Glitches in Eoin's books

Discuss the author and his other works.
opalkoboi
Heiki Koboi
Real First Name: Phoebe
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Heiki Koboi

Re: Glitches in Eoin's books

Postby opalkoboi » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:11 pm

And guess what? I just realized this: Opal parts her hair in the back of her head when she shows Holly and Artemis the scar. Your pituitary gland is located behind your eyes. If she got the surgery there, they would have had to go through a large part of her brain to put it in the right place, that is if her 'fragile pixie skull' even held up to the surgery. It would've been easier to go through her nose.

Ech-em. *Holds up sign in fron tof chest that says, "WARNING: Science Geek about to make speech, if you are scientiasesentive"* Hello, fellow Artemis Fowl fans, you are about to recieve a lecture on the brain. Well, I will try to explain the best I can without an image of the brain. First, going through the face would have left a scar on Opal's face, so of course she wouldn't have it. So, there is a way to pratically do it (well, sort of pratically) if Opal is laying on her right side go (assuming north is up) north west through the part of the back of your skull where your hair begins. go straight up through the cerebelium and around the brain stem, leading you straight to the pit. gland. Not pratical and human surgery would never think of it, but these are fairies. Sorry, I just had to do that!
I see you too! XD

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Axxonu

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:35 am

ILiveForTheDay wrote:You know something I thought of recently when reading the most recent Q&A by Christopher Poalini? How some authors can really think of everything and make minimal contradictions (i.e in the IC) and others (like EC) just go on changing things as they go, and how I really don't care about it. As long as they're minimal little things, such as grammer and a few small contradictions it really doesn't change how much you enjoy the book itself.
But I guess it's also nice when you can over-anaylze everything an author says becuase you know it's going to have some sort of importance.

Good call there, I agree. (: Unlike JK Rowling, I don't think Eoin Colfer had the AF series in its entirety planned when he was working on book 1. I know in my own experience writing that I find that pretty limiting when I start getting later on in the story and I start getting better ideas than what I had at first, but I think Colfer's work is pretty amazingly consistent in that respect, such as in the continuous buildup of various themes. And sometimes there will be something in the book that I thought was an error, but then come to realize it actually does make sense if I work to understand it.

I think it's great that we like this series so much that we're analyzing it to this extent; although glitches are problematic for fanfiction writers... When your getting into a description, do you go with an earlier detail or a later one?

Anyway, btw, this is a typo I found in TTP (american edition, I think, pg 143):
Holly smiled, feeling a little embarrassed "Artemis. You're okay. [...]"
Punctuation mark is missing after 'embarrassed.'

AFFan.lollipop
Pixie
Real First Name: Elizabeth

Postby AFFan.lollipop » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:00 am

I don't tiink this has been mentioned, but if it has, someone please correct me.

In TAI, American version. Page 90. Talking about Foaly's Safteynet.
"Touch the screen, and the micro reactor generates a six-foot diameter sphere of tri-phased light..." [Holly]

Then later:
Butler studied the tiny instrument. "Six foot radius? What about the bits that are sticking out?"

Holly says diameter than Butler says radius.
Don't blink.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more of a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey.... Stuff."

I have a lot of fandoms.
Spoiler:
Doctor Who, Artemis Fowl, Harry Potter, Elementary, Torchwood, Starkid, and Homestuck are some of them.

I'm loosing it. I lost it. Maddie ate it.

Emmi-Kat
Pixie
Real First Name: Emma

Postby Emmi-Kat » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:18 am

Wow, it's been nearly a year since anyone posted in here. I guess I get dibs on a glitch in TLG!

When Opal rebuilt her body, she excluded the toenails and the fingernails because it took too much concentration and/or time. Later, on page 255, "Opal clasped Bellico's forearm and squeezed until her nails bit into the flesh." Get a manicure, Opal?
"We all have our own time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams." ~Jeremy Irons

Check out my gallery on dA! http://emmi-kat.deviantart.com/

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:55 pm

oooh, I didn't catch that! That's right!

