my point, they exist in your brain. But not on this dimension. Then maybe our brains are on a different plane of existence or dimension?
Also known as Dark Star.

I WON the game.

silverphoenix
Elf

Postby silverphoenix » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:01 pm

"I believe in fairies, I believe in fairies, I believe in fairies..." Okay, I'm going to stop quoting Peter Pan now. Fairies might actually exist, just not on Earth. Except they will be known as aliens then.
"Did someone say Draco Malfoy?"

bentj96
Ruler of the People

Postby bentj96 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:23 am

They are not likely to exist anywhere else besides on books and in our minds. They will be know as Supernatural Creatures. Probably SNC5. Maybe...
Also known as Dark Star.

I WON the game.

IzzyTehMuse
Applied Phlebotinum
Applied Phlebotinum

Postby IzzyTehMuse » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:46 am

Nephilim...Nephilim... they are MY explanation for the paranormal.

And demons...but they're kinda the same thing...

:D :blush:

cousin.

bentj96
Ruler of the People

Postby bentj96 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:38 am

I'm not even sure what that means. :laughing: Normally supernatural creatures are just a figment of the human imagination, or maybe hallucinations.
Also known as Dark Star.

I WON the game.

IzzyTehMuse
Applied Phlebotinum
Applied Phlebotinum

Postby IzzyTehMuse » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:15 am

Eh heh heh.
Nephilim show up in the Bible (Yep, I believe in the Bible) and if you study them a bit, they are quite mysterious.
Basically the whole concept is that when Angels came and bred with Humans (Which is why God initiated the Flood...) the result were Nephilim: Half-angel/Half-human. Now what happens when you kill such a thing? What happens to the Angel component? Angels don't really die. They are spirits, although they can materialize in human form. The theory is that the half-angel parts of the Nephilim became commonly known as demons.
Most people think of demons as the "fallen angels" that followed Satan/Lucifer, however this doesn't make sense. Demons are always trying to possess something. To obtain a body of some sort. Angels can just materialize...like that. They don't need a "host" as it were.
My theory is that the nephilim/demons are really what is behind all these paranormal creatures. Aliens (note: from research I've seen, aliens are always abducting people to figure out how to reproduce. To find a body. Maybe they have some patched-up foul body and are trying to breed a host race?) and whatnot. Ghosts: demons.

I do also believe that many "sightings" of the paranormal are, indeed, hallucinations.

Now that you are totally freaked out and think I am a complete psychopath...I'll shut up!
:P
~!zzy
P.S. this was not meant to derail the thread into a "Do you believe in the Bible" debate. There's a thread for that in the debate section. If you wanna take it up, PM me and we can go there!

cousin.

bentj96
Ruler of the People

Postby bentj96 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:20 am

I'm THERE ALL RIGHT! Well, that could be possible, but I doubt it. Maybe fairies and other such creatures are off springs of us? The weird monsters would probably be just made up by some random guy. Or maybe there are a super advanced race of humans who make these things? Or maybe ancient immortal people? I read this in a book, it really made a lot of sense. The book is The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel.
Also known as Dark Star.

I WON the game.

Return to “Eoin Colfer”