Glitches in Eoin's books

Discuss the author and his other works.
unappreciatedgenius7
Gremlin

Re: Glitches in Eoin's books

Postby unappreciatedgenius7 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:50 pm

Well, with the whole Foaly and Caballine thing, Foaly didn't tell Holly that Caballine was in Police Plaza (for good reasons) and later Caballine asked Foaly to an art gallery. So Foaly did a white lie and said he met Caballine in an art gallery.
There was also the time in the second book when Holly mesmerizes Butler and tells him to put his gun down, but later on in the book when Holly and Root are trying to get rid of the goblins, Butler is sitting there with his gun, but no use because of the range. That one always drove me insane.
Also in TAC when Foaly says in defense that he rides to work on a tricycle, and then in TLG he has a rusty old truck.
---98% of teenagers do or have tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.---

---92% of teens would be dead if Ambercrombie and Fitch said it is uncool to breath and the other 8% would be laughing if you agree put this on your siggy.---

Emmi-Kat
Pixie
Real First Name: Emma

Postby Emmi-Kat » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:49 am

How would a centaur ride a trike, anyways? XD

Also, I thought of it more like a van, not a truck.
"We all have our own time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams." ~Jeremy Irons

Check out my gallery on dA! http://emmi-kat.deviantart.com/

unappreciatedgenius7
Gremlin

Postby unappreciatedgenius7 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:53 am

I'm not sure, it would be a hilarious site though. I don't know what it is but I want one, I mean a workshop in the back, must have.
---98% of teenagers do or have tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.---

---92% of teens would be dead if Ambercrombie and Fitch said it is uncool to breath and the other 8% would be laughing if you agree put this on your siggy.---

Emmi-Kat
Pixie
Real First Name: Emma

Postby Emmi-Kat » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:16 am

Heehee, I'mma draw Foaly on a trike...>:D
"We all have our own time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams." ~Jeremy Irons

Check out my gallery on dA! http://emmi-kat.deviantart.com/

elf_with_attitude
Cereal Killer
Real First Name: Holly
Location: You know that little voice in the back of your head telling you to kill people? Yeah...

Postby elf_with_attitude » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:46 pm

Gus wrote:
In TEC, Spiro says that Phonetix doesn't even have email. Then, later, he says in regard to Phonetix "That's the last snide email about stock prices I get from them!

Nope. Artemis said that the R&D department doesn't have email. But the rest of Phonetix could have email.

And on Crim, a forum I come from, we compiled a massive list of plot holes. Unfortnately, the list is a bit messy now, so I can't link it to you.

Some favourites:

Holly and Butler and the troll fall unconscious in the time-stop, Butler doing it twice.

Trouble Kelp chose "Trouble" as his first name on the day he was accepted at the LEP Academy and the day he finished the Academy.

Artemis cracks his knuckles in the first book, but hates doing that in TEC.

AF takes place in the winter (Christmas Day) but there are mentions of cherry blossoms, rhododendrons, and a "fine night."

It says that it's impossible for dwarves to burp, yet Mulch does so in AF and TSD. (And possibly TLC.)

Mulch meets Artemis in TSD, but in TAI a couple months later, he completely forgets who Artemis is.

unconsious is fine, asleep isn't
This is to be our final transmission
The rebels have defeated our illustrious armies
They have damaged our intention of ugly and defiant malevolence
All that we love and care for will sink
Into the abyss of a new dark age
Made more sinister
And perhaps more protracted
By the light of perverted science and rebellion
The whole root and heavy core
Will perish in starving captivity
You will never win your freedom
You cannot escape... F.E.A.R.

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Axxonu

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:31 pm

unappreciatedgenius7 wrote:Also in TAC when Foaly says in defense that he rides to work on a tricycle, and then in TLG he has a rusty old truck.

Oh! I missed that entirely, good catch!

unappreciatedgenius7 wrote:Well, with the whole Foaly and Caballine thing, Foaly didn't tell Holly that Caballine was in Police Plaza (for good reasons) and later Caballine asked Foaly to an art gallery. So Foaly did a white lie and said he met Caballine in an art gallery.

The bit in TLC is written like an internal musing on Foaly's part; he wasn't telling anyone anything, it was more like something he was telling the audience. The exact quote is: (again, this is page 191 in my version)
Caballine was a centaur he had bumped into at a gallery downtown. She was a researcher with PPTV by day... (etc.) One thing led to another, and now he found himself jogging with her every evening.

In TLG it says, (page 197, my version)
Then, when Holly Short was missing in another dimension, he met Caballine at Police Plaza. At least that was what he told everyone.
So it doesn't seem like they quite jibe. :\

Haha, I forgot Caballine asked him to the art gallery afterward though! To be honest, that seems to make more sense to me than that he actually went to an art gallery of his own initiative and happened to meet her there.

