Challenge, The Second - CLOSED.

Moderator: RPG-Forum Moderator

Cat Moon
Commander
Location: HIVE - The Higher Institute of Villainous Education

Re: Challenge, The Second - Extension!

Postby Cat Moon » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:27 pm

Right! I'll do the first and second - hopefully I can get it in in time - if not I'll do 1, 2 and 3 together!!!
Thankyou for my avvie, Rain! I luv it!!! :laughing:

Do not let the Cat out. No matter what I tell you. :shiny:

Never say that! Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! Because if we fail, I'd rather fail really hugely. All or nothing!
~Moist von Lipwig

+++Out of cheese+++Divide by Cucumber Error+++Please reinstall universe and reboot+++~Discworld

Lime Yay
Ten o' clock

Postby Lime Yay » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:05 pm

Kitsy wrote:I can't wait to sit down and read them all :D I'll probably start tomorrow morning.

Just a heads up - from now on I'm going to announce them in the order of lowest to highest points. Let me first remind that if you got lowest, it doesn't necessarily mean that you are bad, simply that you need to improve.
I know this could seem quite harsh, but that way people can see how they're improving, what they're better at etc. instead of just seeing the two top ones.

Any objections to that?

No objections to that, but it reminds me--

I kind of like the idea of the stories being anonymous. Except the winners, of course. That way if you didn't do such a good job you know it, but no one else can judge you for not being good.

I don't know. People might find it more interesting to associate a name with a piece, but I don't feel that compulsion, and I think it's less harsh that way. Not that I think being the loser of the 2nd Duel of Inkspills challenge for all of AFC to know is too harsh, lol. Just an idea if anyone agrees/disagrees with me.

~Lime Yay
Thanks to Diana for the sweetest (erm... sourest?) signature ever!

Winter
Pixie

Postby Winter » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:38 pm

Maybe it could be an option when submitting it? ie, you could put 'Challenge 2 - anonymous submission' in the topic heading when sending the PM? Personally, I'd prefer it if our name stayed with the piece. Not only for copyright reasons, but also because I really like getting criticism, and I'm not going to get any if people don't know who to direct it to ^^;
"I write, therefor I am"

Image Image
DeviantART | Twitter | Before I Die
(A/H fanfic)

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles
Real First Name: Katarina

Postby Kitsy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:51 pm

When I get all the entries in I will send a PM asking if they want to keep it anonyomous - that's a good idea Limey (: And Limeyyzzzz, are you entering something yes?
Silly little foul black twisted heart I am!
http://superkits.tumblr.com

Lime Yay
Ten o' clock

Postby Lime Yay » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:40 am

Kitsy wrote:When I get all the entries in I will send a PM asking if they want to keep it anonyomous - that's a good idea Limey (: And Limeyyzzzz, are you entering something yes?

I don't know. :/ I kind of want to, because I've been researching death rates all day for work, and I'm in a death kind of mood :P, buuuut. I am also tired and lazy. So, we'll see.

~Lime Yay

EDIT: Wow, I actually did it! I haven't written in forever (ehh, evident by my piece). I can't say it's something I'm proud of or that I think is well-written, but I'm so glad I got to practice. So I feel mixed. I'm both disgusted and overjoyed.

Griffar
Commander
Real First Name: Alex
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Griffar

Postby Griffar » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:35 am

I'm sure yours will be fine Limey.

Kitsy, have you got an idea on when they will be announced?

I know you love one hundreds and thousands

Your Tears don't fall, they crash aroud me

Her conscience calls, the guilty to come home

gotta love Bullet For My Valentine

crystal_clear
but you can call me Awesome
Real First Name: O rlly nao?

Postby crystal_clear » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:48 am

(I say Thursday, but that's because I'm impatient.)

Well, anonymousness is nice, but the only problem is that everyone will know whose each one is, because of the same names used and the like, etc. etc.

I do like the idea of having it from least points to most points, though.

I'm going to send mine in in a few minutes, my friend is just reading it through to make sure it makes sense XD
Facebook: Stealing every aspect of your daily life and using it in our plan to dominate the world through mind control and hamster wheels since 2006.

