Artemis Fowl anime?

The Artemis Fowl Movie is coming... On the 26th July 2013, Disney, in association with Harvey Weinstein, announced that a movie covering the events of the first two books was finally in the works!

Would you like Artemis Fowl as an anime series?

Yes
68%
No
32%

Total votes: 160

Tenzen12
Pixie

Re: Artemis Fowl anime?

Postby Tenzen12 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:00 pm

Do you realy think that americans would be make europian books in japanese style without any reason? When I said it work both way I did not meant it like that.
Spot light steeling squad
Spoiler:
Criminal: Who are you guys!?
Tiger: You mean us? We're-
Blue Rose:We're the heroes of this town! [Steps on criminals face] My name is Blue Rose. We keep the peace in Sternbild at all times!
Tiger: ...What she said.
—Tiger and Bunny

Wolverine: Stay on topic, bub! This movie's about me!
Rorschach: Weren't all the X-Men movies about you?
— I'm A Marvel... And I'm A DC: Wolverine and Watchmen

Heroic Blue screen of Death
Spoiler:
Artemis: I don't like lollipops...

Venkman: Ray has gone bye-bye, Egon... what've you got left?
Egon: Sorry, Venkman, I'm terrified beyond the capacity for rational thought.
—Ghostbusters

Antonio: Hey, Blue Rose, help us out!
Karina(Blue Rose): Daughter... Wife... Haha. Hahaha... *eye twitch*
Antonio: It's no use! We broke her!
—Tiger and Bunny (get know her crush better... he is widower, though)

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:38 pm

Yes, I think they would make it into a cartoon if they really wanted to. But the UK could potentially do it too, not just America.
ImageImage Image

Obsessed with...Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Artemis Fowl, Maximum Ride, Avatar the Last Airbender....and proud
I am eternally greatful to xybolic for introducing me to Ouran High School Host Club, which I am now completely obsessed with!! :loveeyes:

"The same blood flows in my veins. The same weakness." - Aragorn, FOTR

"Don't worry Sam. Rosie knows an idiot when she sees one." - Frodo, FOTR

"Put aside the ranger. Become who you were born to be." - Elrond, ROTK

"Haruhi and I are the main chracters, so we're obviously love interests!" - Tamaki, OHSHC

Tenzen12
Pixie

Postby Tenzen12 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:39 pm

Either UK or America could do it like cartoon, what I mean they would do it like cartoon not like anime. avatar were exeption and even though western and japan animations geting close it was uniqvue project and for long time it remain one. If western world decide do AF as animation it definitely wouldn't be in anime style.

You have to see it from marketing point of view. West world isn't used to anime style so it would lost fair part of AF fanbase, many people who doesn't know AF wouldn't watch it especialy for style of animation and otaku would act repulsive for western imitation as well. Even if you like anime thinking somethin different wouldn't be objective. Most people doesn't!
Spoiler:
Blue Rose:We're the heroes of this town! [Steps on criminals face] My name is Blue Rose. We keep the peace in Sternbild at all times!
—Tiger and Bunny

Spoiler:

—Ghostbusters

lotrfan
Commander

Postby lotrfan » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:34 pm

Yeah, I guess you're right. It wouldn't really make sense to make a cartoon of this book when a lot of people in America are unfamiliar with it. That's why a movie is so much better, because it is shown worldwide, not just on a kids tv channel.
ImageImage Image

Obsessed with...Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Artemis Fowl, Maximum Ride, Avatar the Last Airbender....and proud
I am eternally greatful to xybolic for introducing me to Ouran High School Host Club, which I am now completely obsessed with!! :loveeyes:

"The same blood flows in my veins. The same weakness." - Aragorn, FOTR

"Don't worry Sam. Rosie knows an idiot when she sees one." - Frodo, FOTR

"Put aside the ranger. Become who you were born to be." - Elrond, ROTK

"Haruhi and I are the main chracters, so we're obviously love interests!" - Tamaki, OHSHC

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Axxonu

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:25 pm

I suppose the most we could probably hope for then is some anime influence then in the artwork, since I think it is becoming more common to borrow/incorporate aspects of styles and such from other cultures. I mean, one doesn't necessarily have to like or even know what anime is to enjoy a program that's in an anime style or has an art style that at least vaguely resembles anime. It might not even be overt enough that the audience would even recognize it.

