U.S vs. U.K?

This is the place to go to talk absolutely rubbish, relax and make some friends!

U.S or U.K? where do you like better?

U.S.
45
56%
U.K
36
44%
 
Total votes: 81

User avatar
I rock
Pixie
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:02 pm
Real First Name: Ponmathi
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Captain Grammar
Location: Like I'm supposed to know. Pffft.
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: U.S vs. U.K?

Postby I rock » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:50 am

Hahah,
There actually was an UK vs. US match in Fifa world cup. It ended up as a 1-1 draw. Well, that proves that they both rock and are completely even. :laughing: Well, I'm in no position to say anything. I'm Indian. MWAHAHAHA
ImageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.


I <3 The Blind Guardian....don't know what it is? GOOGLE TO DA RESCUE...
You can't spell Party without Arty....lolz
I <3 You
Yes, I mean you, you hunk...
AM I CREEPING YOU OUT YET?

User avatar
ILiveForTheDay
Golden Acorn Officer
Posts: 1723
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:48 pm
Real First Name: ForeverDay
Location: A little town I like to call home.
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: U.S vs. U.K?

Postby ILiveForTheDay » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:31 pm

I think this entire thing is slightly unfair. Has anyone actually seen the size of the UK on a map?

Then again I am slightly biased.
☺ ☻ ♥ ♠ ♣ ♦ • ◘ ♫ ☼ ☺ ♪ ♀ ◄ ↕ ‼ ► ↑ ↓ → § ← ∟ ↔ ▼ ▲ ! " £ $ % ^ & * ( ) _ + ¿

Grady: 'Cuz everytime you try to do something nice for us we end up sad
Nico: Or injured
Grady: Or in Mexico. . .

***
It's ALIVE.

☺ ☻ ♥ ♠ ♣ ♦ • ◘ ♫ ☼ ☺ ♪ ♀ ◄ ↕ ‼ ► ↑ ↓ → § ← ∟ ↔ ▼ ▲ ! " £ $ % ^ & * ( ) _ + ¿

User avatar
Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles
Posts: 6887
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:57 pm
Real First Name: Katarina
Location: The land of Kitty (: aka. London
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: U.S vs. U.K?

Postby Kitsy » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:17 am

How does the size of a country mean anything? By that logic, I reckon Russia pwns us both.
Image
Silly little foul black twisted heart I am!
http://superkits.tumblr.com

User avatar
Purple_Enigma
Pixie
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:11 pm
Location: Yeah, as if I'll tell.
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: U.S vs. U.K?

Postby Purple_Enigma » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:27 pm

lol how about neither? I don't really know ENOUGH about either countries...I know the general stuff, but since I wouldn't feel comfortable commenting on it w/o living in the countries, I'm just gonna keep my trap shut.

India all the way!! :p
TAC
Spoiler:
'I must go,Butler,' said Artemis firmly.'My mind is eating me alive.I think the guilt is the main problem.I must do whatever I can to atone.'
'And?' said Butler,unconvinced.
Artemis held his arms out so that Foaly could drape the suit sleeves over them.
'And I will not be beaten by that jackass.'
'Jackass?'said Foaly,wounded.‘My favourite uncle is a jackass.'


From here
Spoiler:
If asked in class what the Avada Kedavra curse does, yelling "It does DEATH!" may be correct but is not the manner in which one should answer.
The proper way to report to Professor McGonagall is "You wanted to see me, Professor?" Not "I have it on good authority that you have no evidence."
I will not tell the Ravenclaws that they're basically useless because Hogwarts' smartest student is in another house.
I will not conjure up lemons and say-Life hath given thou LEMONS!

Image

EA 2011 - The Member who is Always in the Know :D :D

User avatar
Dontmovethefilesevil
Pixie
Posts: 335
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:19 am
Real First Name: Does not exist
Location: Somewhere shooting 47 Avada Kadavra's at someone, also known as an AK-47.
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: U.S vs. U.K?

Postby Dontmovethefilesevil » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:33 am

Gotta support the home country, even if some of it's population has the intelligence of a pineapple.
ImageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.



Muahahahaha I am the evil ruler of the universe and will KILL you


"Do you know how many legs are on that stool, Arty? Three. Only three and that's not a good number for you. Not at all. Three is nearly as bad as four and we all know what four sounds like in Chinese, don't we?"The Atlantis Complex


GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.