Griffar
Commander
Real First Name: Alex
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Griffar

Postby Griffar » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:17 am

If my mates were around I get them to read over it but since only my brother is here, and I don't want any of my family to read anything I write, I had to edit it all myself. So there are going to be a few grammar mistakes which I didn't pick up on. And It's too late to get it back.

I know you love one hundreds and thousands

Your Tears don't fall, they crash aroud me

Her conscience calls, the guilty to come home

gotta love Bullet For My Valentine

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles

Postby Kitsy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:22 am

I'm afraid you guys won't get it by Thursday (as I'm out seeing Harry Potter tonight :D and badminton-ing tomorrow) but hopefully by Friday morning. Plus, I want to get someone else's opinion on them to be faiirrr.

Okay, for this competition it will not be anonymous just because we're using the same characters. From the next challenge onwards, it can be if you want (though the next challenge will probably be done in groups/pairs so that might not work).

crystal_clear
but you can call me Awesome
Real First Name: O rlly nao?

Postby crystal_clear » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:13 pm

Lol XD

I didn't expect it to be done by Thursday. We'll call it wishful thinking on my behalf.

Yeah, I just told a bunch of people on msn to check their email and let me know what they think. (I'm the same way, Griffar, I don't show my family my writing... Don't know why. It's probably because it wouldn't be what they expected at all... :/)
Facebook: Stealing every aspect of your daily life and using it in our plan to dominate the world through mind control and hamster wheels since 2006.

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles

Postby Kitsy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:42 pm

Ah, you may be in luck CC! Plans got moved from Thursday to Friday, so maybe your wishful thinking will not be realistic thinking xD

BkkprGirl
Kid with the Typewriter
Kid with the Typewriter

Postby BkkprGirl » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:17 pm

Aaah.... I don't know if I'm going to have time to turn mine in! It's still not done and I'm super busy today, and I can't just write it really fast because I feel mean killing my character off....
"Stories are the only thing worth dying for."
~The Unwritten

hollyshort_reconjock
Commander
AFC Fan Fiction Name: aliasZ

Postby hollyshort_reconjock » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:21 pm

I don't think I'm going to enter this competition... I haven't even started because I've been so busy! *sob( And I had this whole big thing planned for my character's death...

I kinda want you to extend the due date, but you shouldn't because then people will get impatient, and I know all too well how hard that can be on someone. I guess I'll just bypass this competition... *sigh*
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Lime Yay
Ten o' clock

Postby Lime Yay » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:55 pm

Kitsy wrote:Plus, I want to get someone else's opinion on them to be faiirrr.

:shiny: Can I be your second (or third) opinion?

Jkz, wishful thinking. I know it wouldn't be fair, etc.

However, do you have a point system set up, or is it more lax or more detailed? Like do you tally grammatical errors or inconsistencies? I'm not saying you SHOULD or anything; it's not as if your grading hundreds or for a serious endeavor, but I was wonder if you had a methodology/what is it. Just for fun.

~Lime Yay

Kitsy
Fufububbles
Fufububbles

Postby Kitsy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:34 pm

Well, for each challenge there's a different set of things to be marked by. For example I gave an individual mark here for how well they explained the history/backstory of the character and a mark for how good the characterisation/emotion was (as that's pretty important when you're dying.) For the last challenge I gave marks for how original the characters were and how, as a first post, it would make the rest of the role-play interesting.
Those are just general marks out of 5. And then for each challenge you're graded for grammar, writing skill (how well it flows and reads etc.) Those are out of 5 too, but I don't go through marking each thing they do wrong. If there are lots of mistakes or it doesn't read right, then they'll get a low mark whilst if it's generally good and few mistakes, they'll get a higher mark. :D Hope that explains it all.

If you're online later, I may ask you to help actually. Obviously you wouldn't be marking your own piece, you'd be looking over and seeing if the marks I gave them are accurate. This'll only be if Voldy can't get online, and even though it would probably be unproffessional it doesn't matter 'cause we all know you're sensible and lovely :D

Return to “A Duel of Inkspills”