I took notes on things I thought seemed like they could be glitches, lol (maybe I should post about this in the 'you know you are an af nerd when' topic (; ). Let's see, I think I saw three or four. I guess I should put this in spoilers or something, just in case? :\

Spoiler:
1. page 109, it says No1's eyes are orange (well, one eye at least), but I was pretty sure his eyes had been described as yellow in TLC. (but I don't have TLC on hand at the moment, so I can't check for sure, so I could be wrong.) But maybe demon warlocks' eyes just change color?

2. page 168, Art doesn't know that a raised fist means "stop" in military sign, but he did in TLC, because he explained it to Qwan and No1 while they were on Hybras. (I think levina picked up on this too)

3. page 197, it says Foaly met Caballine at Police Plaza while Holly was gone in limbo, but I thought he was talking about Caballine all throughout TLC and had met her before Holly even got involved in the whole demon thing at all. (Then he was married to Caballine when Holly got back)

4. page 214, Artemis comments that Opal used the fat barrel "a few years ago," but at the beginning of TLG, we are explicitly told that six months have passed since the end of TAC. TAC happened in September, which places this story in February or March-ish of Artemis's fifteenth year. TTP was probably set in the summer sometime when Artemis was fourteen (considering Artemis was fourteen in TOD and we know that to have happened during the winter, and so TLC was most likely spring-ish.) Even if you try to factor in the fact that he might not have returned to the earth after the Hybras-thing at the precise same time of year (like maybe a month or two earlier, since it's "almost three years"), there's no way it's been more than a single year since the end of TTP, right?

Anyway, that's what I noticed. X3

*edit: forgot to hide it in spoilers when I finished with the post. XD
Last edited by Rocket Axxonu on Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [Post TAC]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28912232/Artemis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

artytwin
Commander
Real First Name: Fatima

Postby artytwin » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:24 pm

i noticed something in TLG, gonna spoylr it jst in case:
Spoiler:
so opal gets no nails right? but then she digs her nails in juliets arm???

anyway: EOIN COLFER ROCKS!

Emmi-Kat
Pixie

Postby Emmi-Kat » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:27 am

artytwin wrote:i noticed something in TLG, gonna spoylr it jst in case:
Spoiler:

I just said that.
"We all have our own time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams." ~Jeremy Irons

artytwin
Commander

Postby artytwin » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:49 pm

Emmi-Kat wrote:
artytwin wrote:i noticed something in TLG, gonna spoylr it jst in case:
Spoiler:

I just said that.

you did? oh srry. i didnt read any of this, i was to lazzzyyy! (as always)

Emmi-Kat
Pixie

Postby Emmi-Kat » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:30 pm

That's okay, Artytwin!

RickW
Goblin

Postby RickW » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:10 pm

In The Last Guardian it is said that Artemis never has a plan B because his plans A never fail. But in The Last Colony it is said that Artemis ALWAYS has a plan B, even for toilet visits.
GREETINGS!!

artytwin
Commander

Postby artytwin » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:16 pm

omg. i dont want to come to this thread again (or whatever it is u call it...) i want to keep on thinking that EC's creations are perfect!

Emmi-Kat
Pixie

Postby Emmi-Kat » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:52 pm

Spam!!! Why!?!?!?!

artytwin
Commander

Postby artytwin » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:30 am

hehe. i want to think that EC is perfect. it will ruin me if that thought is disturbed!

Emmi-Kat
Pixie

Postby Emmi-Kat » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:16 pm

Hehe, I wasn't talking to you. There were people posting rx ads as spam.

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:54 am

So, I got a copy of TLC and looked up the bit I thought I remembered that talked about Foaly's meeting with Caballine. In TLC (page 191 in my version, in Chapter 8 ), it does expressly mention that Foaly met Caballine at an art gallery downtown, or at least it's very strongly implied.

RickW wrote:In The Last Guardian it is said that Artemis never has a plan B because his plans A never fail. But in The Last Colony it is said that Artemis ALWAYS has a plan B, even for toilet visits.

Yeah... I don't think I remembered that part from TLC specifically, but that comment didn't sit right with me either. Part of what made Artemis such a brilliant tactician was that he always made sure to cover all the angles, including have lots of backup plans. Just having one 'flawless' plan for everything seems kind of... I don't know, foolhardy maybe, because in a military situation there's always bound to be factors you couldn't account for.
Last edited by Rocket Axxonu on Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [Post TAC]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28912232/Artemis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

Return to “Eoin Colfer”