User avatar
ILiveForTheDay
Golden Acorn Officer
Posts: 1723
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:48 pm
Real First Name: ForeverDay
Location: A little town I like to call home.
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: U.S vs. U.K?

Postby ILiveForTheDay » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:48 pm

I'd just like to point out something. America brought us Twilight. England brought us Harry Potter.

:lick:
☺ ☻ ♥ ♠ ♣ ♦ • ◘ ♫ ☼ ☺ ♪ ♀ ◄ ↕ ‼ ► ↑ ↓ → § ← ∟ ↔ ▼ ▲ ! " £ $ % ^ & * ( ) _ + ¿

Grady: 'Cuz everytime you try to do something nice for us we end up sad
Nico: Or injured
Grady: Or in Mexico. . .

***
It's ALIVE.

☺ ☻ ♥ ♠ ♣ ♦ • ◘ ♫ ☼ ☺ ♪ ♀ ◄ ↕ ‼ ► ↑ ↓ → § ← ∟ ↔ ▼ ▲ ! " £ $ % ^ & * ( ) _ + ¿

User avatar
Purple_Enigma
Pixie
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:11 pm
Location: Yeah, as if I'll tell.
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: U.S vs. U.K?

Postby Purple_Enigma » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:45 am

ILiveForTheDay wrote:I'd just like to point out something. America brought us Twilight. England brought us Harry Potter.

:lick:


Hmm true, but India gave us the number 0 which is equal to the number of awesome characters in Twilight. I keed, I keed. I quite like Jasper, tbh. But that's about it.
TAC
Spoiler:
'I must go,Butler,' said Artemis firmly.'My mind is eating me alive.I think the guilt is the main problem.I must do whatever I can to atone.'
'And?' said Butler,unconvinced.
Artemis held his arms out so that Foaly could drape the suit sleeves over them.
'And I will not be beaten by that jackass.'
'Jackass?'said Foaly,wounded.‘My favourite uncle is a jackass.'


From here
Spoiler:
If asked in class what the Avada Kedavra curse does, yelling "It does DEATH!" may be correct but is not the manner in which one should answer.
The proper way to report to Professor McGonagall is "You wanted to see me, Professor?" Not "I have it on good authority that you have no evidence."
I will not tell the Ravenclaws that they're basically useless because Hogwarts' smartest student is in another house.
I will not conjure up lemons and say-Life hath given thou LEMONS!

Image

EA 2011 - The Member who is Always in the Know :D :D

User avatar
Exit
Tunnel Blue Spider
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:22 am
Gender: Male
Status: Offline

Re: U.S vs. U.K?

Postby Exit » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:45 pm

Disclaimer: I've only been to the US and never to the UK. I like the US politically better, I think, but the UK has WAAAAY better popular music. I'm a big electronic music fan and dubstep/drum and bass being in the charts over there seems to be the norm. Needless to say, I am really jealous of that; here in the US, the popular music is consistently emotionless garbage. My opinion, of course. :lick: I'm considering moving over there just for that. Trying to make it as an electronic musician in the US is difficult, to say the least.

User avatar
opalkoboi
Heiki Koboi
Posts: 1037
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:46 pm
Real First Name: Phoebe
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Heiki Koboi
Location: Forming the Ranga Revolution....MUHAHAHAHA!!!
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: U.S vs. U.K?

Postby opalkoboi » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:53 pm

Exit wrote:the popular music is consistently emotionless garbage

Don't forget shallow. It's all about drugs, sex, getting pissed....I hate popular music. Anyway...

I prefer the UK. I would not servive in the US. US high schools are renowned for bullying, as the US teens are more label-mad than UK teens, and we're pretty insane. I once met a girl on holiday and she asked my name, age, weight, then said, "So are you popular then?". xD Gotta admit, that's just weird. She was scottish, and she freaked out when she found out we were English. She was like, "Wow! You're english! That's soo cool! Mum! They're English! :shiny: " Anyway...
Also, many 16-18 yearolds and beyond, are all "Look at me, I'm so pretty and popular, everyone loves me...". And Americans freak out about everything, and UK peoples could climb out the rubble of their burnt house and say "Hm, what a rotten day". Basically, Americans over-react and the UK couldn't give a f*** about anything. Even the rescession.

