Artemis Fowl anime?

The Artemis Fowl Movie is coming... On the 26th July 2013, Disney, in association with Harvey Weinstein, announced that a movie covering the events of the first two books was finally in the works!

Would you like Artemis Fowl as an anime series?

Yes
68%
No
32%

Total votes: 160

AthenaParadizo
Commander

Re: Artemis Fowl anime?

Postby AthenaParadizo » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:08 am

Well, I would really hate the idea of Artemis Fowl as an anime because.. well, it's actually quite silly. I consider myself a bit of an artist, and I just finished a totally serious (pencilled copy) portrait of Artemis II. I was browsing internet fanart for AF and all I saw was anime and manga! Artemis with long flicky hair in his eyes, Artemis with an untied tie, the list goes on. I find it a bit off-putting that the same portrait (stereotypical anime/manga guy with black hair and buttondown and tie) is all over the internet and people have the nerve to draw him again and say, "Hey, it's Artemis!"
I don't want the stereotypical guy to take over the internet fanart section! :laughing:

artificialGenius
Sprite
AFC Fan Fiction Name: artificialGenius

Postby artificialGenius » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:54 am

AthenaParadizo wrote:Well, I would really hate the idea of Artemis Fowl as an anime because.. well, it's actually quite silly. I consider myself a bit of an artist, and I just finished a totally serious (pencilled copy) portrait of Artemis II. I was browsing internet fanart for AF and all I saw was anime and manga! Artemis with long flicky hair in his eyes, Artemis with an untied tie, the list goes on. I find it a bit off-putting that the same portrait (stereotypical anime/manga guy with black hair and buttondown and tie) is all over the internet and people have the nerve to draw him again and say, "Hey, it's Artemis!"
I don't want the stereotypical guy to take over the internet fanart section! :laughing:

Well, the AF fandom is mostly teenagers, and when you get a fandom that's mostly teenagers, you also get fanart that's mostly anime-style. I do draw in that sort of style (though I occasionally try out others) and I try to make him a bit more distintive when I draw him. Of course, I'm not that good at drawing guys, so.

There are really good fanartists, though, that are on deviantART, such as Megan-Uosiu. You just have to look harder since the fandom's not as big as say, Homestuck (which has a lot of really good art), meaning that it's also harder to find great art.
My avatar was made by feastings on tumblr.
"Well, you've gotta stop selling your soul to the devil. He's just gonna want more and more, it's like a drug."

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Axxonu

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:45 pm

Hey Athena, when are you going to put this portrait up for use to see? (: (Although I still have to disagree with you that anime is 'not serious.' (; There's are lot of new and innovative designs I've seen for the characters in anime-style. In addition to Megan-Uosiu, there's iesnoth, Acaciathorn, Sorcaron1379... at least, those are some of my favorites. Anime is just a broad category for lots of different kinds of animation, so it's about capturing distinctive personalities and expressions with simplified forms, kind of like what artificialGenius was saying. Not everyone will have a thoughtful or authentic response to the subject, but then, most artists, especially young, untrained artists do. The important thing is just drawing and putting time and effort into something you enjoy, I think (: )

Hey arty, have I ever seen any of your work? Mind putting a link up? (:

artificialGenius
Sprite

Postby artificialGenius » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:49 pm

Rocket Axxonu wrote:Hey Athena, when are you going to put this portrait up for use to see? (: (Although I still have to disagree with you that anime is 'not serious.' (; There's are lot of new and innovative designs I've seen for the characters in anime-style. In addition to Megan-Uosiu, there's iesnoth, Acaciathorn, Sorcaron1379... at least, those are some of my favorites. Anime is just a broad category for lots of different kinds of animation, so it's about capturing distinctive personalities and expressions with simplified forms, kind of like what artificialGenius was saying. Not everyone will have a thoughtful or authentic response to the subject, but then, most artists, especially young, untrained artists do. The important thing is just drawing and putting time and effort into something you enjoy, I think (: )

Hey arty, have I ever seen any of your work? Mind putting a link up? (:

Uh, I drew a silly crossover picture with Homestuck and put it on dA, I could send you a link to it if you really want. I just kind of drew it when I was bored last night, so it's not the best thing ever, but I liked it enough to post.
"Well, you've gotta stop selling your soul to the devil. He's just gonna want more and more, it's like a drug."

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:40 pm

Yeah, send it to me (: (Or you could post the link in here if you felt comfortable, so anyone else could see it too... since anime images would be relevant to this topic)

So tell me, what is Homestuck exactly? Is is a television show, book, something else? I tend not to be very up on these things, lol.

AthenaParadizo
Commander

Postby AthenaParadizo » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:14 am

Rocket, I'll post the picture soon- once I darken the lines on it and get a half-decent photo of it- which may take a while.

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:11 am

Do you have any photo-manipulation software? Sometimes you can take a photo of a medium-gray pencil drawing and up the contrast and get the same effect as doing it manually. (For people who have computers that can handle it, a program called Gimp, which is kind of like a free version of photoshop, can be downloaded off the internet, and it's useful for simple editing and cleaning up images, if nothing else.) Or you could send an early copy to me and I could try to adjust the contrast and such in photoshop, just for fun to see how it came out. (Uh, yeah, I'm being kind of forward here, you definitely don't have to. I'm just throwing it out there, maybe just because I totally love photoshop. XD)
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [Post TAC]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28912232/Artemis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

artificialGenius
Sprite

Postby artificialGenius » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:52 am

Gimp is pretty awesome. I actually have Photoshop so I don't really need to use it, I just prefer the layout. But yeah, it can do most of PS's basic functions, though it does work a bit differently.