Like, for instance, I went to my grandparents house this summer and my sister and I watched this show (I think it might have been one of those Feature Films for Family type deals) that we used to watch a lot when we were younger. Although I had vaguely realized it was probably an anime of some kind a few years ago, when we watched this time I was really surprised by just how "anime-ish" it was (it was clearly a dubbed version of an originally Japanese program), though when we were younger we hadn't even contemplated it being any different from the other animations we watched back then.

So, I think an anime-style or vaguely anime style could be successful, even if they didn't advertise it as such (even if it's unlikely they would do that). I think they would be more likely to make a CGI if they were going to make it animated though, since they haven't been doing much in the way of animations recently. :\ (at least for movies)
Last edited by Rocket Axxonu on Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Exit
Tunnel Blue Spider

Postby Exit » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:03 am

I voted no. Disclaimer: I am not at all a fan of anime, and don't consider myself very knowledgeable about it either. I do think there's a possibility that it could be done well.

When you're approaching graphic art, you have to think of the art style that would best fit the world. I don't think any form of anime, realistic or stylized, would serve Artemis Fowl well. On the realistic side of things, it wouldn't be capable of bringing out the magic in a satisfying fashion, simply because realistic anime deals in the bare bones of the style. On the stylized side, the series' depth and complexity would be downplayed because there would be a lot of exaggeration in the characters' emotions, conflicts, and desires. The problem is, if we molded anime to fix those problems, the vitality of the art form would be reduced. Committing to a style is very, very important, and by compromising some of anime's characteristics, we would be losing that commitment.

I can't really think of an alternative art form that would suit the world better. In fact, I'm not sure I want to. I think passing it on to a really creative artist, or team of artists, who can interpret the world as accurately as possible in a way I haven't ever seen before would be the best. It would give Artemis Fowl a unique place in animation, just like the series has a unique place in literature.

Also, I really don't care who it appeals to as long as it stays true to the books.

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Axxonu

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:39 am

Exit wrote:I voted no. Disclaimer: I am not at all a fan of anime, and don't consider myself very knowledgeable about it either. I do think there's a possibility that it could be done well.

When you're approaching graphic art, you have to think of the art style that would best fit the world. I don't think any form of anime, realistic or stylized, would serve Artemis Fowl well. On the realistic side of things, it wouldn't be capable of bringing out the magic in a satisfying fashion, simply because realistic anime deals in the bare bones of the style. On the stylized side, the series' depth and complexity would be downplayed because there would be a lot of exaggeration in the characters' emotions, conflicts, and desires. The problem is, if we molded anime to fix those problems, the vitality of the art form would be reduced. Committing to a style is very, very important, and by compromising some of anime's characteristics, we would be losing that commitment.

When you say 'the series depth and complexity would be downplayed,' it makes me curious as to what anime specifically you're thinking of. You said you're not a fan of anime in general, but what anime have you seen?

In my experience, (and I don't know as much about anime as some) I want to say anime seems to be a very broad category, with shows in every genre you can think of just as there is for books, movies, etc. It is so broad and varied in fact that the characteristics present in the most well-known anime are by no means present in every single anime. Anime is very adaptable, and each one changes based on the atmosphere the creators wish to capture. Like how more serious anime may have much darker/neutral color schemes than bright, happy anime, or may not even contain the 'super-deformed' images of characters that anime in general is so famous for.