Also, there is no NHS in America, which is awful because you always hear stories like "family strive to raise $400, 000 to save 3year-old's life".

Then again, America has Disney world and brilliant rollercoasters. So scratch all that. The US is better. xD (joking)
Image
I see you too! XD

Image

User avatar
Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles
Posts: 6887
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:57 pm
Real First Name: Katarina
Location: The land of Kitty (: aka. London
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: U.S vs. U.K?

Postby Kitsy » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:09 pm

"I hate popular music"? Could you make a more generalised statement? What counts as "popular"? And how can everything popular be awful when popular music ranges so much? Do you hate both Rihanna and The Killers, because they're both popular but very different music. And so what do you listen to that's not popular. You're trying to make yourself seem edgy by listening to music that other people don't, and you're failing miserably.

And of course they're about sex and drugs, they're mostly aimed at teens and that's what their lives are about. Have you ever listened to The Cure? They're not "popular" as such (though "popular" is a term I hate) but they're still about that.
Image
Silly little foul black twisted heart I am!
http://superkits.tumblr.com

User avatar
Exit
Tunnel Blue Spider
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:22 am
Gender: Male
Status: Offline

Re: U.S vs. U.K?

Postby Exit » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:08 pm

Kitsy wrote:"I hate popular music"? Could you make a more generalised statement? What counts as "popular"?


A miscommunication on my side. What I mean is "pop music," which is recognized as a distinct style of songwriting. I call it "popular music" simply because that's the long-form, but it is partially outdated and incorrect, and I can understand why you took it that way. Sorry about that.

Kitsy wrote:And how can everything popular be awful when popular music ranges so much? Do you hate both Rihanna and The Killers, because they're both popular but very different music.


I sense you wouldn't have said this had I been more clear. There are of course exceptions to the rule of pop music; for example, Savage Garden is a fantastic pop act. To answer your question, I like the Killers' first album and about half of their b-sides collection, but after that I think their songwriting really took a nose dive. As for Rihanna, she has a great voice but her songs are never up to the task of supporting it.

Kitsy wrote:And so what do you listen to that's not popular. You're trying to make yourself seem edgy by listening to music that other people don't, and you're failing miserably.


Please do not assume I listen to the music I do because I want to appear different. I listen to it because I enjoy it.

Kitsy wrote:And of course they're about sex and drugs, they're mostly aimed at teens and that's what their lives are about.


I partially disagree here, even though this comment wasn't aimed at me. Pop music does deal a lot with those topics because they are aimed at teens. However, in my earlier teenage years, I wasn't listening to songs about those topics because I simply wasn't interested in sex or drugs. Music like that didn't speak to me, so I often sided with punk rock about politics or alternative/"art" rock about stress or worry. So, what you said is too broad to be taken as completely true.

Kitsy wrote:Have you ever listened to The Cure? They're not "popular" as such (though "popular" is a term I hate) but they're still about that.


The Cure are pretty good; as I've grown up, I've appreciated them more. What makes their songs about sex more interesting to listen to than pop songs about sex is their sonic depth. The Cure specialize in creating a layered, textured sound that sucks you in. Pop music very rarely has that same immersion factor.

Once again, apologies.

User avatar
Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles
Posts: 6887
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:57 pm
Real First Name: Katarina
Location: The land of Kitty (: aka. London
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: U.S vs. U.K?

Postby Kitsy » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:44 pm

Ah, that does explain alot. :P The "edgy" comment was aimed at opalkoboi btw, not you, because of prior information about her.

I completely agree that two songs (your example of one being pop, the other the Cure) talking about the same you can say that they hate pop music because it's about "shallow" things like sex, drugs etc., as Opal did, because those are perfectly valid topics and hardly "shallow" at all. They maybe wouldn't be accessible for young teens, but I would say that it's mostly older teens and "young people" that listen to this sort of music, and it would most likely be relevant to them.
Image
Silly little foul black twisted heart I am!
http://superkits.tumblr.com

User avatar
opalkoboi
Heiki Koboi
Posts: 1037
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:46 pm
Real First Name: Phoebe
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Heiki Koboi
Location: Forming the Ranga Revolution....MUHAHAHAHA!!!
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: U.S vs. U.K?