Oh, and I have a correction to make about something I said earlier:
page 109, it says No1's eyes are orange (well, one eye at least), but I was pretty sure his eyes had been described as yellow in TLC. (but I don't have TLC on hand at the moment, so I can't check for sure, so I could be wrong.) But maybe demon warlocks' eyes just change color?

I listen to audiobook versions of the AF series, and try to jot down notes whenever there's information about a setting or character's appearance, and I had written in my notebook that that initial description of No1 in TLC described him as having yellow eyes. But I finally looked it up the other day and I found it does say his eyes are orange after all. That's kind of discouraging now, since now I can't be sure how much of the other notes I've taken are wrong. XD Now I have to go back and change my descriptions in all my fanfictions, sigh.
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [Post TAC]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28912232/Artemis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

Athena32
Goblin
AFC Fan Fiction Name: MyshiCorp

Postby Athena32 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:09 am

It says that it's impossible for dwarves to burp, yet Mulch does so in AF and TSD. (And possibly TLC.)

The book said you should never burp while tunneling. Other than that, he can burp whenever he wants to.
I'm fine, seeing as you asked.-Foaly
Gnommish… Gnommish… What blasted translation system doesn’t have Gnommish?

Athena32
Goblin
AFC Fan Fiction Name: MyshiCorp

Re:

Postby Athena32 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:41 am

mnm_maniac wrote:
Nikita wrote:In TAFF, Colfer says in his "Are you a Fairy" quiz that trolls are under three feet tall. In AF, he completely contradicts that.

I don't think he really means that. It says 'are you three feet tall' then if you say yes, it points to 'are you intelligent'. If you say no there then it basically goes to the troll.

I want to point out that the trolls are described as pathologically stubborn in TLG, and so would probably choose under 3 ft tall, because they are the opposite. Of corse, it is possible that they would think you wanted them to chose under 3 ft tall, and would choose human instead. It's hard to understand what a troll would do, but I highly doubt that the actions would lead to the troll category, even if the height was correct.
I'm fine, seeing as you asked.-Foaly
Gnommish… Gnommish… What blasted translation system doesn’t have Gnommish?

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Axxonu

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:34 pm

Yeah, that's what Mulch says in TTP. (That one should never burp while tunneling.) But here is the problematic quote:

Artemis Fowl book 1, Chapter 7: Mulch wrote:The problem with dwarf gas was that it couldn't go up, only down. Imagine, if you will, the catastrophic effects of burping while digesting a mouthful of clay. Total system backup. Not a pretty sight. Thus dwarf anatomy ensured that all gas was passed below, actually aiding in the expulsion of unwanted clay.

Now, here are a couple of quotes where this is contradicted:

Book 1, Chapter 7: Mulch wrote: […]A light touch of fruit, but not enough to lighten the flavor. Definitely an occasion wine on the bottom rack. Mulch burped. That was good clay.

The Time Paradox, Chapter 6 I To I wrote:He [Mulch] swallowed the unfortunate creature, then funneled a mighty burp through his flapping lips.

“Never burp when you're tunneling,” he advised Artemis and Holly as casually as though they were sitting around a café table. “Dirt coming down, air coming up. Not a good idea.”

There's also another place in TTP, and a few other places in TOD and TLC.

I guess that's just one of those details that was probably easy to forget...I'm not overly concerned about it, really. XD (Personally, I really prefer the gas to come up as opposed to down.)
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [Post TAC]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28912232/Artemis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

FadingLight
Mud Man

Postby FadingLight » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:13 pm

I didn't even notice the burping thing until I read it somewhere on the Internet (I can't remember which site). I guess I didn't really mind—it was a really small glitch, and burping totally seems like the kind of thing Mulch would do, given that he loves food and doesn't mind grossing people out.

There's this one thing I don't think is a glitch, only it kept on nagging me (I think it's already been mentioned in this thread): in The Lost Colony, Butler thinks that Artemis had a backup plan for everything, including going to the washroom, while in The Last Guardian, Holly thinks that Artemis was so convinced of his superior intelligence and planning skills that there often wasn't a Plan B. It's probably just two characters disagreeing—the problem is that both know Artemis pretty well, so who's right?
I said you were smart, Mud Boy. I was wrong; are exceptional.—Qwan
Which do you think seems more suspicious? An alien-looking craft hovering in the yard of a country home, or a floating doorway with a centaur standing in it?—Domovoi Butler
We can only change the future, not the past or present.—Artemis Fowl II
I'm trying to care, Artemis. But I thought it was all supposed to be over when the fat lady sings. Well, she's singing, but it doesn't appear to be over.—Holly Short

Return to “Eoin Colfer”