Religion in Eoin Colfer's books

Discuss the author and his other works.
Fangirlwhocanspell
Gremlin

Religion in Eoin Colfer's books

Postby Fangirlwhocanspell » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:46 pm

I'd like to discuss some Religious aspects in Colfer's books. I haven't read all of them, only Artemis Fowl series, the Supernaturalist, and Airman. What do you think is Colfer's stance on Religion? After all, an author's views are very much reflected in their books like in CS Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia.

- The Supernaturalist. Cosmo and Ziplock are running away. (My memory is fading) and it starts raining or something, and Ziplock looks to the sky and says, "I think someone up there likes us."
- The Afterlife is mentioned by Ditto as being "different." Not much is described about it other than that.

in Artemis Fowl-
- Artemis Fowl, the Booke of the People is mentioned to being their "Bible." Why not their "Torah" or, I don't know, "Koran"? Do you think it would be controversial otherwise?
- TAI, They're talking about Mulch and Root says, "I wonder if he's looking down on us right now..."
-TEC, Butler pretends to be back from the dead, he says to Arno, "There is a hell, I've come to take you there." Upon being asked what he must do to escape, Butler tells Arno, "Confess your sins to the authorities..." (Again, my memory is fading so this is not exact.)
- TTP I've found more religious stuff. Artemis seems to be very Anti-Darwin, though after a long debate he concludes it's not that bad of a theory, even if it has more holes than a dam made of swiss cheese... The "holes' are not discussed, but this intrigued me, and I went to the internet and found that it's actually pretty true. Making Artemis, a child genius and prodigy not believing in Evolution unlike it seems most smart people do, it seems like Colfer is making a statement or something.
- There is also a scene where Holly is cornered by extintionists and helpless. She looks to heaven and cries, "Save me," and then it starts to rain diamonds. Of course, this is not a celestial being that threw the diamonds but Artemis helping out, but who do you think Holly was saying that to?
- The Dwarf god of luck "Shammy," Opal Koboi comes along and Mulch thinks "So much for Shammy"

In the Wish List God, Heaven, and the Devil are talked about very "explicitly." I haven't read it though. Do you think God exists in the Artemis Fowl universe?
And I can't remember anything about Airman so yeah

Multiverse
Elf

Re: Religion in Eoin Colfer's books

Postby Multiverse » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:00 pm

An interesting discussion, and it´s interesting that it should be started by someone who haven´t read The Wish List. :laughing:

I don´t have The Wish List, and I only read it once, years ago, so I´m not going to comment on that.
But you´re right that in AF, we´re often shown that most characters are in some way religious. Which, I agree, very much looks like an intentional statement from the author.
As for The Supernaturalist, it´s concerned by, well, the supernatural, and as such, we have to accept that supernatural creatures exist. As I see it, immortal souls would not neccessarily have to be any kind of religious statement, given the context.

evilopalrocks!
Heavenly Huntress
Real First Name: Eden

Postby evilopalrocks! » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:32 pm

I think that it doesnt make a statment using the word 'bible', because everyone understands what it means. if it would have said 'torah', 'Koran' or whatever, then that would make a statment. its pretty much like when you say that somone was sad 'he looked like christmas was delayed'. Its not stating anything, its a phrase that people can understand no matter what there religion. generally, I think that whole phrase thing goes for all the stuff about hell, or preying, or whatever.
(about the 'Torah' thing, the Torah is only the first out of 3 parts of the bible, though it mentions all the laws [some laws were learned from the other parts of the bible, but are mainly focused there])
about the evolution thing, I'm pretty sure there are other theories that are non-religious and are anti-evolutionary. besides, the religious theories also has holes which I dont see artemis forgiving simply because of religious belief of any kind. (and I'm saying the religious holes part as a highly religious person. it has holes. I choose to keep beliving, but I dont see Artemis doing somthing like that.)
anyway, I think the fairies are pretty religious, they have that kind of stuff.
another thing that should be mentioned,in the first book, when Holly is described, they say she is the great grand daughter od Cupid. that has somthing kinda wierd in it....
Hi people.
I have something very important to tell you.
But now I forgot what it was.
Maybe I'll remember later. who knows.
If I will, I'll be sure to write it. So..... Yeah.
Dismissed. Carry on.

evilopalrocks!
Heavenly Huntress

Postby evilopalrocks! » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:23 pm

correction: I dont think the fairies are religious. I think maybe in the past they were but no longer belive it any super-natural powers (that are not theirs). but since they used to be, they were left with denomination-like habits. they dont belive somone up there likes them, its simply a phrase.
Hi people.
Dismissed. Carry on.

levina
Commander

Postby levina » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:04 am

:)
Last edited by levina on Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

faeryenchanter^^
Centaur
Real First Name: Kat
AFC Fan Fiction Name: faeryenchanter

Postby faeryenchanter^^ » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:16 pm

I think Colfer is Christian... Lots of evidence. Just don't have time to write it down:(
All that jazz!

hyunjoonglovie
Elf
Real First Name: Jess :P

Postby hyunjoonglovie » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:36 pm

I don't think, sorry Fairy for disagreeing, that Colfer follows any particular religion, or if he does, then he doesn't deliberately intend to manipulate his audiences, or include phases like the 'bible' for a symbolic purpose.

I think it's the same as me saying "For God's Sake". Now, I'm as atheist as they come, but I use this phase, and other's like it, quite often but it sure as Hell doesn't mean I'm Christian. Basically, I'm implying that it may just be the cause of habit.