Postby opalkoboi » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:18 pm

Popular music = stuff in charts

I just hate meaningless songs, I mostly like listening to stuff with a meaning/message, and I find songs about sex/drugs/whatever really annoying, because I hate the message that sex/drugs/alcohol is all fun and normal everyday behavour. So I don't listen to popular music, and a lot of old stuff to. In what way is that "edgy"? It's just a taste in music, just because it isn't like most people's my age, it isn't edgy. I listen to a few modern songs, very few, but mostly it's non-mainstream stuff/old stuff like Eels, Johnny Cash, Abba, Mika, and Superchick. You're being a bit uptight and silly about a taste in music, don't you think? It's as if you want to pick apart what I say to take a hit at me.
Image
I see you too! XD

Image

User avatar
Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles
Posts: 6887
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:57 pm
Real First Name: Katarina
Location: The land of Kitty (: aka. London
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: U.S vs. U.K?

Postby Kitsy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:19 am

Songs about sex or drugs aren't meaningless - sex tends to link to love, which is what almost every song is about. And drugs are a very important and immediate problem in our society, so them being addressed through music is not meaningless in the slightest. Sure, you may like a different topic for songs, but you can't just damn "popular" music that's in the charts as all being crap because you don't like it.
And come on, Johnny Cash? He had a huge drug problem, was an alcoholic and slept with loads of women - are you saying that that doesn't come through in his music? That's what makes his music so timeless - he touches on the problems and issues in life that a) mean alot to him and b) that other people can identify with. And how can you say Abba aren't "popular" music? Or Mika? Sure, they might not be in the charts right this second, but they were once.

The "edgy" comment is not because you like a different type of song lyrics, but because you dismissed all "popular" music, which is a huge generalisation, and you look like you're trying to make yourself seem "edgy" and "different" because you don't listen to it.

I'm picking apart what you're saying because it was an ignorant point, not because I want to "take a hit" at you, I wouldn't waste my time.
Image
Silly little foul black twisted heart I am!
http://superkits.tumblr.com

User avatar
hyunjoonglovie
Elf
Posts: 682
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:40 am
Real First Name: Jess :P
Location: Latitude: 28° 0' 0 S, Longitude: 153° 25' 60 E
Gender: Female
Status: Offline

Re: U.S vs. U.K?

Postby hyunjoonglovie » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:24 am

I LOVE POP MUSIC!!! ESPECIALLY SONGS LIKE 'FRIDAY'!!!!!!!!! lol jks... I just had to say something :P Rock is more my thing, Tokio Hotel, Dead by April blablabla

Anyway, I would have to say from my little knowledge on both the U.S and the U.K, I would prefer to travel to the U.K, and I actually want to live there for a while.

I like the history and the culture, plus I want to see London, ride the Tube, go on the London eye, see Big Ben go to an English pub etc..

Also, I think on some sub-conscious level, I like how connected the U.K is. What I mean, is that it is close to all these European countries, all of this culture just waiting for me to dive into to XD. U.S in my mind does not paint the same picture (Oh gosh, it sounds like I am having a go at America o_O... That is not my intention!!)

Also, when I think U.K, I think rain, cold, winter fashion, tea, ancient (medieval) culture etc. These things all appeal to me.
When I think U.S, I see sun, beach, movies, modern society blablabla. These things don't appeal to me much at all, simply because I live in Australia and am used to all of this.

*just a side note: because I have this feeling that someone is going to have a go at me for what I said above, please keep in mind that those are literally just the things that pop into my mind instantaneously. Obviously I know that they are not applicable to an entire country XD
We all have a dark side...

Image

Spoiler:
That awkward moment when someone says "hi" to you, and you reply with "I'm good"... -_-

That shite moment in an argument when you realise you are wrong...

That awesome moment when the teacher asks you a question, thinking you weren't being attentive. Then you answer it right, it's like "What now! WIN!!!"

That depressing moment when your mum scribbles on the award your school gave you in congratulations for all your hard work, just to get her stupid pen to work D':


But you love me XD


Return to “The Offtopic Forum!”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Artemis Fowl Confidential Fan Forum : Disclaimer
cron

Login  •  Register