The wish list

Discuss the author and his other works.
seamus215
Gremlin

Postby seamus215 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:48 pm

I just didn't like it. Too futuristic and post-apoclyptic, and I found the characters a bit shallow.

ArtemisFowlIII
Atlantean
Real First Name: Anastasia

Postby ArtemisFowlIII » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:21 am

how were the characters shallow?
http://pentacle.nocturn-glare.net
The Pentacle-Check out this bartimaeus trilogy fansite and forums!
Artemis....is mine!! *defends self from attack by Frost*

Dirty Dwarf
Sprite

Postby Dirty Dwarf » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:00 am

Somebody else likes ELPH to. Yes, the Belezeebub, Myishi, ELPH thing was funny. I really like the line that ELPH says,"I am patented by Myishi Incorporated. Internal solutions for infernal problems." Have you listened to the audio book of the Wish List?
Made the sig myself.

seamus215
Gremlin

Postby seamus215 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:18 am

I don't know....I just didn't like it. Not my type of story.

Stradivari
Gremlin

Postby Stradivari » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:19 pm

it was...*different* [s]Look everyone! I didn't start my sentence with a capital letter! *shockhorror. I think I'll leave it.[/s]
Then again, It was better than 1/2 moon investigations. [s]once again, the lack of capitals. *evil smile*[/s]- though only marginally. 1/2 Moon was simply too much of a repeat, I felt. *sigh*

I still wish he had stopped at book Three of AF. Oh well.
Image~Is always feeling bad about not reviewing and loving reviews. Very Happy

Dirty Dwarf
Sprite

Postby Dirty Dwarf » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:29 am

Why do you wish Mr. Colfer would have stoped at book 3 of AF. I'm glad he kept on going.
Made the sig myself.

Gus
Master of Haven

Postby Gus » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:44 am

Dirty Dwarf wrote:Why do you wish Mr. Colfer would have stoped at book 3 of AF. I'm glad he kept on going.

The end of TEC was perfect. Completely unexpected, completely different. Completely cool. It was the perfect place to end. Artemis went so far, changed so much. And in twenty minutes, he's evil again.

A huge twist. Not "everything ends happily ever after." No "good guy saves the day."

And then he wrote TOD. He blew the mind-wipe by making Artemis good again. In TLC, Artemis is good again.

This completely ruins the original point of the series. The point was to write about a criminal as a main character. The main character is the bad guy. The good guys lose.

Now it's back to the good guys win, and Artemis is the good guy.
Image Image
My Artemis Fowl game: Part One | Part Two | Part Three

RuiLin
Mud Man

Postby RuiLin » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:23 pm

Yeah, I agree. It was such a perfect, original ending. Of course, I also like having other AF books to read, but TEC was a good spot for an ending.
Lollipops!

Whoever says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Diana
Ruler of the People

Postby Diana » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:31 pm

I loved the ending of TEC - Evil Artemis is my favorite character in the series, and I was excited about seeing more of him. Then... I didn't, because TOD was kind of lame and Artemis became not only Good Artemis, but Evilness-of-a-Marshmallow Artemis. It would've been nice to have a sequel to TEC with EVIL Arty as the main character, but if Colfer couldn't do that, then yeah, he should've stopped.
(My avatar was given its awesome existence by the benevolent Voldy.
If Cuddy doesn't look familiar, don't talk to me till you've clicked this.)

ArtemisFowlIII
Atlantean

Postby ArtemisFowlIII » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:10 am

can we not discuss how bad it is that artemis is good? there's about 10 threads about that already.

Diana
Ruler of the People

Postby Diana » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:15 am

ArtemisFowlIII wrote:can we not discuss how bad it is that artemis is good? there's about 10 threads about that already.

If you are going to complain, can you please provide a new direction in which to take the thread? Your post is pointless and whiny. Tell us what you would rather talk about. (Granted, this thread *is* getting a bit off-topic, but at least it's discussion.)
(My avatar was given its awesome existence by the benevolent Voldy.
If Cuddy doesn't look familiar, don't talk to me till you've clicked this.)

Nikita
Tweetie

Postby Nikita » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:15 pm

I'm not going to comment on the last 2 posts for fear of insulting anyone, so I'll pick up where Diana left off earlier:

I have to agree that TEC would have been a great ending, but maybe Eoin had a reason. We'll just have to wait and see what the sixth book brings us. However, that's not saying that I'm not glad for the new material. And, in regards to the Wish List, I thought it was a great book! I [s]forced my friends into reading it by imprisoning them in jail cells with an angry Opal Koboi and hid truffles in their pockets until they did[/s] reccomended it to all of my friends to read. But it was a bit repetitive. The whole Elph/Belch/Myishi thing was funny though.
Owen: You okay? Want to get a drink or something?
Cristina: Oh. Oh, now we're on again 'cause the mood suits you? Because I'm the sad little girl with no friends and I tripped your savior complex into action? Usually I can deal with the hot and cold thing, but not today. Just leave me the hell alone.

mnm_maniac
Centaur
Location: see that tiny speck of dust on your computer screen? yeah, not there.

Postby mnm_maniac » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:48 am

i think eoin uses each of his books as a basis for other books. like the myishi thing.(it was in supernaturalist[a great book] and the wishlist) this is off topic but wasnt the supernaturalist supposed to have a sequel?
hmmm....should sig raping be legal?
It's not legal! And never should be. 'Twoud take all the fun and danger out of it! *rapes sig* Ta, ta. - Holly

Avalons Healer
Swear Toad

Postby Avalons Healer » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:48 pm

I say 4 out of 5 stars. It still doesn't match up to Artemis Fowl, but it is an experiance that abused teens go through sometimes. So for Young Adult, I give it 5 stars. Humor is also very strong in "The Wish List," but it's still an amazing book. Well done, Eoin Colfer!

-Avalons Healer
You choose your life. You choose your path. You choose your destiny. And nobody can take it away from you.

-@VaLoN

ArtemisFowlIII
Atlantean

Postby ArtemisFowlIII » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:45 am

sorry about the 'whiny' post.

anyway...I've recently read the supernaturalist, so now I've noticed the whole Myishi thing. and yes, the supernaturalist has a sequel, not sure when it's coming out though. I didn't like the original all that much though, maybe because the main character wasn't a friendless mastermind.

Return to “Eoin Colfer”