Also, I think he may have used the word 'bible' because he knew that his readers were more familiar with that term, rather than, for example, 'Torah'. Authors, especially those whom have a very young target audience, must write in a manner that flows, for the sake of the reader's enjoyment and understanding.
We all have a dark side...

Spoiler:
That awkward moment when someone says "hi" to you, and you reply with "I'm good"... -_-

That shite moment in an argument when you realise you are wrong...

That awesome moment when the teacher asks you a question, thinking you weren't being attentive. Then you answer it right, it's like "What now! WIN!!!"

That depressing moment when your mum scribbles on the award your school gave you in congratulations for all your hard work, just to get her stupid pen to work D':

But you love me XD

evilopalrocks!
Heavenly Huntress

Postby evilopalrocks! » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:33 pm

hyunjoonglovie wrote:I don't think, sorry Fairy for disagreeing, that Colfer follows any particular religion, or if he does, then he doesn't deliberately intend to manipulate his audiences, or include phases like the 'bible' for a symbolic purpose.

I think it's the same as me saying "For God's Sake". Now, I'm as atheist as they come, but I use this phase, and other's like it, quite often but it sure as Hell doesn't mean I'm Christian. Basically, I'm implying that it may just be the cause of habit.

Also, I think he may have used the word 'bible' because he knew that his readers were more familiar with that term, rather than, for example, 'Torah'. Authors, especially those whom have a very young target audience, must write in a manner that flows, for the sake of the reader's enjoyment and understanding.

exactly. that's basically what I was trying to say. [only rocket, as usual, said it better] though I'm not sure about Colfer's religion. I think that if he is not atheist, he's probably christain- but either way, he doesn't let that get into the books.
Hi people.
Dismissed. Carry on.

Multiverse
Elf

Postby Multiverse » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:40 pm

hyunjoonglovie wrote:I think it's the same as me saying "For God's Sake". Now, I'm as atheist as they come, but I use this phase, and other's like it, quite often but it sure as Hell doesn't mean I'm Christian. Basically, I'm implying that it may just be the cause of habit.

How so? I'm very interested, because as a fellow atheist, I also often think in those phrases, then struggle to find a non-religious substitute, and end up not using any exclamations in general conversation; which, truth be told, seems to take a bit of the edge off my opinions. =\

Anyway, how do you think it's the cause of the habit?

levina
Commander

Postby levina » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:53 pm

Last edited by levina on Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Merv Simestra
Council Member
Real First Name: Meg
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Merv Simetra

Postby Merv Simestra » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:03 pm

I think Eoin is a Catholic. There are two simple reasons: Ireland's main religion is Catholicism and Eoin doesn't make a lot of clearly Christian references in his books but makes several references to religion in general. One's religion or worldview affects one's writings after all. Plus he's given evidence that he's a Catholic through some of his videos.
"On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God."
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble."

Procrastinator and Obsessive are my middle names.

Spoiler:
Voted Eternity Awards 2013 winner of...
Favorite Moderator/Administrator
Best Journal Writer
The Sensible One
Most Likely to Run for President
Most Devoted to AFC
and Always in the Know.
Again with the president thing.

Shameless plug: visit my website!.

Pandora Hearts, the most epic manga to have existed. 2006--2015

evilopalrocks!
Heavenly Huntress

Postby evilopalrocks! » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:09 pm

Merv Simestra wrote:I think Eoin is a Catholic. There are two simple reasons: Ireland's main religion is Catholicism and Eoin doesn't make a lot of clearly Christian references in his books but makes several references to religion in general. One's religion or worldview affects one's writings after all. Plus he's given evidence that he's a Catholic through some of his videos.

evidence like what?
either way, yes, I also thought he is most probably catholic because of the first reason.. however- nevermind relegion for a moment- I wonder what his opinions on Ireland's independence from Britain and the Irish underground actions and all that are [maybe it's because i read somthing about Ireland's fight for independence today, but still.. i wonder..]
Hi people.
Dismissed. Carry on.

Merv Simestra
Council Member
Real First Name: Meg
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Merv Simetra

Postby Merv Simestra » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:28 pm

In the last Artemis Rocks! tour video, Eoin talked about his son making his confirmation at the Catholic church. He also talked about being involved in a church Christmas program in one of his latest videos. There are probably more examples, but I don't feel like looking them up.
"On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God."
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble."

Procrastinator and Obsessive are my middle names.

Spoiler:
Voted Eternity Awards 2013 winner of...
Favorite Moderator/Administrator
Best Journal Writer
The Sensible One
Most Likely to Run for President
Most Devoted to AFC
and Always in the Know.
Again with the president thing.

Shameless plug: visit my website!.

Pandora Hearts, the most epic manga to have existed. 2006--2015

evilopalrocks!
Heavenly Huntress

Postby evilopalrocks! » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:16 am

oh... ok.. I just don't really keep track of the tour videos and such...
Hi people.
Dismissed. Carry on.

Ameer
Cave Troll

Postby Ameer » Fri May 18, 2012 1:31 pm

I recently saw Eoin at a book store, he told us a story about his childhood and he had a religious channel on his TV which had a priest reading the bible and laughing at the jokes he was either telling himself or was supposedly reading from the bible. However Eoin did quite an exaggerated impression of a priest so I don't think that Eoin takes religion very seriously. Or has one himself.

Return to “Eoin Colfer”