Since Tenzen introduced me to Code Geass, I've been thinking that would be a really good style/approach for the AF series (though not all aspects of the show would fit into a children's series, for obvious reasons X3). It's a very dramatic, but also complex series; all the technology stuff is awesome, and the emotional parts are controlled very carefully so that the emotional outbursts of characters who are ordinarily very calm/calculating have the most impact (much like in Artemis Fowl, I think). Anime can be deep, complex, subtle, etc. -- limitations don't come with anime anymore than any other kind of animation. Or so I tend to think. XD I know you don't have any special interest in anime, but if you ever wanted to look at scenes from Code Geass or others that are less mainstream than Yugioh, Pokemon, etc., I think you could look at them on YouTube... but only if you were interested. (:

Exit wrote:I think passing it on to a really creative artist, or team of artists, who can interpret the world as accurately as possible in a way I haven't ever seen before would be the best. It would give Artemis Fowl a unique place in animation, just like the series has a unique place in literature.

Also, I really don't care who it appeals to as long as it stays true to the books.

Good point, I totally agree with you there. It doesn't matter to me what style it is in exactly if the people making the show can do a good job with it that really captures the essence of the books. (:
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [Post TAC]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28912232/Artemis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

Tenzen12
Pixie

Postby Tenzen12 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:54 pm

Yeah anime is just medium, It is possible use for anything from cooking to horrors. You can as well say that books aren't suited to AF :laughing: . Anyway Code Geass and its main protagonist Lelouch is prety much evil twin of Artemis and it's existence itself proved that AF would work well as anime.
Spoiler:
—Tiger and Bunny

Spoiler:

—Ghostbusters

bluealice
Sprite
Real First Name: Alsacia

Postby bluealice » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:14 pm

Do you know what they did in Beowulf, or Avatar? The graphics and animation? That's what I'm looking forward to see. Creating Mulch is not easy by the way...
ZZZ

Amanda
Cave Troll

Postby Amanda » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:22 pm

I think Artemis anime will rock!!!!!!!!! :shiny:

T.W.B.M
Swear Toad

Postby T.W.B.M » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:20 am

Omgosh, yes! 8D But I hope they hand it to a creative artist who can capture the 'magic' of the books.

chukaliteluvver
Centaur
Real First Name: DA IDYUT.
Location: Hands poised over the keyboard, trying to remember the idea I'd forgotten.

Postby chukaliteluvver » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:52 pm

Artemis Anime???? YAYYYYYYYYYY!!!! That would totally work out!!! Except iif some IDIOT makes Arty look bad. Then i will kille that person. But, in general, It would be kewl. :laughing:
Word to the general public: I ain't dead.

I cannot be the only one that cried in the Last Guardian. I simply cannot.

artificialGenius
Sprite
AFC Fan Fiction Name: artificialGenius

Postby artificialGenius » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:15 am

Well, the Cirque du Freak/Saga of Darren Shan (written by another author in Ireland, whose name is Darren Shan) has a manga, so I guess it could happen. I don't know if I'd want it to happen, though. I guess it would depend on how the art style would be. I'd also kind of prefer it to be manga, but that's mostly because I find it easier to read manga than I do to watch anime, largely because anime seems to go on longer and I have a short attention span when it comes to watching things like that on my computer. Well, that and it seems like it would just work better that way...
Last edited by artificialGenius on Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
My avatar was made by feastings on tumblr.
"Well, you've gotta stop selling your soul to the devil. He's just gonna want more and more, it's like a drug."

chukaliteluvver
Centaur
Real First Name: DA IDYUT.
Location: Hands poised over the keyboard, trying to remember the idea I'd forgotten.

Postby chukaliteluvver » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:30 am

Fair point. I think both would be awesome. Wait. Is it actually gonna happen? I sure hope it will....(I LURVE YOU ARTY!)
Word to the general public: I ain't dead.

I cannot be the only one that cried in the Last Guardian. I simply cannot.

ProudToBeElfin
Cave Troll

Postby ProudToBeElfin » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:16 pm

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would see it in 3d too. Id pay 100 bucks to see it!!!!!:) i know many people expect a "real" movie, but anime would be so much better to capture the true awesomeness

Return to “The Movie”