Merv Simestra
Council Member
Real First Name: Meg
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Merv Simetra

Postby Merv Simestra » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:26 pm

I think an Artemis Fowl Anime series would be interesting. :) I'm a fan of the art style, and I think an anime series would be neat. As long as they stay away from the trading cards. Those tend to get out of hand.
"On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God."
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble."

Procrastinator and Obsessive are my middle names.

Spoiler:
Voted Eternity Awards 2013 winner of...
Favorite Moderator/Administrator
Best Journal Writer
The Sensible One
Most Likely to Run for President
Most Devoted to AFC
and Always in the Know.
Again with the president thing.

Shameless plug: visit my website!.

Pandora Hearts, the most epic manga to have existed. 2006--2015

AliceFowl
Dwarf
Real First Name: Alice

Postby AliceFowl » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:21 am

But there already are Artemis Fowl graphic novels. We don't even need an amine anyway.
Alice

Cosplayer. Shinigami. Some know me as the Shiki.

Merv Simestra
Council Member
Real First Name: Meg
AFC Fan Fiction Name: Merv Simetra

Postby Merv Simestra » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:20 pm

The graphic novels aren't anime, and I think they're talking TV series or possibly an anime movie, if it comes to that.
"On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God."
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble."

Procrastinator and Obsessive are my middle names.

Spoiler:
Voted Eternity Awards 2013 winner of...
Favorite Moderator/Administrator
Best Journal Writer
The Sensible One
Most Likely to Run for President
Most Devoted to AFC
and Always in the Know.
Again with the president thing.

Shameless plug: visit my website!.

Pandora Hearts, the most epic manga to have existed. 2006--2015

Rocket Axxonu
Centaur

Postby Rocket Axxonu » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:37 am

An anime would be a totally different style from the graphic novels. (And I would love to see a manga version of the series too, lol) Just for the heck of it, if I could make a wishlist of things I wanted in an anime, I would say... let's see....

1. more attractive character designs than in the graphic novel. I mean, I'm not someone who hated the graphic novel character designs at all (I think they were good in that they fit each of the characters they represented, which believe me, is way harder to do than it sounds), but I think some kinds of shonen manga, like Death Note style, would work really well. For the technology and battles and buildup of drama, I would turn to Code Geass instead.

2. Also, the images of the technology were cool in the graphic novel, but I'd like to see something with more accuracy as far as details go. (Holly's jumpsuit should be a dull green, she should have very, very short hair, and have dark skin, and should be a lot shorter than Artemis than she was, just to name a few things)

3. If we're talking manga rather than anime, I'd like to see more dynamic handling of the layouts, similar to action-manga handling, rather than keeping so strictly to the box format. Maybe it's just because I'm so used to reading manga and it's style, but I had trouble getting emotionally engaged in the graphic novel. (Though that could in part be a time and budget issue for the artists involved; they may not have time to be more creative than they already are)

Sorry, I'm just majorly procrastinating my homework :p
“After all, absolutely no one can help but suspect a criminal, liar, and manipulator of committing crimes, lying, and manipulating. And of course, no one is more aware of that simple fact than Artemis Fowl.”

Opal sets into motion her most diabolical scheme yet, to frame Artemis and turn his closest friends against him. Only this time she has a new calculating partner who knows Artemis better than he knows himself. [Post TAC]

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8336552/1/Noble-Heart ...Shameless self-advertising, guys! C;

(And if you're really bored: http://axxonu.deviantart.com/gallery/28912232/Artemis-Fowl AF fanart. ;J)

AliceFowl
Dwarf

Postby AliceFowl » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:15 pm

oh...whatever...but still, I don't think Anime would suit it very well.
Alice

Cosplayer. Shinigami. Some know me as the Shiki.

tylerdurbin0919
Cave Troll

Postby tylerdurbin0919 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:19 pm

I take my vote back, Anime sucks.

La Souris Bleue
Tunnel Blue Spider

Postby La Souris Bleue » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:39 pm

I was never really fond of anime anyway - which, to me, means 'Japanese animated series with specific manga character designs' ; I think it's important to say it as definitions of the term seem to be numerous for many people - ; I do have some series that I like (my oh so sweet and twisted Serial Experiments Lain for example <3), but I'm really not fond of the graphic charts - in a very subjective way. Plus, I really think that a too much Asian-typed anime series/film really wouldn't suit the Artemis Fowl atmosphere : otakus would love it, other fans would hate it. No good.

That being said I really think an animated film would be very interesting ; maybe not the exact same style as in the graphic novels (which, even though it's very weird and has a lot of mistakes, is very unique and recognizable), but something that would get out of the nowadays standards (like Disney and Pixar's computer 3D with always the same character designs...), to get back to a more... classical style of animation, one what would be unique and create a real atmosphere. Maybe something like Ernest et Célestine (with its watercolor, refined and poetic style : [[img=http://www.franceinter.fr/sites/default/files/2012/11/30/514371/videos/video-42081816.jpg]+[/img]] [[img=http://cdn3.scmp.com/sites/default/files/styles/980w/public/2013/06/14/571a653972ad64d80e6ad699932981ea.jpg?itok=t4dIhS-X]+[/img]]) ; or the stop motion techniques which can be found in Aardman productions or films like Coraline.
''T'es juste assez intelligent pour te rendre compte que tu l'es pas assez ; c'est déjà pas si mal.''

~ J'aimerais pas crever un dimanche

Return to “The Movie”